What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New Music Thread (1 Viewer)

and Superchunk's latest single, February Punk (which may have been out a bit this year, I dunno), is nice and superchunky.

Explosions In The Sky with a new album simply called End.

Very good record to have in their catalogue. I've long since moved on from post rock as the only stuff I listen to, but this was really pretty good. You do need to be in the mood for an all-instrumental climactic album.

I'd recommend the first two songs, "Ten Billion People" and "Moving On," and then "The Fight."

This Let It Bleed edition remix of the Mats Tim sounds amazing. So glad they did this. I always thought Tim sounded compressed, kinda like all the instruments were lumped on top of each other. Did a great job separating everything a bit more. Such a great album.

This Let It Bleed edition remix of the Mats Tim sounds amazing. So glad they did this. I always thought Tim sounded compressed, kinda like all the instruments were lumped on top of each other. Did a great job separating everything a bit more. Such a great album.

It's partially schtick but I'm gonna be that guy. I've been listening to Tim since it came out and never once felt it sounded bad. It's an 80s record with a mix for speakers rather than earbuds so everything sounds kind of narrow compared to current recordings. The remaster has better clarity of course especially in the rhythm section but the Mats are a garage band and Chris was never a very good drummer anyway.

I'll A/B a few more songs and may change my opinion later but I don't think this release is transformative as Dead Man's Pop was for Don't Tell a Soul.

They better not do this to the Twin/Tone stuff.

Last edited:

It's partially schtick but I'm gonna be that guy. I've been listening to Tim since it came out and never once felt it sounded bad. It's an 80s record with a mix for speakers rather than earbuds so everything sounds kind of narrow compared to current recordings. The remaster has better clarity of course especially in the rhythm section but the Mats are a garage band and Chris was never a very good drummer anyway.

I'll A/B a few more songs and may change my opinion later but I don't think this release is transformative as Dead Man's Pop was for Don't Tell a Soul.

They better not do this to the Twin/Tone stuff.
I can see that point of view. I never thought Tim sounded bad, but it definitely has a different sound compared to Let it Be and even Pleased to Meet Me. It’s flatter with too much reverb to my ears. The difference is really apparent on some of the quieter songs like Here comes a regular IMO.

I’m sure hiring Tommy Ramone to produce the original was a sonically conscious choice at the time and can hear that garage, punk, diy influence. I personally believe this collection of songs are better served by the new mix, but can definitely see others preferring the original. Just happy to hear this one.

Last edited:
A little known Scottish band called There Will Be Fireworks has recently realeased a couple singles ahead of there first new album in 10 years. (That comes out in November IIRC.) They have a bit of a cult following.

From a music draft a few years I recall @The Dreaded Marco and @shuke liking songs by the lead singer’s side project Dead Modern.

They kind of have a formula for their songs but they execute it so well. Here’s one of the new songs:

I’ll stop cluttering up this thread with a string of consecutive posts after this one.

It took a week of sporadic listening but I think the new album by Singaporean-British songwriter Yeule is fantastic. It got some good press including a best new music tag by Pitchfork and being featured by NPR.

A little known Scottish band called There Will Be Fireworks has recently realeased a couple singles ahead of there first new album in 10 years. (That comes out in November IIRC.) They have a bit of a cult following.

From a music draft a few years I recall @The Dreaded Marco and @shuke liking songs by the lead singer’s side project Dead Modern.

They kind of have a formula for their songs but they execute it so well. Here’s one of the new songs:

Thanks for the heads up.

After listening to their two new singles that are on Spotify, which I enjoyed, I think his side project is quite a bit better—just based on hearing a few songs from each.

I'm pretty sure you introduced me to both Fireworks and Dead Modern. Will give this a listen.

Still Traffico - Seagull (Garage Edit)

A jangletastic London band formed 2023.

Like a peppier Dire Straits.

Love the new Stones single Sweet Sounds of Heaven.
Their best song in 40 years - which isn't saying much, but it's quite good. I'm actually amazed by how good Mick sounds on it.
No doubt. The first single released off the new album, Angry, was kind of meh for me. That tune felt more like their standard 90's-00's output. A little too formulaic and clean; a somewhat generic sounding "rocker". Some really good riffs in it, but thought was just ok, but open to giving it more time.

This tune gave me goosebumps. A true classic Stones soulful ballad. Right at home with stuff like Moonlight Mile or Winter. Both Lady Gaga and Stevie are great on here. I'm always skeptical of guest star albums, and who knows how the other tunes will sound, but they used both of them perfectly on here. Mick sounds great and the lyrics bring up emotions of his own mortality and the loss of Charlie. Powerful stuff.

Last edited:
Irish Basement (feat. Furniteur) Butterfly

Warning! NSFW Lyrics! 😲

🎶 I Feel F***ing Fantastic 🎶

DC Post Punk band w/ fuzzy guitars and frantic riffs.

