What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 NASCAR Thread (10 Viewers)

I don't watch NASCAR, but I have very loose ties to it. My late uncle's BIL was on the pit crew for Cale Yarborough, and my late uncle lived in Mooresville for decades, and was friends with a lot of drivers. My mom also decorated the inside of Ernie Ervin's house (the one that burned down) when she used to interior decorate. Lastly, I met Kyle Petty during a tour of Victory Junction, which is a magical place for kids with serious health issues. 

Anyway, some of you long-time NASCAR fans might remember the North Wilkesboro Speedway and the Rockingham Speedway. The big news regarding those two lately over the last few months is they are both being renovated and revived. Gov. Cooper allocated 40 million to the Charlotte, North Wilkesboro, and Rockingham Speedways as part of the American Rescue Plan. North Wilkesboro and Rockingham hope to bring NASCAR back to their speedways. I pass by the North Wilkesboro Speedway on the way to Boone or Merlefest, and the speedway has looked sad, deserted, and broken down for years. Construction has already started there. It's exciting for the people of Wilkesboro and Rockingham, and for NASCAR fans. I'm not sure if it excites NASCAR fans outside of NC. The renovations were being discussed on the news about 30 minutes ago, and I saw this thread, and it motivated me to write this. That's about it.  :drive:   🏁

I don't watch NASCAR, but I have very loose ties to it. My late uncle's BIL was on the pit crew for Cale Yarborough, and my late uncle lived in Mooresville for decades, and was friends with a lot of drivers. My mom also decorated the inside of Ernie Ervin's house (the one that burned down) when she used to interior decorate. Lastly, I met Kyle Petty during a tour of Victory Junction, which is a magical place for kids with serious health issues. 

Anyway, some of you long-time NASCAR fans might remember the North Wilkesboro Speedway and the Rockingham Speedway. The big news regarding those two lately over the last few months is they are both being renovated and revived. Gov. Cooper allocated 40 million to the Charlotte, North Wilkesboro, and Rockingham Speedways as part of the American Rescue Plan. North Wilkesboro and Rockingham hope to bring NASCAR back to their speedways. I pass by the North Wilkesboro Speedway on the way to Boone or Merlefest, and the speedway has looked sad, deserted, and broken down for years. Construction has already started there. It's exciting for the people of Wilkesboro and Rockingham, and for NASCAR fans. I'm not sure if it excites NASCAR fans outside of NC. The renovations were being discussed on the news about 30 minutes ago, and I saw this thread, and it motivated me to write this. That's about it.  :drive:   🏁
North Wilkesboro got cleaned up not too long ago by Dale Jr and iracing so they could scan it

North Wilkesboro got cleaned up not too long ago by Dale Jr and iracing so they could scan it
He had it resurfaced to try and revive it, but it is in such bad shape it isn't fit for anyone to safely be there. All sorts of plants are growing out of the concrete around it, and the buildings look like they could crumble at any moment. He has lobbied for it to be revived for a long time, and he was heard.  It is nice that millions are going to go towards all three race tracks. The North Wilkesboro Speedway is an iconic race track, and it has been a shame how it has been wasting away since the 90s. I'm glad to see it get a new life. Their vision is to have races, special events, concerts, etc. there. I hope it works out. 

So are we going to do this all the time? Let’s stop the race for someone to perform? I mean I am a Cube fan,  but really?

I’m new to NASCAR, I could have watch 50 more laps on that track, is there a reason for only 150 laps?

They couldn't do pit stops without a red flag for Ice Cube's set.  With the new surface and cars I'm sure NASCAR was playing it conservatively on the tire wear. 

If they come back to the Coliseum, they'll be able to extend the runs based on the data they got from this weekend.

They couldn't do pit stops without a red flag for Ice Cube's set.  With the new surface and cars I'm sure NASCAR was playing it conservatively on the tire wear. 

If they come back to the Coliseum, they'll be able to extend the runs based on the data they got from this weekend.
ZERO chance they do a full field race there

I wish Nascar would go back to actual stock car racing. I want my Ford's to look like Ford's and Chevy's to look like Chevy's and so on...

Win on Sunday - Sell on Monday!!

I wish Nascar would go back to actual stock car racing. I want my Ford's to look like Ford's and Chevy's to look like Chevy's and so on...

The cars remind me of Lightning McQueen. I'm willing to give them a chance. 

Time to acknowledge Logano is maybe better than given credit for. Has won some big races, but also won the Bristol dirt race and now, yesterday. That's impressive.  

It's been 30 years since the Gen 3 cars and 40 years since Gen 2  The Luminas and Thunderbirds aren't coming back.  Teams have gotten way too sophisticated about aerodynamics.

Ummmmm.....these new cars are slow. Denny wasn't lying when he said during testing they are slower than the trucks. 

Payne said:
Ummmmm.....these new cars are slow. Denny wasn't lying when he said during testing they are slower than the trucks. 

180mph at Daytona is still pretty fast and they'll gain 10mph in the draft.

The big question is whether they'll produce better racing on the intermediate tracks.

ETA:  I guess the really big question is whether they'll be reliable over 500 miles but everybody is smart enough to work the bugs quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
180mph at Daytona is still pretty fast and they'll gain 10mph in the draft.

The big question is whether they'll produce better racing on the intermediate tracks.

ETA:  I guess the really big question is whether they'll be reliable over 500 miles but everybody is smart enough to work the bugs quickly.

I may be in the minority but I miss mechanical reliability as being a factor in races.  It's especially welcome given the composite bodies seem like they will make the cars act like EA Sports "no damage mode" on the shorter tracks.  Teams pushing limits and breaking them is part of the deal imo.

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread