What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (14 Viewers)

Moore was tied for 8th with most sacks allowed with 7 for all Tackles, and 4th for hits allowed with 10. His first season he allowed 7 and 11, so I doubt there was much improvement. He was also tied for 9th in penalties with 10, climbed from 6 in 2021.

Basically, if Johnson Jr drops to 17........you run, not walk to the podium.
There is also no chance Johnson slips to 17 unless there is a gas mask video yet to leak. If he did he would almost certainly be BPA.
One can dream

Moore was tied for 8th with most sacks allowed with 7 for all Tackles, and 4th for hits allowed with 10. His first season he allowed 7 and 11, so I doubt there was much improvement. He was also tied for 9th in penalties with 10, climbed from 6 in 2021.

Sacks allowed is not a particularly useful stat to evaluate olineman. Pickett held on to the ball longer than anyone but Jones or Fields and they are both running threats.
You're right about just listing stats, but i did see him struggle vs Garrett in that last matchup and Hendrickson before that. He did hold up well vs Burns and both Raven games. Let's not mention the Eagles game where he was used as a NY turnstile.

He did have some solid games with struggles vs the better pass rushers, so I'm not sold on him yet. He would have to make a big jump in year 3 for me to believe, and clean up his holding calls.

Sacks allowed is not a particularly useful stat to evaluate olineman. Pickett held on to the ball longer than anyone but Jones or Fields and they are both running threats.
You're right about just listing stats, but i did see him struggle vs Garrett in that last matchup and Hendrickson before that. He did hold up well vs Burns and both Raven games. Let's not mention the Eagles game where he was used as a NY turnstile.

He did have some solid games with struggles vs the better pass rushers, so I'm not sold on him yet. He would have to make a big jump in year 3 for me to believe, and clean up his holding calls.
If you throw out the tackles who struggled against Garrett, there is nobody left. The average tackle gets beat. Thatcis why they are average. However an average tackle is still really valuable. Moore is still learning as well. I think he can be a solidly above average tackle.

There isn't a rookie in this class who could even approach Moore's production next season. It is rough to start at T as a rookie

Every single analyst is saying over and over that this is the worst draft in recent memory as far as talent goes. If that's the case, does it make sense to move back to try and garner extra 2024 draft picks? Or, if there's only ~14 players with a 1st round grade, stay at 17 and hope 1 falls to us and take BPA?

Every single analyst is saying over and over that this is the worst draft in recent memory as far as talent goes. If that's the case, does it make sense to move back to try and garner extra 2024 draft picks? Or, if there's only ~14 players with a 1st round grade, stay at 17 and hope 1 falls to us and take BPA?
Every team in the league knows this. It will be hard to get good picks next year. Plus the Steelers are building as if they are in a window to contend. If you ate, you can't afford to not add to the team.

I agree the draft is weak overall and terrible at several positions, but it is a really strong CB class. I think it is a really good NT group as well. Happens to lineup well with Steelers needs

If that's the case, does it make sense to move back to try and garner extra 2024 draft picks?
It makes sense in theory, but in practice if there really IS a lower overall ceiling on talent this draft then MANY teams will be trying the same thing.

Or at the very least, there would potentially be a very limited set of franchises looking to move up with a disproportionately larger set looking to move down. Doesnt exactly sound like a sellers market.

It really comes down to how much you like the player(s) that are available to you when you pick. If you like the player then draft, if not look for a trade partner.

Stupid question: is the 2024 draft pool supposed to be better than 2023? I seem to recall people saying 2022 wasn't as good as 2023

Entire mock with in-depth takes on Steeler picks.
I agree with the position selection in the first round FWIW.
----------------
Mock Draft: ESPN’s 2-Round mock has Steelers making interesting choices
This is a great example of why mock drafts confuse the situation. These would all be a great addition to the Steelers, but it is really unrealistic

Gonzalez would be a great choice. It is likely he goes in the top 10, I can't see him making it to 17. Schmitt is a reach at 32, but Harrison will be gone way before 49. Switching the picks around is more reasonable

Local Post Gazette writer came out with his first mock for Steelers. Van Ness at 17, Johnson S from TA&M at 32, and the big hoss OL from Ohio St mid 2nd rd.

Van Ness would have to bulk up a lot to play end in Pittsburgh. I don't see him as an option. Johnson should be a target at 32. He would plat a lot corner and be a help in the run game. I think 49 is high for Jones, but I don't think he would be a terrible pick there. Young is an interesting prospect. I think risk combined with age would have me pass, but his upside is intriguing.

