What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: nearly universal praise for 2024 draft (20 Viewers)

Khristian Boyd visiting today. I really like him for the Steelers, but had kind of written him off because nobody at all attended the pro day. Now he is in play I think and a decent fit.
The 3 players that really seemed like Steelers to me are Mike Sainristil, Blake Fisher, and Khristian Boyd. I think they talked to MS at the Mich pro day and brought the other 2 in for visits. I think all 3 are in play in the 3rd/4th if they're still there. Though I think they'd take Maason over Boyd, but Boyd should go later.

JPJ visiting today.

Also, they can't draft him because then when someone says JPJ we won't know which one they're talking about.
He'll make a great 2nd round pick. 🤞
You think he will be there at 51 or they will need to trade up?
I think 1 of the 3 centers will make it there. I'd bet heavily that it's a tackle in round 1 unless they're all gone. And only way they trade up is if there's concern about getting 1 of the 3 centers where they are in the 2nd.
Dulac thinks there may be concern about 1 of the 3 being there at 51.

Also read that Mims stock might be falling so maybe they could go JPJ in the 1st (but centers "never go that high"...cough cough Pouncey) and Mims in the 2nd if he were to fall.
I've recently read rumors about both Mims and JPJ/Frazier going lower than expected (though this is lying season). I'm not locked into Mims as our OT in the 1st, I'd rather have Fuaga, Fautanu, Latham, or Fashanu, but I could definitely be talked into trading down and grabbing both.

I think there are a handful of possible trade down targets in the 1st. Buffalo needs a WR and if they love Thomas or AD they could jump up, Lions need OT and S, if DeJean is still there they might jump up to grab him or if there's a specific tackle they want.
If we move down 5 spots it should net us enough to be able to jump to the top of the 2nd from 51, if we give up all of our compensation. If we move down 8-9 spots then we can jump into the top 40 and still retain part of the compensation we earned (Give up 20 for 29 and 73, then trade 51 and 98 to get ~40). Moves us up 25 picks in the 3rd and we still get the OT/OC we wanted.

I've recently read rumors about both Mims and JPJ/Frazier going lower than expected (though this is lying season). I'm not locked into Mims as our OT in the 1st, I'd rather have Fuaga, Fautanu, Latham, or Fashanu, but I could definitely be talked into trading down and grabbing both.

I think there are a handful of possible trade down targets in the 1st. Buffalo needs a WR and if they love Thomas or AD they could jump up, Lions need OT and S, if DeJean is still there they might jump up to grab him or if there's a specific tackle they want.
If we move down 5 spots it should net us enough to be able to jump to the top of the 2nd from 51, if we give up all of our compensation. If we move down 8-9 spots then we can jump into the top 40 and still retain part of the compensation we earned (Give up 20 for 29 and 73, then trade 51 and 98 to get ~40). Moves us up 25 picks in the 3rd and we still get the OT/OC we wanted.
Buffalo doesn't have a 3rd, so trading up to 20 would probably be some pick swaps. Move back 8 picks in round 1 to slide up from round 3 to late 2nd.
Steelers receives 1:28, 2:28
Buffalo recieves 1:20, 3:34

Tried a couple mocks using the Buffalo example. One scenario where Barton was available at 28, another trading up in the 2nd. JPJ went at 2:1 so traded with NE to get Barton
PickPlayerPosCollege
1:28Graham BartonOTDuke
2:19Xavier LegetteWRSouth Carolina
2:28Mike SainristilCBMichigan
3:20Maason SmithDLLSU
4:19Roger RosengartenOTWashington
6:2Tahj WashingtonWRUSC
6:19Dillon JohnsonRBWashington
AcquiredViaTraded Away
1:28, 2:28BUF1:20, 3:34

Trade up
PickPlayerPosCollege
1:28Nate WigginsCBClemson
2:2Graham BartonOTDuke
2:28Malachi CorleyWRWestern Kentucky
4:19Roger RosengartenOTWashington
6:2Khristian BoydDLNorthern Iowa
6:19Dillon JohnsonRBWashington
AcquiredViaTraded Away
1:28, 2:28BUF1:20, 3:34
2:2NE2:19, 3:20

Funny thing about both mocks, Brock Bowers fell to us at 20. If that actually happens, wouldn't Pittsburgh run to the podium? That or there would be a very good chance another team would over pay to move up. Taking a "fair" trade down package doesn't apply when you have a guy that talented on the board. He's like a WR 1b at a TE salary. Salary cap gold

Brock is an upgrade over Pat. I agree personally I think Miami should go all in on Brock. After watching hard knocks it was evident that the Dolphins need a TE in that up tempo offense. But then Miami was exposed as being a soft team.

Based on the talk I don't think Barton falls to the late first or early 2nd.

And based on who they've had in for visits it seems tackle and cb are very high on their list.

49'ers have to many mouths to feed. Plus you keep hearing how they wanna pay Purdy. I think Aiyuk will be traded they are holding out trying to drive up his value. But Diggs trade value hurts 49ers trade value. Tyler Boyd is trying to drive up his value to no avail.

Noah Strackbein saying his inside sources calling Aiyuk trade 50/50 would be more surprised if it didn't happen. Steelers want SF to absorb more of the 2024 cap number, so it sounds like they are down to smaller details vs. what round picks involved.

Nothing revealed about what the actual compensation would be. SF does have a bunch of picks especially 3 in round 4. My guess would be SF is more interested in moving up in the 1st than loading up on later picks. Would be pretty sweet if comp is say swap 1st round picks 20 with 31.

Noah Strackbein saying his inside sources calling Aiyuk trade 50/50 would be more surprised if it didn't happen. Steelers want SF to absorb more of the 2024 cap number, so it sounds like they are down to smaller details vs. what round picks involved.

Nothing revealed about what the actual compensation would be. SF does have a bunch of picks especially 3 in round 4. My guess would be SF is more interested in moving up in the 1st than loading up on later picks. Would be pretty sweet if comp is say swap 1st round picks 20 with 31.
IF the 49ers trade Aiyuk, nothing less than a 1st gets the convo started, but I've heard nothing about being in talks with any team, just click bait saying the Steelers are interested.

It's not like SF can't afford to pay Aiyuk. They can and will, IMO, but they're known for getting there big deals done late summer, so until then, the chatter and speculation will continue.

But Diggs trade value hurts 49ers trade value.
Respectfully don't agree or see the comp. Bills were done with Diggs and were willing to eat money to get rid of him and they still got back a second for a one year rental on a player who appears to be in full on decline. Just not seeing how that drives down any potential Aiyuk price.

IF the 49ers trade Aiyuk, nothing less than a 1st gets the convo started, but I've heard nothing about being in talks with any team, just click bait saying the Steelers are interested.

It's not like SF can't afford to pay Aiyuk. They can and will, IMO, but they're known for getting there big deals done late summer, so until then, the chatter and speculation will continue.
Certainly could be a 1st to get the conversation started. Kinda funny he's typically under utilized and behind McCaffrey, DeeBo fighting with Kittle for 3rd. Might be enough firepower SF chooses to save the cap space for other positions and be ok with less than a 1st similar to Buffalo trading Diggs.

Also agree SF has shown they get those big deals done, but you can only pay so many guys top market salaries. Smoke about "sources" working on trade details implies SF is seriously weighing options. I'm not getting a click bait vibe with the latest mentions. Will see.

Respectfully don't agree or see the comp. Bills were done with Diggs and were willing to eat money to get rid of him and they still got back a second for a one year rental on a player who appears to be in full on decline. Just not seeing how that drives down any potential Aiyuk price.
Good point. Aiyuk is more in his prime too. Probably is a 1st plus to make it work.

Absolutely no way do I give up a 1st for Aiyuk. So many WRs can be obtained at a much lower hit who would be just as good in the Steelers offense.

And I certainly would think the bills would be in the trade talks if he really is on the trade block.

Graham Barton and Fautanu recent visits. Also, saw that Ladd McConkey was an official visit. Didn't see that widely reported. He could be a late 1st/early 2nd target if we trade down and don't trade for Aiyuk. It would be pretty wild if we traded down for Aiyuk (20 - 31) and then took Ladd.

The mock draft simulators are getting crazier and crazier, but I'm not sure if that means that players are moving around a ton or if lying season is just throwing everything off. A recent sim netted me Mims after a trade down in the 1st, and Barton at 51 in the 2nd. That just seems inaccurate.

The mock draft simulators are getting crazier and crazier, but I'm not sure if that means that players are moving around a ton or if lying season is just throwing everything off. A recent sim netted me Mims after a trade down in the 1st, and Barton at 51 in the 2nd. That just seems inaccurate.
Barton at 51 is crazy. The 10 experts listed in DraftBuzz have Barton between 14 and 34, 18 and 33 if you throw out the min and max.

BTW, PIT drafts just before Miami and we have similar needs. PIT could scoop Miami out of a good IOL/OT or dline selection.

Barton at 51 is crazy. The 10 experts listed in DraftBuzz have Barton between 14 and 34, 18 and 33 if you throw out the min and max.

BTW, PIT drafts just before Miami and we have similar needs. PIT could scoop Miami out of a good IOL/OT or dline selection.
What are the odds we double dip at OT if we take Mims in the 1st? He feels like a risky OT with lots of upside, could make sense to take a player in the late 3rd or 4th to compete with Mims.

Also, it's incredibly frustrating in mocks to take Barton in the 1st and have Frazier available in the 2nd. Feels like a waste because the drop from Barton to Frazier appears to be much less than the drop at OT/CB/WR.

What are the odds we double dip at OT if we take Mims in the 1st? He feels like a risky OT with lots of upside, could make sense to take a player in the late 3rd or 4th to compete with Mims.

Also, it's incredibly frustrating in mocks to take Barton in the 1st and have Frazier available in the 2nd. Feels like a waste because the drop from Barton to Frazier appears to be much less than the drop at OT/CB/WR.
Can't have enough OL depth so possible we double dip. I'll be honest Mims is the guy I'm planting my flag down for, the major reason I don't want to trade for an Aiyuk instead of saving that first, believe we'd just be a year ahead of a curve which would see him being a top 10 pick next year so saying that I don't share the high risk concerns as much and we'd still have Moore for next season while he learns.

Daniel Jeremiah is adamant Barton won't be around past the 20's. As Center's got the drop off may not be much between Frazier and him, but where I believe the major value gap is occurring between the two is that Frazier is a pure C, Barton I keep getting told can play all 5 positions.

Can't have enough OL depth so possible we double dip. I'll be honest Mims is the guy I'm planting my flag down for, the major reason I don't want to trade for an Aiyuk instead of saving that first, believe we'd just be a year ahead of a curve which would see him being a top 10 pick next year so saying that I don't share the high risk concerns as much and we'd still have Moore for next season while he learns.

Daniel Jeremiah is adamant Barton won't be around past the 20's. As Center's got the drop off may not be much between Frazier and him, but where I believe the major value gap is occurring between the two is that Frazier is a pure C, Barton I keep getting told can play all 5 positions.

"Can" doesn't mean "should." Isn't he the guy with hella short arms? Those types typically don't last at OT.

Can't imagine teams aren't looking at him as interior only, if he's the raptor-armed dude I'm thinking of. Possible I'm confusing him with one of the other prospects.

While doubling down on the same position in the NFL Draft can concentrate draft capital, it also presents an opportunity to secure the best available talent. Balancing these considerations is crucial for teams aiming to build a well-rounded roster. Sometimes, the allure of exceptional players outweighs the risk, leading teams to strategically ‘double dip’ and fortify a critical position. OT and WR are positions of strength in this upcoming draft.

While I’d love to see Brandon Aiyuk don the black and gold of the Steelers, committing a first-round pick and potentially shelling out $25 million annually is a substantial investment. Moreover, the 2024 NFL Draft boasts an unprecedented constellation of star power at the wide receiver position. This draft class could very well go down in history as the best for WRs. Notably, the second and third rounds are brimming with talent as well.

When it comes to drafting wide receivers, no team has demonstrated more prowess than the Pittsburgh Steelers. Their track record in identifying and developing top-tier receiver talent is unparalleled.

The 2024 NFL Draft promises an electrifying wide receiver class, and teams will have ample talent to choose from across multiple rounds. Exciting times ahead for football enthusiasts

I'm still holding out hope for Nate Wiggins and Luke McCaffrey. However, I'd never complain if they took a tackle in the first.

Last edited:

I appreciate your post! I wish I used the current 2024 NFL draft which is shaping up to be rich in wide receiver (WR) talent. This influx of promising WR prospects can indeed impact the value of current wide receivers in the market. Teams may be more inclined to invest in young, cost-effective talent from the draft rather than paying a premium for established players.

As for the Buffalo Bills acquiring value for an EOL (End of Life) malcontent, it’s quite the coup! Getting anything in return for a player with a challenging attitude or nearing the end of their career is a savvy move. It’s a testament to the Bills’ negotiation skills and the market dynamics.

I was off big time twice here.

"Can" doesn't mean "should." Isn't he the guy with hella short arms? Those types typically don't last at OT.

Can't imagine teams aren't looking at him as interior only, if he's the raptor-armed dude I'm thinking of. Possible I'm confusing him with one of the other prospects.
Don't know if it's who you are thinking about, perhaps. His arms are on the longer side for the top C prospects, in line with the few top G prospects but no top OT prospects in this draft have arms remotely that short and the closest you can probably come to a successful NFL OT with that arm length is Slater who has him beat by 1/8th of an inch.

So no don't think any team views him as a longtime starting OT, no one is drafting him to be that. But I think you may be underselling his versatility and value to teams to be able to effectively swing out and give you a solid stretch there if you need it and I think he is a legit candidate to be a long time starting G.I believe that's why teams value him higher, even if he's mainly an interior player that's still more versatility and if he did end up playing G considerably more cost efficient versus the cap then a C. Right now there are 11 guards with higher APY then the highest paid C, other then RB I would say a pure C is the least cost effective position relative to the cap to use a first round pick on, and it's close between those two.

ETA just came across this breakdown from Nate Tice:

Washington’s Troy Fautanu and Duke’s Graham Barton are two of my favorite players in this entire draft, at any position. Both played left tackle in their respective final seasons in college and both have experience at other spots along the offensive line. They project as being able to start at four, perhaps at even all five spots on the offensive line. While Fautanu and Barton aren’t the typical height of NFL tackles, they both play with such advanced hands, athletic bend and tight footwork that it allows them to overcome any deficiencies, and Fautanu has more than enough arm length that allows him to play longer than expected.

Fautanu and Barton each have the combination of technique, strength, smarts and movement traits that it’s easy to comfortably project them at any spot along the line (I even think both have the perfect rear ends to play center). Really any team that needs a starter, at any spot perhaps other than left tackle, would love to drop in either of these two players to not only contribute early in their careers, but to also have Pro Bowl-type upside at multiple spots. Jets, Broncos, Raiders, Saints, Seahawks, Jaguars, Steelers, Dolphins, Eagles, I could basically say every team in the draft would be a good fit for Fautanu or Barton.

Last edited:
Best case scenario?
  • 20 - Amarius Mims, OT
  • 51 - Zach Frazier, OC
  • 84 - Mike Sainristil, CB
  • 98 - TRADE - Brandon Aiyuk (also a 2025 4th)
  • 119 - Luke McCaffrey, WR
  • 178 - Khristian Boyd, DL
  • 195 - Tommy Eichenberg, LB

Best case scenario?
  • 20 - Amarius Mims, OT
  • 51 - Zach Frazier, OC
  • 84 - Mike Sainristil, CB
  • 98 - TRADE - Brandon Aiyuk (also a 2025 4th)
  • 119 - Luke McCaffrey, WR
  • 178 - Khristian Boyd, DL
  • 195 - Tommy Eichenberg, LB
Pretty much no chance anyone slips to these spots except Mims. I consider him a reach at 20. He has played 8 games. His bust potential is sky high

If the Steelers really want to max Russ' production they should make a strong offer (3rd rounder) to the Broncos for WR Courtland Sutton. Those two accounted for 10 TD's last season and Sutton was the only non-checkdown target Wilson ever really trusted.
I really like this plan, and I think it can happen. Swapping our 3rd with their 5th or 6th round pick would be ideal.

If the Steelers really want to max Russ' production they should make a strong offer (3rd rounder) to the Broncos for WR Courtland Sutton. Those two accounted for 10 TD's last season and Sutton was the only non-checkdown target Wilson ever really trusted.
I really like this plan, and I think it can happen. Swapping our 3rd with their 5th or 6th round pick would be ideal.
He's a cut candidate, would imagine Denver would jump on just getting back a 5th or 6th by itself. Not remotely worth a third.

He's a cut candidate, would imagine Denver would jump on just getting back a 5th or 6th by itself. Not remotely worth a third.
Good Lord. There's no way the Broncos will cut him. They just paid him a $2 million injury guarantee knowing he had clean-up ankle surgery.

Good Lord. There's no way the Broncos will cut him. They just paid him a $2 million injury guarantee knowing he had clean-up ankle surgery.
Chris Tomasson

@christomasson

Issue with #Broncos Courtland Sutton wanting new deal is being in limbo with possibility of being released. Jason Fitzgerald of OvertheCap says his contract has offset language. So if released & signs with another team for $2 mil. or more, Broncos get reimbursed his $2M guarantee

Chris Tomasson
@christomasson

Issue with #Broncos Courtland Sutton wanting new deal is being in limbo with possibility of being released. Jason Fitzgerald of OvertheCap says his contract has offset language. So if released & signs with another team for $2 mil. or more, Broncos get reimbursed his $2M guarantee
So if you're the Broncos front office, what is your rationale for releasing him?

From a financial standpoint, if Denver was going to cut him they would have done so when they were in cap hell and cleaning house like they did with Justin Simmons to absorb the Wilson cap hit and go after FA's. Doing so now makes no sense whatsoever.

From a performance standpoint, the guy is just 28, coming off a 10 TD season, fairly paid, with elite contested catch and red zone skills.

From a contract standpoint, Sutton has two years left and no guaranteed money other than the $2 million and no leverage to hold out to negotiate a new one.

Chris Tomasson
@christomasson

So if you're the Broncos front office, what is your rationale for releasing him?

From a financial standpoint, if Denver was going to cut him they would have done so when they were in cap hell to go after FA's like they did with Justin Simmons. Doing so now makes no sense whatsoever.

From a performance standpoint, the guy is just 28, coming off a 10 TD season, fairly paid, with elite contested catch and red zone skills.

10 TD's? Nice framing. How about the fact he's averaged 49 yards receiving a game the last 3 seasons, 48 or so last year. Or the 4 TOTAL TD's the previous two years. So no, it's not worth $13m to Denver where they stand now, that's why he's a cut candidate.

And as to why wait? Because it creates more cap space if they cut him after June 1 and they can't designate him a post June 1 cap hit release because NFL teams are only allowed to utilize that with two players and Denver already used. They likely feel confident, as I provided a source, that the $2M will be accounted for by the team that picks him up so no major risk in holding on and trying to see if they can find a taker later. If they do end up trading him it will be for like a 6th-7th, take that third round nonsense you are selling somewhere else and quit cluttering up this thread.

quit cluttering up this thread.
I'm only responding to your post that nested mine. So if you don't want a response and a conversation then don't reply.

There are numerous Steelers-based writers (in addition to national ones) discussing Sutton-to-Pittsburgh as a possibility. You're not the FBG moderator and it's an NFL topic so buzz off with your "quit cluttering this thread" BS.

Behind the Steel Curtain: Could the Steelers reunite Courtland Sutton with Russell Wilson?

Steelers Now: Broncos WR Courtland Sutton Could Make Sense for Steelers

Steelers Depot: Could WR Courtland Sutton be on Steelers' Radar After Sitting out OTA's?

Arthur Moats: Is A Pittsburgh Steelers Trade For Broncos Courtland Sutton More Likely After Him Skipping OTAs?

take that third round nonsense you are selling somewhere else and quit cluttering up this thread.

Please be more cool than that.

We can discuss and disagree here without getting down to insults like that. Thanks.
Excuse me but when someone responds to my post with a "good lord" I'll respond in kind and I'd appreciate if you feel the need to call someone out you do it with more in a more equitable fashion.

Aiyuk would be an absolutely perfect compliment to Pickens...

But man, he's wanting a lot of $$$... I don't think I'd be down with us spending a first or second for him.

I love Aiyuk's game. Love it, buuuut....what in this or any of the other 8 Hells makes anyone truly think that Artie Smith has a single idea what to do with he/Pickens to make it worth burning the equity it'd take to acquire him?

Again, love his game. If Aiyuk isn't "elite" he's about as close as you can get without crossing over into that territory (I feel he is, though some may not). He's probably worth the mid/late 1st I'm sure SF will demand to acquire, but in this "hand me that thing!!" offense? Not sure I get it, unless it's a sign of Smith doing a 180 (pro tip: He won't be. He got hired to go all "dinosaur ball", he's gonna go all "dinosaur ball.")

Hell, they may as well deal Pickens to get Aiyuk if that's their plan, cuz he'll do nothing but *****/sulk when the 8 throws a week that go to WRs all go to the new guy.

Arthur Smith "Dinosaur ball" love this quote I'd just abbreviate it to "Dino ball" My mind went right t0 this short clip or this one.

Brandon Aiyuk I love his skillset. I'd rather see the Steeler's double dip on 2 WR's in this draft or think outside the box move up in the first round by giving up a draft pick and/or a player for a top tier WR in the draft. If you draft a WR you're getting a player who is 4 years' younger not making a ton of money. If they stay at 20. They have a good shot at Brian Thomas.

However, I'd prefer the first pick to be either a Center, Tackle, or a shutdown corner like Nate. The main reason is that I truly believe that George Pickens will ascend especially with better QB play.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread