What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (16 Viewers)

Ben covered up many oline warts by having the fastest release last season, and I don't see MT or MR duplicating that. Picket is the only unknown at this juncture.

I've been saying it, and I'll stick to it, this offensive line will perform worse than it did last season. Chicago was happy to part with Daniels, Moore will be exposed on the left, while Green appears to be a bust at any position.

Book it, and I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong. They need to tend to this major issue in the next draft.

Trusbisky looked good, especially in the 2 min drill before the half. The other QB's did also. But that line, OOF. Afraid it's going to be be a long season.

Trusbisky looked good, especially in the 2 min drill before the half. The other QB's did also. But that line, OOF. Afraid it's going to be be a long season.
Yeah the offensive line is going to be rough, hopefully they improve as we go along. I've got concerns with our run defense as well. Pass coverage in the middle of the field looks suspect too.

I think we might be in for a beat down in Cincinnati. Don't get too discouraged if we lose big week 1.

Yeah the offensive line is going to be rough, hopefully they improve as we go along. I've got concerns with our run defense as well. Pass coverage in the middle of the field looks suspect too.

I think we might be in for a beat down in Cincinnati. Don't get too discouraged if we lose big week 1.

They should take a flier on Eric Fisher. or some of these other potentially available linemen.

They also still need another backup OLB.

The Kazee injury hurts -- that gave them some flexibility.

Thanks @Joe Bryant

5. PIT - QB Mitchell Trubisky expected to get Week 1 nod

Source: NFL Network - Ian Rapoport

Pittsburgh Steelers QB Mitchell Trubisky will likely be the starting quarterback in Week 1 against the Cincinnati Bengals, but head coach Mike Tomlin will announce the identity of the starting quarterback at his leisure, according to NFL Media's Ian Rapoport. It would be a surprise if Mitchell Trubisky is not named the starting quarterback for Week 1. ... He has been the QB1 from the beginning,' according to Rapoport.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Nobody should be surprised by this news. What would be more surprising is Trubisky starting all of the 2022 season. The Steelers have Kenny Pickett, a first-round pick in this year's draft, as the quarterback of the future. When they're out of playoff contention, perhaps the team turns the reins of the offense over to the rookie to get him valuable experience.

Giants released former Steelers 6th round draft pick OLB Quincy Roche. I am guessing he might be back considering our lack of depth at OLB.

The Steelers made their first round of roster cuts on Tuesday morning as they need to get down to the NFL's mandatory 53-man roster by 4 p.m. today.

Among those released were defensive lineman Henry Mondeaux, who played in 11 games in 2020 and 15 in 2021, including two starts. Also released was Buddy Johnson, who was selected in the fourth round of the 2021 NFL Draft, and Carlos Davis, who was drafted in the seventh round of the 2021 NFL Draft.

On the defensive side of the ball the team released defensive backs Elijah Riley, Chris Steele, and Linden Stephens; linebackers Ron'Dell Carter, Johnson, Hamilcar Rashed, Delontae Scott, and James Vaughters; and defensive linemen Carlos Davis, Khalil Davis, Donovan Jeter, and Mondeaux.
On offense, the team released offensive linemen William Dunkle, Adrian Ealy, Chaz Green, John Leglue, and Ryan McCollum, running back Max Borghi; tight ends Kevin Rader and Jace Sternberger; and receivers Tyler Snead, Tyler Vaughns and Cody White.
The team also waived/injured defensive back Carlins Platel.

Three additional roster moves need to be made by 4 p.m. to get to the 53-man roster.

Steelers acquire OL Jesse Davis from Minnesota Vikings in a trade.

Gave up 8 sacks last year and committed 4 penalties in 1,063 snaps. PFF gave him a 52.5 grade.

2020 he had a 62.6 grade with 1 sack and 2 penalties in 1,055 snaps

Gave up 8 sacks last year and committed 4 penalties in 1,063 snaps. PFF gave him a 52.5 grade.

Conditional 7th rounder. He seems to be a replacement for Haeg, who they just cut.

Conditional 7th rounder. He seems to be a replacement for Haeg, who they just cut.
I heard a conditional 2025 7th rounder so essentially nothing
I wonder if this is the prelude to Chuks moving to LT and Davis starting at RT potentially.

I heard a conditional 2025 7th rounder so essentially nothing
I wonder if this is the prelude to Chuks moving to LT and Davis starting at RT potentially.
Davis has been best at RG

Davis is another turnstile

There's a reason why Vikes gave him up easily after signing him in March
Of course but it’s a small price to pay for a guy that’s versatile and has been starting for the past 4-5 years.