Folks will complain and moan about calls, anthems, paint on the field for another day, then its onto 2023. For the steelers I think most agree OL and CB are the 2 spots we want to see upgrades. But before the draft, they need to resign Sutton. But CB and OL are still draft priorities, DL, LB are too. I'd love a 10-12 yr guy at LT, and personally want Jones from UGa at 17. I dont know much about CB play, I do know Porter and his father's history with Steelers, and that is worth something to the Steelers. I hope they dont reach. Combine in a couple weeks, free agency in little over a month. NFL never stops.

Happy for Juju, and also happy to see the Eagles lose.
All I know is that the 2 teams that were in the SuperBowl last night were the teams with the best 2 offensive lines. Having a great O line is not a guarantee for success but man does it sure make things easier for the rest of the players on the field. It's not going to happen by next year but the Steelers simply need to build up the trenches.

Yeah I'm glad for JuJu. Kind of sick of Mahomes and Kelce though
I'm on the other side of that to be honest. Mahomes is pure joy to watch as I think he is on a different level when it comes to the QB position. To gut it out the last two games like he did shows how much the kid is a warrior as well as being the best player in the NFL hands down. Kelce is an absolute beast of a TE and fun to watch as well.

All I know is that the 2 teams that were in the SuperBowl last night were the teams with the best 2 offensive lines. Having a great O line is not a guarantee for success but man does it sure make things easier for the rest of the players on the field. It's not going to happen by next year but the Steelers simply need to build up the trenches.
Creed Humphrey was enjoying his matchup last night and now has a ring. It was a mistake passing him up, and many of us wanted him then.

Juju with a really classless tweet. Glad he is gone.
It was a joke initially put on instagram by an Eagles fan. The overreaction is ridiculous.

I gotta disagree. You don't retweet that. You don't talk trash after the game, especially regarding a questionable call, when Bradberry handled it with total class.
I agree that it wasn't the best idea, but the outrage over it is overblown.

Juju with a really classless tweet. Glad he is gone.
It was a joke initially put on instagram by an Eagles fan. The overreaction is ridiculous.

I gotta disagree. You don't retweet that. You don't talk trash after the game, especially regarding a questionable call, when Bradberry handled it with total class.
I agree that it wasn't the best idea, but the outrage over it is overblown.
I agree it’s overblown but what is the point in doing it unless he has some type of history with Bradberry? I guess it’s possible that Bradberry was talking smack to him during the game. In that case, I have no problem with it. We don’t know all the details so hard to pass judgement. However, Juju never struck me as a very mature kid.

My first mock of the season:

17. Peter Skoronski - OT Northwestern

32. Siaki Ika - DT Baylor

49. Drew Sanders - LB Arkansas

80. Mekhi Garner - CB LSU

120. Andrew Vorhees - OG USC

236. Christian Izien - S Rutgers

243. Nathaniel Dell - WR Houston

Looks good to me. If Skoronski falls to the Steelers I will be thrilled

To good to be true IMO. Not sure if you did this off a site but I don't think we are sniffing Skoronski, Sanders or Dell in those spots.

To good to be true IMO. Not sure if you did this off a site but I don't think we are sniffing Skoronski, Sanders or Dell in those spots.
Skoronski has been moving up and down due to concerns over size. He's been mocked as high as top 7 and as low as the 20's. Sanders started mid/low 2nd, but has been moving higher and higher as time has passed.

I think you hit on all the positions we need to cover in the draft. The only change might be OLB instead of S if we re-sign Edmunds and Kazee. And possibly C instead of OG if the #1 Center is available at our 49th pick, we could take him and kick Cole to OG.

Also, it's not anticipated to be as strong of a WR draft as it has been in recent years, but I would be surprised if we waited until our final pick for WR after trading Claypool, unless we grab someone in FA.

Skoronski has been moving up and down due to concerns over size. He's been mocked as high as top 7 and as low as the 20's. Sanders started mid/low 2nd, but has been moving higher and higher as time has passed.

Deepends on sources you put any stock and I stand by what I said based on those sources I trust.

Depends on sources you put any stock and I stand by what I said based on those sources I trust.
Fair enough. That said, I think we can all agree that there will be a ton of movement in the top 32 between now and the end of April. The combine alone will cause some players to skyrocket and some to plummet.

Skoronski, Jones, and Johnson are all 21 so there's no significant age gap. Historically the Steelers used to prefer younger players in the draft, though Najee and Pickett certainly didn't follow those trends. At this point it does feel like CB or OL in the 1st.

Depends on sources you put any stock and I stand by what I said based on those sources I trust.
Fair enough. That said, I think we can all agree that there will be a ton of movement in the top 32 between now and the end of April. The combine alone will cause some players to skyrocket and some to plummet.

Skoronski, Jones, and Johnson are all 21 so there's no significant age gap. Historically the Steelers used to prefer younger players in the draft, though Najee and Pickett certainly didn't follow those trends. At this point it does feel like CB or OL in the 1st.
100%. I like to see how these things move through the process. This was profootballnetwork.com.

Tried a PFN mock draft. Head space for the Steelers is focus on winning with Defense and get back to a run game controlling the time of possession. Corner is a serious need and this is a great year to draft them.

21 CB Devon Witherspoon - accepted a trade back 4 spots adding a quality pick. Witherspoon was an easy selection plug in as a starter day 1
34 OT Dawand Jones - Massive tackle with ridiculous power. Was able to trade back a couple spots and still get my guy.
49 G/C Cody Mauch - great in the run game. Statement pick of Pittsburgh commitment.
54 CB Eli Ricks - another day 1 starter who fell due to strong CB class and an injury in college limiting his exposure.
80 DI Calijah Kancey - add depth for passing downs
120 Edge Will McDonald IV - add depth to rotate in for starters
180 WR Puca Nacua - nice skill set & standout at BYU made his QB better
236 QB Tyson Gagent - project from a small school. Don’t challenge him to arm wrestle
243 RB Mohamed Ibrahim - anticipate more ground game coming. Build up the stable

Missed out on LB which has to be addressed in free agency. Makes more sense to draft better corners early than a lesser quality LB.

Hearing we could have a new Assistant HC candidate . . . .
Hopefully this hypothetical individual has extensive experience on the offensive-side....

Just that this is a very real possibility.

Bengals fan coming in peace (loved what you did for Flores - the man with the integrity to play to win and give us Burrow will never get a negative word from me lol). Bienemy would be a great move by you guys (I mean the man should be a HC by now) and with a young-QB leading your offense a successful guy like that would be a great hire. Even if he is there for just a year you also would get that San Francisco style bonus pick if a team hired him to be an HC in '24, no?

-QG

Even if he is there for just a year you also would get that San Francisco style bonus pick if a team hired him to be an HC in '24, no?

-QG
Thought it needed to be two years?

Regardless, i am in favor of Bienemy joining the offensive staff in any way they could get him onboard. Anything to get play calling away from Straw Hat.

Even if he is there for just a year you also would get that San Francisco style bonus pick if a team hired him to be an HC in '24, no?

-QG

Regardless, i am in favor of Bienemy joining the offensive staff in any way they could get him onboard. Anything to get play calling away from Straw Hat.
Will see what happens. Not a done deal by any means. But I was just told there are real discussions happening and Tomlin and he are friends and/or share an agent. There are no open jobs for Eric B right now. This would be a promotion and get him out from under Andy’s shadow. So it makes a lot of sense and could build his resume for a real HC position (hopefully in two years!).

This would be a promotion and get him out from under Andy’s shadow. So it makes a lot of sense and could build his resume for a real HC position (hopefully in two years!).
For sure. Just make him "Asst HC - Offense", and call it good. Id essentially just give him the OC's authority and dare Straw Hat to complain about it. Tomlin wont...but I would. 😀

-QG

Will see what happens. Not a done deal by any means. But I was just told there are real discussions happening and Tomlin and he are friends and/or share an agent. There are no open jobs for Eric B right now. This would be a promotion and get him out from under Andy’s shadow. So it makes a lot of sense and could build his resume for a real HC position (hopefully in two years!).
Pretty sure EB is taking the job in Washington.

-QG

Probably. I don't think it's the best option for him long term though. The team is anticipated to be sold and Rivera hasn't done anything with them, he's probably getting fired by new ownership after this year. Though maybe if EB is on staff and the offense does well he gets promoted from within.

-QG

Probably. I don't think it's the best option for him long term though. The team is anticipated to be sold and Rivera hasn't done anything with them, he's probably getting fired by new ownership after this year. Though maybe if EB is on staff and the offense does well he gets promoted from within.
If he took a lateral move to Washington, then maybe he isn't as smart as people think,

-QG

If he took a lateral move to Washington, then maybe he isn't as smart as people think,
Maybe he thinks that he has a better of shot of being promoted to head coach at some point in Washington.

-QG

Will see what happens. Not a done deal by any means. But I was just told there are real discussions happening and Tomlin and he are friends and/or share an agent. There are no open jobs for Eric B right now. This would be a promotion and get him out from under Andy’s shadow. So it makes a lot of sense and could build his resume for

-QG

Maybe he thinks that he has a better of shot of being promoted to head coach at some point in Washington.
This would be the only logical reason, to me.

Even then...eesh. Why willingly climb into a dumpster fire?

Last edited:

-QG

Or that if he can turn Sam Howell into a juggernaut that people will finally hire him as HC?

Admittedly, I had forgotten about the Washington job being open. I thought the Ravens were basically the last legit OC position. But why go to that disastrous organization unless Bezos is closing on the team soon.

Users who are viewing this thread