What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 OFFENSE/DEFENSE Contest - Week 10 (1 Viewer)

Used Offense: NOS,JAX,DAL,oops,MIA,BUFF,KC,DET,IND
Defense: WAS,TBB,SF,oops,NE,BALT,CLE,HOU,NYJ

Week 10
Offense = BENGALS
Defense = COWBOYS

USED

OFFENSE: KC, PHI, MIN, BUF, MIA, LAR, SEA, DET, NO

DEFENSE: WAS, DAL, KC, CLE, BAL, BUF, LV, NYJ, NO

WEEK 10

OFFENSE: DAL

DEFENSE: PIT

:boxing:
Used
Off : LAC / PHI / KC /BUF /MIA / LAR /SEA /DET / NO
Def: ATL / DAL / SF / KC / DET / BUF / LV / NYJ / CLE

Week 10
Off : DAL
Def: BAL

Previously Used
Offense: SEA, BUF, MIA, HOU, NOS, WAS, PHI, BAL, DAL
Defense: MIN,DEN, DAL, JAX, MIA, SFO, CLE, SEA, NYG

Week 10:
Offense: Chargers
Defense: Colts

O - Bills
D - cowboys

Used
O - chargers, vikings, brooncos, rams, dolphins, lions, chiefs

D - commanders, Patriots, eagles, saints, 49ers, falcons, browns

Whelp, it was fun while it lasted.

USED O WAS NYG DAL SF ARI LAR SEA BAL CLE
USED D WAS NYG DAL SF ARI LAR SEA BAL CLE

O:BUF
D:LVR

USED:
OFF: LAC, BUF, MIN, DEN, KC, MIA, PHI, DET, IND
DEF: ATL, DEN, NE, SF, BAL, PHI, SEA, NYJ, CLE

WEEK 10:
OFF: Cincinnati
DEF: Dallas

Knew I should have done this this morning before I left the house.

Score: +144

Used -
Off - WAS, BUF, KC, PHI, MIA, LAR, SEA, DAL, NOS
Def - CAR, DAL, NE, SF, DET, BUF, LVR, NYJ, CLE

Week 10:
Offense - Detroit
Defense - Seattle

Used O - KC, TB, MIN, LAC, MIA, SF, BUF, BAL, IND
Used D - MIN, DAL, MIA, KC, DET, SF, CLE, SEA, TEN

Week 10
O - Cowboys
D - Bills

Used O - Was / Sea / Dal / LAC / Miami / Buffalo / Philadelphia / KC / Cincy
Used D - Was / NYG / Dal / LAC / Detroit / Philly / Seattle / NYJ / Cleveland

Week 10

Offense - Denver
Defense - LVR

OFF: Chargers, Bills, Vikings, Dolphins, Chiefs, Rams, Seahawks, Lions, Bengals,
DEF: Commanders, Cowboys, Patriots, Chiefs, Ravens, Bills, Raiders, Jets, Browns

Offense: Cowboys
Defense: Steelers

Good luck to all you unoriginal *******s who thought long and hard about that sneaky Dallas double up move!
I intentionally do not look at anyone's pick before I make mine. I also don't look at my opponent's lineup before the games start. I don't want extra influences that might make me change away from a good decision. But I'm not surprised that Dallas was a popular choice.

What I don't understand is, why is it bad to go with what looks like a good combination for the week? Is it better to be a contrarian and choose what looks like a worse option? I'm not great at this game, so I'm going with what's been keeping me out of the basement. But what's the rationale for purposely not choosing what seems to be a winning combination?
I feel like you've been pretty good at this before! Didn't you win it one year? Maybe I'm mis-remembering.

My opinion is (and I'm sure many have heard it before, so feel free to ignore this post if that's you), that you're taking all the thought and strategy out of it.

Basically when you pick 2 different teams, you're calculating 4 teams into the equation. You might like Dallas to score a lot of points because their offense is good and ALSO because the Giants D is bad at stopping them. So you're searching for an offense you like that week, that's also playing against a team whose defense you don't like (maybe weather conditions are bad, maybe it's a div game that always is played tight, etc, etc.)

Then let's say you choose The Steelers for Defense....same thing. You like their defense, and might have a feeling that they can stop the Packers that week who may not be good on the road in November (whatever, you get the point). So you've got 2 games that you have interest in, 4 teams you want to do well/not well, and put some thought and brains into it.

