What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Philadelphia Eagles - Complete waste of a season finally comes to an end. (3 Viewers)

Not sure I understand the 3rd QB thing...there is no positional limit on game day rosters now, is there? IE: If a team wants to have 4 or 5 Qbs on their game day roster they can.

There has to be more to the rule

It keeps a non QB from playing the position and for safety reasons. SF put Purdy out on the field when he was still hurt. No one was trying to intentionally injure him further but a freak accident and who knows what happens. It prevents those situations from happening and I'm sure the owners/league wasn't pleased seeing ratings go down for the game when McCaffery had to play QB. At It may not been a lot of hope but remember what we did in Mirace at The Meadowlands 2.

This was more or less has to do with ratings plus lost $$$$ from people tuning the game out.
The rule change wouldn't have affected the NFCCG. SF had no one else. They had the option to dress a 3rd QB and chose not to. The rule change would not have allowed SF to better protect their QBs throughout the season. The sad fact (for SF) is that when you've lost 4 QBs, you're probably not going to put a good offensive product on the field no matter what.

The best thing SF can do going forward is protect the QB.

I dont know a single 49er fan who thinks or thought that. I dont even know why the rule was proposed, it wouldnt have made any difference in that game. We were already on QB3 since week 13.
The bolded is where I think most Eagles fans are coming from. The rule doesn't address losing Purdy. It's not like there were 2 more Purdy's on the bench and once the 2nd one went down you the 3rd Purdy was there, but off-limits. Allowing a team to go to QB3 (or in SF's case, QB5) when they otherwise wouldn't have been able to doesn't really change the fact that you're (at least) 3 QBs into your depth chart at that point.

But there's absolutely SF fans (and players and coaches, as well as other fans and pundits) that bemoaned the fact they didn't have a 3rd QB to go to and how it cost them a chance to compete and/or win the game. It's what drove the rule change.

Most bitching was because most of the pundits thought SF would steam roll us so they were trying to come up with the lamest excuses. I remember I was watching the NFL Draft last day ESPN at work on my phone and they did a segment of Mel Kiper appreciation which was nauseating. The funniest part was they added a whole bunch of clips of Mel making predictions that were completely wrong. I don't know if that was someone with an inside joke the guys doing the draft and Mel didn't get or what. But it was funny seeing how people act like Mel is some expert and then seeing all his hot takes. Even after the video they were all just circle jerking over him still. Gone are the days of "experts" and "journalists" admitting they were wrong. it's all about clicks and ratings and hot takes now.

This was more or less has to do with ratings plus lost $$$$ from people tuning the game out.
The rule change wouldn't have affected the NFCCG. SF had no one else. They had the option to dress a 3rd QB and chose not to. The rule change would not have allowed SF to better protect their QBs throughout the season. The sad fact (for SF) is that when you've lost 4 QBs, you're probably not going to put a good offensive product on the field no matter what.

I agree but the NFL and owners care about money. They aren't going to tell SF how to run their team before the game but this protects their investment in the league

I agree but the NFL and owners care about money. They aren't going to tell SF how to run their team before the game but this protects their investment in the league
Sure, but SF didn't have another QB on their roster. For the fans that are happy this rule passed, I ask who would the Niners have dressed? SF's issue is protecting the QB, not roster limits.

Thing is, this rule won't change much for a lot of teams. It expands gameday rosters only, so if a team only carries 2 QBs, like many do (and stash a 3rd on the practice squad) then this won't help. In SF case they had a third, but it was Jimmy G who was still injured I believe. Most teams get more value over a position player than a 3rd QB on the roster, especially since QBs worthy of rostering are so rare. Now if they expanded it to a 54-man roster, but the 54th has to be a QB in addition to what they did, that would make more sense and actually be helpful. This is a half measure to address the whining.
So going in the time machine, who would have been the 3rd QB to make the difference after Josh Johnson went out?
Don't even care about that, but no one. Not sure they even had a QB on the practice squad. But if my idea to force a 3rd one was in play, then even a bum QB is better than nothing and running every play.

And I just read that the original proposal was to allow the 3d QB to also be from the practice squad, which was a good idea, but for some dumb reason the rule that went into place says must be on the 53. The NFL is so dumb. Maybe it's my cranky old man talking, but I seem to hate it more every day. Like Amazon Prime games and flexing Thursday night games. Get off my lawn!
Not a fan of flexing to Thursdays at all, let alone switching from regular network to streaming service only. Big thumbs down to the NFL on this one. TERRIBLE for fans who like to actually go to games, and not a fan of forcing Amazon down our throats

Get use to it. Eventually all sports will be on streaming and only a select group will be on TV. They will keep most of the good games on the streaming service to force you to buy it. Soccer is already doing this and Premier League in England with the US Sponsorship already with peacock. Most if the big matches weren't shown on NBC's partnership of networks either. They maybe had one good match but say Manchester United vs Man City was on the streaming. MLS recently got rid of all local broadcast and has everything on Apple TV. All games start same time besides the west coast and maybe game of the week FOXSports gets. I know most don't count it but even pro wrestling is streaming now in most cases. Most are either a PPV event or in some instances of being in another country streaming service.

MLB already has a game on Apple and Peacock. Most of the NFL playoffs on ESPN you can't watch despite an ABC subscription on ESPN+. Slowly but surely everything will be on streaming soon. Doesn't mean you should like it but it's getting there. I think 15 yrs from now every sport is streaming or close to it.

Sure, but SF didn't have another QB on their roster. For the fans that are happy this rule passed, I ask who would the Niners have dressed? SF's issue is protecting the QB, not roster limits.

I agree their biggest issue is QB protecting in the scheme of things though anyone who could play QB and has played is better then sending McCaffery out there or an injured Purdy again.

from jimmy kempski

Remember when Carson Wentz got speared in the playoffs, left with a concussion, and then Josh McCown subsequently tore his hamstring, stayed in the game, couldn't do anything, the Eagles lost, didn't ***** about it for the next 5 months, and the NFL didn't change any rules?

“Eagles too good" rules were passed this year.

:lmao:

The Dallas Cowboys Cycle

1. Season starts ------> we are almost here
2. Beat up on bad teams
3. Fans get delusional
4. "We dem boyz, this is our year"
5. Choke in the playoffs
It's funny. I had SO MANY friends/family members last year whining about the "hard schedule/of course we start against Tom Brady" takes last year, and by the end of the year it was "Haha, we made Brady retire!" after finally beating him once in his career when he had a team that was 8-9. My only take was "You guys were first place, that's how the schedule goes if you don't know"

Fast forward now it's basically something like

"No way you can win the division, no one EVER repeats as division champs anymore in the NFC East" which ya know, has no bearing on this year but sure.
and something like
"The fall off is coming! You lost SO MANY defensive players and coaches, 1st place schedule is gonna break you!"

from jimmy kempski

Remember when Carson Wentz got speared in the playoffs, left with a concussion, and then Josh McCown subsequently tore his hamstring, stayed in the game, couldn't do anything, the Eagles lost, didn't ***** about it for the next 5 months, and the NFL didn't change any rules?

Clowney didn’t even get fined or suspended either for it. I think the biggest issue is people overreacted to this one based on the final score

The Dallas Cowboys Cycle

2. Beat up on bad teams
3. Fans get delusional
5. Choke in the playoffs

The Dallas Cowboys Cycle

2. Beat up on bad teams
3. Fans get delusional
5. Choke in the playoffs
It's funny. I had SO MANY friends/family members last year whining about the "hard schedule/of course we start against Tom Brady" takes last year, and by the end of the year it was "Haha, we made Brady retire!" after finally beating him once in his career when he had a team that was 8-9. My only take was "You guys were first place, that's how the schedule goes if you don't know"

"No way you can win the division, no one EVER repeats as division champs anymore in the NFC East" which ya know, has no bearing on this year but sure.
and something like
"The fall off is coming! You lost SO MANY defensive players and coaches, 1st place schedule is gonna break you!"
That’s a lot of words.
And none of them reflect the fact that ‘rules are being changed because the eagles are SOOOO GOOOOOD’ is hilarious

Well, we know that the Eagles are losing Stetson College off of their schedule so it would seem appropriate -- if you ask any Philly fan -- to change the rules to benefit them. Or keep stupid obsolete ones that benefitted them last year.

