What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike Tomlin signs a 3 year extension (1 Viewer)

But, why cant Roman Wilson be a good WR2? He's 6' and is quick as a hiccup. Is it because he was on a running team in college?
No on Michael Thomas, waste of time and money.
I kinda like Pickens, Wilson and Austin in the slot. Speed, speed and more speed. Friermuth can hook up underneath and Najee and Warren can catch it out of the backfield.
With a QB, Pickens can put up top 10 WR numbers.
IDK what the big deal is all about. Steelers are set.
I think he can be as good as Diontae, or better. The main issue is WR3, but it might not matter as much for our offense unless Roman or George gets hurt. Smith likes to use TEs a lot, and I assume our offense will funnel through the RB.

Roman couldn't beat outside press coverage in College, so thinking he can in the NFL is something I wouldn't want to wager on.

He's a speed slot WR who lives off free releases. That's where he should be utilized.

But, why cant Roman Wilson be a good WR2? He's 6' and is quick as a hiccup. Is it because he was on a running team in college?
I kinda like Pickens, Wilson and Austin in the slot. Speed, speed and more speed. Friermuth can hook up underneath and Najee and Warren can catch it out of the backfield.
I am still thinking Austin gets cut.. They are probably going with 6 WR.. Pickens, Jefferson, Watkins, Miller, and Wilson will probably be it and they will grab someone else.

I want to see Wilson a bit before I say he is going to be the 2.. I still have Limas Sweet flash backs
0 01% chance Austin gets cut. Not going to happen

I am still thinking Austin gets cut.. They are probably going with 6 WR.. Pickens, Jefferson, Watkins, Miller, and Wilson will probably be it and they will grab someone else.

I want to see Wilson a bit before I say he is going to be the 2.. I still have Limas Sweet flash backs
We will see.. By all accounts he is struggling picking up the play book and not the guy they thought he be when the drafted him.
There not keeping every WR and I just don't see them cutting FA they signed, just not there way.

There is also talk the Steelers are going to pickup a WR or 2 before the start of the season. A trade for someone like Alec Pierce or something like that is possible. I just can't see them going into the season with Van Jefferson as their #2

We will see.. By all accounts he is struggling picking up the play book and not the guy they thought he be when the drafted him.
There not keeping every WR and I just don't see them cutting FA they signed, just not there way.
They sign and release FAs all the time. What they don't do is release a 4th round pick who lost a season to injury and then showed some flashes in what was essentially his rookie season. None of the WR signings this off-season are better than him.

He has never shown the ability to won at the line or beat man coverage. There is no evidence he can be a WR2

I think he can be as good as Diontae, or better. The main issue is WR3, but it might not matter as much for our offense unless Roman or George gets hurt. Smith likes to use TEs a lot, and I assume our offense will funnel through the RB.
That is just a ridiculous statement Johnson was the best in the entire league at generating separation. Wilson has shown nothing of this

https://x.com/chrisburgh/status/1784212015793242118

Roman Wilson — The PFF big board pegged Wilson as an early second-rounder. He is an effortless separator with great hands, as evidenced by his one drop on 67 targets and 90th-percentile separation percentage. He easily slots in as a replacement for Diontae Johnson to create explosive plays downfield.

Last edited:
That is just a ridiculous statement Johnson was the best in the entire league at generating separation. Wilson has shown nothing of this
680 yards, 923 yards, 1161 yards, 882 yards, 717 yards. I don't care how well Diontae did at separating, and I know that bad OC and QB played a big part, but I think Wilson can reproduce Diontae's production.

If he can't get 800 yards a year he's a failure of a 2nd round pick imo.

680 yards, 923 yards, 1161 yards, 882 yards, 717 yards. I don't care how well Diontae did at separating, and I know that bad OC and QB played a big part, but I think Wilson can reproduce Diontae's production.

3rd round but yeah. (2nd round worthy imo)

Dionte was a very good route runner but no one would mistake him for a guy you have to put 2 guys on or try to scheme against. He was never a big threat and his price tag and attitude got him a ticket out.

FBG has him at 500 yards and 3 tuddies. most optimistic 560.

not surprised most everyone will look at PIT passing offense and sick up a bit in their mouths searching for fantasy production.
  • new OC who couldn't get good fantasy numbers from Bijan, London and Pitts
  • OLine isn't very good with 2 rookies coming onboard... both LT and RT starters have much to improve in pass pro
  • Bijan > Najee & Warren; Pitts > Freiermuth;
  • Russ & Fields >>> Kenny & 2023 ATL QBs. However Russ & Fields are still considered middle of the pack. Far shy of Mahomes.
  • Russ & Fields are amongst the slowest getting rid of the ball in the league behind a leaky OLine
  • Also possible Steelers bring in another WR2 leaving Roman primarily WR 3 in the slot on a run heavy offense

Bijan faded in the second half of the season. I was very high on him. Personally I rate Najee and warren greater than Bijan. Bijan may have more talent. This year will be interesting for all 3.

Steelers offensive line I'm pretty high on. I expect both the running game and passing game to be better as a result.

Yes Russ and Justin don't have the TB approach of getting rid of the ball.

Every team in the NFL other than KC has a far shy of Patrick Mahomes syndrome.

Steelers schedule is brutal and that definitely will take a tool. Pittsburgh won't get lucky again playing against so many backup QBs like they did last year.

Bijan faded in the second half of the season. I was very high on him. Personally I rate Najee and warren greater than Bijan. Bijan may have more talent. This year will be interesting for all 3.

Steelers offensive line I'm pretty high on. I expect both the running game and passing game to be better as a result.

Yes Russ and Justin don't have the TB approach of getting rid of the ball.

Every team in the NFL other than KC has a far shy of Patrick Mahomes syndrome.

Steelers schedule is brutal and that definitely will take a tool. Pittsburgh won't get lucky again playing against so many backup QBs like they did last year.
post wasn’t my take. highlighting what most FF forecasters will likely see when making projections. Hitching your wagon to Steelers offense is a tough sell right now.

Perfect example Best ball 12 team drafts with 18 rounds, people are bullish on Atlanta and pessimistic on the Steelers.

I find it interesting both teams struggled to score in 2023, are revamping their offenses and upgraded QB. But somehow 2024 Atlanta has the #2 RB and top 10 WR and TE. Steelers counterparts.. not so much.

Bijan mid round 1
London early 2nd
Pitts round 5
Cousins 14

Najee/Warren 7th or end of round 6
Pickens round 4
Freiermuth round 13
Russ and Fields rounds 17/18 and often not picked at all.

Personally, I think the FF community is too high on the shiny new Falcons and underestimates how good the Steelers will be. Could easily see the Steelers out produce their ATL counterparts other than Bijan. Captain check down is going to feed him. Najee would have to become the bell cow again to have a shot. Najee+Warren is money.

Last edited:
That Justin Jefferson deal will make it difficult for us to get any WR I think. If that is the market for Aiyuk, we cannot make that trade now. I think best bet is Michael Thomas being healthy and signing for cheap or JuJu getting cut (he could be a nice fit in this system I think).

That Justin Jefferson deal will make it difficult for us to get any WR I think. If that is the market for Aiyuk, we cannot make that trade now. I think best bet is Michael Thomas being healthy and signing for cheap or JuJu getting cut (he could be a nice fit in this system I think).
I'm not sure it takes any WR off the table. Aiyuk won't get more than JJ. Also, it depends on how JJ's contract is laid out. Tyreek got that massive deal a few years ago, but the final year was never going to happen at $45 million.

If we want a top 10 WR, they're going to cost $30+ million per year, and right now we can afford that over the next few years depending on who we re-sign that's currently on our roster.

I don't know that it's a good idea to pay Aiyuk $30+ million, but it could happen.

I'm not sure it takes any WR off the table. Aiyuk won't get more than JJ. Also, it depends on how JJ's contract is laid out. Tyreek got that massive deal a few years ago, but the final year was never going to happen at $45 million.

If we want a top 10 WR, they're going to cost $30+ million per year, and right now we can afford that over the next few years depending on who we re-sign that's currently on our roster.

I don't know that it's a good idea to pay Aiyuk $30+ million, but it could happen.

It has $110MM guaranteed though. It just raises everyone up. Going to be interesting.

Why would we drop $30M and considerable draft capital on a WR when:

a) We don't have a QB on the roster in 2025

and

b) Neither Wilson nor Fields are the new franchise guy for the Steelers. They're stop-gaps at best.

If and when we find the next QB in the draft, okay, then I can justify making moves to surround them with talented pieces. But giving up 2025 draft capital and $30M a year on Aiyuk, just seems to be a move to secure 9-8 or 10-7 and to avoid the precious losing season that we actually need to complete the rebuild.

Last edited:

and

b) Neither Wilson nor Fields are the new franchise guy for the Steelers. They're stop-gaps at best.

If and when we find the next QB in the draft, okay, then I can justify making moves to surround them with talented pieces. But giving up 2025 draft capital and $30M a year on Aiyuk, just seems to be a move to secure 9-8 or 10-7 and to avoid the previous losing season that we actually need to complete the rebuild.

And also:

c) Arthur Smith has shown he prioritizes 1 WR in his offense and every other WR is much more of a role player.

So if we get an Aiyuk is Athur going to change to focus on him and Pickens or is Pickens going to be a distant 2nd?

I don’t believe we will get a high impact WR like Aiyuk for now.

and

If and when we find the next QB in the draft, okay, then I can justify making moves to surround them with talented pieces. But giving up 2025 draft capital and $30M a year on Aiyuk, just seems to be a move to secure 9-8 or 10-7 and to avoid the previous losing season that we actually need to complete the rebuild.
Why? It seems obvious to me. Franchise QB bone is up for grabs and two dawgs are going to do everything in their power to earn it.

a) Because there is a 99.99% chance Aiyuk will elevate the offense more than signing a QB through 2025. To your point, we could still extend Fields and offer a nice signing bonus. That might be plan B for a chunk of the cap money if we don't get an elite WR. I don't know if we can extend Russ this offseason without messing up the current contract where Denver is paying most of the 39 mill this season.

b) Taking Wilson and Fields off the table, who do you want the Steelers to trade for and pay to be a franchise QB? Giants might part with Danny Dimes, but I don't think he's the answer. Dak Prescott? Save the draft pick we'd spend on Aiyuk as ammo to move up from 20s to get the 3rd/4th/5th best QB in 2025? Kenny 2.0.... pass.

c) Ain't no way anyone in the organization views a 9-10 win season and maybe lose a wildcard playoff game as satisfactory. Gotta win it for Cam, TJ, Minkah and that Steellar D before it's too late. Tried it your way with the Kenny disaster. Rolling with a SB winning QB and trying to get him an elite WR paired with Pickens sounds like a FANTASTIC idea to me.

:towelwave:

and

If and when we find the next QB in the draft, okay, then I can justify making moves to surround them with talented pieces. But giving up 2025 draft capital and $30M a year on Aiyuk, just seems to be a move to secure 9-8 or 10-7 and to avoid the precious losing season that we actually need to complete the rebuild.
A handful of reasons:
  • WRs aren't going to get cheaper
  • Aiyuk is a top 10 WR (could be system or teammates though)
  • He's a perfect scheme fit for Arthur Smith
  • The key to success for teams has been Solid O-line, Good D, Star WR, find QB with QB being the final piece that sometimes works out and sometimes doesn't. We're in the process of fixing our O-line and have a decent Def, not sure if Pickens can be that superstar yet.
  • You say that Wilson and Fields aren't the long term answer, and you might be right, but you might not be. No offense, but they could fit into Arthur Smith's offense better than they fit with Sean Payton or Bill Lazor and Luke Getsy (two OCs fired after 2 seasons).
  • If one of the QBs performs very well this season, a stud WR might be the difference between playoff wins and bouncing early. Jamar Chase was the truth for the 2021 Bengals.
  • Aiyuk today might be cheaper than Pickens in 2026.
It probably has a higher chance of backfiring than success, but investing in a stud WR this season could really help this team. I wouldn't be surprised if they waited until part way through camp before a trade to see these QBs really in action. If the QBs are mediocre, it makes much less sense.

Sounds like a CTEspn tweet.
No Parsons apparently told a reporter that he would love to play for the Steelers at some point, cause of Tomlin.. Of course they aren't going to trade for him, but we can dream, right?
Just poking fun at the speculation, since it's what AB does. Parsons actually said he wants to be a Cowboy for life but (BUT) if not his next choice would be the Steelers because of Tomlin. He's not going anywhere though (IMO), and it would take a lot more than a 1st/3rd/4th.

Sounds like a CTEspn tweet.
No Parsons apparently told a reporter that he would love to play for the Steelers at some point, cause of Tomlin.. Of course they aren't going to trade for him, but we can dream, right?
Just poking fun at the speculation, since it's what AB does. Parsons actually said he wants to be a Cowboy for life but (BUT) if not his next choice would be the Steelers because of Tomlin. He's not going anywhere though (IMO), and it would take a lot more than a 1st/3rd/4th.
I don't know, I thought Fields would have cost more, so who knows.. If Dallas and Parsons can't get a extension, and word is they are worlds apart, I think if they trade him, you could get him pretty reasonable.

Guess we shall see. I still think he's a good pickup. From OTA the WR were having their way with the CBs. Either the WR are way better than we thought or the corner room is in big trouble. Sutton at 29 has a good shot to earn a spot after paying his dues.

SF spent their big money on McCaffrey. Aiyuk trade would be glorious! Hopefully not entertaining the ol bait n switch attempt to dump Deebo on us.
SF has the 7th most cap space right now, so they have plenty of money.

IF SF trades Aiyuk, it won't be til after this season when they can franchise him and get a better return.

If SF was gonna trade either Aiyuk or Deebo, it would have been during the draft IMO. I don't see either of them being moved before next offseason.

Last edited:
Guess we shall see. I still think he's a good pickup. From OTA the WR were having their way with the CBs. Either the WR are way better than we thought or the corner room is in big trouble. Sutton at 29 has a good shot to earn a spot after paying his dues.
Aside from JPJ, it's bad news. QB rating vs Sutton was 112.3 last season, while Jackson was 107.7.

If Watt and company can't get to some of the quality QBs they'll face this season, you'll see an air show back there.

This guy is a bigger POS then I thought...

His quote:

"Cam Sutton, on his offseason through his arrest, release and subsequent return to Steelers: "Adversity strikes everybody in life. It's about how you handle it and how you go through those phases and knowing who you are individually and not letting someone else dim your light."

Adversity strikes everybody in life? Dude you beat a woman and then ran from the police.. Its sickening you are even allowed too play. Most people's *** would be in jail and their employers would have moved on from them.

This guy is a bigger POS then I thought...

His quote:

"Cam Sutton, on his offseason through his arrest, release and subsequent return to Steelers: "Adversity strikes everybody in life. It's about how you handle it and how you go through those phases and knowing who you are individually and not letting someone else dim your light."

Adversity strikes everybody in life? Dude you beat a woman and then ran from the police.. Its sickening you are even allowed too play. Most people's *** would be in jail and their employers would have moved on from them.
I am not a fan of this signing. Appears to be another case of NFL team prioritizing on-field talent over off-field crap.

I haven't seen any details emerge of the incident, but he didn't claim it was self defense, he entered a pre-trial diversion program.

I do know that a number of reporters who cover the Steelers are shocked that Cam Sutton did this based on how he's acted around them. But that's not a side to someone that is always easy to see.

Second chance for a weak POS who slammed a mother of his kids around and choked her unconscious? Many victims of abuse never get a second chance at life.

A totally classless move by this organization signing this scumbag.

Cam Sutton was a great signing whose off the field issues made him available at a tremendous discount. How great a signing is TBD if he can get back to the level of play he had with us the last time and how much time he may miss with a suspension but just like what we did at QB, the opportunity presented itself to fill a need at a major discount for different reasons and I absolutely love the approach to take advantage of those situations, whatever they may be.

Cam Sutton was a great signing whose off the field issues made him available at a tremendous discount. How great a signing is TBD if he can get back to the level of play he had with us the last time and how much time he may miss with a suspension but just like what we did at QB, the opportunity presented itself to fill a need at a major discount for different reasons and I absolutely love the approach to take advantage of those situations, whatever they may be.
Wasnt a great signing. Dude’s character made it worst.

People making accusations in here yet the DA dropped the charges down to a single misdemeanor. Makes you question what really happened. Well, makes some question what really happened while a few others want to send him to the chair.

People making accusations in here yet the DA dropped the charges down to a single misdemeanor. Makes you question what really happened. Well, makes some question what really happened while a few others want to send him to the chair.
I don't care what the charges were dropped too, go read the complaint.. The dude choked out his girlfriend and then ran from the police.. In what world is that ever ok, or is ever excused? Oh wait, when the suspect is a Football player who just signed with your team.

I remember how Steeler fans reacted when Baltimore and Cincy signed guys like this, well not anymore.

I don't care what the charges were dropped too, go read the complaint.. The dude choked out his girlfriend and then ran from the police.. In what world is that ever ok, or is ever excused? Oh wait, when the suspect is a Football player who just signed with your team.

I remember how Steeler fans reacted when Baltimore and Cincy signed guys like this, well not anymore.
The alleged actions in the complaint.

That she recanted.

Steelers spoke with him prior to when it was reported. They did their DD.

alleged LOL

That she recanted.

Steelers spoke with him prior to when it was reported. They did their DD.
I doubt we'll ever know what happened, but it's common for DV victims who rely on their abuser for money to recant.

Also, it's common for DA's to accept lesser pleas in cases they're not 100% certain to win.

Recant and reduction don't mean he's innocent, similar to accusation doesn't mean he's 100% guilty. Hopefully Tomlin and Khan did their due diligence and didn't sign a scumbag.

Users who are viewing this thread