What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minnesota Vikings Team Thread (3 Viewers)

Watch they have a deal in place with Chicago for the number one.
Jefferson and the 11? Don't really see the Vikings trading three 1st rounders, and I think Jefferson and Darrisaw are really the only assets the Vikings have worth at least 1st round pick.
Honestly I baffled at what they are doing with a plan at QB. They surely cannot just sit at that current draft position and hope someone falls to them or actually walk into the season with Darnold at the helm. If they believe in Caleb why not trade 3 1sts? Caleb to JJ would sell a lot of tickets.

Jefferson and the 11? Don't really see the Vikings trading three 1st rounders, and I think Jefferson and Darrisaw are really the only assets the Vikings have worth at least 1st round pick.
Honestly I baffled at what they are doing with a plan at QB. They surely cannot just sit at that current draft position and hope someone falls to them or actually walk into the season with Darnold at the helm. If they believe in Caleb why not trade 3 1sts? Caleb to JJ would sell a lot of tickets.
Based on the Bears last season, I think they might be prefer two 1sts and a player, so maybe Darrisaw, the 11, and a 2025 1st for Caleb?

Based on the Bears last season, I think they might be prefer two 1sts and a player, so maybe Darrisaw, the 11, and a 2025 1st for Caleb?
If I were the Vikings I would jump on that. Of course all depends on their evaluations of this QB class.

Serious question. How did you feel about Geno Smith when he was a Jet?

I don't remember thinking he was the guy. And he never played really well his first two years. His completion percentage was under 60% both years and his performance was subpar. The Jets weren't winning. Then the year he was going to be the starter for the third straight year, somebody punched him and broke his jaw in training camp. We never really got a chance to find out with Geno, but I definitely didn't think he was up to snuff.

If you're using Geno as an example of a Jets player that blossomed late and away from the Jets, I think you ought be apprised that not many quarterbacks who were as bad as Geno was develop into useful starters later on in their careers. It's rare. Geno's is a story that I wouldn't bank on. That's why it has caught everybody by surprise. It just doesn't happen often. We've seen Sam Darnold. He has one of the worst EPA/attempt scores of almost any quarterback drafted in the first round in the past twenty years. It's awful.

So, I wouldn't hang my hat on Bradford having a Geno-like resurgence with the Vikings. It's not likely to happen.
I think NY is a pressure cooker for QBs as evident from four 1st round failures. Every mistake is amplified 2 to 3 times and rookies are expected to be perfect out of the gate. I am not sure he will even get a start with the Vikings but even he learns the system and taught where to go with the ball, he will look better than expected. The position is all about playing with confidence. The fact that Kyle Shanahan thought even of him to make him the back up for the 49ers and trade away Lance says something to me. Vikings have the best receiving core he has ever played with (since he never saw the field in San Fran). I do think Darnold could have a Geno-like resurgence in Minnesota.

The fact that Kyle Shanahan thought even of him to make him the back up for the 49ers and trade away Lance says something to me.
To me it says that Lance was absolutely terrible and Shanny had no other options at all. Last year was not good for QB acquisitions and Shanny tried to make it sound like it was his plan.

Well today's trade to get a 2nd first round pick HAS to be ammo to move up.. Or at least it better be, or there might be a fan revolt. :popcorn:
As a NE fan who isn't sold on D. Maye, I'd gladly take those two first rounders, your first rounder next year, and another mid round pick.

How about Trading with Cardinals at 4 and target McCarthy?

Should be able to get 4 and 90 for 11 and 23.
I like it. There’s really no point in false bravado or playing chicken. Zero chance QB4 falls to 11, and trying to guess where exactly is penny wise/pound foolish.

While the prognosticating world has a clear top 3, teams could be all over the map on QB2-4. I can’t shake a suspicion that New England is unpredictable. Drafting a national champ QB out of Michigan worked out ok for them last time they did it. Call it a hunch they shock the world and let Daniels fall (still hoping into Vikes’ lap).

How about Trading with Cardinals at 4 and target McCarthy?

Should be able to get 4 and 90 for 11 and 23.
I am trying to figure out the motivation for the Cardinals to trade down.

Tell me if this makes any sense. Apparently they are in the market for Tee Higgins and may have to outbid Carolina and NE for his rights. The Cardinals have the 27th pick in the draft and could trade it to the Bengals for Higgins. So with WR addressed they add a top 3 edge rusher t at 11 and CB at 23.

They are not trading away these 2 foundations of their offense.
I agree, which is why they have no chance of getting to #1. I don't think #11, #23, and 2025 1st would get there.

They are not trading away these 2 foundations of their offense.
I agree, which is why they have no chance of getting to #1. I don't think #11, #23, and 2025 1st would get there.
It just seems odd the trade they made with the Texans unless they had something in place. And if it is not for the number #1 pick then how do they know what they are getting with any other pick (you could argue they would know with the number two)? Just seems strange to me.

Good Lord, now 4 QBs could go ahead of Marvin Harrison Jr and the other two elite WRs in this class. Crazy. MHjr is the best WR prospect since Calvin Johnson.

Well, tonight's trade of Fields to Pittsburgh guarantees Da Bears are staying at 1 and taking Williams.
That may shake up more trades in the first round before the draft. :popcorn:

Well, tonight's trade of Fields to Pittsburgh guarantees Da Bears are staying at 1 and taking Williams.
That may shake up more trades in the first round before the draft. :popcorn:
Possibly, but I feel like trades made during the draft yield better value for the team moving up than those trading down. So, for the Vikings sake, I hope they don't make any trades until they see how the draft begins to unfold. (even though it won't be as fun leading up to the draft)

Disappointing to see Fields go to Steelers, but that May 2 decision on 5th year option made him basically a rental. It's reconfirming the Vikes are thinking bold on QBOTF, which is the right call IMHO.

I'm thanking the stars they are desperate in this rookie class. While I'd be disappointed if they end up settling for Pennix, he's twice the prospect of anyone in the 2022 class (Pickett, Ridder, Coral, Willis, Coral, Zappe), You look past the top QB in 2021, 2019, 2016 and you see where franchises go to die.

Thought of the day. The ballsy move in this draft isn't trading up to one of the consensus top 4 QB. The ballsy move is trusting your scouting and waiting for getting value for the pick. Just feel like so much hype at the top of the draft, the supposed 3rd tier QBs are not even getting any media hype.

Denver and the Giants look like places were rookie QBs could usurp the starters.

Thought of the day. The ballsy move in this draft isn't trading up to one of the consensus top 4 QB. The ballsy move is trusting your scouting and waiting for getting value for the pick. Just feel like so much hype at the top of the draft, the supposed 3rd tier QBs are not even getting any media hype.

Denver and the Giants look like places were rookie QBs could usurp the starters.
Trusting your scouting? This staff????? They've drafted like one starter so far.

Trusting your scouting? This staff????? They've drafted like one starter so far.
This x 1000. Our trusted scouting blew a 5th on Jaren Hall in 2023, and wasted a 3rd on Kellen Mond in 2021. Zero confidence winging it for any lower prospect they like.

Never implied that the Vikings are going to do this. There are drafting based on PFF type analytic and I don't know if they are capable of seeing beyond the numbers. I do feel like Sean Payton could find his Tony Romo in this year draft.

Last edited:

This x 1000. Our trusted scouting blew a 5th on Jaren Hall in 2023, and wasted a 3rd on Kellen Mond in 2021. Zero confidence winging it for any lower prospect they like.
Kelen Mond was Rick Speilman's to be fair. KOC should have been like Flores when he saw Cameron Dantzler. It took him about 2 seconds to realize he couldn't play in this league.

Kelen Mond was Rick Speilman's to be fair.
Unless there has been change to scouting, the same info is going to the GM. Kwesi already tried panning for gold with Hall (assume scouting and KOC advised) so it would be surprising if he puts his career on it now.

I hope Payton’s ego seeking the next Romo does take Denver out of competition for trade up. It’s not a strength for him either though since his picks in New Orleans were Sean Cranfield, Garrett Grayson, Tommy Stevens and Ian Book.

Feels to me like there are 2 options:

Option 1 is stay put and take Nix/Penix at #23 and BPA at #11. They may like one of those guys, but don't think #11 is good value as they'll fall further but wouldn't have made it to #42.

Option 2, and the one I think is most likely, is trade the #11 and #23 to Arizona for #4 and take the last guy left. I don't see any scenario at this point where Chicago or Washington trade down, after dealing their starters from last season. NE is a bit of a wildcard, because we have nothing to go on after 24 years of Belichick. My gut says they'd need more than those 2 picks to move down though, especially if their guy doesn't go #2.

"Option 2, and the one I think is most likely, is trade the #11 and #23 to Arizona for #4 and take the last guy left. I don't see any scenario at this point where Chicago or Washington trade down, after dealing their starters from last season. NE is a bit of a wildcard..."
Yeah, that all three moved on from their former starter. Because they're committed to the pick or if they wanted any compensation they had to do it now? If AZ is good with the two-pick offer from MIN, any theory as to why that hasn't already happened?

Was looking over Ben Bryant earlier, he's interesting. Very polished for a guy who bounced around a number of programs. Good arm & already adept at how to move defenders around. Like the rookie guide on this site notes, he won't consistently extend plays. Appears to have the requisite hand size/grip strength. Extends the arm & sticks the ball out there, can wave it around. Of mention on his profile is his more of a elongated throwing motion. Very small sample size, so, but the 50+ throws I did watch, timing didn't appear affected. Important I think, Bryant's arms are about 2in longer than Joe Burrow, but shorter than that of Justin Herbert. The mental aspect of his game is what might lend itself.

