What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Seattle Seahawks - Life after Russell (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
-Seattle now holds the 9, 40 and 41 selections in the upcoming NFL Draft vis a Blockbuster trade with the Denver Broncos that also has them holding the 2023 1st and 2nd from Denver as well. They added Noah Fant at TE and they may now look to the upcoming Draft where only the Carolina Panthers currently at No 6 are in a position to steal or take a QB they might be looking at. Corral from Mississippi seems to be the hot name this week but others have shuffled up and down the boards. They could even plan on somebody like Ridder from Cincinnati potentially in the 2nd Round. 

They also released Bobby Wagner, a future HoF Linebacker and so it would seem the Seahawks are starting over and looking to get younger. A complete analysis of their cap space going into 2022 will follow in the coming days as we look at free agency opening up soon. 

One thing worth mentioning is Pete Carroll was extended quite a lot in the middle of 2020 and I think this is Year 2 of a 5 year deal, they can let him go anytime, the owner has deep pockets and Pete will be remembered as perhaps their best Head Coach although others might argue someone else. Either way he seems to do well with younger players and he might be the right guy if they go 4-13 or worse this year and position themselves for another QB to select in 2023 as they build up both sides of their Lines. They have skill players and I also think Leonard Fournette would be a nice addition to their style of running the football. 

I will expect the Seattle fan base to take over and will be happy to change the title from time to time as news breaks. This should be the start of a new era but one where there's a holdover at the top with Pete still running the ship. There are still names at QB floating around out there. 

$51M in cap space right now if my notes are accurate, they are a prime candidate to load up until they get their QB position figured out. They have money to burn this off season and I imagine they will be Cap Strong in '23 as well. 

I don't think they draft a QB early. I think they go with a bridge type who can hand off like 25 times a game and be able to do some RPO type plays. 

Mariota would make sense in that scenario. 

Then draft the franchise QB type next year. 

Gonna be a year of cellar wine for us Hawks fans. 

Yes it's an end of an era with Russ and Wagner both leaving but to be honest It was kind of due. I'm looking forward to see how the Draft and FA shake out the next 2 years with the cap space. 

Let's start with the OL and if Ethan Pocic should be re-signed. Last year he played on a 1 yr/$3M deal. Played 9 games down the stretch and was terrific in a lot of them. Ranked 15th on PFF out of 39 Centers ranked. 

Pocic-Pt 1

Pocic Part 2

Pocic Pt 3

That might be overboard analysis but you can get a clear picture of him. I do think Seahawks would be smart to invest and build their OL. 

OG-Damien Lewis 3rd Rd-2020 and ranked 57th/82 on PFF at his position, not that good. Year 3, needs to show a lot of improvement. 

OG-Gabe Jackson 4th highest paid at $9M per season, 51st/82 so not getting much for all those dollars. 

If Duane Brown is retiring then they need a lot of help at their Tackle spots which are subpar at best without him in the mix. 

Auto-Starters at Offensive Tackle at the No 9 spot, 3 projected in the Top 10-15 selections, good year to nail down one if not both of those spots so a QB can function behind them. 

I don't think they draft a QB early. I think they go with a bridge type who can hand off like 25 times a game and be able to do some RPO type plays. 

Mariota would make sense in that scenario. 

Then draft the franchise QB type next year. 

Gonna be a year of cellar wine for us Hawks fans. 

Yes it's an end of an era with Russ and Wagner both leaving but to be honest It was kind of due. I'm looking forward to see how the Draft and FA shake out the next 2 years with the cap space. 
Don’t they already have Geno? I don’t see a whole lot of separation between MM & GS if it’s just a bridge guy. :shrug:  

Let's start with the OL and if Ethan Pocic should be re-signed. Last year he played on a 1 yr/$3M deal. Played 9 games down the stretch and was terrific in a lot of them. Ranked 15th on PFF out of 39 Centers ranked. 

Pocic-Pt 1

Pocic Part 2

Pocic Pt 3

That might be overboard analysis but you can get a clear picture of him. I do think Seahawks would be smart to invest and build their OL. 

OG-Damien Lewis 3rd Rd-2020 and ranked 57th/82 on PFF at his position, not that good. Year 3, needs to show a lot of improvement. 

OG-Gabe Jackson 4th highest paid at $9M per season, 51st/82 so not getting much for all those dollars. 

If Duane Brown is retiring then they need a lot of help at their Tackle spots which are subpar at best without him in the mix. 

Auto-Starters at Offensive Tackle at the No 9 spot, 3 projected in the Top 10-15 selections, good year to nail down one if not both of those spots so a QB can function behind them. 
Yes I believe if chips fall right they take a LT to replace Brown at 1.09....of course its Seattle we are talking about - they love trading back from the 1st round. 

They literally have either traded back or completely out of the 1st round in 6 of the last 11 years. Thats not counting trading away this year's pick in the Adams trade, but there is still plenty of time....😒

Don’t they already have Geno? I don’t see a whole lot of separation between MM & GS if it’s just a bridge guy. :shrug:  
Your saying Mariota is comparable to Geno Smith...do you even watch football?

ETA: Obviously you do, but Smith is horrible. Mariota has a higher ceiling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your saying Mariota is comparable to Geno Smith...do you even watch football?