Matt Maeson - Get Happy

I can't wait 'til tomorrow
While these thoughts, they all leech from my head
I can't wait 'til I jump off the ledge
I'll just get happy instead

Irish Basement (feat. Furniteur) Butterfly

Warning! NSFW Lyrics! 😲

🎶 I Feel F***ing Fantastic 🎶

DC Post Punk band w/ fuzzy guitars and frantic riffs.

Nice one. This whole album is pretty good.

I haven't heard of the rest of the tracks on the LP, but folks have been saying pretty much the same thing as you, so I've got to check it out.

Metric - Who Would You Be For Me

Toronto Indie Rock band with a tune best described as Dream Pop.

Ghost Hounds - Last Train To Nowhere

Blues-tinged rock band based in Pittsburgh PA, although they sound more Country Rock here (maybe it is the fiddle).

That's a really good song

Thanks. I try to do that with my music posts in this forum and I often wonder why as there is usually no acknowledgement of them at all...

Appreciate the positive feedback.

Love the new Stones single Sweet Sounds of Heaven.
Their best song in 40 years - which isn't saying much, but it's quite good. I'm actually amazed by how good Mick sounds on it.
No doubt. The first single released off the new album, Angry, was kind of meh for me. That tune felt more like their standard 90's-00's output. A little too formulaic and clean; a somewhat generic sounding "rocker". Some really good riffs in it, but thought was just ok, but open to giving it more time.

This tune gave me goosebumps. A true classic Stones soulful ballad. Right at home with stuff like Moonlight Mile or Winter. Both Lady Gaga and Stevie are great on here. I'm always skeptical of guest star albums, and who knows how the other tunes will sound, but they used both of them perfectly on here. Mick sounds great and the lyrics bring up emotions of his own mortality and the loss of Charlie. Powerful stuff.
Listened to the entire new album and this single is the best song by a mile IMO. Was kinda disappointed. Really happy they attempted new music in their 80's, but the Stones are different people now. The dudes from 1970 don't exist anymore so it's impossible for them to make a new Exile or Sticky Fingers. Thought most of the new tunes were too polished and not the greatest lyrics. Most of them sound more like the first single, Angry. Slightly generic sounding rock. Some cool riffs here and there and Jagger sounds like Jagger, but in then end it's a bit of a jumbled mess. Still my favorite band of all time, and glad they gave it go, but not a masterpiece by any stretch.

Goat just released a new album called Medicine. Absolutely love this band and always glad to see they are still releasing new stuff. Swedish psych rock. I was lucky to see them live a couple of times. Just a bonkers live show. One of the best live bands I've seen. They haven't toured the states in a while. Medicine is great. A different sound for them; kinda like Can doing Zeppelin psych-folk.

bar italia is a lower-case London band with a dreamy post-punk sound. They have boy/girl singers trading off; they rarely harmonize but their voices go well together. The album gets a little samey on the back half but I still liked it.

Way back in May, bar italia put out one of my favorite albums of 2023. They just released their second album in six months. It's called The Twits and isn't radically different from their last one. I still like the stuff I liked by my interest still drifts a little on the mid-tempo songs on the back half of the record.

Alex Lucas - Wanna Look Good For You

🎶 I wanna look good for you, all night.

Lol Tolhurst, Budgie, and Jacknife Lee (featuring Bobby Gillespie) - Ghosted at Home

I’m still new to it (and three albums dropped yesterday that were on my radar) but the album seems pretty good. I particularly like the Isaac Brock song:

Lol Tolhurst, Budgie, and Jacknife Lee (featuring Bobby Gillespie) - Ghosted at Home

I’m still new to it (and three albums dropped yesterday that were on my radar) but the album seems pretty good. I particularly like the Isaac Brock song:

They’ve been working on it since 2020. Been listening to it as part of their podcast intro for almost that long.

Chris Kabs - Falling

🎶 Tell me what happened to you
Tell me what happened to us🎶

File under: Neo Soul, R&B, Reggae, and Afro Pop.

Kabs is a Dublin based artist who is best known for his production skills.

Mojave Grey - Edge Of The Night

🎶 Everytime we believe in you and me
Take a chance on a crazy dream🎶

"Blending classic rock and contemporary dance music"

The Mallees - Puppet

Great 70's Hard Rock, Classic Rock throwback. Echoes of Black Sabbath Aerosmith, etc.

Four piece band from Portsmouth UK.

Aesop Rock's Integrated Tech Solutions out today. Or was it the 3rd? I can't remember the release date.

Anyway, one track is a standout to me. "Living Curfew" with billy woods. Wait for woods's part. His poem wrecks the track (in a good way). It's not too dense in rhyme scheme nor pyrotechnic, but it's wonderful. It's perfect for the beat that Aesop Rock provides.

Users who are viewing this thread