What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 RB handcuffs (1 Viewer)

I think N Hines and K Hunt could be flex starters and not handcuffs.

I would take a chance on S Michel in Miami before R Mostert.

AJ Dillon may be an RB2 and getting drafted in the 5th. Your 5th round WR's are

playing almost all 17 games and outpointing your RB2's 

Edit to add-PPR scoring

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t view Pollard as a handcuff any more, so the two guys I want to get most are Mattison and Herbert. Reserving judgement on Crowell until we see him in training camp.

Mattison, Gordon, Henderson
Gordon in the 9th is good. Mattison, you would need Cook to go down.

Henderson would be in case Akers is not there yet, The rookie is getting some pub.

I don't think R Jones in the 10th is accurate. He is going to be their inside runner. 

Mattison started 4 games last year.  In those games he had 519 yards and 3 TDs.

Cook doesn't have to 'go down', he just has to miss a few games for Mattison to have value.  Cook has started 4, 10, 14, 14, 13 games in his 5 seasons.

Now if Cook were to actually 'go down', Mattison becomes a top 10 fantasy back.

I was looking into Mattison yesterday. Some Vikes fans and writers are kinda down on him, felt he wasnt as explosive last year. They indicate he is becoming JAG. Personally I still like him but will wait a few rounds more now.

Mattison started 4 games last year.  In those games he had 519 yards and 3 TDs.

Cook doesn't have to 'go down', he just has to miss a few games for Mattison to have value.  Cook has started 4, 10, 14, 14, 13 games in his 5 seasons.

Now if Cook were to actually 'go down', Mattison becomes a top 10 fantasy back.
For keeper/dynasty leagues, Mattison is slated to be an UFA after this year, as is Pollard.

Backup RBs don't often get signed away for clear cut starting gigs, and the rookie RB crop looks strong, but Mattison and Pollard could end up with bigger roles if you can stash them away.

Curious to see if Carter gets relegated to handcuff status or if he's PPR usable like Hunt.  At this point I wouldn't draft him anywhere near Hunt ADP-wise, but he could be a viable flex for sure. 

Curious to see if Carter gets relegated to handcuff status or if he's PPR usable like Hunt.  At this point I wouldn't draft him anywhere near Hunt ADP-wise, but he could be a viable flex for sure. 
He sure had the worst luck of any player as a result of the draft.  I see him as barely usable going forward in the near future.

I don’t view Pollard as a handcuff any more, so the two guys I want to get most are Mattison and Herbert. Reserving judgement on Crowell until we see him in training camp.
I assume this is a joke (as in Isaiah) but in case it isn't I have no idea who you are talking about.

Cards have been raving about Eno Benjamin this off-season; could be nothing but he’s only behind Conner and was available free as of a few weeks ago

Cards have been raving about Eno Benjamin this off-season; could be nothing but he’s only behind Conner and was available free as of a few weeks ago
A lot of depth charts have Darrell Williams behind Conner. For awhile it was B Ward versus E Benjamin then Williams and K Ingram came into the mix. 

K Ingram went 3.03 in one of my 10 round dynasty drafts(partial keeper) and Benjamin is still a free agent.

In two 3 round all rookie drafts Ingram went 3.11 and 3.06.

He has been rostered in my dynasty league since he was a rookie. I don’t see where he was free in any leagues. No offense, but that is a dubious  statement.

Over a month ago I attempted to acquire him for a 2023 3rd, and was told he “wasn’t available”. 

Is a "handcuff" even a thing any more now that most teams use a rbbc?
I stopped cuffing a few years ago. I think it's more advantageous to target other team's cuffs than my own, so I increase my likelihood of getting more RB1's than my competition. You're right that the league has trended more towards using multiple backs though. So I'm not picking a team's #2 in hopes they become a #1 anymore, but rather 1b in the committee in hopes they may become a 1a.

In 2 of 4 deeper dynasty leagues i'm in E Benjamin is not rostered.

I own him in the other 2 leagues. I think he has a 15% chance of being fantasy relevant this year.

Pff has him ranked 90th. The 4th Arizona RB. The Athletics fantasy guys have two sets of rankings.

One where his is 78th and the other where he is 80th. Footballguy's has him at RB81.

He is probably the last or second to last player on the bench in both leagues.

How bored do you have to be if your posting this?

I stopped cuffing a few years ago. I think it's more advantageous to target other team's cuffs than my own, so I increase my likelihood of getting more RB1's than my competition. You're right that the league has trended more towards using multiple backs though. So I'm not picking a team's #2 in hopes they become a #1 anymore, but rather 1b in the committee in hopes they may become a 1a.

good points.  if i see a player(s) i want to trade for, i will target his owners RB handcuffs for trade bait.

