What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (8 Viewers)

Lions set team records for most TE TDs, and 8 of those were inline blocking guys getting scraps. Although that TE leak that Wright turned into a game winning 51 yarder might have been the play of the year.

Honestly that’s kind of a toxic view to say the TEs were the vultures. More accurate to Jamaal was vulturing the WRs, all year. Unreal how many times a WR got tackled at the 1 or the 2. Regardless, 4th most efficient red zone offense on the year. Credit to the play calling & the OL.

TDs by position group:

RBs: 27 (23 rushing)
WRs: 13
TEs: 12

TDs by distance (52 total - offense)

1 yard- 15
2 yards - 6
3 yards - 4
4 yards - 5
5 yards - 2

Bugtgs and Commish are pretty high priorities for me. If you can pair them with Hutch, McNeil, healthy 2nd year Paschal and add another uber athlete high in the draft. I would be very happy with the DL rotation.

Yeah our waiver DTs were great this year. That’s a group I think they’ll target in the draft (we’re set at Edge/DE IMO) to upgrade. Both those guys want to come back badly. Benito Jones is another big body that gets no love but was part of why the run D got better down the stretch (Carolina being the WTFWT exception.)

Also I think we agreed on Chris Board, right? BB called him the best STer they’ll face all year.

By my rough math, the Lions went 3-6 against playoff teams this year with a +15 point differential in those games. Promising compared to the Stafford years where I felt like we only ever beat teams with losing records.
Even the losses showed promise. Lost by 3 vs both the Bills & Eagles, two teams that could face each other in the Super Bowl.

As an aside, a year ago the Lions had 8 TEs under contract (Mitchell is the 3rd rn.) When the Hockenson trade happened, it seemed so out of the blue. I’m beginning to think that decision was actually made late in the 2021 season and it just took awhile to find a deal they felt was good value. For whatever reason, he wasn’t a good fit.

Drops, injuries and poor blocking are probably the answers, but might be something internally that made them conclude he wasn’t part of the long term vision. Will probably never know. As we saw with Aaron Glenn, Aubrey Pleasant and the Okudah situation, they take the high road and don’t let that stuff leak out.
A really big part was Goff and Hock were never on the same page. Something like 5 of Goff's 7 interceptions in the year were passes in Hock's direction. Hock would not read defenses correctly and not be where Goff expected.

18 UFAs - this is a ranking of 17 Lions Free Agents. They have some disagreements with my assessments (they also left S CJ Moore off.)

Brown, Chark & Elliott can all command 8 figure, multi-year deals in the open market & likely are unrealistic. Jackson & Williams are in a pretty deep UFA RB class atm & might resign at reasonable levels. Skip, Buggs, Commish, Board, Woods, Harris, Hughes, Moore s/b resigned IMO.

We’ll need a plan to replace but Sudfeld, Bryant, Anzalone, Oruwariye & Badgley should be let go. Unless we can resign at minimal levels, those are all areas we should aim to upgrade through FA/Draft IMO.
I think Brown is the only guy of the top group I am interested in at that price. If we can't get a long term solution at RG then Brown is quality enough to start but he can also replace Jonah or Ragnow if hurt (and lets be real, Ragnow is looking at possible surgery on both feet so no guarantees he is ready). Physically, Chark is a gifted player but he also playing a role for the Lions that doesn't need significant money thrown at it IMO. I thought Elliott was fine this year but Detroit has Kerby Joseph and Tracy Walker coming back. Detroit needs more investment at S but it should be in the draft.

For the RBs, I think Jamaal is actually a priority. Now we can't overspend on him because I actually don't think he has much juice but his leadership and spirit is infectious. I hate to see him get out of the building. Jackson was very good in his small role but also feels like that should be replaced with a rookie RB who has more longterm upside.

Bugtgs and Commish are pretty high priorities for me. If you can pair them with Hutch, McNeil, healthy 2nd year Paschal and add another uber athlete high in the draft. I would be very happy with the DL rotation.

Amari, Badgley, Sudfeld, Bryant can all walk. I didn't see anything impressive from them this year. Sadly I am ready to say nearly the same from Okudah. Not sure if he got hurt again or if it was that illness he picked up but any gains he made in the first 8 weeks totally evaporated.

Mike Hughes is kind of a whatever. He played decent when he had to get in but obviously CB is the biggest need Detroit has so it's fine if he just gets replaced by FAs and rookies.

The two guys I disagree with you on are Board and Anzalone. Obviously Board is strictly a special teamer but he impressed me in that role. I thought Anzalone was one of our most improved players. I don't know what his market is but if he can stay as the starter and leader next year with the understanding he will transition to a back-up role as the Lions develop a younger player then I really would like him back.

I don't see any team lining up to sign Chark at multi-year $15 million per deal. I think the Lions get him back for a similar one-year deal he got this year, somewhere under $12 mil. He is still in the prove it category, although he did show some chemistry with Goff when he was on the field.