Push the pile!

What a rugby scrum.

Well, we know that the Eagles are losing Stetson College off of their schedule so it would seem appropriate -- if you ask any Philly fan -- to change the rules to benefit them. Or keep stupid obsolete ones that benefitted them last year.

Push the pile!

What a rugby scrum.

i dont see it that way.

i think its crazy that one team has a play all the other teams cant stop. Thats interesting.

Push the pile!

What a rugby scrum.
We play the Bucs Week 3. I disagree.

Rugby scrum was definitely a play that I guess "is boring" yet someone proposed to outlaw. Good ole "1950's offense" with 29 PPG. And it should be better this year.

The Dallas Cowboys Cycle

2. Beat up on bad teams
3. Fans get delusional
5. Choke in the playoffs

The Dallas Cowboys Cycle

2. Beat up on bad teams
3. Fans get delusional
5. Choke in the playoffs

and something like
That’s a lot of words.
And none of them reflect the fact that ‘rules are being changed because the eagles are SOOOO GOOOOOD’ is hilarious
Well, for whatever reason, when the "allow 3 QB's rule" was adapted, the first poster on here to break the news happened to be a 49ers fan, yet it had nothing to do with our game in the NFC Title game at all. They seem more your nemesis than us though as they keep sending you guys home despite whoever is the QB in the playoffs...

The Dallas Cowboys Cycle

2. Beat up on bad teams
3. Fans get delusional
5. Choke in the playoffs

The Dallas Cowboys Cycle

2. Beat up on bad teams
3. Fans get delusional
5. Choke in the playoffs

and something like
That’s a lot of words.
Rent free!

The Dallas Cowboys Cycle

2. Beat up on bad teams
3. Fans get delusional
5. Choke in the playoffs

The Dallas Cowboys Cycle

2. Beat up on bad teams
3. Fans get delusional
5. Choke in the playoffs

and something like
That’s a lot of words.
Rent free!
You must be referring to

@Snotbubbles
@Terpman22

as neither can reply to a Cowboys fan in a thread without posting about the Cowboys. Ever

Weak
Weird how that goes. Replying to a Cowboys fan jumping into an Eagles thread...

All good. Looking forward to winning the division again, getting flack about the push the tush rule or how Jalen Hurts is only good b/c he has a loaded roster or whatever the narrative will turn into this year!

a Cowboys fan jumping into an Eagles thread...
So you admit that triggers you

Cool, you are maturing
Run with whatever narrative you want bro haha. I have said on here literally before I enjoy talking trash with Cowboys fans. Good luck w Dak and his league leading INTs this year. I can't wait to here you and your brethren explain away why its not his fault. Get ready for the SWEEP.

Cool, you are maturing
Run with whatever narrative you want bro haha. I have said on here literally before I enjoy talking trash with Cowboys fans. Good luck w Dak and his league leading INTs this year. I can't wait to here you and your brethren explain away why its not his fault. Get ready for the SWEEP.
Are you able to address the point that everyone that’s ever watched football knows the QB rule change is because people changed the channel ($$$$$$$) and not because the Eagles are SSOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD without mentioning the Cowboys or no?

Cool, you are maturing
Are you able to address the point that everyone that’s ever watched football knows the QB rule change is because people changed the channel ($$$$$$$) and not because the Eagles are SSOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD without mentioning the Cowboys or no?
Sure thing. 2 rules that were proposed this year were in direct correlation to Eagles success.

The Eagles were the main team using the push the tush rule, which had been in place as it stands today for 17 years. The Eagles take advantage of the rule, are borderline unstoppable at it with Jalen Hurts under center (Minshew was NOT the guy you use for this play) and, boom, you have a new rule proposal to basically outlaw it.

