What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (9 Viewers)

So impressed with Goff, he has played SB caliber ball the last half of the season. Congrats to MCDC and staff for nurturing his growth. I had written him off at the halfway point last year. But his play has elevated the whole team.

Road victories have usually featured Williams TDs as opposed to Goff TD passes though I thought Raymond may have crossed the goal line on the long pass.

Versus the Pack Goff's accuracy was off for much of the first half. Some throws were wobbly and others were sinking into the ground. Not sure what was happening, but it got straightened out as the game went on. Anyone have some thoughts or info on this?

Reflecting on the game there were so many plays that may have broken the spirit of previous Lion teams or could have led to disastrous results.

The flea flicker TD called back due to penalty.
The INT reversed due to penalty.
Houston jumping offsides when the Pack would have punted (I think that was the only time Lions bit on a Rodgers hard count in both games)
Williams run at goal line not called a TD.
Reed's forearm shiver to a defenseless Swift not being called a penalty.
Goff's early game accuracy struggles
Badgely missed FG
Mitchell's holding call near the end of the game

But what happened was that the Lions overcame these adversities either by making plays or the Packers bailed them out by fumbling, committing penalties dropping the ball or their own missed FG.

Checking the offense team stats, Lions ranked #8 in passing TDs and #3 in rushing TDs. Detroit's 7 interceptions ranked as the 2nd lowest in the NFL.

Denver Broncos have joined the queue of teams who have asked permission to interview OC Ben Johnson

edit:

Carolina Panthers as well (Ben is a native Carolinian & was a walk-on quarterback at UNC)

Was watching the replay of the Lion-GB game and one thing stuck out. After watching it a few times How was the long catch by Raymond not a TD??

I know it did not matter as they punched it in next play but after what happened with Michigan it does matter.

Was watching the replay of the Lion-GB game and one thing stuck out. After watching it a few times How was the long catch by Raymond not a TD??

I know it did not matter as they punched it in next play but after what happened with Michigan it does matter.
I noted the same thing earlier along with the Williams no TD call. Could have challenged either. I think Campbell has said though he doesn't like to lose momentum when the team is driving and expects they will punch it in.

Speaking of Michigan ... Shame on Harbaugh for losing to TCU and for looking to go Pro after crapping the bed with the impending NCAA investigation.

I thought the same thing as it happened and got nervous thinking back to the UM-TCU game.

Thought that real time & again on the rewatch. Was surprised it didn’t get a slowed down replay & apparently the didn’t have a down the line shot.

Kalif was playing with broken ribs, and had one of his best games. I was aware he hasn’t scored a receiving TD (had a PR score v NYJ), was hoping he’d finally get one. Amon-Ra said it’s a running joke in the WR room - you better score bc if you don't Jamaal will vulture it every time.

That throw to Raymond - moving left, flipping his hips, dropping a dime on a throw of 50+, in the cold, 4th Q of a tight game - wow.

NGS overhead - Jared Goff's 43-yard pass to Kalif Raymond traveled 52.4 yards in the air, Goff's 2nd-longest completion by air distance this season. Goff is the only player to earn a max-99 NGS passing score when using play action this season.

I thought the same thing as it happened and got nervous thinking back to the UM-TCU game.
I thought the same thing initially, but if you slow it down, it looks like his butt hits the ground with the ball still a half-yard short. Can't tell for sure if the Green Bay guy was touching him yet, but he probably was.

Not enough evidence to overturn the down by contact on K Raymond's TD.
Could have been called a TD. Neither call would have been overturned if challenged

Not enough evidence to overturn the down by contact on K Raymond's TD.
Could have been called a TD. Neither call would have been overturned if challenged
I had the same thought with the later TD where it looked like JW got across the line, but would have been impossible to overturn on replay. Again, they punched it in on the next play.

I'm excited for next year, but man is the hype going to out of control, especially if they get a couple big names in the draft
Yup, being a frontrunner is an entirely different challenge.

If Minnesota makes a deep playoff run maybe they can take some of the spotlight off the Lions going into next season.

I'm excited for next year, but man is the hype going to out of control, especially if they get a couple big names in the draft

If Minnesota makes a deep playoff run maybe they can take some of the spotlight off the Lions going into next season.

The way the league is setup now it matters less tbh. You have to start over every year. In a limited amount of time on task you have to learn each other, learn to mesh, and basically learn how to win again.

Good young core, 3rd youngest roster, most [rookie] defensive snaps.

They’ll cut Bog V (cap space) and Evan Brown will go get a money bag somewhere else, so right off the bat they’ll need a starting RG + backup C. Besides resigning Jamaal, probably need to replace Chark. The latter is in a similar position as SS Deshon Elliot - did enough on his prove it deal to command $12M+ elsewhere. Not sure anyone is giving out GRIT discounts to stay with MCDC, loyalty is a quaint concept from another era. Anzalone, Buggs & Cominsky will probably be affordable resigns.

FA/Draft needs
  1. IDL (you can never have too many)
  2. LCB
  3. IOL (you can never have too many)
  4. SS
  5. NCB (you can never have too many)
  6. ILB
If Williams (+ Justin Jackson) come back, probably set in the offensive backfield. ARSB + Jamo leaves you one short of an outside WR. Reynolds & Kalif are nice depth pieces but without Chark they’re lacking an X.

OL - 80% set, Nelson could be brought back as a swing tackle, Skipper can play either guard or swing - but really need to find an affordable solution for the starting RG.

DL - good depth on Edge, McNeil + waiver DTs (Buggs & Cominsky) were OK but could use an upgrade.

OLB - probably fine with the Okwara brothers, Houston, Harris.

ILB - give the green dot to Malcolm Rodriguez, Barnes is ready to be the other starter. I’m indifferent on AA; he misses a lot of tackles & isn’t great in coverage. Need more depth esp wrt cover LBs.

LCB - Okudah is going into his final year and they can probably decline his 5th year option. Ringo or Porter Jr in the first could come in and start.

RCB - Jerry Jacobs is adequate. Probably let Oruwariye go. Hughes was is a decent 4th CB

NCB - Harris, Iffy & hopefully a 3rd/4th rounder

SS - probably need an affordable replacement to Elliot. Or drop a money bag if you don’t like anyone in the draft.

FS - Kerby Joseph got good quick. Have to presume Tracy Walker will never be the same, or at least not until 2024. He was the Lions best DB.

LS - Daly is fine
P - down year for Jack Fox after getting paid, but good hang time on kickoffs.
K - Badgely is pretty shaky outside 45, would love Moody or someone with a bigger leg to give us more options when we’re between the 30 and 40.

The way the league is setup now it matters less tbh. You have to start over every year. In a limited amount of time on task you have to learn each other, learn to mesh, and basically learn how to win again.

They’ll cut Bog V (cap space) and Evan Brown will go get a money bag somewhere else, so right off the bat they’ll need a starting RG + backup C. Besides resigning Jamaal, probably need to replace Chark. The latter is in a similar position as SS Deshon Elliot - did enough on his prove it deal to command $12M+ elsewhere. Not sure anyone is giving out GRIT discounts to stay with MCDC, loyalty is a quaint concept from another era. Anzalone, Buggs & Cominsky will probably be affordable resigns.

FA/Draft needs
  2. LCB
  4. SS
  6. ILB
If Williams (+ Justin Jackson) come back, probably set in the offensive backfield. ARSB + Jamo leaves you one short of an outside WR. Reynolds & Kalif are nice depth pieces but without Chark they’re lacking an X.

OL - 80% set, Nelson could be brought back as a swing tackle, Skipper can play either guard or swing - but really need to find an affordable solution for the starting RG.

DL - good depth on Edge, McNeil + waiver DTs (Buggs & Cominsky) were OK but could use an upgrade.

ILB - give the green dot to Malcolm Rodriguez, Barnes is ready to be the other starter. I’m indifferent on AA; he misses a lot of tackles & isn’t great in coverage. Need more depth esp wrt cover LBs.

LCB - Okudah is going into his final year and they can probably decline his 5th year option. Ringo or Porter Jr in the first could come in and start.

