What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike Tomlin signs a 3 year extension (1 Viewer)

My worst nightmare prior to the draft. Pickett is the only QB on the roster. I'm with 3c's that the Steeler's should be looking to better the roster. I'm hoping Dulac is putting out smoke n mirrors to potentially driving down the cost to acquire a veteran QB.

Dulac is like any ESPN person it's all about the click bait to stay relevant.
My worst nightmare is that we sign Jimmy G for a large contract and he plays 1 game decently before getting a major injury and we wasted all that cap space that could have helped elsewhere.

My worst nightmare prior to the draft. Pickett is the only QB on the roster. I'm with 3c's that the Steeler's should be looking to better the roster. I'm hoping Dulac is putting out smoke n mirrors to potentially driving down the cost to acquire a veteran QB.

My worst nightmare is that we sign Jimmy G for a large contract and he plays 1 game decently before getting a major injury and we wasted all that cap space that could have helped elsewhere.

Hey, the roster'd still be 23% more handsome. Thats worth a couple wins, right? RIGHT?!

Hey, the roster'd still be 23% more handsome. Thats worth a couple wins, right? RIGHT?!
It would certainly be a good way to get my wife to start watching the games with me.

Jimmy prefers a franchise with cheerleaders.

That plus the 2 game suspension.

Sign Jimmy G? It’s possible.

Sign Jimmy G to a big contract? They won’t do that.

Sign Jimmy G? It’s possible.

Sign Jimmy G to a big contract? They won’t do that.
If they sign him, and I have serious doubts, there would likely be language in the contract to cover games played/missed.

Jimmy prefers a franchise with cheerleaders.

Well, there're probably several 100 Milvale studda-bubbas in the stands cheering at every home game. Maybe that's enough? How do Greek dudes feel about mature Slovak chicks?

How about Serbs? Pittsburgh could drown him in a sea of Tamburitzins (theyre still a thing, right?). Folk dance and Subway BMTs in abundance in Pitty, Jimmy!

Is this correct:

Kenny P has thrown a TD pass on 1.8% of his attempts. The worst of the 391 QBs in NFL history with at least 500 attempts.
Yes and here's the link who has the lowest touchdown percentage for a qb in nfl history minimum 500 attempts

This is definitely another indicator of why the Steeler's should move on from Kenny. Is it bad of me but I keep referring to a character in South Park and how his demise occurred in various ways.
Right on. When people say Kenny is historically bad, it's not an exaggeration. He's in the running for all time worst starting QB in the NFL. The fluky smoke n mirrors wins are so misleading. Offense was not doing their part. Won despite horrific offensive production. It's shocking people out there still want to see another year with Kenny as the starter. Well, other than Browns, Bengals and Ravens fans.

During the season, I wish a reporter out there had the gonads to ask Tomlin... Put yourself into the opponent Defensive Coordinator's shoes for a minute. Is it easier to game plan stopping a KP led offense or Mason Rudolph? Follow up if he says Kenny is harder to defend... What makes it especially hard to defend Pickett who has the NFL record worst TD percentage at 1.8 per attempt in NFL history (min 500 attempts)?

My worst nightmare prior to the draft. Pickett is the only QB on the roster.
Not the scenario I expect or am pulling for but if there ever was a year.....

“It’s a really strong overall group,” Nagy says. “Teams look at it as which guys could potentially start. You’re dealing with six to eight, maybe nine potential NFL starters. There’s always a random guy out of the group that ends up being a starter. That’s a big number. That’s a really big number.”

How big? I asked Nagy that question, and suggested that, maybe, this is a once-every-five-years type of group. He went bigger: “Probably a once-a-decade kind of class.”

So who are the nine potential starters? Williams, Maye and Daniels, of course. Then, Nagy named Michigan’s J.J. McCarthy, Oregon’s Bo Nix, Washington’s Michael Penix Jr., South Carolina’s Spencer Rattler and Tulane’s Michael Pratt

Why starting a bad NFL player ruins team morale?

Copilot
In the high-stakes world of NFL football, where every play counts and team dynamics are crucial, the impact of starting a subpar player can reverberate far beyond the field. Let’s explore why this seemingly small decision can have such a significant effect on team morale:
  1. Shared Goals and Effort:
    • Imagine your team has worked tirelessly to secure a critical deal. Everyone is aligned, motivated, and ready to celebrate the victory. But then, unexpectedly, the deal falls through, and the client chooses a competitor. The disappointment is palpable, and morale takes a hit.
    • Similarly, in football, when a team invests effort, time, and energy into preparing for a game, they expect to see positive results. Starting a player who consistently underperforms can shatter that shared sense of purpose and effort. Teammates wonder why their hard work isn’t paying off.
  2. Disappointment and Toxicity:
    • Just as losing a crucial deal can deflate company morale, starting a bad player can lead to disappointment among teammates. They question the coach’s decision-making and may feel demoralized.
    • Toxicity can creep in—resentment, frustration, and doubt. Team members might think, “Why are we putting up with this? Why isn’t the coach making better choices?” This negativity affects overall team cohesion.
  3. Communication and Preparation:
  4. Team Unity and Trust:
    • A cohesive team trusts its leadership. When a coach starts a struggling player, trust erodes. Teammates wonder if the coach prioritizes politics or personal biases over team success.
    • In contrast, good leadership anticipates challenges, prepares for disruptions, and ensures that everyone is on the same page. When a team feels united and trusts its leaders, morale remains resilient.
  5. Learning from Sports Teams:
    • NFL teams strategize to minimize losses. They focus on preventing upsets by handling interference effectively.
    • Similarly, organizations can learn from sports teams. Communicate early and often, address setbacks transparently, and prioritize team unity. When interference (like a bad player) threatens morale, proactive measures make a difference.
So, whether you’re on the football field or in the corporate arena, remember that decisions impact morale. Choose wisely, communicate openly, and keep the team spirit alive!

A huge part of me feels that Mason could hitch his wagon to Sean Payton. Due to not being given a fair shot last season. When people like Hoke felt he was the best QB in preseason 2023. At the time I thought Hoke was just being wonky.

Yes, hopefully they draft a QB and if not, next year will be the Shadeur Sanders sweepstakes.

A huge part of me feels that Mason could hitch his wagon to Sean Payton. Due to not being given a fair shot last season. When people like Hoke felt he was the best QB in preseason 2023. At the time I thought Hoke was just being wonky.

Yes, hopefully they draft a QB and if not, next year will be the Shadeur Sanders sweepstakes.
speaks volumes between a SB team 49ers vs Pittsburgh handling similar QB situation.

imagine if SF stuck with Trey Lance based on draft capital alone. decent chance that loaded roster would be a playoff WC team and fall short. instead, what do they do? recognize the last pick of the draft is clearly better and actually pull the trigger to start him & trade away the draft bust for cheap. did some people get to laugh at them for blundering the Lance pick? sure, but who made it to the SB & got to overtime? respect!

Someone in Pittsburgh (Ownership/GM/Coach) needs to check their pride and flippin give Rudy the props he deserves. Quit dancing around with negotiating tactics and back Rudy. Cut Pickett if there is any locker room division & move forward. Bring in a guy like Tannehill to back up Rudy and a young/cheap development QB as #3. Assumes Tomlin doesn't get his #1 overall pick Fields via trade.

Is this correct:

Kenny P has thrown a TD pass on 1.8% of his attempts. The worst of the 391 QBs in NFL history with at least 500 attempts.
Yes and here's the link who has the lowest touchdown percentage for a qb in nfl history minimum 500 attempts

This is definitely another indicator of why the Steeler's should move on from Kenny. Is it bad of me but I keep referring to a character in South Park and how his demise occurred in various ways.
Right on. When people say Kenny is historically bad, it's not an exaggeration. He's in the running for all time worst starting QB in the NFL. The fluky smoke n mirrors wins are so misleading. Offense was not doing their part. Won despite horrific offensive production. It's shocking people out there still want to see another year with Kenny as the starter. Well, other than Browns, Bengals and Ravens fans.

During the season, I wish a reporter out there had the gonads to ask Tomlin... Put yourself into the opponent Defensive Coordinator's shoes for a minute. Is it easier to game plan stopping a KP led offense or Mason Rudolph? Follow up if he says Kenny is harder to defend... What makes it especially hard to defend Pickett who has the NFL record worst TD percentage at 1.8 per attempt in NFL history (min 500 attempts)?

I heard that Tomlin wanted to bench Kenny earlier in the season and then wanted to bench him instead of firing Canada and he was overruled. The ankle injury "saved" the season.

Pickett is an Art II situation all the way, IMO.

Reports were everywhere that Steelers scout had him the top rated qb that year...but not a 1st rounder. Enter Art, and his "not passing on Marino twice!" nonsense, and here we are.

Mason Cole released.
The Steelers seem to telegraph the direction of high draft picks with these sorts of moves. A few mocks have them linked to a couple of different centers. Checks out with this move.
If they go C high in the draft, then QB would 'likely' be addressed in FA or with lower picks in a trade if they go the trade route. I don't see them drafting another QB high in the draft.

Mason Cole released.
The Steelers seem to telegraph the direction of high draft picks with these sorts of moves. A few mocks have them linked to a couple of different centers. Checks out with this move.
If they go C high in the draft, then QB would 'likely' be addressed in FA or with lower picks in a trade if they go the trade route. I don't see them drafting another QB high in the draft.
It wouldn't shock me if they signed a C due to positional value.

Mason Cole released.
Even if they pick a C in the 1st Tomlin won't play him right away so they're going to have to sign a C or move one of the guards to the middle. Herbig could be their stopgap for a few weeks or a year.

Steelers offer sounds about in the ballpark. Bears can "want" a 1st but they're not likely to get it. They have little leverage there. A 2nd and some "other" picks sounds like the going rate.
I doubt they get a 1st, but ATL's 2nd is better than the Steelers. Do the Bears really want to deal with the Steelers after the Claypool deal? Steelers would need to kick in more, maybe one of those back to back 4ths, or something next year, and get a later pick, like Bears 5th or 6th.

Second round pick and possibly DJ or additional picks for Fields.
DJ and a 3rd for Fields maybe. No way I am going to the draft with 1 good WR, needing C, OT and iLB badly. And I would love to ship DJ out, dont get me wrong, last year of a bloated contract, hasnt lived up to expectations, but i dont think they are signing Aiyuk or anyone like that for $20M, although I guess they could if they unload his contract.
I doubt Bears want another Steeler WR tho.

Steelers offer sounds about in the ballpark. Bears can "want" a 1st but they're not likely to get it. They have little leverage there. A 2nd and some "other" picks sounds like the going rate.
I doubt they get a 1st, but ATL's 2nd is better than the Steelers. Do the Bears really want to deal with the Steelers after the Claypool deal? Steelers would need to kick in more, maybe one of those back to back 4ths, or something next year, and get a later pick, like Bears 5th or 6th.
It's not like the Steelers did anything shady in the Claypool trade. Two teams agreed to a deal and it didn't work out for one of them. That's on them and they won't be holding it against the Steelers. And sure Atl's 2nd is higher than the Steelers but not by much, 43 vs 51. All the Steelers would need to do is make the other picks (or player) better than Atl's offer. And if they're thinking about offloading Diontae that could certainly do it.

Ouch!

Ouch is right you can't tell me that prospective free agents aren't taking that into effect.

DJ and a 3rd for Fields maybe. No way I am going to the draft with 1 good WR, needing C, OT and iLB badly. And I would love to ship DJ out, dont get me wrong, last year of a bloated contract, hasnt lived up to expectations, but i dont think they are signing Aiyuk or anyone like that for $20M, although I guess they could if they unload his contract.
I tend to agree I think ATL has a better receiver to offer. If it gets down to a pick and a player.

I tend to agree I think ATL has a better receiver to offer. If it gets down to a pick and a player.
0 chance they're letting go of Drake London with a new staff coming in. The difference between any ATL "star" and Diontae is the Steelers likely are more than willing to let him go.

0 chance they're letting go of Drake London with a new staff coming in. The difference between any ATL "star" and Diontae is the Steelers likely are more than willing to let him go.

Not disagreeing with you for you always have some very valid points. But would you rather have 2 VG WR's and a so so did I say so twice QB or a potentially VG QB, 1 VG WR and get another WR in the draft or free agency. Some people tend to think that Washington could be next year's turn around team. I'm tending to think it could be ATL.

Looks like the SP is falling for the Justin Fields to the Steelers click bait too. I expect this kind of behavior from twitter. But it's disappointing to see it in the sharkpool.

Looks like the SP is falling for the Justin Fields to the Steelers click bait too. I expect this kind of behavior from twitter. But it's disappointing to see it in the sharkpool.
Well, he's better than that Pickett fence or Rudolph the red nose reindeer.

If the Steelers want Fields over Mason Rudolph, could probably flip Diontae straight up or maybe even get a little extra back. Fields is questionable to develop into a franchise QB but has talent at premier position while Diontae is going to be a starter for years for sure. Both require new contracts soon.

Definite win for Chicago getting good value back locking in Caleb with DJ squared at WR for years to come. Outside DJ Moore, Chicago is desperate for a #2 receiving option. Unfortunately for them, 2nd pick probably won't get Harrison, Nabers or Odunze all off the board. Instead of reaching for a Brian Thomas Jr, makes a ton of sense to flip Fields for a lock starting WR and use the 2nd pick on a top Corner or Edge rusher.

Win for Steelers also. Go all in on Fields taking a shot at finding their franchise QB by moving a WR who wasn't going to get a new contract in Pittsburgh after this season. Draft pick #20 this year won't net a QB anywhere near the level of Burrow or Lamar. Fields is superior to any rookie they could draft. Trade does create a huge hole at WR2 to fill in the draft. Focus on day 2 guys good at blocking with receiving chops. Someone like Ricky Pearsall comes to mind.

NFL Notifications, what is this account?
Some dude on the internet I guess. He also posted a video of Justin Fields jumping up and down cuz he's "going home", as in ATL. But it was picked up by SN so maybe the X account has some "sources". Or maybe it's just a day needing some stories.

Mason Cole released.
Everyone knew that Cole was being cut due to his nearly $5 million cap hit.

Given bears gm poles said something like they want to do right by fields leads you to believe they are trying to make a deal with Atlanta.

It's going to be a real s show unless Kenny all of a sudden turns into Peyton Manning. And if Mason stays it's gonna be a mess.

It's going to be a real s show unless Kenny all of a sudden turns into Peyton Manning. And if Mason stays it's gonna be a mess.

I’m in the Mason camp. Last year with the wins, stats, way the team responded and my eyes think it’s an easy decision.

But we all know if Mason is on the team, KP will start at least the first 4-8 games to have a chance to prove himself.

I’m in the Mason camp. Last year with the wins, stats, way the team responded and my eyes think it’s an easy decision.

But we all know if Mason is on the team, KP will start at least the first 4-8 games to have a chance to prove himself.
With you on Mason Rudolph train but disagree on Kenny being given the job again this season. Pickett is the worst starting QB in Steelers history. There will be a QB competition in camp to find out if he can hang on to the backup role.

With you on Mason Rudolph train but disagree on Kenny being given the job again this season. Pickett is the worst starting QB in Steelers history. There will be a QB competition in camp to find out if he can hang on to the backup role.

I hope you’re right. I’ll believe it when I see it though.

What I meant by "a mess" if Mason stays is just what you alluded to, being in Mason's camp. A lot of fans will be, as well as many of the players. So there will be a divide amongst many as to who should start, and I don't believe Mason will be given a legit shot to win the job unless he's clearly better in camp by a large margin. So it'll be a mess if he stays. If he goes and the Steelers bring in some tier 5 backup like Tannehill, away goes the mess. I hope Mason goes to another team...that first Tomlin losing season comes; burn it all down and start over. But maybe Kenny can overachieve and get to 8 TD passes this coming season. :D

Users who are viewing this thread