What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike Tomlin signs a 3 year extension (4 Viewers)

I’m honestly not opposed to bringing in Sam Darnold to compete for the job.

But I was also on board with bringing on Trubisky a few years ago… and Darnold’s situation doesn’t appear much different… so my opinion on the matter may be equally flawed.

Keep an eye on Ben Sinnott, TE Kansas State as a day 3 pick. Steelers did meet with a bunch of TE at the combine and this kid is probably the best of the bunch playing a versatile role. H back, Full back, inline TE with solid route running and hands. Team is going to play more 2-3 TE sets and a do-it-all Sinnott fits the mold perfectly.

DJ and a day 2 pick for fields would be ok by me.

Speculation that Atlanta will not be the destination.

“There’s been a lot of speculation on Atlanta,” Schefter reported Saturday on SportsCenter, per Nick Kosko of On3. “I think Atlanta will be something of a surprise right now to trade for Justin Fields. There’s been some conversation about the Pittsburgh Steelers, maybe something can be figured out there.”

“There’s been a lot of speculation on Atlanta,” Schefter reported Saturday on SportsCenter, per Nick Kosko of On3. “I think Atlanta will be something of a surprise right now to trade for Justin Fields. There’s been some conversation about the Pittsburgh Steelers, maybe something can be figured out there.”
I am starting to think Pittsburgh is not really in the discussion with the GM coming out in support of Pickett.. I think they sign a vet and start Kenny for a year.

They are bidding against themselves. I want Fields, but that is way too much. A 2nd round pick should get it done

They are bidding against themselves. I want Fields, but that is way too much. A 2nd round pick should get it done
I'm just talking about dumping DJ and his salary and his impending "hold in" for another contract.

A failed first round QB who has 30 INTs and 38 fumbles in 40 career games isn't worth a top 60 pick.

If the Steelers do trade for him, I can't see Khan giving in. It'll happen more from there not really being a market for Fields and the Bears getting what they can for him.

38 fumbles. Stats say what you want them to say. He has 12 lost fumbles. And some fumbles are QB/RB exchange or center/QB exchange. Some are "fumbles" while going out of bounds. 38 fumbles (36 actually) is just a stat for people to use as a detractor.

Maybe you like Fields to the Steelers and maybe you don’t. I happen to like it.

But regardless of how you feel about Fields if they acquire him, doesn’t it make the offseason and hopefully the regular season more exciting?

Maybe you like Fields to the Steelers and maybe you don’t. I happen to like it.

But regardless of how you feel about Fields if they acquire him, doesn’t it make the offseason and hopefully the regular season more exciting?
If they do nothing at QB or pick up some 6th tier reject like tannehill it'll be a little disappointing, but it's what I expect to happen. Then we'll just have to hope the lightbulb comes on for Kenny.

They ARE going after Fields. They ARE NOT going after Fields. Love this time of year. :ROFLMAO:

Report: Steelers Not Interested In Justin Fields, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins - Steelers Depot

Leads to https://theathletic.com/5311894/2024/03/04/steelers-nfl-combine-fields-wilson-pickett/

The article does slightly contradict itself in quoting Khan as saying they will (try to) do something at qb either by draft, free agency, or trade.

“There’s different avenues for us,” Khan said. “Draft. Free agency. The trade market. I would say every one of those avenues is an option for us.

“We’re looking at everything. I have an obligation to this organization, to the players, to the front office, to every member of the Steeler Nation to look at every option and every way of trying to improve this team. And we’re going to do so.”

To me, doing nothing/keeping the status quo is not improving the team.

Post-combine it feels like the potential options in the 1st and 2nd have widened further. JPJ is no longer the lock if he's available at 20. Centers appear to be falling down mocks since the top 2 didn't do drills at the combine.

The most common mock I've seen to the Steelers since the Combine is corner, usually Nate Wiggins.

Where is the tier cutoff in the 1st round? Feels like there's a top 10 tier, then a 2nd tier from 10 - 22 (using consensus big board). I initially thought maybe we'd trade down and try to get some extra picks, but looking at the tiers it does seem to make sense to sit tight and go BPA with how many needs we have.
Mims kicks off the next tier at 23 and I would not be excited if he was our pick at 20. He has such a short track record and gets hurt often, he couldn't make it through the combine healthy either.

Post-combine it feels like the potential options in the 1st and 2nd have widened further. JPJ is no longer the lock if he's available at 20. Centers appear to be falling down mocks since the top 2 didn't do drills at the combine.

The most common mock I've seen to the Steelers since the Combine is corner, usually Nate Wiggins.

Where is the tier cutoff in the 1st round? Feels like there's a top 10 tier, then a 2nd tier from 10 - 22 (using consensus big board). I initially thought maybe we'd trade down and try to get some extra picks, but looking at the tiers it does seem to make sense to sit tight and go BPA with how many needs we have.
Mims kicks off the next tier at 23 and I would not be excited if he was our pick at 20. He has such a short track record and gets hurt often, he couldn't make it through the combine healthy either.
Wiggins got hurt during the combine, though nothing serious. At CB I really like the guy from Toledo (Mitchell). He's gonna be a star.

Draft a RT (Guyton), sign a C in free agency and boom your line is finally solid.

Mason has hung around all this time. Idk how, you tell me. He has waited and waited and waited. But he kept learning and improving. As luck would have it, he gets another chance somehow; wherein he gets the offense running better than it has in 2 years.

This kid has shown a lot of grit besides being the best Steelers quarterback this decade who hasnt raped anybody. What kind of a person doesnt want him to have another shot at it. He's earned it. I'm going to be mad if he gets passed by. Where's the justice in that?

Mason has hung around all this time. Idk how, you tell me. He has waited and waited and waited. But he kept learning and improving. As luck would have it, he gets another chance somehow; wherein he gets the offense running better than it has in 2 years.

This kid has shown a lot of grit besides being the best Steelers quarterback this decade who hasnt raped anybody. What kind of a person doesnt want him to have another shot at it. He's earned it. I'm going to be mad if he gets passed by. Where's the justice in that?
Interesting that steelers IG is still posting pictures of him, even though he is a free agent.

Interesting that steelers IG is still posting pictures of him, even though he is a free agent.
Technically not a free agent yet since the period starts on the 13th. Maybe they think posting pictures of him on IG will make him feel wanted. :D

They ARE going after Fields. They ARE NOT going after Fields. Love this time of year
I don't think they've shown any interest in Fields. Maybe Shefter said they were one of the teams but I think Shefter and anyone else bringing up Fields is connecting dots on teams that need a QB, not from actual sources saying they are interested. I listed to Dianna Russini's podcast about this a few days ago and she said she went hard at the combine trying to sniff out the Steeelers(and other teams) interest in Fields and she was getting the vibe the Steeler's were not at all trying to pursue him.

Now if they can't sign Mason then maybe that changes but I think that's their goal, like they are saying, not everything is a lie this time of year.

They ARE going after Fields. They ARE NOT going after Fields. Love this time of year
I don't think they've shown any interest in Fields. Maybe Shefter said they were one of the teams but I think Shefter and anyone else bringing up Fields is connecting dots on teams that need a QB, not from actual sources saying they are interested. I listed to Dianna Russini's podcast about this a few days ago and she said she went hard at the combine trying to sniff out the Steeelers(and other teams) interest in Fields and she was getting the vibe the Steeler's were not at all trying to pursue him.

Now if they can't sign Mason then maybe that changes but I think that's their goal, like they are saying, not everything is a lie this time of year.
:heart:me some Dianna cuz she looks like someone I used to know, but I'd trust Schefter more on inside info. But it certainly could be true that he's going with teams who need a qb and connecting dots, and he's saying it's more likely the Steelers trade for Fields than the Falcons. And it could be that neither team trades for him. I would not be shocked if the Steelers have pursued Fields though. Khan has been tight lipped about specifics but has said he'll pursue all possibilities. And if the news about the Falcons preferring Cousins is true the Steelers might not have a lot of competition for the trade.

I'm just laughing at the back and forth. As seen on Twitter:
The #Steelers are or aren't actively trying to trade for Justin Fields. It all depends on how much I scroll through Twitter.

If they do nothing at QB or pick up some 6th tier reject like tannehill it'll be a little disappointing, but it's what I expect to happen. Then we'll just have to hope the lightbulb comes on for Kenny.

This has always been the most likely scenario (and Rudolph counts as "some 6th tier retread" in my book too).

They're likely not going to do anything "significant" until 2025, let Picket and some jobber "battle" in camp to start in '24, they'll improve on offense some (just because of eliminating Canada) and will scuffle along to another 9-10 win season with a WC loss to show for it.

Unless the Bears were willing to give away Fields "for free", I guess. I don't care what any talking head/"insider"/et al say...we saw Mike Tomlin bromance Justin Fields with our own eyes in real time during the run up to his draft. I'm certain he'll never admit it, but he clearly coveted him at the time, and I doubt that's worn off. Khan isn't going to give up a 1 or 2 for him though, not when that would basically mean extending him/picking up his option before he played a singled down, just to justify the cost to acquire.

Wiggins got hurt during the combine, though nothing serious. At CB I really like the guy from Toledo (Mitchell). He's gonna be a star.

Draft a RT (Guyton), sign a C in free agency and boom your line is finally solid.
Everything I've seen indicates the Toledo CB will be gone before 20.

It feels like we're going WR with 1 of our top 3 picks, probably top 2. Steelers met with Rome at the combine, but I think the only way we get him is if something weird causes him to fall. Right now we'd have to give up a future 1st to move high enough to grab him and I don't see that happening.

It feels like we're going WR with 1 of our top 3 picks, probably top 2. Steelers met with Rome at the combine, but I think the only way we get him is if something weird causes him to fall. Right now we'd have to give up a future 1st to move high enough to grab him and I don't see that happening.

That what’s I am hearing. With DJ moved to an nfc team.

They like Fields, but for a 3 or 4 basically. They almost traded up for him in the draft, had he fallen to the Chargers.

Posted on the score today FWIW. Smells like 2 of 3 out of Mason, Tannehill, and a rookie.

“The Pittsburgh Steelers aren't planning to take a big swing at quarterback this offseason.

The Steelers won't pursue Kirk Cousins or Baker Mayfield in free agency, sources Mike DeFabo of The Athletic, who adds Pittsburgh also isn't interested in signing Russell Wilson upon his expected release from the Denver Broncos.

Additionally, the Steelers aren't among the teams working to acquire Justin Fields in a trade from the Chicago Bears, sources told The Athletic's Dianna Russini. Fields should be made available with the Bears expected to draft a quarterback at No. 1.”

ladd in the second would be okay by me.
With his 40 time it will be shocking if he falls below pick 45. I'd be willing to trade up to grab Ladd in the early/mid 2nd. He's just always open when you need a play.

Also, after watching the senior bowl I have 0 interest in Tez Walker. He's a walking dropped pass.

At this point I don't care what any of the "insiders" say cuz it all noise until a trade is made or the season starts. It's just funny how it shifts from day to day. Falcons have a deal in place. Falcons don't want him. Steelers are in talks. Steelers are standing pat. All noise...
The funny part to me is how much it gets a rise out of people. I want to know why are sports fans even interested in reading the tabloids. Boredom? At least trout season starts soon in Pennsylvania.

At this point I don't care what any of the "insiders" say cuz it all noise until a trade is made or the season starts. It's just funny how it shifts from day to day. Falcons have a deal in place. Falcons don't want him. Steelers are in talks. Steelers are standing pat. All noise...
The funny part to me is how much it gets a rise out of people. I want to know why are sports fans even interested in reading the tabloids. Boredom? At least trout season starts soon in Pennsylvania.
The Phillies are getting Mike trout?!?!!

Sure as hell wouldn't be the Pirates.

Sure as hell wouldn't be the Pirates.

Theyre gonna bring in Tim Salmon and Kevin Bass instead.

I heard on the radio today that Russell Wilson insisted on his own office in Denver. That was one of several things that led to his teammates there not “liking him”.

I have no idea how common an office is for an active NFL player.

Some reporting Wilson planning to meet with Steelers in next few days, before FA opens.
Nooooooo
I don't mind it assuming he comes on a cheap deal and how they handle the starting role. Tomlin has handled worse egos.
This is how I've felt for some time. Welcome addition for me if the price is cheap.
Price is as cheap as they come. Would be league minimum $1.21 mil wherever he signs. Denver will pay his guarantee something like $39 million minus whatever the next team picks up. Speculate Russ will sign wherever he has the best shot at being the starter. If no one wants him as a starter, can slide to becoming one of the highest paid backups in NFL history.

linkage

Russell Wilson signed a 5 year, $242,588,236 contract with the Denver Broncos, including a $50,000,000 signing bonus, $161,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $48,517,647. In 2024, Wilson will earn a base salary of $17,000,000 and a signing bonus of $22,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $35,400,000 and a dead cap value of $85,000,000.
Contract Notes:
  • $124M fully guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2022 salary/roster bonus + 2023 salary/option bonus + 2024 salary/option bonus)
  • $37M 2025 salary fully guarantees 3/17/2024 (injury guaranteed at sign)
  • $4M of 2026 salary guaranteed for injury only
  • 2023 Option Bonus: $20M (guaranteed, must be exercised 3/15/23 - 3/19/23)
  • 2024 Option Bonus: $22M (guaranteed, due 3/17/2024)
  • 2027 Roster Bonus: $1M (5th league day of 2027

There's no doubt he's better than what they have, and hopefully his ego got checked a little from all of this. I'm sure he's going to want to go out and show everyone he's still got it. I'd take him at the low low price of $1M and see how things go.

Other thing this could be is Steelers using this news as leverage in the Fields negotiations, if they are actually talking to the Bears of course.

Users who are viewing this thread