Just picking the same team, is just saying "I think this team will smoke the other team and win by a lot. I'm going to pick their O and their D". You don't really care how many points the Giants score, because as long as Dallas wins by 50, you're laughing. You're just following one game, put no thought into besides "they're gonna crush them". How many points the offense scores and how many points the defense allows, doesn't really matter as long as they win big. If Dallas wins 70-40, you're in good shape even though your defensive pick sucked. I think it's taking the cheap way out and is lame.

I didn't make up the contest though, so that's just my opinion. Also, at this point it's become 50% jest/shtick, and 50% real opinion... so I'll continue to boo those people! :wink:
I feel like I've won my fair share of stuff fantasy-wise. But man, I'm awful at this game. One year I had to rally at the end just to finish positive. Maybe that's why I like it so much. It's a true challenge. I'll play it every year we do it.

It just feels like people are trying to add a degree of difficulty to a game that doesn't require it. Like if I said "I'm not gonna draft anyone from Kansas City or Philadelphia because they were in the Super Bowl so we know they're good. That's taking the cheap way out and being lame." My opponents would chuckle and take who they wanted, then wonder why I'm making things harder for no reason.

I'm choosing it because of the reasons you mentioned. I get to be (more) competitive and use less brain power. That's more time and energy for other games or whatever. I see it as working smart vs working hard. Why work harder for no reason? The hot sauce won't taste any better if you win.

But feel free to boo, of course. I know some folks purposely take different teams or use other limitations, and that's cool. But they get no brownie points from me. I look at where they are in the standings, and that's all that matters. And as I said before, I'd be cool with the champ deciding whether to allow same team O and D for next year.

OFF: Chargers, Bills, Vikings, Dolphins, Chiefs, Rams, Seahawks, Lions, Bengals,
DEF: Commanders, Cowboys, Patriots, Chiefs, Ravens, Bills, Raiders, Jets, Browns

Good luck to all you unoriginal *******s who thought long and hard about that sneaky Dallas double up move!
I intentionally do not look at anyone's pick before I make mine. I also don't look at my opponent's lineup before the games start. I don't want extra influences that might make me change away from a good decision. But I'm not surprised that Dallas was a popular choice.

What I don't understand is, why is it bad to go with what looks like a good combination for the week? Is it better to be a contrarian and choose what looks like a worse option? I'm not great at this game, so I'm going with what's been keeping me out of the basement. But what's the rationale for purposely not choosing what seems to be a winning combination?
I feel like you've been pretty good at this before! Didn't you win it one year? Maybe I'm mis-remembering.

My opinion is (and I'm sure many have heard it before, so feel free to ignore this post if that's you), that you're taking all the thought and strategy out of it.

Basically when you pick 2 different teams, you're calculating 4 teams into the equation. You might like Dallas to score a lot of points because their offense is good and ALSO because the Giants D is bad at stopping them. So you're searching for an offense you like that week, that's also playing against a team whose defense you don't like (maybe weather conditions are bad, maybe it's a div game that always is played tight, etc, etc.)

Then let's say you choose The Steelers for Defense....same thing. You like their defense, and might have a feeling that they can stop the Packers that week who may not be good on the road in November (whatever, you get the point). So you've got 2 games that you have interest in, 4 teams you want to do well/not well, and put some thought and brains into it.

Just picking the same team, is just saying "I think this team will smoke the other team and win by a lot. I'm going to pick their O and their D". You don't really care how many points the Giants score, because as long as Dallas wins by 50, you're laughing. You're just following one game, put no thought into besides "they're gonna crush them". How many points the offense scores and how many points the defense allows, doesn't really matter as long as they win big. If Dallas wins 70-40, you're in good shape even though your defensive pick sucked. I think it's taking the cheap way out and is lame.

I didn't make up the contest though, so that's just my opinion. Also, at this point it's become 50% jest/shtick, and 50% real opinion... so I'll continue to boo those people! :wink:
I feel like I've won my fair share of stuff fantasy-wise. But man, I'm awful at this game. One year I had to rally at the end just to finish positive. Maybe that's why I like it so much. It's a true challenge. I'll play it every year we do it.