Hopefully he is there just for depth and if someone gets hurt you can plug in Davis and have a somewhat capable player.

Chiefs are signing Oladokun to their practice squad. What a wasted pick.

Steelers signed McFarland and Ryan McCollum to practice squad.

Justin Layne claimed by Giants off of waivers.

Steelers signed McFarland and Ryan McCollum to practice squad.

Justin Layne claimed by Giants off of waivers.
7th round picks are a coin-toss to even make the practice squad. Not a big deal IMO.

Glad to see McFarland back. I thought he ran pretty well this preseason

I thought Warren looked really good in preseason, glad he made the team.

And this is a really good looking group of WRs: Diontae Johnson, George Pickens, Chase Claypool, Miles Boykin, Calvin Austin III, Gunner Olszewski, Steven Sims

Calvin Austin III and Damontae Kazee moved to IR. ILB Marcus Allen and OL Trent Scott moved to 53 man roster.

From what I heard Kazee should be only be out 6 weeks so potentially back Week 4 or 5.

Trent Scott is the best we can do?

I don't know much about the state of O-Line coaches out there, but I was not impressed with the resume of Meyer at the time of the hire, and the pre-season didn't do anything to improve his standing in my mind. Scott made the team because he has played for the coach, not because he is good.

A 7th round pick didn't make the team?!
Still a spot where they could have chosen a player at a needed position. Why draft a QB 4?
I'm not arguing but they always have a 4th arm in camp. I suppose they liked Oladokun better than anyone in the 7th round, which really isn't too far from undrafted free agents. Had any of three QBs they had in camp went down to injury, or if they would have traded Rudolph, they would have had a QB they liked (apparently do do the Chiefs) to put on the practice squad.

Still a spot where they could have chosen a player at a needed position. Why draft a QB 4?
I'm not arguing but they always have a 4th arm in camp. I suppose they liked Oladokun better than anyone in the 7th round, which really isn't too far from undrafted free agents. Had any of three QBs they had in camp went down to injury, or if they would have traded Rudolph, they would have had a QB they liked (apparently do do the Chiefs) to put on the practice squad.

I would have been happy with Justyn Ross or Carson Strong, but one is injured again and the other got cut.

Last year we cut Roche (6th), the year before it was Antoine Brooks (6th). Players get cut every year, rather than being disappointed in our final pick of the draft, maybe just look at the fact that we got a QB, WR, DL, WR, TE, and LB that all made the team and look pretty good so far (minus Austin who's hurt).

I would have been happy with Justyn Ross or Carson Strong, but one is injured again and the other got cut.

Last year we cut Roche (6th), the year before it was Antoine Brooks (6th). Players get cut every year, rather than being disappointed in our final pick of the draft, maybe just look at the fact that we got a QB, WR, DL, WR, TE, and LB that all made the team and look pretty good so far (minus Austin who's hurt).
Should have kept Roche ….

Well, he's on the Giants practice squad, so we can sign him at any time.
Sounds like the Steelers like Reed and Jamir Jones more.

Sounds like the Steelers like Reed and Jamir Jones mo

Sounds like the Steelers like Reed and Jamir Jones more.
So is Henry Mondeaux, but let's not.

I am hoping for an upset like Week 1 last year. If the O-Line can open some holes this offense can be good. They are motivated and know they are the scapegoat -- this D and the skill positions are quality.

Nice win for the Steelers today but man could it have come at a higher cost? Torn pec confirmed for Watt which I assume ends his season. Najeh hurt, Cam hurt and a few others as well. Without Watt, this defense is actually pretty bad. Trubisky was worse than I thought. The O line is as bad as advertised. Walk me off the ledge here folks - am I overreacting? Are we drafting in the top 5 next year?

Nice win for the Steelers today but man could it have come at a higher cost? Torn pec confirmed for Watt which I assume ends his season. Najeh hurt, Cam hurt and a few others as well. Without Watt, this defense is actually pretty bad. Trubisky was worse than I thought. The O line is as bad as advertised. Walk me off the ledge here folks - am I overreacting? Are we drafting in the top 5 next year?
1-0. Who knows, we might go undefeated!

1-0. Who knows, we might go undefeated!
Tim - I said to walk me off the ledge and that's the best you got! Not helping brother.

It was good while it lasted. Really good. Amazing performance by the D and special teams.

Can we get an O-line together before the D is old/leaves town?

Users who are viewing this thread