ETA: Obviously you do, but Smith is horrible. Mariota has a higher ceiling.
I do watch football, thanks. The point wasn’t whether MM was > GS. The point was if they’re going to suck for a year anyway, why go out and get a better QB.

seems rather self-defeating, much like your personal attack amid a friendly discussion. 

I do watch football, thanks. The point wasn’t whether MM was > GS. The point was if they’re going to suck for a year anyway, why go out and get a better QB.

seems rather self-defeating, much like your personal attack amid a friendly discussion. 

I thought they still had Geno before very recently reading here that he was a free agent. However your same logic applies to Drew Lock as well. If they’re going to “tank” (and/or use a bridge QB) why go out and sign one. If anything they may just bring Geno back even cheaper now and let him battles Lock.

I thought they still had Geno before very recently reading here that he was a free agent. However your same logic applies to Drew Lock as well. If they’re going to “tank” (and/or use a bridge QB) why go out and sign one. If anything they may just bring Geno back even cheaper now and let him battles Lock.
Yup/ exactly 1 I made this same point as the news broke. Lock can suck just as well as Geno. 👍🏼

I get what your all saying about Geno Vs Mariota vs Lock, and yes Lock being already in-house makes sense, but he isn't the same type of mobile QB that MM or even Geno is, and I was thinking RPO type plays to take some of the stress off of running the ball alot (As Pete has wanted to do for years).

Given Geno's lagal issues with the DUI I think he won't be back, and they saw what they had with him last year when Wilson was down so who knows but I would have thought he would have been resigned before Russ went out the door at a backup pay now he would be looking for starterish pay with Russ gone. 

They could go a completely different direction too, just my 2c...

Smith is horrible. Mariota has a higher ceiling.
We can go with this. Drew Lock is now a Seahawk as well I believe. 

A Lock-Mariota combo would be an interesting competition in camp. I like Mariota for certain things and feel like with enough talent around him or the right team he could enter off the bench and look pretty good. 

Mariota went 24-19 from '16 thru '18 and has had QB ratings that hover in the low 90-95 range many seasons in his career. He probably is in the Teddy Bridgewater section of QBs, they play different styles but the results can be similar. 

I realized my comment seemed snarky hence the edit. My apologies. 

I realized my comment seemed snarky hence the edit. My apologies. 
Appreciate it. 

Anyway, I don’t see why they would go for an upgrade when Lock is there, was a part of that package deal, and they’re seemingly looking to get a high  pick next year. 

Unless they’re seriously going to try to complete in the NFC West in 2022, their best move seems to be letting Lock steward them to a 4-13 record so they have a shot at one of the very talented rookie signal callers coming out next year. 

That said, if MM is cheap, sure - they need a backup in light of Geno’s legal issues & pending FA (though he’d probably cost a batch of fresh chocolate chip cookies) 

Think I'd be mildly depressed if this was the competition in camp and I was a Seahawks fan. Short term at least. Don't see much better available for them really at this point. 
Seahawk fans should be depressed. I see 3-4 dark seasons ahead. My concern is they draft a qb, Pete retires and then new coach drafts his guy...and we are in a cycle of just not being good. My other fear is we can't figure out the qb spot and then Metcalf wants out when his deal is over.

Appreciate it. 

Anyway, I don’t see why they would go for an upgrade when Lock is there, was a part of that package deal, and they’re seemingly looking to get a high  pick next year. 

Unless they’re seriously going to try to complete in the NFC West in 2022, their best move seems to be letting Lock steward them to a 4-13 record so they have a shot at one of the very talented rookie signal callers coming out next year. 

That said, if MM is cheap, sure - they need a backup in light of Geno’s legal issues & pending FA (though he’d probably cost a batch of fresh chocolate chip cookies) 
I can see Lock being a bridge guy for sure. I am a Duck fan and don't think Mariota's potential has been tapped yet. Of course I could be letting personal feelings cloud my judgement.

As for Geno, he cost Seattle 3-4 losses on his own in the last couple minutes of winnable games(2 ints and a fumble just off the top of my head) I can't watch him anymore. Maybe Lock turns it around being with a new team...we shall see.

Maybe Lock turns it around being with a new team...we shall see.
Seahawks fans should hope he doesn’t.  You remember “suck for Luck”? 

Time to “Chum for Young”, or be “not too proud for Stroud”. 
:lol:  

Every Lock loss is a win for your team’s future. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I get what your all saying about Geno Vs Mariota vs Lock, and yes Lock being already in-house makes sense, but he isn't the same type of mobile QB that MM or even Geno is, and I was thinking RPO type plays to take some of the stress off of running the ball alot (As Pete has wanted to do for years).
just that guy is having issues in Arizona

They seem to be on the right path for rebuilding although they will never admit it. Hyping Lock is the right thing to do as they have to know he will give them a decent chance at the number one overall pick next year. Tank this year, send Pete on his way, and start fresh and new with a quarterback and coach of the future. You send Wilson to a very competitive division so there are a wide range of outcomes for the Denver picks they received. The Dissly signing is a head scratcher but you need to fill a roster I guess. 

The Wilson trade is looking better and better by the day for the Seattle organization. This team is setup well for the future and will have capital to find a QB in next years draft. Gutsy move that seems to be paying off.

Users who are viewing this thread