What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: nearly universal praise for 2024 draft (6 Viewers)

Brandon Aiyuk I love his skillset. I'd rather see the Steeler's double dip on 2 WR's in this draft or think outside the box move up in the first round by giving up a draft pick or a player for a top tier WR in the draft. If you draft a WR you're getting a player who is 4 years' younger not making a ton of money. If they stay at 20. They have a good shot at Brian Thomas.

However, I'd prefer the first pick to be either a Center, Tackle, or a shutdown corner like Nate. The main reason is that I truly believe that George Pickens will ascend especially with better QB play.

I agree. I think Aiyuk is a really good player but I don't want to give up a high pick and pay him.

Especially when you consider I don’t see an Arthur Smith offense utilizing both him, Pickens, and Freiermuth. Look no further than how Drake London, Kyle Pitts and the rest of the ATL offense was used last year.

GB showed us the way last season with a handful of young WR talent on their 1st contract.

Yes, and I had fantasy football equity in Pitts and London over the years. Mad talent being held back and/or under achieving. You have me thinking that London's value should be going up with Cousins.

Honestly, I just want the draft to be over with at first all the speculation, discussions, click baits were great. Now it's just getting old. Here's the latest one I found about Ladd

The clickbait is just that. For a team like Pittsburgh, there "top 30" visits really, really show pretty precisely where theyre leaning. Particularly for picks 1 & 2.

Based on who theyve brought in, they want OL early, and are willing to go CB early too. WR woukd certainly be considered, but I think it is easily #3 on the draft shopping list for round 1.

I love Aiyuk's game. Love it, buuuut....what in this or any of the other 8 Hells makes anyone truly think that Artie Smith has a single idea what to do with he/Pickens to make it worth burning the equity it'd take to acquire him?

Again, love his game. If Aiyuk isn't "elite" he's about as close as you can get without crossing over into that territory (I feel he is, though some may not). He's probably worth the mid/late 1st I'm sure SF will demand to acquire, but in this "hand me that thing!!" offense? Not sure I get it, unless it's a sign of Smith doing a 180 (pro tip: He won't be. He got hired to go all "dinosaur ball", he's gonna go all "dinosaur ball.")

Hell, they may as well deal Pickens to get Aiyuk if that's their plan, cuz he'll do nothing but *****/sulk when the 8 throws a week that go to WRs all go to the new guy.
Atlanta averged 31 pass attempts per game last season with very bad QB play. Thing about Dino Ball today, pass/run ratio is close to 50%. Bears and Ravens were the only teams to run over 50% of the time. 49ers were the 3rd most run heavy per play. Despite that Aiyuk still managed over 1300 yards and 7 TD competing with Deebo, Kittle and McCaffrey for touches and a 7th round QB slinging the rock. That's impressive. Bonus: Aiyuk is a very willing blocker on run plays.

Pittsburgh was willing to pay Diontae over $18 mil/year per Spotrac and Aiyuk >>>>> Diontae in every aspect of the game. Aiyuk is worth paying the big contract. After the big 3 WR in the draft, don't see anyone as a sure thing to be close to Aiyuk.

TeamPassRunRatio
Steelers5054761.06
Falcons5285161.02
49ers4914871.01
Bears5135180.99
Ravens4935300.93

As for Arthur Smith as an OC (not head coach). I do think he can put together a good passing game aided by a strong ground attack. He's never had a QB room this good. Atlanta QB situation was as bad as it gets. There is plenty to be optimistic about here.

C-OT-WR-DT

...the good news is the Draft is fairly deep along the OL, IDL/DT, WT and OT where I see 8-10 names kicked around of 1st/2nd Round grade Tackles up and down the board.
JPJ is an option at 1.20, just 1 pick ahead of the IOL thirsty Miami Dolphins, who are also thirsty along the IDL/DT

The Arthur Smith discussions obviously bring up his previous teams and job titles in regards to his philosophy and how they'd translate in Pittsburgh

Something totally unrelated to the Steelers but in my mind I can honestly say that the Atlanta Falcons should be a front runner for HBO hard knocks.

Now to bring the last paragraph forward. Do you think we'd ever see the Pittsburgh Steeles being featured on HBO Hard Knocks?

I think it was Dulac who said a trade for Aiyuk would probably be swap of firsts this year and a 2025 2nd from the Steelers. With that I ran a 3 round mock draft with the trade in place. Took a little gamble with the 1st pick and made out nicely:

31.Byron Murphy II DT Texas
51.Jackson Powers-Johnson OC Oregon
84.Javon Bullard S Georgia
98.Mike Sainristil CB Michigan

and Aiyuk in the trade. If I'd ran the mock into the 4th I would have tried for Blake Fisher from Notre Dame. Only needs some consistency to be a very solid RT.

The Arthur Smith discussions obviously bring up his previous teams and job titles in regards to his philosophy and how they'd translate in Pittsburgh

Something totally unrelated to the Steelers but in my mind I can honestly say that the Atlanta Falcons should be a front runner for HBO hard knocks.

Now to bring the last paragraph forward. Do you think we'd ever see the Pittsburgh Steeles being featured on HBO Hard Knocks?

Absolutely not.

Certainly not with Tomlin around. Pretty sure he's on record with a "Never" as an answer to that exact question.

31.Byron Murphy II DT Texas
51.Jackson Powers-Johnson OC Oregon
84.Javon Bullard S Georgia
98.Mike Sainristil CB Michigan
What simulator are you using? The first 3, Murphy, JPJ, and Bullard are also on Miami's radar and all 3 will likely be drafted much earlier. Using DraftBuzz's 10 scouting services and throwing out the low and high, the ranges and medians for those 3 are: [12-24,17], [18-36, 29], [47-69, 52]

It would for sure be a "dream" scenario and the next run turned out quite different and I was "forced" to take jpj at 31. Fun little exercise though to get a glimpse of how things could shake out. Likely won't see any upper tier OT prospects at 31. So 31 becomes either bpa if you feel like a C will fall or you just take the best C there and see what comes later.

The AJ Brown trade and the Brandon Aiyuk trade would be very similar except 1 aspect, AJ Brown was traded after his 3rd season, whereas Aiyuk finished his 4th season. That one season makes a large difference in cost and is the only reason that Aiyuk shouldn't cost a 1st and a 3rd. It's hard to believe that the 49ers can afford him with their other high priced offensive weapons, and with Purdy going to need to get paid in a year.

Aiyuk is currently a top 10 WR in the NFL, we would be very lucky if we could get him for the equivalent of a 2nd (moving back from 20 - 31) and get him locked down on a 5 year contract. It might make signing Pickens long term more difficult, but that's a problem for 2 years from now.

As it currently stands we are anticipated to take a WR with one of our top 4 picks, and the hope is that he can be a top 60 NFL WR, aka a WR2. If we can get a top 10 WR for that same pick, it makes tons of sense.

Everyone saying that it doesn't matter, Arthur Smith can't use a top WR anyways, blah blah. How do we know that? Because there wasn't a top flight passing attack with Desmond Ridder or Ryan Tannehill? Yikes. The run game will obviously be a priority, but having excellent pass catchers make running the ball easier. Also, AJ Brown had 1000 yard receiving seasons in both his first and second season with the Titans.

If an Aiyuk trade happens, I think it happens on draft night with the Steelers on the clock so that other teams don't have a chance to snipe the 49ers ahead of pick 20. We'll see.

Leeroy, in the spirit of jest, your posts sometimes evoke memories of that mysterious high school crush—the one who kept us guessing with her enigmatic answers. Just like her, you’ve got a flair for leaving us intrigued!

Last edited:
Leroy, in the spirit of jest, your posts sometimes evoke memories of that mysterious high school crush—the one who kept us guessing with her enigmatic answers. Just like her, you’ve got a flair for leaving us intrigued!
I know. I apologize. It’s part what I get doesn’t always really pan out as it seems things are constantly in motion and the source isn’t always totally in the know, plus I am also trying to be careful not to expose my friend (who is once or twice removed from the source).

Leeroy I wrote a reply to you then for $hits and giggles I ran it through copilot. Copilot just blew my mind, but could you imagine how stressful the draft could potentially be. I'd hate for you to expose a friend. Anyways here's what copilot came up with.

Certainly! Let me weave a tale of Steelers’ draft picks and trades, where speculation dances with reality, and reporters wield their pens like swordsmen in the arena of football intrigue.

Title: “The Gridiron Gambit”

In the heart of Pittsburgh, where the Three Rivers converge, the Steelers tread a delicate path—a tightrope between hope and uncertainty. The draft board, like a chessboard, awaits their strategic moves. Let us delve into this saga of pigskin and passion:

🏈 Act I: The Draft Room

The war room hums with anticipation. The clock ticks down, and the Steelers’ brass huddles, their brows furrowed. The potential picks shimmer like stars in the night sky. Will they choose the elusive cornerback or the bruising running back? The tension is palpable, like a fourth-and-goal situation.

📜 Scene I: The Speculator’s Dilemma

“To trade or not to trade?” muses the sage analyst. The phone lines crackle—the 49ers propose a swap. Their eyes lock, and the deal is struck. The Steelers slide down the draft order, but gain an extra pick. The crowd gasps—a masterstroke or a misstep?

🔮 Act II: The Crystal Ball

The rumor mill spins faster than a spiral pass. “The Steelers eye a linebacker!” cries the oracle reporter. “No, a wide receiver!” counters another. The fans, like seers, read tea leaves and mock drafts. The Steelers’ faithful clasp their Terrible Towels, praying for a gem amidst the chaos.

🌉 Scene II: Bridges Burned, Bridges Built

The Steelers’ GM strides across the bridge, phone in hand. “The Falcons want our second-rounder!” he declares. “But the Seahawks dangle a safety!” The river below churns—a choice between stability and risk. The Steel Curtain quivers—will they leap or stand firm?

📊 Act III: The Stock Market of Dreams

The draft board unfurls—a canvas of futures. The clock ticks again. The Steelers’ pick approaches. The room holds its breath. The commissioner steps forth, and the name echoes through the stadium—a linebacker from a small college, a diamond in the rough. The stock market of dreams fluctuates—some cheer, some groan.

🎭 Epilogue: The Blood Pressure Index

The sun sets over Heinz Field. The Steelers’ faithful disperse, clutching jerseys and hopes. The speculators tally their wins and losses. The GM, weary but resolute, gazes at the city skyline. The stock market, the draft, and the game—they all intertwine, like rivers converging.

And as the moon rises, the blood pressure of Steeler Nation waxes and wanes, mirroring the ebb and flow of a season yet to unfold.

Dear reader, remember this: In football and life, speculation is our heartbeat, and potential is our oxygen. May the Steelers’ stars align, and may your blood pressure find solace in touchdowns and triumphs.

(Disclaimer: This fictional tale is spun from the threads of imagination. Any resemblance to actual events is purely coincidental.)

Last edited:
Leroy I wrote a reply to you then for $hits and giggles I ran it through copilot. Copilot just blew my mind, but could you imagine how stressful the draft could potentially be. I'd hate for you to expose a friend. Anyways here's what copilot came up with.

Certainly! Let me weave a tale of Steelers’ draft picks and trades, where speculation dances with reality, and reporters wield their pens like swordsmen in the arena of football intrigue.

Title: “The Gridiron Gambit”

In the heart of Pittsburgh, where the Three Rivers converge, the Steelers tread a delicate path—a tightrope between hope and uncertainty. The draft board, like a chessboard, awaits their strategic moves. Let us delve into this saga of pigskin and passion:

🏈 Act I: The Draft Room

The war room hums with anticipation. The clock ticks down, and the Steelers’ brass huddles, their brows furrowed. The potential picks shimmer like stars in the night sky. Will they choose the elusive cornerback or the bruising running back? The tension is palpable, like a fourth-and-goal situation.

📜 Scene I: The Speculator’s Dilemma

“To trade or not to trade?” muses the sage analyst. The phone lines crackle—the 49ers propose a swap. Their eyes lock, and the deal is struck. The Steelers slide down the draft order, but gain an extra pick. The crowd gasps—a masterstroke or a misstep?

🔮 Act II: The Crystal Ball

The rumor mill spins faster than a spiral pass. “The Steelers eye a linebacker!” cries the oracle reporter. “No, a wide receiver!” counters another. The fans, like seers, read tea leaves and mock drafts. The Steelers’ faithful clasp their Terrible Towels, praying for a gem amidst the chaos.

🌉 Scene II: Bridges Burned, Bridges Built

The Steelers’ GM strides across the bridge, phone in hand. “The Falcons want our second-rounder!” he declares. “But the Seahawks dangle a safety!” The river below churns—a choice between stability and risk. The Steel Curtain quivers—will they leap or stand firm?

📊 Act III: The Stock Market of Dreams

The draft board unfurls—a canvas of futures. The clock ticks again. The Steelers’ pick approaches. The room holds its breath. The commissioner steps forth, and the name echoes through the stadium—a linebacker from a small college, a diamond in the rough. The stock market of dreams fluctuates—some cheer, some groan.

🎭 Epilogue: The Blood Pressure Index

The sun sets over Heinz Field. The Steelers’ faithful disperse, clutching jerseys and hopes. The speculators tally their wins and losses. The GM, weary but resolute, gazes at the city skyline. The stock market, the draft, and the game—they all intertwine, like rivers converging.

And as the moon rises, the blood pressure of Steeler Nation waxes and wanes, mirroring the ebb and flow of a season yet to unfold.

Dear reader, remember this: In football and life, speculation is our heartbeat, and potential is our oxygen. May the Steelers’ stars align, and may your blood pressure find solace in touchdowns and triumphs.

(Disclaimer: This fictional tale is spun from the threads of imagination. Any resemblance to actual events is purely coincidental.)

3/10. Didnt mention "yiinz" or "confluence" a single time.

Hey Leeroy, apologies for DM'ing you and asking if you had any draft intel. I have to think you get blown up this time of year by all sorts of folks and anything you're able to share I'm sure you'd post in here for the group. My bad man and appreciate you putting out there what you can.

Hey Leeroy, apologies for DM'ing you and asking if you had any draft intel. I have to think you get blown up this time of year by all sorts of folks and anything you're able to share I'm sure you'd post in here for the group. My bad man and appreciate you putting out there what you can.
No worries at all. I am not good at checking or responding to DMs!

Steelers not picking up Fields 5th year option of $25M. No surprise there. Hope they get a deal done for 3-5 yrs, with clauses and bonuses in there to keep him around, at least long enough to see if can be the QB. I dont think Wilson is a long term answer(1 year hopefully, IMO).

Steelers not picking up Fields 5th year option of $25M. No surprise there. Hope they get a deal done for 3-5 yrs, with clauses and bonuses in there to keep him around, at least long enough to see if can be the QB. I dont think Wilson is a long term answer(1 year hopefully, IMO).
I think they will try to get a deal done, but it depends on what JF wants..

It sounds like Barton or one of the Pacific Northwest Tackles in the first. Frazier in second if go Tackle in 1st and the pick is not traded -- not sure if they would trade up. Look for Logan Lee late round at D-line.

There are trade talks happening for sure, but they may all fall out.

20. Graham Barton - OC Duke
51. Xavier Legette - WR South Carolina
84. Kamari Lassiter - CB Georgia
98. Maason Smith - DT LSU
119. Matt Goncalves - OT Pittsburgh
178. Tommy Eichenberg - LB Ohio State
195. Logan Lee - DT Iowa

Could see something like this.

Do you think this would be more because a) the trade talks between teams are just ideas/brainstorming or b) the deals are solidly in place but heavily contingent on how the draft board falls?

Last edited:
It sounds like Barton or one of the Pacific Northwest Tackles in the first. Frazier in second if go Tackle in 1st and the pick is not traded -- not sure if they would trade up. Look for Logan Lee late round at D-line.
Exactly what Miami needs. We're drafting 1 pick later than PIT in round 1, 4 picks later in round 2. I could see us trading up in round 2 for Frazier if we go DL in round 1.

Do you think this would be more because a) the trade talks between teams are just ideas/brainstorming or b) the deals are solidly in place but heavily contingent on how the draft board falls?

Just seems like there are always a lot of moving pieces. Aiyuk was getting worked hard, but may have paused and pivoted.

I heard Tyler Boyd wants 10 million a year Steeler's offered 5 million. Seems like Tyler over priced himself. This upcoming draft full of WR could work against him.

So random insider info - Wilson is buying a substantial condo in downtown Pittsburgh and relocating his family there. I'm not sure if that's normal for guys who expect to be in places for a short time (maybe HE expects to be there longer), and I acknowledge that a very pricey place is a drop in the hat to Wilson (and Ciara), but still...I know it all plays out on the field, but he seems to be planning on being there for a bit.

195. Logan Lee - DT Iowa

No trades, I really like how your mock turned out. Legette or Pearsall are my favorite day 2 guys @ WR.

Where my mind goes for round 1 scenarios...
Opt 1 - Odunze falls enough to trade up, I think that's the #1 hope but I don't see him falling past 9. He's not immediately on Aiyuk level but outstanding WR on a rookie deal. Big win!
Opt 2 - Aiyuk trade comes through! Gut says this trade is all set, just waiting for draft day in case Pittsburgh gets lucky enough to move up for Odunze.
Opt 3 - What Leeroy says. Stay put at 20 and take best available between OT and Barton. Wouldn't be shocked if Miami finds a way to leapfrog us like we did to the Jets last year.

If you could get Nourzad or Limmer with their 4th rd pick, do you take it, and draft OT, WR, CB, DE with the first 4 picks? Or maybe ever 2 WR in those first 4?

So random insider info - Wilson is buying a substantial condo in downtown Pittsburgh and relocating his family there. I'm not sure if that's normal for guys who expect to be in places for a short time (maybe HE expects to be there longer), and I acknowledge that a very pricey place is a drop in the hat to Wilson (and Ciara), but still...I know it all plays out on the field, but he seems to be planning on being there for a bit.
I'm with you. Russ could have several great years left and is better than Fields right now. He was my favorite QB in that draft behind Luck and has had a better career. Give him the keys and let's see how far we can go.

Fields is an exciting player, but one of his biggest weaknesses is drifting to his left in the pocket. Right where Dan Moore or Broderick Jones will be. Dream turns to nightmare thinking of all the strip sacks he's going to give up. Have to be brutally honest here. Broderick isn't great at pass pro. He's here to be a run blocking savant.

Steelers restructure Alex Highsmith's contract to create $7 million in cap space. Could this be a precursor for Aiyuk or Sutton trade?
Or sign Connor Williams if we don't get a center in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd?

I'm hoping it means we get Aiyuk by swapping 20 and 31 and giving up a ~3rd in 2025.

I'm with you. Russ could have several great years left and is better than Fields right now. He was my favorite QB in that draft behind Luck and has had a better career. Give him the keys and let's see how far we can go.

Fields is an exciting player, but one of his biggest weaknesses is drifting to his left in the pocket. Right where Dan Moore or Broderick Jones will be. Dream turns to nightmare thinking of all the strip sacks he's going to give up. Have to be brutally honest here. Broderick isn't great at pass pro. He's here to be a run blocking savant.
He was a rookie playing on the opposite side of the line.

195. Logan Lee - DT Iowa

Why is everyone so confident that Barton is a plug and play center? He has only played 6 games at center, and that was back in 2020.

I'd much rather see:
20. Taliese Fuaga, OT Oregon St (hoping he falls this far)
51. Malachi Corley, WR Western Kentucky (Xavier Legette - WR South Carolina, I think he'll be gone before 40 but would take him over Malachi; I'd also take Keon Coleman over Corley)
84. Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C Georgia
119. Renardo Green, CB FSU
178. Khristian Boyd, DL Northern Iowa
195. Tommy Eichenberg - LB Ohio State

Users who are viewing this thread