RCB - Jerry Jacobs is adequate. Probably let Oruwariye go. Hughes was is a decent 4th CB

SS - probably need an affordable replacement to Elliot. Or drop a money bag if you don’t like anyone in the draft.

FS - Kerby Joseph got good quick. Have to presume Tracy Walker will never be the same, or at least not until 2024. He was the Lions best DB.

LS - Daly is fine
K - Badgely is pretty shaky outside 45, would love Moody or someone with a bigger leg to give us more options when we’re between the 30 and 40.
What do you think about drafting a QB? I think they should be open to doing it wherever they think they can get good value, including potentially in the first round. Was it Belichick or someone else who said you should draft a QB every year?

Goff is fine for now but he’s not winning them a Super Bowl

The way the league is setup now it matters less tbh.
LOL. Awesome write up as always but you're viewing it through the lens of someone who follows the team...very closely. Okay, you're basically Paul Aufiero for the Lions (hopefully not a Gil Renard).

But your deep perspective won't be taken to account by the media pundits or magic football fans.

The Lions are going to have sky high expectations nationally in that division next season.

FA/Draft needs
  2. LCB
  4. SS
  6. ILB

LS - Daly is fine
What do you think about drafting a QB? I think they should be open to doing it wherever they think they can get good value, including potentially in the first round. Was it Belichick or someone else who said you should draft a QB every year?

They should be looking at a developmental QB but not until Rd3 a the earliest, imo.

FA/Draft needs
  2. LCB
  4. SS
  6. ILB

LS - Daly is fine

They should be looking at a developmental QB but not until Rd3 a the earliest, imo.

Yeah that’s one of the decision trees. Do you invest the 6th pick in QB, defender, trade back.

How often do “development QBs” taken day 2/day 3 pan out? Couple of middle round QBs who started right away (Dak, Russell), Day 1 QBs who sat 1-3 years, but I’m trying to think of round 3-7s who were development projects. Cousins was a 4th rounder who has to start bc RG3 got hurt - didn’t get that much time to develop.

FA/Draft needs
  2. LCB
  4. SS
  6. ILB

LS - Daly is fine

Yeah that’s one of the decision trees. Do you invest the 6th pick in QB, defender, trade back.

How often do “development QBs” taken day 2/day 3 pan out? Couple of middle round QBs who started right away (Dak, Russell), Day 1 QBs who sat 1-3 years, but I’m trying to think of round 3-7s who were development projects. Cousins was a 4th rounder who has to start bc RG3 got hurt - didn’t get that much time to develop.
Tony Romo is the first one who jumps to mind

FA/Draft needs
  2. LCB
  4. SS
  6. ILB

LS - Daly is fine

UDFA

Of course the GoaT in the 6th

IDK the stats but I wouldn’t be surprised if the hit rate for day 3 QBs is like 1 in 30

We're not done rooting for better draft picks. That #60 from the Vikes could move into the rocking 50s if they get bounced in the first round. Go Danny & The G-Men. 🎸

FA/Draft needs
  2. LCB
  4. SS
  6. ILB

LS - Daly is fine

UDFA

Of course the GoaT in the 6th

IDK the stats but I wouldn’t be surprised if the hit rate for day 3 QBs is like 1 in 30
Depends on whether you're looking for elite players, or just decent backups like Ryan Fitzpatrick, Nick Foles, apparently Brock Purdy, etc. I'll agree that the odds of finding a project who becomes a great QB in the third round or later are pretty slim.

I think until you have a franchise QB, you're always looking for one. If the Lions think there's someone with that potential available at 6 or 18 or the second round or wherever, they should draft him. Goff's performance means that it's not essential that they do it this year, and they shouldn't give away the store to get someone. But they shouldn't fool themselves that they're set long term. Also, between the end of the Stafford picks and the team's improving fortunes, this could be the last year for awhile that they have this much draft capital. If they can use it to get a true franchise QB, that would be well worth the investment

FA/Draft needs
  2. LCB
  4. SS
  6. ILB

LS - Daly is fine

Chark did not have an eye popping season stat wise due to injuries, only 30 receptions so not sure how many teams will be after him. Might be able to bring him back. Chark is only 26 so might be worth the investment.

I think until you have a franchise QB, you're always looking for one. If the Lions think there's someone with that potential available at 6 or 18 or the second round or wherever, they should draft him. Goff's performance means that it's not essential that they do it this year, and they shouldn't give away the store to get someone. But they shouldn't fool themselves that they're set long term. Also, between the end of the Stafford picks and the team's improving fortunes, this could be the last year for awhile that they have this much draft capital. If they can use it to get a true franchise QB, that would be well worth the investment
The other thing with Goff is that he's only under contract for 2 more years so if he is the guy the Lions roll with, they are going to have to pay him again soon.

Looks like NFL is quietly acknowledging that Rams-Seahawks was the worst officiated game of the year and Lions got robbed.

Maybe they could put up a gallery in one of the hallways at Allen Park with framed letters of apology from the NFL. Would have to be in one of the longer halls, though.

Looks like NFL is quietly acknowledging that Rams-Seahawks was the worst officiated game of the year and Lions got robbed.
Not the easiest job being a Lion’s fan, so many kicks to the nether regions over the years.

Since the end of the season, the Lions have signed 11 players to futures contracts:

•RB Jermar Jefferson
•WR Maurice Alexander
•WR Stanley Berryhill
•WR Tom Kennedy
•OT Obinna Eze
•OT Darri Paulo
•DT Demetrius Taylor
•CB Jarren Williams
•CB Khalil Dorsey
•S Brady Breeze
•TE Derrick Deeese (the return of deez nuts)

Exclusive Rights Free Agents (7) - Detroit signed 16/16 ERFAs a year ago:

•RB Craig Reynolds
•TE Brock Wright
•TE Shane Zylstra
•G Tommy Kraemer
•DT Benito Jones
•LB Anthony Pittman
•LS Scott Daly

Lions have three restricted free agents, which they can resign or offer a qualifying tender. They can then match any other offer or receive a compensation pick matching the tender. The Lions’ RFAs:

•OT Matt Nelson
•C Ross Pierschbacher
•DB Bobby Price

18 UFAs - this is a ranking of 17 Lions Free Agents. They have some disagreements with my assessments (they also left S CJ Moore off.)

Brown, Chark & Elliott can all command 8 figure, multi-year deals in the open market & likely are unrealistic. Jackson & Williams are in a pretty deep UFA RB class atm & might resign at reasonable levels. Skip, Buggs, Commish, Board, Woods, Harris, Hughes, Moore s/b resigned IMO.

We’ll need a plan to replace but Sudfeld, Bryant, Anzalone, Oruwariye & Badgley should be let go. Unless we can resign at minimal levels, those are all areas we should aim to upgrade through FA/Draft IMO.

Jeff Okudah’s 5th yea option is another off-season decision. His play declined markedly in the second half the season, leading to in-game benching at CAR and v CHI. I’m 90% sure the late in-the-week addition to the practice report (elbow) was a face saving move - week 18 was a healthy scratch.

At no point has he been a good cover corner. Early in the year, with S help, he shut downJefferson, and his run defense was stellar. His pick 6 turned around the Bears game (Hutch dropping off to cover Kmet blew up the play.)

I honestly don’t know how to explain what happened to his tackling grades over the last 5-6 games he played. Highest drafted CB in 23 years, he’s due $11M + for 2024. I’m not even sure he makes the 2023 53-man. Lions will probably draft 2 CBs and sign a couple FA mid-level guys.

As an aside, a year ago the Lions had 8 TEs under contract (Mitchell is the 3rd rn.) When the Hockenson trade happened, it seemed so out of the blue. I’m beginning to think that decision was actually made late in the 2021 season and it just took awhile to find a deal they felt was good value. For whatever reason, he wasn’t a good fit.

Drops, injuries and poor blocking are probably the answers, but might be something internally that made them conclude he wasn’t part of the long term vision. Will probably never know. As we saw with Aaron Glenn, Aubrey Pleasant and the Okudah situation, they take the high road and don’t let that stuff leak out.