After Vikings loss Lions will have the Vikings second, the 55th overall pick in this years draft for the Hock trade. Then their 3rd round pick next season.

Should be able to land some good young talent this draft.

After Vikings loss Lions will have the Vikings second, the 55th overall pick in this years draft for the Hock trade. Then their 3rd round pick next season.

Should be able to land some good young talent this draft.
Just to give an idea of how valuable pick 55 could be, here are some players taken around 55 the last 3 years

Jaquan Brisker, George Pickens, Alec Pierce, Trey McBride, Pat Friermouth, Creed Humphrey, Azeez Olujari, Sam Cosmi, Jalen Hurts, Trevon Diggs, JK Dobbins, Ezra Cleveland, Josh Uche.

With the Vikings loss, we do have to send back a 4th instead of a 5th, so it's mostly a wash.

Probably the extra few slots in the 2nd is slightly more valuable.

Caught MCDC on Manning alternative MNF telecast. It was a small clip but they showed Jeff Daniels at Ford Field with Peyton. Jeff Daniels was exorcising the Curse of Bobby Layne. I guess this was televised earlier in the year on the Peyton's Places program. I wasn't aware of it till now.

Anyway, after this "cleansing" the Lions lost their next game to Miami (1-6) but then started their 8-2 run to close out the season. So, thank you Jeff Daniels. He's a true Michigander.

It makes sense. It is satisfying to finish what you have started. Several of the Lions FA are telling Brad Holmes they will sign for less of needed. This team is confident where they are headed. Ben Johnson is a class act and he stature will only grow.

Several of the Lions FA are telling Brad Holmes they will sign for less of needed.
They are? Any details on this?

Detroit Lions: John Cominsky, Alex Anzalone and Isaiah Buggs have approached Brad Holmes saying they’d be willing to take a little less to remain with the team in 2023.
That's awesome. Not trying to be a Donald Downer here but aren't those three veteran minimum salary guys already? Any of them going to draw much more than that on the open market?

Several of the Lions FA are telling Brad Holmes they will sign for less of needed.

Detroit Lions: John Cominsky, Alex Anzalone and Isaiah Buggs have approached Brad Holmes saying they’d be willing to take a little less to remain with the team in 2023.
That's awesome. Not trying to be a Donald Downer here but aren't those three veteran minimum salary guys already? Any of them going to draw much more than that on the open market?

That’s not a credible source.

Trevor Stone, founder, Pro Sports Extra

Clue one might have been the various Source? Tweet replies. It takes less than 5 minutes of google & viewing his YT content to see he’s just a dude in his basement. Literally.

That’s not a credible source.

Trevor Stone, founder, Pro Sports Extra

Clue one might have been the various Source? Tweet replies. It takes less than 5 minutes of google & viewing his YT content to see he’s just a dude in his basement. Literally.
I didn't source anything. And, sorry but verifying a story about guys like Buggs, Anzalone & Cominsky never crossed my mind.

But I appreciate the knowledge. So, you're saying there aren't any reports about Lions offering to take lower salaries to stick with the team. That makes sense. Usually I associate that with vets who have made their bank and are chasing titles.

The combination of Ben Johnson's play calling and aggressive nature of the HC make for one of the more enjoyable offenses I've seen from this team. Some fine tuning on that side and bringing in some help on defense should make them a playoff team going forward.

I don’t think Johnson would have got any of these jobs but to not even travel and interview because he wants to stay is absolutely great

I don’t think Johnson would have got any of these jobs but to not even travel and interview because he wants to stay is absolutely great
Now they need to make sure to involve Ben in grooming the next man up in case he leaves after next season.

That’s why they made TE coach Tanner Engstrand the passing game coordinator & had him heavily involved schematically this season.

This is new for us - have to go back to 2014 (Steelers DC Tyrell Austin) when we were worried about losing a coordinator. That should be the norm.

Oh, yep, it’s January, time for other teams to come sniffing around so they can pouch our staff. BB, Tomlin, Shanahan, Harbaugh, Reid, McDermott - annual rite of winter.

Our guy gets a couple interviews and the whole state goes bananas. Would be a nice thing to have to get used to, eh.

ETA - forgot Tomlin doesn’t have a coaching tree lol

Last edited:

I think Cominsky will have some interest from other teams. The defense was a lot better when he was on the field. Not sure about the other two.

Still good to hear the positive vibes about the team.

Cominsky and Buggs have both told the press they want to come back, Commish was openly campaigning on social media. Not sure if their agents loved that lol.

I thought Anzalone had the clearest answer. “Would love to come back, but of course you have to the right thing for your family.” After his rookie deal was up he did back to back one-year prove it deals. He’s going into year 7, age 29 season - hell yes he should take a money bag if someone offered it.