The Eagle beat the crap out of the 49ers, in the NFC Championship game, something some of our divisional rivals cannot accomplish in the divisional round of the playoffs, who did not even have a 3rd QB on their roster going into the playoffs, and when we broke Brock and later knocked out Josh Johnson and the team was forced, LOL, to use McAffery as the QB - the game looked like crap and we beat them so badly that a new rule was introduced to at least not let this happen again, yet I just don't see more than a small handful of teams truly going into each game dressing 3 QBs. This was a direct correlation to this very game, that is inarguable.

Cool, you are maturing
Sure thing. 2 rules that were proposed this year were in direct correlation to Eagles success.

The Eagles were the main team using the push the tush rule, which had been in place as it stands today for 17 years. The Eagles take advantage of the rule, are borderline unstoppable at it with Jalen Hurts under center (Minshew was NOT the guy you use for this play) and, boom, you have a new rule proposal to basically outlaw it.

The Eagle beat the crap out of the 49ers, in the NFC Championship game, something some of our divisional rivals cannot accomplish in the divisional round of the playoffs, who did not even have a 3rd QB on their roster going into the playoffs, and when we broke Brock and later knocked out Josh Johnson and the team was forced, LOL, to use McAffery as the QB - the game looked like crap and we beat them so badly that a new rule was introduced to at least not let this happen again, yet I just don't see more than a small handful of teams truly going into each game dressing 3 QBs. This was a direct correlation to this very game, that is inarguable.

There was already talk about this rule well before last years championship game

An upgrade at the slot receiver position just became available. Howie to the white courtesy phone please.
Not really he’s done I’ll take Zaccheus over him. Also I heard despite the success eagles already have mouths to feed primary targets 3 of them and apparently not everyone was thrilled last year.
Brandon Lee Gowron of Bleeding Green mentioned something about this just now. It was someone within the Brown/Goadart/Smith big 3. Eagles had a similar issue with a player when Wentz was here targeting Ertz too much. I think these 3 are more professional then said player who bitched back then but I’d be shocked if they added DHop. Eagles learned a lot from the Wentz/Hurts debaticle and some within the team dynamics of that.

An upgrade at the slot receiver position just became available. Howie to the white courtesy phone please.
Not really he’s done I’ll take Zaccheus over him. Also I heard despite the success eagles already have mouths to feed primary targets 3 of them and apparently not everyone was thrilled last year.
Brandon Lee Gowron of Bleeding Green mentioned something about this just now. It was someone within the Brown/Goadart/Smith big 3. Eagles had a similar issue with a player when Wentz was here targeting Ertz too much. I think these 3 are more professional then said player who bitched back then but I’d be shocked if they added DHop. Eagles learned a lot from the Wentz/Hurts debaticle and some within the team dynamics of that.
Maybe, but is all about that trophy. I don't think anyone would be complaining next February if they're holding the Lombardi.

Cool, you are maturing

There was already talk about this rule well before last years championship game
yeah...and a slightly different version of it was used for several years a decade or so ago.

As many have pointed out....it seems like it wouldn't have made a difference.

Maybe, but is all about that trophy. I don't think anyone would be complaining next February if they're holding the Lombardi.

It comes down to money in the end for most of these guys. Better performance means more $$$$ down the line.

Last phase of Organized Team Activities start today. Practices will be May 30, June 1-2, June 5-6, June 8. No live contact, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 is permitted. Two of the days will be open to the media, one later this week and one next week.

Like they did last year, there will be no mini-camp later in June, so players won't be back again until training camp starts near the end of July.

Caught Reuben Frank on the radio last night. He said the biggest thing that stood out to him so far is Nolan Smith. He said the knock on him was that he was undersized, but Frank said Smith didn't look undersized. His size looked every bit a pass rushing DE.

Our DLine could be even better this season and that is saying something.

Caught Reuben Frank on the radio last night. He said the biggest thing that stood out to him so far is Nolan Smith. He said the knock on him was that he was undersized, but Frank said Smith didn't look undersized. His size looked every bit a pass rushing DE.

Our DLine could be even better this season and that is saying something.
80 sacks incoming!!

Users who are viewing this thread