What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Kansas City Chiefs Backfield - Discuss In Here (1 Viewer)

I'm grabbing McKinnon late in full PPR as I think he will be the pass catching back and may sneak in 100 carries as well. Got him in the 15th of local league draft on Sunday and have him in 3 out of 4 of my FBG teams.

Just can't grab CEH or Pacheco as early as they are going now. Plus, I think Ronald Jones is a better pure runner than both of them and will at least be in the mix.

But, who the hell knows?

RoJo...just...RoJo...good runner, not much else. Let's hope his blitz pickup and catching have improved so that he finds himself out there during the game. Run hard, RoJo! Run hard!

Pacheco...fast. Runs really angry, almost like he's stomping into the ground (watch his TD runs at Rutgers. He stomps on the ground while he's running. It's not a celebration, it's for speed or something.) Stiff runner. Misses holes. Willing blitz pickup guy, though. Seventh rounder. Great story.

CEH...short. Oversized BMI, actually, at least at the combine. Slower back. Easily tackled and injured. Not as great as one would think in space. But puts up average numbers on dynamic offense, so he's not a total sinkhole of crud. Catching hasn't been part of his game in KC. Is that by design or ineptitude? Only Andy Reid knows. Right now, he's the starter.

McKinnon...third-down back past his prime. Two years missed with knee injuries. Sad. Signed big contract with SF and never got to be the feature back due to injuries. Was really fast and elusive with MN. Catches fluidly. Plays with intelligence, or at least is always seemingly where he needs to be. How about "Doesn't miss assignments"?

Duke Johnson...okay, I kid! I kid!

Kareem Hunt...okay, there I go again!

Sony Michel...one more time for the goose and the gander both!

Alexander Mattison... *gasps* Don't you dare take away our hopes!

None of these guys are that great. They're all part-time players at best, IMHO. I grabbed Pacheco late, but I could use the spot so I'm cutting bait. Just think there are better lottery tickets with a potentially better payoff.

I don't think so. People are daydreaming about the lead dog in the mythical KC offense, instead of reacting to reality.

I think it's more that we're astonished at how bad their choices at running back are. It seems running backs just fall out of the sky for most teams, or most teams have at least a plan. The Chiefs wasted a first-round pick, didn't pick any of the backs that tested well in the third-fifth, went low budget on a raw, raw seventh-round pick, and then signed a thirty year-old to be their pass catcher.

But even as bad as they are, you should know that volume is king and that talent isn't the best predictor of fantasy points, but volume within a team's play calling sure is.

The Chiefs don’t run the ball. I wouldn’t draft any of these guys in fantasy.
I think McKinnon has 60 catches. Not a bad late round pick
No way. The Chiefs running backs all together last year had 90, and that includes the fullback. 5 different guys. Darrell Williams led with 47.

I don’t see them keeping him on the field enough to get 60 catches.
Yes, no way a RB could catch 13 more passes this year than the great Darrell Williams had last year. Impossible

This is assuming he stays healthy of course. If you look at his usage in the passing game in the playoffs last year, it's a good gauge on what his role will be this year.

Pacheco is actually older than CEH, just thought that was interesting. If I had to choose 1 to own, it would be CEH. This is his 1st year I think where he was pretty much healthy though out training camp, I think he’ll have a decent year barring injury.

Thankful I've avoided the KC backfield completely. Can they not bring back Kareem Hunt? ...because Hunt would immediately be a top-five RB.

ETA: "immediately be" feels regional.

Last edited:
Jerrick McKinnon finally happening would be cool. I remember when that guy was just a hyped up QB converted to RB during the AP suspension, and was losing carries to 4.8 speed Matt Asiata. I think I flipped him for Isaiah Crowell in dynasty and thought I made out like a bandit when Crowell torched the falcons a few weeks later. Good times.
But it feels more likely that CEH is a post hype sleeper and has a decent year. I've never been in on him, but he's finally cheap enough that I've almost drafted in a couple redraft leagues this year.

The Chiefs don’t run the ball. I wouldn’t draft any of these guys in fantasy.
I think McKinnon has 60 catches. Not a bad late round pick
No way. The Chiefs running backs all together last year had 90, and that includes the fullback. 5 different guys. Darrell Williams led with 47.

I don’t see them keeping him on the field enough to get 60 catches.
There's talk of offense changing a bit with Hill gone, might that lead to spike in RB use in the passing game?

RoJo...just...RoJo...good runner, not much else. Let's hope his blitz pickup and catching have improved so that he finds himself out there during the game. Run hard, RoJo! Run hard!
I think he’ll be inactive most weeks if other backs are healthy since the Chiefs use a FB and 4 RBs are generally all that dress on game dayS.

I would never draft CEH. Pacheco or not. He's not a 3 down back and I think that has become obvious at this point.
Pacheco has some promise, but his vision doesn't seem to be all that good. He's got good size and legit speed. He seems to be able to pick up the blitz, but his patience and lane choices need work. He might get 1st and 2nd down carries later in the year, but right now he's not gonna start. OR, it'll be full on RBBC and I want nothing to do with that.

Pacheco has some promise, but his vision doesn't seem to be all that good
I know there is the (in)famous clip of his turning inside with a big hole outside (that Mahomes was upset with) - but otherwise I think he's shown at least decent vision on his other runs this preseason.

I think this is one of those things where people see that clip and then the "legend" grows. The funny thing is he still gained close to 8 yards on that run but obviously could have scored if he turned outside.

Pacheco has some promise, but his vision doesn't seem to be all that good
I know there is the (in)famous clip of his turning inside with a big hole outside (that Mahomes was upset with) - but otherwise I think he's shown at least decent vision on his other runs this preseason.

I think this is one of those things where people see that clip and then the "legend" grows. The funny thing is he still gained close to 8 yards on that run but obviously could have scored if he turned outside.
Fair point.

Users who are viewing this thread