It just feels like people are trying to add a degree of difficulty to a game that doesn't require it. Like if I said "I'm not gonna draft anyone from Kansas City or Philadelphia because they were in the Super Bowl so we know they're good. That's taking the cheap way out and being lame." My opponents would chuckle and take who they wanted, then wonder why I'm making things harder for no reason.

I'm choosing it because of the reasons you mentioned. I get to be (more) competitive and use less brain power. That's more time and energy for other games or whatever. I see it as working smart vs working hard. Why work harder for no reason? The hot sauce won't taste any better if you win.

But feel free to boo, of course. I know some folks purposely take different teams or use other limitations, and that's cool. But they get no brownie points from me. I look at where they are in the standings, and that's all that matters. And as I said before, I'd be cool with the champ deciding whether to allow same team O and D for next year.
fair enough and good points. I disagree though and don't think it's anything like "don't pick an eagle or chief". And it's not taking a LOT of time or energy, it's just picking an offense and defense that are not connected, instead of just hoping one team wins the game. If Dallas gets an int for example, you're kind of double dipping and profiting twice off the same play (giants didn't get the score there, and dallas is in a better position to score). I think they should be mutually exclusive when deciding on an O and D.... but we'll see who wins this year and if they'll change it lol.

O: - BUF(16), TB(27), SF(30), LAC(24), DET(42), MIA(42), PHI(31), DAL(43), KC(21)
D: - BUF(22), DEN(35), JAX(37), NO(26), DET(24), SF(19), TB(16), TEN(23), LVR(6)
Scores: (-6), (-8), (-7), (-2), 18, 23, 15, 20, 15

Week 10:
O: Da Bears
D: How about dem Cowboys
Guess my research didn't pay off.
Carolina had given up 36.25 points a game on the road and 29 points their last 5 games. Their four road games have averaged 56 total points.
Chicago averaged 22.75 points at home and 22.6 their last 5 games. Eight of their 9 games have had between 40 and 60 total points. I thought picking the Bears offense was a sneaky play (since I already used Dallas) and that 30+ points was a strong possibility.
How the heck does the final score be 16-13??? :confused:

air enough and good points. I disagree though and don't think it's anything like "don't pick an eagle or chief". And it's not taking a LOT of time or energy, it's just picking an offense and defense that are not connected, instead of just hoping one team wins the game. If Dallas gets an int for example, you're kind of double dipping and profiting twice off the same play (giants didn't get the score there, and dallas is in a better position to score). I think they should be mutually exclusive when deciding on an O and D.... but we'll see who wins this year and if they'll change it lol
It’s not just hoping one team wins. That would be the case if we only wanted positive numbers but we want a greater difference than others get. Some times when I select an offense it’s because I think the game will be a shoot out, like lions and chargers. Usually, if I think the team’s defense isn’t going to give up many points, I’m inclined to think the offense will possibly have bench players coming in on offense, although that doesn’t seem to be the case as much as it can be in college.
But it’s also about whether we think that offense will score more in a future week.

Are you against starting a QB and WR from the same team in your leagues?

O: - BUF(16), TB(27), SF(30), LAC(24), DET(42), MIA(42), PHI(31), DAL(43), KC(21)
D: - BUF(22), DEN(35), JAX(37), NO(26), DET(24), SF(19), TB(16), TEN(23), LVR(6)

Week 10:
Carolina had given up 36.25 points a game on the road and 29 points their last 5 games. Their four road games have averaged 56 total points.
Chicago averaged 22.75 points at home and 22.6 their last 5 games. Eight of their 9 games have had between 40 and 60 total points. I thought picking the Bears offense was a sneaky play (since I already used Dallas) and that 30+ points was a strong possibility.
Thursday

Oh I agree - I don't think same team on offense and defense is easy mode by any means.

I've always wanted to try my harder way mainly bc I am not any good at this myself usually so figured I'd add an interesting twist.

(Side note I DO think survivor contests should add the provision that you can only pick against a team once - would get a rid a lot of the ties that end up happening in those and adds a proper degree of difficulty to that format in an era of tanking teams)

-QG

Week 10:
Thursday
I don't think that's it. This was the 2nd lowest Thursday Night score this season behind the 19-8 KC/Denver game (which also defied logic). The average total points on Thursday was 46.5 until this week. In Week 5 the same Bears beat Washington 40-20 on Thursday. Are they that much better with Justin Fields leading the offense?

Users who are viewing this thread