I do want to say something about Chark, having rostered him in dynasty and having followed him for three years now. He isn't valued by the NFL like other talented X's are because I don't think his film is that good. He doesn't get separation with his speed like he should and he's often considered a little bit soft. Urban Meyer may be the biggest jerk in the world and not fit to lead anybody but chattel in captivity, but he did have a point about Chark not playing up to his size. I remember Chark outright slapping away a medicine ball that Minshew threw him in JAX. Just rejected catching it. Now, that may be understandable to a fan, but the NFL does not look kindly upon that sort of play style.

I think the one-year, 10 million dollar deal he got from the Lions says it all. He's not considered durable, and did nothing to assuage that fear this year. You really might be able to get him back for a longer-term deal that's around ten million a year or maybe even less if you guarantee enough of it. That's only because receivers are so damn valuable these days that he'll command a decent amount. But it only takes one team to break the bank, so who knows, really? Maybe after watching MVS and Mecole Hardman sputter in KC, KC does what they should have done this year, which is sign Chark to a multi-year deal.

That's just my two cents from having followed him for years now. There are definite deficits in his game that I wish weren't there, but they seem to be.

As an aside, a year ago the Lions had 8 TEs under contract (Mitchell is the 3rd rn.) When the Hockenson trade happened, it seemed so out of the blue. I’m beginning to think that decision was actually made late in the 2021 season and it just took awhile to find a deal they felt was good value. For whatever reason, he wasn’t a good fit.

Drops, injuries and poor blocking are probably the answers, but might be something internally that made them conclude he wasn’t part of the long term vision. Will probably never know. As we saw with Aaron Glenn, Aubrey Pleasant and the Okudah situation, they take the high road and don’t let that stuff leak out.

Lions were never going to sign Hock to a big money extension, so it was a very good trade. Lions TEs are not used a whole lot but the combined for more TDs than Hock scored after the trade. Plus Hock is a below average blocker and it saves money at that position.

Start of the season I thought Okudah had finally picked up his game. Okudah was playing with a lot of energy early was doing good against the run but he still can`t cover without safety help. I think they will let him walk as he has not or can not play up to his contract.

Okudah was ranked 1-2 at CB by pretty much every team coming out. I doubt any team would have taken him at 3 overall but he would have probably been taken in the top 15 or so.

Still think Lions can sign Chark at a decent price if they want to keep him. Chark only had 30 receptions and might want to try and get a better deal next off season.

for some reason I think Anzalone might be back if price is right. DC likes these types of buy in - culture type of players and he fits that bill.

18 UFAs - this is a ranking of 17 Lions Free Agents. They have some disagreements with my assessments (they also left S CJ Moore off.)

Brown, Chark & Elliott can all command 8 figure, multi-year deals in the open market & likely are unrealistic. Jackson & Williams are in a pretty deep UFA RB class atm & might resign at reasonable levels. Skip, Buggs, Commish, Board, Woods, Harris, Hughes, Moore s/b resigned IMO.

We’ll need a plan to replace but Sudfeld, Bryant, Anzalone, Oruwariye & Badgley should be let go. Unless we can resign at minimal levels, those are all areas we should aim to upgrade through FA/Draft IMO.
I think Brown is the only guy of the top group I am interested in at that price. If we can't get a long term solution at RG then Brown is quality enough to start but he can also replace Jonah or Ragnow if hurt (and lets be real, Ragnow is looking at possible surgery on both feet so no guarantees he is ready). Physically, Chark is a gifted player but he also playing a role for the Lions that doesn't need significant money thrown at it IMO. I thought Elliott was fine this year but Detroit has Kerby Joseph and Tracy Walker coming back. Detroit needs more investment at S but it should be in the draft.

For the RBs, I think Jamaal is actually a priority. Now we can't overspend on him because I actually don't think he has much juice but his leadership and spirit is infectious. I hate to see him get out of the building. Jackson was very good in his small role but also feels like that should be replaced with a rookie RB who has more longterm upside.

Bugtgs and Commish are pretty high priorities for me. If you can pair them with Hutch, McNeil, healthy 2nd year Paschal and add another uber athlete high in the draft. I would be very happy with the DL rotation.

Amari, Badgley, Sudfeld, Bryant can all walk. I didn't see anything impressive from them this year. Sadly I am ready to say nearly the same from Okudah. Not sure if he got hurt again or if it was that illness he picked up but any gains he made in the first 8 weeks totally evaporated.

Mike Hughes is kind of a whatever. He played decent when he had to get in but obviously CB is the biggest need Detroit has so it's fine if he just gets replaced by FAs and rookies.

The two guys I disagree with you on are Board and Anzalone. Obviously Board is strictly a special teamer but he impressed me in that role. I thought Anzalone was one of our most improved players. I don't know what his market is but if he can stay as the starter and leader next year with the understanding he will transition to a back-up role as the Lions develop a younger player then I really would like him back.

Lions TEs are not used a whole lot but
...but they vulture the hell out of the RBs near the goal line :rant:
LOL Williams scored like 13 one yard TDs, can't get too mad about vulturing there. Also, I think I heard Goff had 8 receivers tackled at the 1 this year. There is an alternate season where Williams only scores 10 TDs and Goff throws 36 TDs and is an All Pro.

The two guys I disagree with you on are Board and Anzalone. Obviously Board is strictly a special teamer but he impressed me in that role. I thought Anzalone was one of our most improved players. I don't know what his market is but if he can stay as the starter and leader next year with the understanding he will transition to a back-up role as the Lions develop a younger player then I really would like him back.

I agree AA was improved. He had some big moments like that 4th & 1 tackling Lazard. But man he’s a terrible tackler, people bust through his poor technique arm tackles all day. He contributes other ways; wears the green dot, knows everyone’s assignments, good culture fit. I could see him coming back but he’s very average and I think they could upgrade to someone better in coverage.

Board, Moore & Woods are all critical 4-phase guys you can bring back for close to the veteran minimum. Heard the other day PFF ranked our Special Teans #1 overall last year. By reputation Board is the best STer but I swear every time they did something impressive it was Josh Woods. He’s also a great leader in the locker room.

CJ Moore is a decent dime back / 3rd S. Crazy good on fakes, 4-86. Throw in Josh Fox’s passing and the Lions were like 6/7 on fake punts the last few years.

Mike Hughes won’t start but ya know that CB4 always becomes important at some point, every year.

I agree AA was improved. He had some big moments like that 4th & 1 tackling Lazard. But man he’s a terrible tackler, people bust through his poor technique arm tackles all day. He contributes other ways; wears the green dot, knows everyone’s assignments, good culture fit. I could see him coming back but he’s very average and O think they should upgrade to someone better in coverage.

Board, Moore & Woods are all critical 4-phase guys you can bring back for close to the veteran minimum. Heard the other day PFF ranked our Special Teans %1 overall last year. By reputation Board is the best STer but I swear every time they did something impressive it was Josh Woods. He’s also a great leader in the locker room.

CJ Moore is a decent dime back / 3rd S. Crazy good on fakes, 4-86. Throw in Josh Fox’s passing and the Lions were like 6/7 on fake punts the last few years.

Mike Hughes won’t start but ya know that CB4 always becomes important at some point, every year.
Yeah, I don't think AA deserves a contract that says "you are the 3 year starter" but if the plan is build the LB core through the draft, our rookie might benefit from AA's leadership his rookie year instead of being thrown to the wolves. I agree Special Teams (other than Kicker) have been a big strength and it would be nice to keep it that way.

Lions TEs are not used a whole lot but
...but they vulture the hell out of the RBs near the goal line :rant:
LOL Williams scored like 13 one yard TDs, can't get too mad about vulturing there. Also, I think I heard Goff had 8 receivers tackled at the 1 this year. There is an alternate season where Williams only scores 10 TDs and Goff throws 36 TDs and is an All Pro.
"I've got enough TDs, let's share."

~No Magic Football Manager EVER

Users who are viewing this thread