Last year I offered A Mattison to the D Cook owner. No Go.

I used Mattison in week 16 to beat him in the semi-finals.

I'm keeping him. 

James Cook. It is not out of the realm of possibility that he has a Kamara-lite year. Bills made it a priority to find a pass catching back this off-season (McKissic), it is a high scoring offense, the running back room is not elite, and they want to start running Allen less. 

Rashaad Penny, Michael Carter, Khalil Herbert

Rookies are too risky to target in a redraft as a handcuff.

Rashaad Penny, Michael Carter, Khalil Herbert

Rookies are too risky to target in a redraft as a handcuff.
I get what you are saying about rookies and redraft, but I believe Spiller is an exception, because the other Chargers RBs are garbage.  I agree with you about Herbert.  Is Penny really the handcuff to Walker, or is it the other way around?  While Carter is a fine handcuff due to lack of competition, it has to be a bitter pill to fantasy owners when they drafted Hall.

White intrigues me as well, but concerned he could also be the second coming of Ke’Shawn Vaughn.
I look at it as he only has to beat out Vaughn for the back up role. They took Vaughn in the third so they must like him. I have a strong feelings he will be fantasy relevant this year. He is not far from a big role in a great offense.

I get what you are saying about rookies and redraft, but I believe Spiller is an exception, because the other Chargers RBs are garbage.  I agree with you about Herbert.  Is Penny really the handcuff to Walker, or is it the other way around?  While Carter is a fine handcuff due to lack of competition, it has to be a bitter pill to fantasy owners when they drafted Hall.
I agree with you with Spiller. I feel like the Chargers would have worked in the backups more if they had quality backs to put in last year. It’s always good to get a piece of the Chargers. It would be a little concerning if they resigned Justin Jackson. Spiller would have gone in the second round if he didn’t run a slow 40 at the combine.

I think as of now It’s Penny’s job to lose. Keep in mind this offense could be garbage unless they sign Garoppolo. 

I feel like M Carter is still gonna get touches but not many. Ty Johnson was great in the passing game. I’d just avoid this situation.

I really think Penny is gonna be a major steal this year. Rookies are only steals if in the previous year the incumbent starter struggled with 3.7 ypc or less ala Andre Ellington/David Johnson, Spencer Ware injury/Kareem Hunt etc.  I honestly don't see any cases like that this year and Penny was already the RB 30 same with M Carter. I don't like Spiller because he simply takes over Justin Jackson + Kelley's carries and tops out at maybe 100 carries at most.

I really think Penny is gonna be a major steal this year. Rookies are only steals if in the previous year the incumbent starter struggled with 3.7 ypc or less ala Andre Ellington/David Johnson, Spencer Ware injury/Kareem Hunt etc.  I honestly don't see any cases like that this year and Penny was already the RB 30 same with M Carter. I don't like Spiller because he simply takes over Justin Jackson + Kelley's carries and tops out at maybe 100 carries at most.
Spiller will have value this year, but his real value lies in dynasty, thus making him a valuable handcuff.

Spiller will have value this year, but his real value lies in dynasty, thus making him a valuable handcuff.
I don't think so. The last time the Chargers drafted a RB in the 1st 3 rds was in 2015 and that was Melvin Gordon. I'm betting they draft a RB in the 1st 3 rds like the Jets did with Carter in the next 2 years. 

I don't think so. The last time the Chargers drafted a RB in the 1st 3 rds was in 2015 and that was Melvin Gordon. I'm betting they draft a RB in the 1st 3 rds like the Jets did with Carter in the next 2 years. 
Hard to tell at this point. If he flashes, he’s got a chance to be the heir apparent. If he’s just another Justin Jackson, they’ll find someone else.

He has been rostered in my dynasty league since he was a rookie. I don’t see where he was free in any leagues. No offense, but that is a dubious  statement.

Over a month ago I attempted to acquire him for a 2023 3rd, and was told he “wasn’t available”. 
I got him in the first waiver cycle post-rookie draft in a 12x22 (26 in the offseason) in June ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

no offense taken, big ymmv depending on league as with anyone at the fringe

huh?  What does that have to do with Spiller?  If you are smart you would be trying to obtain Spiller on the cheap right now.

Cardinals officially sign RB Darrel Williams, release RB Jaylen SamuelsThe former Chiefs RB was one of only seven backs last season to have at least 500 rushing yards and 400 receiving yards.

Users who are viewing this thread