What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Philadelphia Eagles - Howie is like a bottle of Tylenol: Tamper-resistant! (7 Viewers)

Fowler

Former #Commanders head coach Ron Rivera is interviewing with the #Eagles for their defensive coordinator position, per sources. The last time Rivera was a DC, his 2010 Chargers led the league in total defense.
The last time Rivera ran a defense was the last 5 games of this last WAS season, after he fired Del RIo after Thanksgiving. His Defense gave up 45, 28, 30, 27, and 38 points. The team went 0-5. Nothing would make me happier to see him running PHI's D. They'd give up 50+ a game

I mean we did that this year basically.

The Eagles interviewed Kliff Kingsbury for their OC job, per @MikeGarafolo
I am a fan of this. Wouldn't hate seeing him as the pick for OC. He flamed out as an HC*, but he'd be the perfect fit IMO - young guy, creative ideas, experience with RPO's, isn't going to be a HC very soon. And I think his offensive design has stuff to deal with a blitzing defense :wink:

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: JAA
I am a fan of this. Wouldn't hate seeing him as the pick for OC. He flamed out as an OC, but he'd be the perfect fit IMO - young guy, creative ideas, experience with RPO's, isn't going to be a HC very soon. And I think his offensive design has stuff to deal with a blitzing defense :wink:
I agree. His passing schemes along with Stoutland’s run schemes are very intriguing.

He doesn’t motion much (Could be what Sirianni wants?) is heavy in the shotgun and RPO which seems like what we want to do as well. His passing schemes would be great for Jalen as well focusing on shorter intermediate routes.

Still holding out hope for my boy Arthur Smith. Says he’s gotten interest from 7 teams so I’m sure we’re one.

I am a fan of this. Wouldn't hate seeing him as the pick for OC. He flamed out as an OC, but he'd be the perfect fit IMO - young guy, creative ideas, experience with RPO's, isn't going to be a HC very soon. And I think his offensive design has stuff to deal with a blitzing defense :wink:
I agree. His passing schemes along with Stoutland’s run schemes are very intriguing.

He doesn’t motion much (Could be what Sirianni wants?) is heavy in the shotgun and RPO which seems like what we want to do as well. His passing schemes would be great for Jalen as well focusing on shorter intermediate routes.

Still holding out hope for my boy Arthur Smith. Says he’s gotten interest from 7 teams so I’m sure we’re one.
No thanks on Smith. He criminally forgot to use his best players in ATL in Bijan and Pitts. It was pretty terrible. It was beyond fireable offenses. Like he should just be demoted to position coach punishment

View attachment 4393
Honest NFL
@TheHonestNFL

I think it sucks that Brian Johnson was the scapegoat for an offense that he very clearly was not the father of, but if this is what it takes to kill Sirianni’s system once and for all, then so be it. BJ is going to get a chance to actually be an OC eventually instead of just the figurative head of the operation for broadcasts and pressers. It’s hard to be a first-year play caller for an offense that makes pre-snap checks & adjustments at one of the lowest rates in the league. The thing that makes Andy Reid a special play caller is that once the huddle is broken, the QB becomes the play caller and has a wide variety of checks to attack or combat whatever the defense presents. There are no wasted snaps. The Eagles offense had much bigger problems than Brian Johnson, but Sirianni just sacrificed him to the football gods for his own system’s failures.
This account is a great follow, if you aren't already.

what exactly do you see in smith? yes he runs the ball more but i dont see much else with him to like

View attachment 4393
Honest NFL
@TheHonestNFL

I think it sucks that Brian Johnson was the scapegoat for an offense that he very clearly was not the father of, but if this is what it takes to kill Sirianni’s system once and for all, then so be it. BJ is going to get a chance to actually be an OC eventually instead of just the figurative head of the operation for broadcasts and pressers. It’s hard to be a first-year play caller for an offense that makes pre-snap checks & adjustments at one of the lowest rates in the league. The thing that makes Andy Reid a special play caller is that once the huddle is broken, the QB becomes the play caller and has a wide variety of checks to attack or combat whatever the defense presents. There are no wasted snaps. The Eagles offense had much bigger problems than Brian Johnson, but Sirianni just sacrificed him to the football gods for his own system’s failures.
This guy is really good for sure. Just I mean I said earlier, the obsession with comparing everything to Andy Reid, a decade+ after he has been gone has been exhausting. He is going to be an All Time Great HC. I love how people fail to really kind of include the fact that he didn't really become this guy until he got basically the next GOAT at QB though.