Because the Vikes have one guy valued quite a bit ahead and want to make sure that guy is there before pulling the trigger
This could be, but I sort of doubt it. Getting the #23 is more indicative of getting a big bargain chip for any of these picks. All likelihood, they are not going to make a move on 4 until they have exhausted talks for 2-3. If they can't entice Wash/NE to accept a trade which would enable the Vikes being more selective, I think they will ultimately take whichever becomes the 4th. I just really doubt they would avoid 4 if a single guy doesn't fall. All 4 top QBs are worlds better than whatever a backup plan would be.

Because the Vikes have one guy valued quite a bit ahead and want to make sure that guy is there before pulling the trigger
This could be, but I sort of doubt it. Getting the #23 is more indicative of getting a big bargain chip for any of these picks. All likelihood, they are not going to make a move on 4 until they have exhausted talks for 2-3. If they can't entice Wash/NE to accept a trade which would enable the Vikes being more selective, I think they will ultimately take whichever becomes the 4th. I just really doubt they would avoid 4 if a single guy doesn't fall. All 4 top QBs are worlds better than whatever a backup plan would be.
I was just providing a reason why the trade wouldn't go down now if both teams have an agreed price in place. There are many reasons to wait and some to not wait. For example, if they really don't care between the 4 QB's and they have a deal agreed to in principle then they should make the deal right now because they don't want someone else to swoop in with a better offer (this is going on the premise that the two teams have an agreement in place and are waiting).

I get it. My reply was more one of "oh my goodness I hope Gally is wrong and they don't wind up with none of the top 4 because they are too picky." If that happens, it will be bad.

Just to play devils advocate for a second.

Disgruntled Bears fan says this: Drafting Caleb Williams buys Poles 2 more years as a GM (barring a complete disaster). It is a pessimistic take for sure but it does ring true for me.

Does drafting a top 4 QB buy Kwesi the same window? Is he backing himself into a corner when he raised expectations for a QB with the trade for the 23rd pick?

Does drafting a top 4 QB buy Kwesi the same window? Is he backing himself into a corner when he raised expectations for a QB with the trade for the 23rd pick?
I would say it's probably typical for a GM to get time for his vision with a QBOTF to be graded. There could be instances where 1st season is so unbelievably bad that it is enough to conclude he failed, but would think that is not the norm.

Would be great to know & Kwesi better have some assurance from somebody!! I can't imagine that not being the case. Reasonable to assume it's Arizona, but who knows for sure? Likely already mentioned somewhere, it's a move into the top 5 & the Vikings plan to attend JJ McCarthy's pro day & hold a private workout with him. Oh okay, that's what's going on or it's perhaps as Jim suggests, AZ is the fall back plan? I don't know, seems to me the sequence should've gone the other way. They work something, who knows what & now they're going to check out the player? What if after their time with McCarthy they've determined he's so raw, that his timeframe isn't what they had hoped? Now what?

Why can't Sam Darnold succeed in Minnesota?
Sure, the Vikes are candidates to draft a QB but it's doubtful they get one of the Top 3-4 so likely it's clipboard for most of the Rookie Year
At worst, Darnold is likely to 8-9 starts with some serious weapons around him and a QB friendly system.
Darnold was doing pretty well towards the end of his time in Carolina
Geno Smith got away from the Jets, he turned out to be decent
Flacco gets away from the Jets and found the fountain of youth briefly in Cleveland.
Why can't Darnold be the next in line?

-Mathew Berry is asking the same question so I thought I would post similar and see what the Vikings fan think.

I'm still in show me mode on Kwesi, but can't express how relieved I am that Spielman is not in charge of another Vikes QBOTF decision.

As the NFL Draft approaches, speculation has been rife about the Vikings’ strategy, with many expecting a bold move up the draft order to secure one of the top quarterback prospects. The names on everyone’s lips? Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, Drake Maye, and JJ McCarthy.

Yet, Spielman proposes an alternative route that could save the Vikings’ draft capital while still potentially addressing their QB conundrum.
“Anyone coming out of that [offensive] system would be the best, whether it’s the Rams or whether it’s the 49ers,” Spielman remarked, suggesting that Rattler could be a fit not just for these teams but potentially for the Vikings as well.

This endorsement comes despite Rattler’s late-game struggles and questionable decision-making—factors that often translate poorly to the professional level.
After leading total fails searching for QBOTF in Chicago, Miami & Minnesota since 1997, he should be forced to relinquish his QB critique rights.

Beats the hell out of Darnold.
Of course.

But the Vikings want a young QB who can hopefully be their QB for a long time.

This is basically what KOC and the GM were hired to do. They just tried to do it with Cousins for a couple seasons before.

They would have kept Cousins over trading for Dak or another veteran QB if that is what they wanted to do.

Still remains to be seen if the Vikings can draft the QB they want or not.

Users who are viewing this thread