Any player with an opportunity to get paid should take the generational wealth. I never begrudge anyone signing a big deal. NFL is tilted so badly against the players - takes 4-5 years before you get paid market rate. What a scam.

Even if Ben was not planning to take a position, I would have thought the experience of the interview process would be beneficial to his future. Just to flat out say no is a pretty awesome statement about the Lions organization. Contrast that with Harbaugh who states he is committed to bringing a national championship to Michigan, but shows interest in multiple NFL jobs.

I have loved the job Sheila has done since taking over. She is not only the best owner the Lions have ever had, she is one of the top owners in the NFL. Every move she has made had been spot on.

I wouldn’t put much stock into that. The site it’s originally sourced from seems like total trash. Some recent posts are a video of AB getting a BJ, what looks like a fake nude picture of Giselle and how mature women can find online girlfriends.

Even if Ben was not planning to take a position, I would have thought the experience of the interview process would be beneficial to his future. Just to flat out say no is a pretty awesome statement about the Lions organization. Contrast that with Harbaugh who states he is committed to bringing a national championship to Michigan, but shows interest in multiple NFL jobs.

I have loved the job Sheila has done since taking over. She is not only the best owner the Lions have ever had, she is one of the top owners in the NFL. Every move she has made had been spot on.

Ben did interview with the Colts and Texans. It was only the Panthers interview he turned down.

Ben did interview with the Colts and Texans. It was only the Panthers interview he turned down.

Those two were probably not jobs he actually wanted. Good to get the experience of going through the interview process.

Carolina would have been a hard one to turn down. He was a walk QB at UNC, went to high school in Asheville. He might actually want to work for Tepper down the road. Better to not interview at all and cause any residual harm.

Average OC makes $1M a year with a low of around $200K. MCDC is in the bottom third salary wise, so it’s within reason Ben could have increased his salary 10x or more. But I think he kind of knows he’s not quite ready to be a HC.

Plus he genuinely loves the Lions culture. I watch his last presser every week & he’s said multiple times “it’s great when you love to come to work - that doesn’t always happen.”

I'd like to give Ben another QB to work with that would be an upgrade as the #2. Here's a free agent listing in order of 2022 salary.

I heard some of the talking heads on SiriusXM Fantasy station talking how Brady would be a perfect fit for the Lions, strong O-line to protect him. Intriguing for a super bowl push with the experience Brady has but I would think this would mess with what has and is being built for moving forward.

I thought this was interesting:

What was the Lions biggest accomplishment in 2022? (Sports Talk Detroit - 9:38)

Based off this “article” from the PoD blog:

Detroit Lions fans list the team’s biggest accomplishments in 2022

(Pride of Detroit - quick read)

Here’s what PoD liked from fan nominations:
  1. Learning how to close games
  2. Dominance in divisional play
  3. 2022 is the year SOL died
  4. 2022 Draft class
  5. Changing how the National media perceives the Lions

1) - I think of this more in terms of learning how to win in different ways. Any winning season, you’ll win close games. The 2022 Lions won close ones, they won defensive struggles, they came from behind, they won three games in cold weather.

2) - We did not dominate. We went a division best 5-1 in the NFC North, and were 3-1 close games. The win at Chicago and both GB games could have gone either way. But winning in the division is def huge.

3) - Did it? I mean I’ve been trying to kill it for years lol but go win a road playoff game. Win a division title. Winning the finale in GB was an awesome sendoff, but it would have killed SOL had it been for our spot.

4) - Third best class in the league - ya gotta give it up for the Jets & Seahawks rookie classes on both sides of the ball - and it’s great B-rad has had two good ones. Gotta keep stacking them, though.

5) WGAF? I mean….seriously. The casuals will be the last ones to know and I’m fine with that.

I think of those 5 choices I’d go with the first one. Campbell talked them about it after every win. “Hey, we ain’t gotta be perfect, but when the offense stalled hey defense you got the stop we needed” (and vice versa.)

Learning complimentary football is massively important. Someone makes a mistake, in the old days it was “Aw **** well that’s game man. We’re not good enough to make mistakes & still win.” But these guys were like “It’s alright, we got you.” Overcoming adversity is something that will always matter.

I'd like to give Ben another QB to work with that would be an upgrade as the #2. Here's a free agent listing in order of 2022 salary.

I heard some of the talking heads on SiriusXM Fantasy station talking how Brady would be a perfect fit for the Lions, strong O-line to protect him. Intriguing for a super bowl push with the experience Brady has but I would think this would mess with what has and is being built for moving forward.

Def not a good fit for Detroit, too disruptive. But why would it be a good fit for him? Detroit is not on the cusp. Haven’t won the division since 1993, haven’t won a playoff game since 1991, never been to the SB. I would think he’d want to be on a very talented team that was close. We’re not close. We had a good ten game stretch, full stop.

Super young team with a great culture. Why would we want a QB older than most of the guys dad? lol

Users who are viewing this thread