What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Cleveland Browns - 1-5, Amari Cooper Traded, 2-4 Bengals at Home Next (17 Viewers)

maybe do a Brock Osweiller type thing? Deshaun and 3 1st round picks might entice someone.
I don't know if you've seen DeShaun play this year but Brock would be an upgrade...and we don't have three 1's
eventually the draft picks will be stockpiled
You're not familiar with the Cleveland Browns, are you?
Trade.........everyone.
2025 would be expansion year 1
Don't ever change, you're a treasure
Do you have a better suggestion as to a path for a winning season again in the next 5 years?
I think a contract like this makes it near impossible to have a winning season unless Watson actually performs. I suppose you could always bring in a Flacco or an Andy Dalton and they may even get you to the playoffs, but a superbowl is likely off the table unless the rest of your lineup is so stacked they cannot fail.
Well, he sucks and is never going to perform.
So, we can either ride him out and suck for 5 years then rebuild, or do drastic things and start to rebuild in 2027.

Every option sucks, but I prefer the one that sucks for less time

maybe do a Brock Osweiller type thing? Deshaun and 3 1st round picks might entice someone.
I don't know if you've seen DeShaun play this year but Brock would be an upgrade...and we don't have three 1's
Trade.........everyone.
Do you have a better suggestion as to a path for a winning season again in the next 5 years?
I think a contract like this makes it near impossible to have a winning season unless Watson actually performs. I suppose you could always bring in a Flacco or an Andy Dalton and they may even get you to the playoffs, but a superbowl is likely off the table unless the rest of your lineup is so stacked they cannot fail.
Well, he sucks and is never going to perform.
So, we can either ride him out and suck for 5 years then rebuild, or do drastic things and start to rebuild in 2027.

Every option sucks, but I prefer the one that sucks for less time
if hes this putrid, its only a matter of time til players start to ask to be traded. playing on a team that has no hope of playoffs for this long generally kills morale in the dressing room.

either way, giving up on Watson likely means admitting a mistake which the gm will rarely do. I think they need to fire him before the QB will go anywhere

If we cut Watson right now, what are the cap ramifications and for which years?
Not happening
I don't see the answer there
Correct. You need to create ~100m of cap space
Trade.........everyone.
believe it or not, this exact scenario is within the realm of possible outcomes.

trade every asset possible, fire everyone (except DePodesta, of course), live through cap hell for a few years while trying to rebuild in the draft.

it's legitimately one way out of the mess they're in.

the question is if Haslam is patient enough to go through this again.

Trade.........everyone.
another scenario, which again, is unlikely, is that DTR, or some other rookie QB you acquire in the draft who is dirt cheap comes in and can actually play.

Watson is allowed to "work from home" with maybe a "shoulder injury."

they're still hamstrung with the cap to a degree, but maybe they can hold the roster together for a few more years (with bubble gum and bailing wire) and compete until they get Watson off the books.

regardless of what happens, overall the Browns need to start drafting better.

you can only manipulate the cap for so long before it all comes crashing down.

a third option, they keep running Watson out there until the contract is over, they hire a stop gap coach for the next two years and they draft the savior in 2026.

there's really no good options moving forwards.

they're losing the locker room and the players are just going to ride it out until they can leave.

only the most overpriced free agents will come to Cleveland.

basically the same **** we've seen for years and years.

Trade.........everyone.
Keep starting Watson and we may be picking #1

Trade.........everyone.
We won't have a winning season in 5 years regardless of what we do. It's the Browns and they are incapable of sustained success. Trading everyone at this point would be more of a gift to some of the guys who have road this out, Garrett mostly comes to mind. Trade him to a winner while he still has gas left in the tank and a shot at glory. It's never going to happen in CLE for him. As for the rest? I don't much care at this point but trading everyone isn't a particularly viable option. Totally a Browns thing to do though.

Trade.........everyone.
Can we even afford to sign the #1 pick??

Trade.........everyone.
We can't afford parking in the Muni lot for the next two years

Yes, signings are much different than keep vs cut those currently under contract. The reason we have so much cap space now and are projected for so little the next 2 years is almost everyone on the roster has veteran minimum base salaries with the remainder filled with bonuses that hit future years cap. There are only 3 on this year's roster with base salaries > minimum- Conklin, Newsome, and Moore- and that's probably because they will not be back next year.

Speaking of, next year- it'd cost more cap dollars to cut 12 of the top 14 paid players on the team than keep. The only 2 that would save money by firing are Conklin ($12m- he gone) and Njoku ($350K- pfft). The only situation in which a trade yields a different scenario is Newsome- his full cap hit can be removed if he's traded for pennies on the dollar. That leaves extension or restructure decisions with just Ward (gulp), Pocic (meh), and Watson (punch). Everyone else is already on or near the vet minimum base salary. Long-winded way of saying funding the draft class isn't the problem. All it'll take is a Conklin cut and Newsome trade to fund the draft class, even if we pick #1, and potentially just one or the other.

But that's not even the hard part. The hard part is we need these assets to command enough on the trade market to justify eating those extra $. Then find the space to eat those $. i.e. Myles Garrett will net the greatest return in assets, but he'd cost an extra $5.5m to trade vs just keeping on a roster that doesn't have much flexibility. We don't project to have that $ space right now. I get you want to expansion Browns version 3, but unfortunately pulling the plug ain't that simple even if the appetite is there, which we have reason to doubt is.

Last edited:
up til this year, Cooper was a great player for the Browns.

no new contract, and suddenly he can't catch a cold.

surprised they were able to get a 3rd round pick for him.

He’ll put up big numbers in Buffalo. He should have had the long TD a couple of weeks ago that was called back by the BS holding. It was the best pass Watson made all year.

He’ll put up big numbers in Buffalo. He should have had the long TD a couple of weeks ago that was called back by the BS holding. It was the best pass Watson made all year.
I don’t know about big, but I wouldn’t be shocked at all if he’s very productive in Buffalo.

Fresh starts have a way of improving player’s concentration.

I don’t know about big, but I wouldn’t be shocked at all if he’s very productive in Buffalo.

Fresh starts have a way of improving player’s concentration.

Having a competent QB might help as well

Stadium will be moving from Cleveland to Brook Park. Bibb is live on a presser and is HOT. Must suck to be the Mayor who lost the Browns playing in downtown.

Stadium will be moving from Cleveland to Brook Park. Bibb is live on a presser and is HOT. Must suck to be the Mayor who lost the Browns playing in downtown.
Let me some up my feelings on this topic as succinctly as I can...meh.

Thank you for the time :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread