What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (4 Viewers)

This makes me feel better about passing on Foster.

Report: Reuben Foster had concussion issues

The Miami Herald reports new 49ers ILB Reuben Foster had concussion issues at Alabama, and that his "recovery time was a concern."
Foster's shoulder issues are well documented, but his concussions didn't draw much attention during the pre-draft process. They weren't entirely unknown, and were believed to have happened "early" in his SEC career. What's clear is that Foster's injury history is long and concerning. He didn't fall to No. 31 in a vacuum.

On this weeks Audible, Matt Waldman chose Robert Tonyan TE/WR as his favourite UDFA. He signed with the Lions, of course. 6'4 236 pounds who ran a 4.58 40 yard dash. Former QB that turned WR and now TE.

Most likely wont amount to anything, but interesting to note anyway. Would be very handy if he somehow exploded offensively and we went with him and Roberts a year down the line 

Looks like a junior college version of Adoree Jackson 
Is this pejorative or just referencing the lower exposure level?  One of my leagues starts CB and also rewards return yards, would love to sneak something like this out in the 8th if he's got a shot at making it.

totally forgot about the hype when this guy joined the Lions, I guess its totally quinns show now

Brian Xanders leaves Detroit    Sat May 6, 10:11 AM

The Detroit Lions have parted ways with senior executive Brian Xanders after four seasons, according to a team source

Is this pejorative or just referencing the lower exposure level?  One of my leagues starts CB and also rewards return yards, would love to sneak something like this out in the 8th if he's got a shot at making it.
Just meant similar size, style and skill set. I don't know anything about how good he is or isn't at CB. 

this is probably bad for the lions as far as NFL terms.....but I think it bumps Ebron and means Golloday gets on the field more as as rookie

Anquan Boldin appears unlikely to return    Sat May 6, 10:47 AM

Although free-agent WR Anquan Boldin (Lions) does not plan to retire, he has not had discussions with the Detroit Lions for more than a month. In the opinion of MLive.com's Kyle Meinke, the odds of him returning to Detroit for the 2017 season are growing increasingly slim, especially after the Lions drafted WR Kenny Golladay in the third round of the draft. In addition, Boldin's No. 80 jersey has been reassigned to TE Michael Roberts.

Link to story

Wow. Awful news for the Lions - Taylor Decker injured his shoulder in practice and had surgery. According to Caldwell, he's going to be "out for a while."

@mikerothstein - Lions coach Jim Caldwell said he doesn't think this would end Taylor Decker's 2017 season but will update in training camp.

Wow. Awful news for the Lions - Taylor Decker injured his shoulder in practice and had surgery. According to Caldwell, he's going to be "out for a while."

@mikerothstein - Lions coach Jim Caldwell said he doesn't think this would end Taylor Decker's 2017 season but will update in training camp.
We should know the extent of the injury by beginning of the 2018 season. Terrible news.

Freaking cursed team

Tough break on Decker. If I were to wager a bet on which OL would be hurt first for the Lions I'd say Lang. Expect his hip to keep him out at some point. 

I wonder how much this hurts Abdullah's value

Caldwell says non-contact injury, kind of (without saying it)...  That kind of piques my interest. Anything with connective tissue that would require surgery and keep a player out longer than 3-4 months is in the realm of a rotator cuff, labrum, bicep tear. Pec is usually season ending. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Lions traded for Greg Robinson other from LA rams...gave up a 6th rounder for the #2 overall pick in 2014

Also signed dte Cyrus Kouandjio from buffalo

I like both those moves, brings at least some experience to the position.  Other than Dahl, the other options have proven they can't be counted on to play for an extended period.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Lions traded for Greg Robinson other from LA rams...gave up a 6th rounder for the #2 overall pick in 2014

Also signed dte Cyrus Kouandjio from buffalo
A former 1st rounder and a former 2nd rounder for one 6th rounder, worth a shot as jabarony said.

As long as Cyrus keeps his pants on.

Sad but true. It's still a miracle Detroit made the playoffs last year- coaches and Stafford carried the team. 
You're in agreement the only teams with less talent than the Lions are the Cleveland Browns, Los Angeles Rams, New York Jets, and San Francisco 49ers?

Do you think they have less talent than all 9 teams who won 7 or less games last year? 

Less talent than Arizona, Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, LAC, New Orleans, and Philadelphia? Those teams averaged 5.7 wins last year.

That list includes two teams that won 3 games in 2016, three more who won 5 or 6.

Among the 7 win teams, you think Arizona, Buffalo, New Orleans and Philly are headed in the right direction more than Detroit?

Personally I think they are far closer to middle of the pack than league bottom; I'd put them in the 11-20 range from a talent perspective.

Key veteran arrivals: RT Rick Wagner, RG T.J. Lang, CB D.J. Hayden, LB Paul Worrilow, DE Cornelius Washington
Key departures: RT Riley Reiff, RG Larry Warford, WR Anquan Boldin, KR Andre Roberts
Major long-term injuries: LT Taylor Decker
Top draft picks: Florida LB Jarrad Davis, Florida CB Teez Tabor, Northern Illinois WR Kenny Golladay
This team is not primed for a SB run in 2017 IMO, but the lack of respect seems a bit detached from reality. 

You're in agreement the only teams with less talent than the Lions are the Cleveland Browns, Los Angeles Rams, New York Jets, and San Francisco 49ers?

Do you think they have less talent than all 9 teams who won 8 or less games last year? 

Less talent than Arizona, Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, LAC, New Orleans, and Philadelphia? Those teams averaged 5.7 wins last year.

That list includes two teams that won 3 games in 2016, three more who won 5 or 6.

Among the 7 win teams (not listed), you think Arizona, Buffalo, New Orleans and Philly are headed in the right direction more than Detroit?

Personally I think they are far closer to middle of the pack than league bottom; I'd put them in the 11-20 range from a talent perspective.

This team is not primed for a SB run in 2017 IMO, but the lack of respect seems a bit detached from reality. 
I won't say they are for sure 28th, but I think in terms of talent, the team is near the back end. Since they have a good QB and QB is the most important position, it covers up for weaknesses in other places. Outside of Stafford and the OL, what units do you consider middle of the pack or better? 

I won't say they are for sure 28th, but I think in terms of talent, the team is near the back end. Since they have a good QB and QB is the most important position, it covers up for weaknesses in other places. Outside of Stafford and the OL, what units do you consider middle of the pack or better? 
I would rank them 20th or better at:

• Wide Receiver 
  • Tight End
  • Defensive End
  • Cornerback
  • Slot Corner
  • Free Safety
  • Kicker
  • Punter
The covers 12 of the 18 positions you asked about.

You could make an argument the RBs are top 5 in effectiveness when they're all healthy.

Since the consensus is their bottom 5 in overall talent, which positions are they near the bottom?

OLB for sure. Where else? Remember, the consensus opinion is they're bottom 5 overall. Must be a whole lot of no talent slots to fit that narrative.

I would rank them 20th or better at:

• Wide Receiver 
  • Tight End
  • Defensive End
  • Cornerback
  • Slot Corner
  • Free Safety
  • Kicker
  • Punter
The covers 12 of the 18 positions you asked about.

You could make an argument the RBs are top 5 in effectiveness when they're all healthy.

Since the consensus is their bottom 5 in overall talent, which positions are they near the bottom?

OLB for sure. Where else? Remember, the consensus opinion is they're bottom 5 overall. Must be a whole lot of no talent slots to fit that narrative.
Kicker/Punter is a really good pair. 

I would say the Lions are a bottom tier team in the secondary, DL, LBs. I would say bottom 10 for RB and WR as well. Tate is really better off as a WR2. Marvin Jones is probably better off as a WR3. We have a 3rd round rookie as our WR3 when he probably should have a full year to develop. Ameer has upside, but he hasn't really done much. 161 carries, 700 yards, 5 fumbles. Theo is a really good pass catching back, but he can't play as a traditional back (which hurt last year when Ameer went down). Zenner and Dwayne Washington are nothing. 

Maybe when Decker comes back, the OL ends up being a a great unit. As of now, there is nothing beyond K/P that I would rate as top 10 in the league. 

Mid-pack sounds more about right. Vegas also has them going around .500.
Maybe we were having two different conversations. I think they are a middle of the road team but they are very short on talent. Having a QB like Stafford and solid coaching makes a huge difference. If you replace Stafford with a low end QB like Hoyer or whatever is going on in Houston and the Lions are likely competing with the Jets and 49ers for worst team in the league. 

Maybe we were having two different conversations. I think they are a middle of the road team but they are very short on talent. Having a QB like Stafford and solid coaching makes a huge difference. If you replace Stafford with a low end QB like Hoyer or whatever is going on in Houston and the Lions are likely competing with the Jets and 49ers for worst team in the league. 
Can't argue with that, NFL's top 100 has Stafford at 31 and no other Lion on list.

Just a couple facts to understand how bad the Lions D was last year. If you took all the QBs the Lions faced last year and made that into a composite player, it would have been one of the greatest seasons in NFL QB history. 

4136 yards, 33 TDs 10 INTs, 26 sacks, 106.5 passer rating and the NFL record for completion percentage at 73%. Now the Lions did play Rodgers twice, but look at the other QBs that the Lions were collectively torched by: Luck, Mariota, Hoyer, Wentz, Keenum, Cousins, Osweiler, Bradford (2), Bortles, Barkley, and Dak. There were some good QBs in there, but also some of the worst in the league. Case Keenum threw for 300 and 3. 

LBs in particular were a major achilles heel.  this team is squarely in mediocre-ville.  i like the direction quinn is taking the roster to this point, but the guy still has work to do.  it will be interesting to see how many rookies contribute this year compared to how many contributed last year.

LBs in particular were a major achilles heel.  this team is squarely in mediocre-ville.  i like the direction quinn is taking the roster to this point, but the guy still has work to do.  it will be interesting to see how many rookies contribute this year compared to how many contributed last year.
Adding Davis and Maybin is important because you are right, the LBs were bad. My only worry is that the Lions have a lot of holes and they spent high picks on 2 4-3 LBs that don't rush the passer and a very slow CB.  Those are not typically high valued players in the NFL.

i'm waiting to see what teez tabor does on the field at this level before i make any judgements.  game tape doesn't show him being slow and he's a ball hawk. the lions have more holes than they had picks, so something was going to be neglected and stop-gapped in 2017.

i'm waiting to see what teez tabor does on the field at this level before i make any judgements.  game tape doesn't show him being slow and he's a ball hawk. the lions have more holes than they had picks, so something was going to be neglected and stop-gapped in 2017.
Yeah, I am eternally optimistic but Teez was either injured or is slow. That automatically caps his upside and  he requires some protection. 

Just a couple facts to understand how bad the Lions D was last year. If you took all the QBs the Lions faced last year and made that into a composite player, it would have been one of the greatest seasons in NFL QB history. 

4136 yards, 33 TDs 10 INTs, 26 sacks, 106.5 passer rating and the NFL record for completion percentage at 73%. Now the Lions did play Rodgers twice, but look at the other QBs that the Lions were collectively torched by: Luck, Mariota, Hoyer, Wentz, Keenum, Cousins, Osweiler, Bradford (2), Bortles, Barkley, and Dak. There were some good QBs in there, but also some of the worst in the league. Case Keenum threw for 300 and 3. 
Great post and staggering to think they had the record they did with that defense. The funny thing is that I think they will be better on both sides of the ball and yet probably finish with the same record or worse simply because I don't think the late game heroics and luck factor can duplicate itself again.

Great post and staggering to think they had the record they did with that defense. The funny thing is that I think they will be better on both sides of the ball and yet probably finish with the same record or worse simply because I don't think the late game heroics and luck factor can duplicate itself again.
Thanks and I completely agree with your assessment for 2017. 

Kenny Golladay made 3 tough catches today, all contested very impressive. I know its only preseason but those were NFL catches.

A'Shawn Robinson was a monster today. He looks like he is in much better shape and overpowered the Colts linemen the whole time he was in there. 

Kerry Hyder likely tore his Achilles. Very bad news for the already weak defensive line. 

Kenny Golladay made 3 tough catches today, all contested very impressive. I know its only preseason but those were NFL catches.

A'Shawn Robinson was a monster today. He looks like he is in much better shape and overpowered the Colts linemen the whole time he was in there. 

Kerry Hyder likely tore his Achilles. Very bad news for the already weak defensive line. 
It is official for Hyder. Described as a very bad tear- lost for the season. That is a huge loss. 

I wonder if the Lions go after Freeney or Mario Williams? They definitely need help at DE. Luckily Zettel has been having a good camp. 

It is official for Hyder. Described as a very bad tear- lost for the season. That is a huge loss. 
That is not what this team needed. If the Packers have any dents it may be the ability to apply pressure to their o-line. This hurts as our LB core and secondary are definitely not strengths.

That's a very big loss as he was one of the more talented rushers on team ranked 30th in that department last year. I will say this. The silver lining is that Robinson looks like he's taking a major step forward on the interior and as you mention in another post Zettel is not only having a good camp, but looks like a high motor disruptor they have lacked in recent years that frees up everyone else. Ansah has to get back to healthy. It was just a preseason game but the Lions showed some depth.

I'm not sure about Tabor in coverage yet but he has a nose for the football in the run game. 

Ruddock looked good today. He might go somewhere & be a starter one day.

Galladay Golladay has been having a great TC. All three catches were contested.

DE & LT are both depleted by injuries. I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to the Lions, but I don't see how these guys don't lose at least 10 games. Just doesn't seem like enough of a pass rush to help the back 7, and Stafford is gonna get hit a lot with the scrubs they have filling in for Decker.

Golladay needs to be starting and throw Jones in at #3. He's simply a ham and egger with zero upside.
In 2016, the Lions were in the 11 package (1RB 1TE 3WR) 76% of the time; whether he is designated the WR2 or WR3, he'll likely have a floor of 850-900 snaps this year.

Last year the breakdown was 928 snaps for Jones, 916 for Tate, 880 for Boldin.

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency.html

They stayed in the 11 72% of the Red Zone snaps. Watching the way he attacks contested balls, I feel like he might be this year's Anquan, e.g., Stafford's go to guy on 3rd down and in the RZ. We love to say TDs are variable, but I think that possibility will mitigate what might be pedestrian targets/catches/yards. I don't expect him to dominate the volume, but it wouldn't surprise me if he hauls in 6-8 TDs even as the "WR3."

BobbyLayne said:
In 2016, the Lions were in the 11 package (1RB 1TE 3WR) 76% of the time; whether he is designated the WR2 or WR3, he'll likely have a floor of 850-900 snaps this year.

Last year the breakdown was 928 snaps for Jones, 916 for Tate, 880 for Boldin.

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/personnel-grouping-frequency.html

They stayed in the 11 72% of the Red Zone snaps. Watching the way he attacks contested balls, I feel like he might be this year's Anquan, e.g., Stafford's go to guy on 3rd down and in the RZ. We love to say TDs are variable, but I think that possibility will mitigate what might be pedestrian targets/catches/yards. I don't expect him to dominate the volume, but it wouldn't surprise me if he hauls in 6-8 TDs even as the "WR3."
That counts Boldin as a WR though. We know Boldin wasn't a WR last year, he was a TE. I would expect a lot of Ebron in the slot and Fells in line. 

Users who are viewing this thread