And the hate for Nick right now is kinda wild. Andy has been a NFL coach since....1992. You know what REALLY makes Andy Reid a great play caller? 30+ years of experience in the NFL.

Reactions: JAA

what exactly do you see in smith? yes he runs the ball more but i dont see much else with him to like
Yeah as Pitts dynasty owner, would love to see Goedert get 48 targets next year...

View attachment 4393
Honest NFL
@TheHonestNFL

This guy is really good for sure. Just I mean I said earlier, the obsession with comparing everything to Andy Reid, a decade+ after he has been gone has been exhausting. He is going to be an All Time Great HC. I love how people fail to really kind of include the fact that he didn't really become this guy until he got basically the next GOAT at QB though.

And the hate for Nick right now is kinda wild. Andy has been a NFL coach since....1992. You know what REALLY makes Andy Reid a great play caller? 30+ years of experience in the NFL.

and there was a decent period where he wasnt that good at play calling either. helps to have mahomes

View attachment 4393
Honest NFL
@TheHonestNFL

and there was a decent period where he wasnt that good at play calling either. helps to have mahomes
Right lol? Also having arguably the greatest tight end in history as well. 6 years starting, 6 AFC title game appearances. Still has his warts. This team this year looks a whole lot like the 2002-2003 Eagles. Great defense. QB winning them games. No real great weapons. If they really do beat the Ravens though, it will be b/c of both Mahomes and Reid. I just don't see that happening.

View attachment 4393
Honest NFL
@TheHonestNFL

It's not about the Xs and the Os, it's about the Jimmys and the Joes.

ETA: The one thing Andy Reid did that Sirianni needs to emulate is that he had an offensive mind so he hired DCs who were career DCs and could run the defense without any need for Reid to micro-manage (Johnson and Spagnuolo). That's why I'd be ok with a Rivera-type hire, just let them run the defense and keep them around for 5 years. The continuity will pay dividends for these guys.

Last edited:
View attachment 4393
Honest NFL
@TheHonestNFL

Right lol? Also having arguably the greatest tight end in history as well. 6 years starting, 6 AFC title game appearances. Still has his warts. This team this year looks a whole lot like the 2002-2003 Eagles. Great defense. QB winning them games. No real great weapons. If they really do beat the Ravens though, it will be b/c of both Mahomes and Reid. I just don't see that happening.
i hope not. sick of KC and cant stand mahomes. I was happy with Andys initial success at KC but am really sick of seeing them on every other tv commercial. ravens lions pls

View attachment 4393
Honest NFL
@TheHonestNFL

i hope not. sick of KC and cant stand mahomes. I was happy with Andys initial success at KC but am really sick of seeing them on every other tv commercial. ravens lions pls
Haha Andy is fine by me. But, (now kinda hijacking the thread) I have really soured on Mahomes. Kinda this year did it to me, started to really notice how much he whines. And then the whole K Toney issue when they lost b/c he was offsides, paraphrasing "You can't make that call in that moment of a game" as if he completely forgot they had just won the Super Bowl basically off an officiating call that sealed the win.

AND TONEY WAS ACTUALLY TRULY OFFSIDES! So he basically wants to not have true calls go against him and whines for all calls to be for him.

I'm out on him.

View attachment 4393
Honest NFL
@TheHonestNFL

Haha Andy is fine by me. But, (now kinda hijacking the thread) I have really soured on Mahomes. Kinda this year did it to me, started to really notice how much he whines. And then the whole K Toney issue when they lost b/c he was offsides, paraphrasing "You can't make that call in that moment of a game" as if he completely forgot they had just won the Super Bowl basically off an officiating call that sealed the win.

AND TONEY WAS ACTUALLY TRULY OFFSIDES! So he basically wants to not have true calls go against him and whines for all calls to be for him.

I'm out on him.
I did the same. After game when he was complaining to Allen is when he completely lost me. Actively rooting against him now.

As for the Andy v Nick comparisons, I'm not even going there. If you read more of this guy you see his stance of not just play calling, but the system/scheme that's whack, and the assumption is that it's Nick's system (Though I don't see how Johnson can be excused for his play calling as well. Was a team failure.)

For OC I’d take:

1. Arthur Smith- 10th in pre snap motion, seems to be willing to run the ball and uses a lot of play action. Did very well with Tennessee as OC and I think we interviewed him for a HC spot so maybe there’s interest.

No thanks on Smith. He criminally forgot to use his best players in ATL in Bijan and Pitts. It was pretty terrible. It was beyond fireable offenses. Like he should just be demoted to position coach punishment

You’re the reason why I prefaced my breakdown of coordinators with “I don’t care what they did as a HC” lol

See the top quote in here. In addition he ranked 8th and 12th in PPG while OC in Tennessee with Ryan Tannehill and Mariota as his QB’s. The teams were 9-7 and than 11-5. These were without question Tannehill’s best years at QB throwing 33 TD’s, 7 picks and completing 65% of his passes before becoming a hot HC’ing candidate. The talent here is in need of everything he brings to the table and has far more talent than he did in Tennessee, where he worked with Brown and Atlanta combined.

View attachment 4393
Honest NFL
@TheHonestNFL

I'm out on him.

For OC I’d take:

1. Arthur Smith- 10th in pre snap motion, seems to be willing to run the ball and uses a lot of play action. Did very well with Tennessee as OC and I think we interviewed him for a HC spot so maybe there’s interest.

You’re the reason why I prefaced my breakdown of coordinators with “I don’t care what they did as a HC” lol

See the top quote in here. In addition he ranked 8th and 12th in PPG while OC in Tennessee with Ryan Tannehill and Mariota as his QB’s. The teams were 9-7 and than 11-5. These were without question Tannehill’s best years at QB throwing 33 TD’s, 7 picks and completing 65% of his passes before becoming a hot HC’ing candidate. The talent here is in need of everything he brings to the table and has far more talent than he did in Tennessee, where he worked with Brown and Atlanta combined.

yeah forgot he worked with brown at TN

yeah forgot he worked with brown at TN
I think it’s pretty impressive what he got out of Tannehill as well. I’m a big fan of motion (seems to correlate with offensive success more often than not) and play action as well. Hes a failed HC and I’m not sure if he’d get purged right away as well.

yeah he brought tannehill back from the dead. im starting to warm on him a bit

View attachment 4393
Honest NFL
@TheHonestNFL

Been following it for a pretty long time at this point

Yeah as Pitts dynasty owner, would love to see Goedert get 48 targets next year...
I’ve loved Pitts even before college saw him play in HS a few times but yeah I took Pitts in my work league and thought I’d have steal. Thankfully I took Dalton Kincaid and when I finally cut bait on Pitts Schultz was there

View attachment 4393
Honest NFL
@TheHonestNFL

Yeah he’s good. Many speculate that it’s ran by Brad Childress

Texans’ QB coach Jerrod Johnson interviewed for the Eagles’ offensive coordinator job, per source.

Worked with Nick Sirianni in Indy, comes from Kyle Shanahan’s coaching tree.

View attachment 4393
Honest NFL
@TheHonestNFL

I’d rather not see the ravens at all never liked them. Harbaugh got his with Flacco. Only reason I rooted for them that year was Flacco and Bernard Pierce grew up near me and went to Temple. Their fans are so obnoxious. At least a Lions/KC sub I won’t care who wins

View attachment 4393
Honest NFL
@TheHonestNFL

I'm out on him.
They won the SB not on a bad call but because we didn’t win the turnover battle and elected to kick a FG and traded 3 for 7 the following possession. AJ Brown came out in the last year saying when they kicked the FG in the 2nd half he knew they were losing when they didn’t go for it. Sounded like the team was defeated at that point. Then our special teams decided to kick to Toney and I’m Sure Brian Johnson having been Toney’s OC in college told them don’t give him a chance. Had the Sanders fumble been held up we lose by 10 I think. Bradberry just can’t put himself in a situation in that spot

Texans’ QB coach Jerrod Johnson interviewed for the Eagles’ offensive coordinator job, per source.

Worked with Nick Sirianni in Indy, comes from Kyle Shanahan’s coaching tree.
Gotta say I'm liking the actual names of the guys they are interviewing than the first reported rumors of guys that might interview, like Frank Reich.

Need desperately to get some young(ish) guy in here with fresh(er) ideas.

cool. i like to see all the changes. some stuff really needed fixing and these guys just arent sitting around doing nothing.

The Dolphins and Vic Fangio have mutually agreed to part ways, sources tell me and @JFowlerESPN. Fangio now will be the top target for the Philadelphia Eagles to hire as their defensive coordinator, and a deal is expected. Miami is allowing Fangio to leave to be closer to his family in Pennsylvania.Fangio and the Eagles had an interest in working together in 2023, but the timing didn’t work. This time it will.

The Dolphins and Vic Fangio have mutually agreed to part ways, sources tell me and @JFowlerESPN. Fangio now will be the top target for the Philadelphia Eagles to hire as their defensive coordinator, and a deal is expected. Miami is allowing Fangio to leave to be closer to his family in Pennsylvania.Fangio and the Eagles had an interest in working together in 2023, but the timing didn’t work. This time it will.
This is fine meme

View attachment 4393
Honest NFL
@TheHonestNFL

I’d rather not see the ravens at all never liked them. Harbaugh got his with Flacco. Only reason I rooted for them that year was Flacco and Bernard Pierce grew up near me

View attachment 4393
Honest NFL
@TheHonestNFL

I’d rather not see the ravens at all never liked them. Harbaugh got his with Flacco. Only reason I rooted for them that year was Flacco and Bernard Pierce grew up near me

better not watch the next 2 games then. ravens are gonna roll

Fangio is an Eagle. HELL YES.
Super excited about this!

Fangio>>>>his disciples

i hope so. this fangio wannabe defense we have tried to run the past couple years has a been a roller coaster. and it was really bad against any decent qb we played
I’ll take the master of the scheme all day long. What he brings to the table is exactly what this defense need as we develop. And ideally, he’s not going anywhere anytime soon and will have quality coaches come with him.

And I’m pretty sure we have the stupidest media in all of sports. How someone can ask a HC what he does in 2024 while advocating for similar style HC’s, is peak Philadelphia idiocy.

The OC will run the offense and DC will run the defense literally has people confused in 2024.

If you are insistent on running a certain scheme might as well get the master of said scheme
I'm pumping the brakes on any expectations. It's been thought by some that the rest of the NFL finally caught up with the "Fangio Scheme" in 2023, Fangio is out after one uneven year in MIA, and 4 disciples of the Fangio D (DCs: Desai, Barry, Hurtt, HC: Staley) all got canned. So there might be something to that thinking.

There's a big risk we're bringing in someone that might not yet be willing to think he needs to (or can) adapt a system that has roots going back almost 40 years. We just went through a season where the offensive scheme that worked just a year prior had been figured out and coaches were too proud to see/admit it.

Fangio>>>>his disciples

i hope so. this fangio wannabe defense we have tried to run the past couple years has a been a roller coaster. and it was really bad against any decent qb we played
I’ll take the master of the scheme all day long. What he brings to the table is exactly what this defense need as we develop. And ideally, he’s not going anywhere anytime soon and will have quality coaches come with him.
This is the most important part IMO. No chance he's going to be a HC again, and his family is in Pennsylvania and he's at the point where he wants to settle down in one spot. I could see him being here for 3+ years unless he's awful

What do you like about Smith?

Users who are viewing this thread