What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike Tomlin signs a 3 year extension (7 Viewers)

Some reporting Wilson planning to meet with Steelers in next few days, before FA opens.
Nooooooo
I don't mind it assuming he comes on a cheap deal and how they handle the starting role. Tomlin has handled worse egos.
This is how I've felt for some time. Welcome addition for me if the price is cheap.
Price is as cheap as they come. Would be league minimum $1.21 mil wherever he signs. Denver will pay his guarantee something like $39 million minus whatever the next team picks up. Speculate Russ will sign wherever he has the best shot at being the starter. If no one wants him as a starter, can slide to becoming one of the highest paid backups in NFL history.

linkage

Russell Wilson signed a 5 year, $242,588,236 contract with the Denver Broncos, including a $50,000,000 signing bonus, $161,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $48,517,647. In 2024, Wilson will earn a base salary of $17,000,000 and a signing bonus of $22,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $35,400,000 and a dead cap value of $85,000,000.
Contract Notes:
  • $124M fully guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2022 salary/roster bonus + 2023 salary/option bonus + 2024 salary/option bonus)
  • $37M 2025 salary fully guarantees 3/17/2024 (injury guaranteed at sign)
  • $4M of 2026 salary guaranteed for injury only
  • 2023 Option Bonus: $20M (guaranteed, must be exercised 3/15/23 - 3/19/23)
  • 2024 Option Bonus: $22M (guaranteed, due 3/17/2024)
  • 2027 Roster Bonus: $1M (5th league day of 2027
This is why I've been saying he'd be cheap and was debating that with someone in this thread what feels like months ago but was probably a few weeks ago that I thought he'd actually be cheaper then Rudolph.

But there is a potential fly in the ointment on all of this and it's something I've tried to get answered to no avail which is that it's possible he makes a condition of accepting the league minimum that money is guaranteed to him in future seasons. As far as I know that money would not come off what the Broncos owe him.

Some reporting Wilson planning to meet with Steelers in next few days, before FA opens.
Nooooooo
I don't mind it assuming he comes on a cheap deal and how they handle the starting role. Tomlin has handled worse egos.
This is how I've felt for some time. Welcome addition for me if the price is cheap.
Price is as cheap as they come. Would be league minimum $1.21 mil wherever he signs. Denver will pay his guarantee something like $39 million minus whatever the next team picks up. Speculate Russ will sign wherever he has the best shot at being the starter. If no one wants him as a starter, can slide to becoming one of the highest paid backups in NFL history.

linkage

Russell Wilson signed a 5 year, $242,588,236 contract with the Denver Broncos, including a $50,000,000 signing bonus, $161,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $48,517,647. In 2024, Wilson will earn a base salary of $17,000,000 and a signing bonus of $22,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $35,400,000 and a dead cap value of $85,000,000.
Contract Notes:
  • $124M fully guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2022 salary/roster bonus + 2023 salary/option bonus + 2024 salary/option bonus)
This is why I've been saying he'd be cheap and was debating that with someone in this thread what feels like months ago but was probably a few weeks ago that I thought he'd actually be cheaper then Rudolph.

But there is a potential fly in the ointment on all of this and it's something I've tried to get answered to no avail which is that it's possible he makes a condition of accepting the league minimum that money is guaranteed to him in future seasons. As far as I know that money would not come off what the Broncos owe him.
There's not a team in the league that would accept those terms.

Nooooooo

linkage

Contract Notes:

I find it harder to disagree more. Wilson's worth more then the league minimum, you saying that is saying that's all he's worth.

Denver is paying Wilson's salary guaranteed yet clearly feels the team is better without Russ in the facility. That speaks volumes. Learned why Seattle didn't resign him.

With those red flags, no team is going to offer more than the minimum. It'd be like some team signing Deshaun Watson for the highest guaranteed contract while sending 3 1st round picks and more to a team that publicly stated he will never start for them again... oh wait... nevermind. I guess it could happen.

Denver is paying Wilson's salary guaranteed yet clearly feels the team is better without Russ in the facility. That speaks volumes. Learned why Seattle didn't resign him.

With those red flags, no team is going to offer more than the minimum. It'd be like some team signing Deshaun Watson for the highest guaranteed contract while sending 3 1st round picks and more to a team that publicly stated he will never start for them again... oh wait... nevermind. I guess it could happen.
That's not really an accurate picture. At all.

They cut Wilson because if they kept him on the roster a few more days it would have triggered guaranteeing his 2025 salary. That's wildly different then what you are portraying.

Nooooooo

linkage

Contract Notes:

I find it harder to disagree more. Wilson's worth more then the league minimum, you saying that is saying that's all he's worth.
I think I misunderstood. I was thinking that he'd demand the $$ left on his contract. No team would do that. I do agree that he's worth significantly more that the vet minimum in future years.

Russ heading to Pittsburgh for a meeting today apparently.

I would think signing him for 1-2 years spells the end of KP and that they would be looking to draft another QB this or next year, to take the reigns from Russ. I would also expect them to sign a few vets to start the next 2 years as well, and make a real SB run while Watt and Fitz are in their primes and Cam still on the roster.

Wilson supposedly in Pittsburgh today. Personally I don't think it he is a great fit because he likely wants to start and not sure how that will work with Pickett but if he comes cheaper than Rudolph then I guess I am okay with it.

Personally I don't think it he is a great fit because he likely wants to start and not sure how that will work with Pickett.

Make no mistake....Russ isnt signing somewhere he isnt starting. If he winds up in Pittsburgh, then he's been promised he'll start. IMO, of course.

Even as faded as he is on the field, he is objectively better than Pickett or Rudolph. Off the field? Ehhhh, what day is it? I have been a Russ fan for years. Dude is...well let's just say "wired different."

If properly motivated, he could still have a year or two of "let Russ cook" left in him, but that's sort of the rub. What motivates him today may not be what motivates him in a week, or a month, or tomorrow.

Last edited:
Steelers release CB Patrick Peterson. With a $9 million cap hit, no surprise, could be back at a reduced salary.
When are they releasing Allen Robinson? Thats a lot of money too.

I think they will restructure him. Especially if DJ is getting traded.

With all of the cap moves, I am expecting some vets getting signed next week on the Oline and secondary.

Steelers release CB Patrick Peterson. With a $9 million cap hit, no surprise, could be back at a reduced salary.
When are they releasing Allen Robinson? Thats a lot of money too.

I think they will restructure him. Especially if DJ is getting traded.

With all of the cap moves, I am expecting some vets getting signed next week on the Oline and secondary.
DJ isnt getting traded.

I think everything the steelers have done and are doing this weekend is smoke. The real wheeling and dealing is not making it out of their facilities to the media.

Allen Robinson released.

Steelers released WR Allen Robinson.

It’s been a forgettable few years for Robinson, who has managed just 105 receptions for 1,029 yards and four touchdowns over his last three seasons. The move saves the Steelers $10 million of cap space, as Allen is now once again looking for a new home for the third consecutive season. Set to turn 31 in late August, Robinson spent the prime years of his career trying to make the most of having Blake Bortles and Mitch Trubisky at quarterback. He caught 34 passes for 280 scoreless yards last season and appears to be heading into the twilight years of his career.

I heard a few weeks ago that he is basically gone.

Who in their right mind would want him?

Potentially Cowboys.

Every team in the league

Are the Pirates the closest team in Pittsburgh right now in terms of competing?

Penguins are old and with trading all their picks and prospects to get older are almost in need of a total rebuild.

Steelers may not be that far behind, I am not sure they are as close as people think. They still need a lot.

Pirates may not be great, but they have a decent farm system and some studs coming up.

The pirates will be out of the race by the all star break as usual. Pens are in rebuild mode. Steelers are a few pieces (not far) from at least being able to win a playoff game.

Pirates may not be great, but they have a decent farm system and some studs coming up.

How many times have we heard this particular chestnut before over the past 25 to 30 years? It truly is evergreen.

This time, for sure!

The Steelers, even with recent questionable input/decisions by Art II, are not even approaching the same galaxy of ineptitude as the Pirates.

How many times have we heard this particular chestnut before over the past 25 to 30 years? It truly is evergreen.

This time, for sure!

The Steelers, even with recent questionable input/decisions by Art II, are not even approaching the same galaxy of ineptitude as the Pirates.
I hope Termarr Johnson and Jared Jones turn into something. I have them on my dynasty team.

The Pirates play in a sport with no salary cap and have an owner who simply wants to make money. They will never be competitive until ownership changes. The Steelers are easily in the best shape.

So much for "football justice for Kenny", I guess? No way is Russ signing without a guarantee he starts, imo, even at the low base (since I assume there will be incentives.

1.2 million. 🤣 Giant bird flip to Denver, that.

So much for "football justice for Kenny", I guess? No way is Russ signing without a guarantee he starts, imo, even at the low base (since I assume there will be incentives.

Pickett will be the starter by week 5

I doubt there will be incentives. Every dollar he makes with the Steelers is one less dollar that Denver has to pay. He wants to stick it to Denver as much as possible.

I doubt there will be incentives. Every dollar he makes with the Steelers is one less dollar that Denver has to pay. He wants to stick it to Denver as much as possible.
Well if he wants to stick it to Denver. Steelers play in Denver this season.

I dont see why Rudolph would want to put himself back in this situation.

He isnt what he used to be, but Russ is still objectively better than either Pickett or Rudolph on the field from a "playing NFL QB" standpoint.

Locker room? No idea. I dont play with any of them, and Wilson is absolutely wired different, so who knows really?

I dont expect he makes them a 14 win team...but he could maaaybe get them to 11-12(and has actually won a playoff game) if he takes to Artie's dinosaur offense. I am quite confident that Pickett wont get them past 9 or 10 wins (nor would Rudolph). Will Russ? Probably not either...but there is at least a micron of a chance that "let Russ cook" works for a year in a "hand me that thing/PA pass" offense.

I dont love it, but he cost basically nothing to take a shot on. I certainly dont hate it either.

Last edited:
I’m surprised he would sign a one year deal (for anyone). Price is right for the Steelers. I like this move.

I bet Russ gets a 2-TD game to open the season.
Have to assume he got a promise to start.

Verbiage on contract/incentives should be an interesting read, if nothing else.

Hope they still sign Rudy. Don’t think they want to draft a QB this year.

They may not want to, but when you're in the situation they are....you have to draft qbs until you find "your guy."

That doesnt mean burning your 1st repeatedly, necessarily, but drafting another young guy on Day 2-3 if the value is there can't (or at least shouldnt) be off the table.

Users who are viewing this thread