What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Team Defense & Defense by Committee Thread (5 Viewers)

Sorry if my post was confusing, rock.

I'm riding the Broncos solo from Weeks 16-18, because I have a 1st Round playoff bye in Week 15:

Week 15 @ Lions (I'm on Bye, so I don't have to deal with this)

Week 16 vs Patriots
Week 17 vs Chargers
Week 18 @ Raiders

So the Bills DST are on the WW right now, and they get the Chargers in LA for Week 16. I assume any actual Chargers fans that still have tickets for the game will sell them for anything they can get rather than be forced to watch them in person, so it should be even less of a "home" game for the Chargers.

Do you think the Chargers can bounce back from this debacle and at least put up a fight or do you think the Bills can duplicate what the Raiders did tonight?

I am struggling this week in my decision:
Atlanta vs Carolina (my choice this morning)
New Orleans vs NY Giants (would have chosen earlier, but Giants played well last week)
Cleveland vs Chicago Bears (do I hang on to Cleveland's early season greatness?)

Thoughts??

Carolina weather is going to be terrible according to forecast....if you want a super high floor, like me, I'm rolling ATL - and over CLE which is another choice of mine

I am struggling this week in my decision:
Atlanta vs Carolina (my choice this morning)
New Orleans vs NY Giants (would have chosen earlier, but Giants played well last week)
Cleveland vs Chicago Bears (do I hang on to Cleveland's early season greatness?)

Thoughts??

Carolina weather is going to be terrible according to forecast....if you want a super high floor, like me, I'm rolling ATL - and over CLE which is another choice of mine
Thanks much Largent. I too will go with Atlanta then.

Anyone concerned about starting CLE vs CHI this week? I see CLE ranked top 3 everywhere, and their defense has been really good overall, but it sounds like they’ve had some significant injuries lately and CHI has been playing pretty well. I’m not sure CHI is the dream matchup it appeared to be weeks ago, but all the “experts” disagree.

With options like LAR vs WAS, and ATL & CAR available, I’m second guessing CLE.

Anyone concerned about starting CLE vs CHI this week? I see CLE ranked top 3 everywhere, and their defense has been really good overall, but it sounds like they’ve had some significant injuries lately and CHI has been playing pretty well. I’m not sure CHI is the dream matchup it appeared to be weeks ago, but all the “experts” disagree.

Think it's still solid, but not a smash play. CHI is playing real well. I know I'm going with them to cover +3 and possibly win.

For what it's worth, think minus somebody dropping a gift in my lap, I'm rolling with these three Ds during the next three weeks:

* KC (@NE, LV, CINC)
* DEN (@DET, NE, LAC)
* CHI (@CLE, AZ, ATL)

Think depending on weather, could see swapping CHI D in.

GB D also available for next week @CAR, but not going to get cute understanding what I have.

Think it's still solid, but not a smash play. CHI is playing real well. I know I'm going with them to cover +3 and possibly win.
Agree that CLE is a solid play, but we want more than solid in the playoffs, right? While CLE va CHI will likely be low scoring, LAR vs WAS and ATL @ CAR seem to have a greater likelihood of sacks, turnovers, and potential defensive TDs.

my plan is ATL this week @ Carolina and also on the WW Pick up Denver vs NE and vs a Stick led Chargers team should I make it to the superbowl in weeks 16 and 17..... My plan WAS to pick up Philly for the playoffs should they sho some sort of improvement because they have a pretty good schedule but the dont seem to be able to stop anybody.
Well my opponent in the playoffs sniped me on Atlanta on the waiver wire so I picked LV playing against a stick led team who cant score especially with Keenan Allen out. Im probably going to have to send him flowers or something by taking ATL from me. LV scored 23 and would have gotten me 6 more points ( yardage and offense bonuses) had they decided to defend that last drive.

Agree that CLE is a solid play, but we want more than solid in the playoffs, right? While CLE va CHI will likely be low scoring, LAR vs WAS and ATL @ CAR seem to have a greater likelihood of sacks, turnovers, and potential defensive TDs.
I'd go ATL.

CAR offense stinks and it looks like there's going to be weather issues.

Nobody likes Titans D vs Davis Mills minus Collins?

I'm debating between them, ATL, CHI, and CLE same as you all. Cle is being started in 87% of CBS leagues. Really hard to go away from them. Really wish I was ballsy enough to play LV

I'm debating between them, ATL, CHI, and CLE same as you all. Cle is being started in 87% of CBS leagues. Really hard to go away from them. Really wish I was ballsy enough to play LV

I'm considering the Titans, Saints, Bears and Broncos.

Anyone else on the Colts this week at home against Pitt?

Been riding them hot for weeks now, and leaning going with them again this week, despite last week's clunker against Cincy and their Rich Gannon 2.0 QB.

- EJ Speed out last week, returning this week - https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/colts-steelers-injury-2-out-2-return

- Screen game was an issue last week - https://www.colts.com/news/screen-passes-zack-moss-matt-gay-missed-field-goals-week-14-bengals

- Awesome breakdown of the Colts D. EJ Speed's absence could be why they struggled vs. screens. - https://steelersdepot.com/2023/12/scouting-report-colts-defense-carries-distinct-personality/

Alternatives I am looking at:
- Bal @ Jax
- LAR v. Was
- Cin v. Min
- Chi @ Cle

All these matchups have warts, so not sure, but Colts seem like a decent play.

I'd go ATL.

Do we know that heavy rain is a good thing for fantasy DST production? I’m not disagreeing, just asking the question as I genuinely don’t know.

Theoretically, both teams will want to run the ball as much as possible. If the field conditions are terrible, neither team may have much success.This could lead to a low scoring, 3-and-out kinda game for both teams with very little passing, which means very few opportunities for sacks or INTs.

If there’s not going to be many dropbacks, where does Atlanta DST score all their points? I suppose a potential shutout, but that could easily be ruined by a Falcons fumble in their own red zone or something.

It’s possible the Falcons run game is strong even in the heavy rain, and they can score some TDs forcing CAR to throw which could provide the sacks, & INTs.

I’m just not sure which scenario is most likely in this one. I’m concerned that a monotonous run heavy game plan on both sides equals disappointing fantasy DST production.

Looks like Ward will be back for the Browns and the key for them is not allowing Fields to run wild. If so, I see big things for their D.

Rams at home versus a WAS team just playing it out, Commanders have a lame duck staff, Brian Robinson out, Rams are in the thick of it

other choice is Browns at home versus Bears, and Packers at home versus Bucs

three good matchups IMO, tough to decide

Rams at home versus a WAS team just playing it out, Commanders have a lame duck staff, Brian Robinson out, Rams are in the thick of it

other choice is Browns at home versus Bears, and Packers at home versus Bucs

three good matchups IMO, tough to decide
Those are 3 tough ones to choose from. Do you have a 3 sided coin to flip?

Fantasy Pros consensus has it Cleveland -Rams-GB

Personally in these coin flips I go with projected team point totals, which has Chicago as the lowest at about 17. So I might go with Cleveland also.

I'd go ATL.

Do we know that heavy rain is a good thing for fantasy DST production? I’m not disagreeing, just asking the question as I genuinely don’t know.

Theoretically, both teams will want to run the ball as much as possible. If the field conditions are terrible, neither team may have much success.This could lead to a low scoring, 3-and-out kinda game for both teams with very little passing, which means very few opportunities for sacks or INTs.

If there’s not going to be many dropbacks, where does Atlanta DST score all their points? I suppose a potential shutout, but that could easily be ruined by a Falcons fumble in their own red zone or something.

It’s possible the Falcons run game is strong even in the heavy rain, and they can score some TDs forcing CAR to throw which could provide the sacks, & INTs.

I’m just not sure which scenario is most likely in this one. I’m concerned that a monotonous run heavy game plan on both sides equals disappointing fantasy DST production.
I can't imagine it helps. Another variable to screw up a young QB who has enough problems.

I'd go ATL.

I can't imagine it helps. Another variable to screw up a young QB who has enough problems.
It could help in that the struggling young QB hands the ball to his RBs all game, thereby avoiding mistakes.

As long as the game is close, which it very well may be in bad weather, Young will be handing off as much as possible. Hard for a DST to accumulate lots of sacks & turnovers in that kind of ultra conservative gamescript.

If the Falcons can get up big and force Carolina to throw, that changes things. But if weather is an issue for one team it’s likely an issue for both. Could be a really low scoring game on both sides.

Simply put, fantasy DST success largely depends on drop backs & pass attempts. The fewer there are, the less scoring opportunities for a DST. Heavy rain isn’t conducive to a pass-heavy gamescript.

Last edited:
My jets vs Washington is available but I’d have to drop multiple players that have been languishing in my IR spot (Noah Brown, Michael Wilson, Pop Douglas, Waller, and GB DST).
I just picked up the Jets for next week against Washington over the roostered Cleveland and Houston (having a bye is fun). I hate going with a defense with a bad QB, but the Commies give up a ton of sacks.

Anybody else here a little concerned about starting the Broncos DST the next two weeks after the showing they had last night?

They looked stout the past several weeks and have incredible matchups against the Pats and Chargers, but last night made them look more like they looked against Miami earlier in the season. I’m now second guessing and considering other options.

Or will they right the ship? Any Denver homers know if there were key injuries to the defense? Or are they still good but just outclassed last night by a Super Bowl contender?

My jets vs Washington is available but I’d have to drop multiple players that have been languishing in my IR spot (Noah Brown, Michael Wilson, Pop Douglas, Waller, and GB DST).
I just picked up the Jets for next week against Washington over the roostered Cleveland and Houston (having a bye is fun). I hate going with a defense with a bad QB, but the Commies give up a ton of sacks.
Yeah my thought process is choosing the better defense vs the vulnerable team vs a mid defense vs the vulnerable team. if I make it to next week.

Of course I started CLE over Ten and Chi

OK, for those still alive, who are we looking at for Week 16? I currently have KC vs LV and Cle @ Hou, but there are some attractive streamers on the wire
  • Den vs NE -- not as attractive as it looked a couple weeks ago, especially since Zappe seems to have restored a baseline level of competence to NE's offense. Still, Denver has a good D, and NE has a bad offense, so that still makes them a good option. Added bonus that they get the Chargers again in W17
  • Philly vs NYG -- another one that I'm a little less excited about. In this case it's because Philly's pass D has been God-awful. Still, will TDV and/or Tyrod really be able to take advantage of that?
  • GB @ Car -- Panthers offense remains execrable. But Packers seem to be falling apart. They blew a game to the Giants and got torched by TB
  • Cinci @ Pitt -- Steelers also seem to be melting down, and Rudolph now in at QB
  • Other possibilities: Chi vs Ari, Wash @ NYJ

OK, for those still alive, who are we looking at for Week 16? I currently have KC vs LV and Cle @ Hou, but there are some attractive streamers on the wire
  • Den vs NE -- not as attractive as it looked a couple weeks ago, especially since Zappe seems to have restored a baseline level of competence to NE's offense. Still, Denver has a good D, and NE has a bad offense, so that still makes them a good option. Added bonus that they get the Chargers again in W17
  • Philly vs NYG -- another one that I'm a little less excited about. In this case it's because Philly's pass D has been God-awful. Still, will TDV and/or Tyrod really be able to take advantage of that?
  • GB @ Car -- Panthers offense remains execrable. But Packers seem to be falling apart. They blew a game to the Giants and got torched by TB
  • Cinci @ Pitt -- Steelers also seem to be melting down, and Rudolph now in at QB
You have some good options. None of those are available for me but I have been rostering CLE all year and picked up CHI last week. Probably rolling with red hot Chi defense vs ARI.

I'm kind of in a similar spot as you. Currently I have
Jets home vs Commanders - Jets looked horrible Sunday, and Washington might switch to Brissett - although Rivera says Howell will remain the starter
49ers home vs Ravens - I'm mostly holding them for next week vs Washington

Available on the Waiver Wire
Broncos home vs Patriots
Eagles home vs NY Giants
Bengals at Steelers
Bills at Chargers - the Chargers might play competently for new interim coach or will they get blown out again - chance Keenan Allen misses again?
Bears home vs Cardinals - Marquise Brown only played a few snaps Sunday. Cardinals ran all over SF but the 49ers had 3 DT's out this week

Commanders DST also available but I have no interest in them, no matter how bad the Jets offense looks

Anybody else here a little concerned about starting the Broncos DST the next two weeks after the showing they had last night?

They looked stout the past several weeks and have incredible matchups against the Pats and Chargers, but last night made them look more like they looked against Miami earlier in the season. I’m now second guessing and considering other options.

Or will they right the ship? Any Denver homers know if there were key injuries to the defense? Or are they still good but just outclassed last night by a Super Bowl contender?
Think it was DEN's third game in a row on the road. DET came to play and it's not like you can't run on them. The success through the air was shocking to be honest.

That said, NE can't take advantage. They will struggle to score any points (especially if H. Henry is out). Think the lost another O lineman (Strange). Think it will be a solid play but maybe not spectacular (with several turnovers, TD).

Users who are viewing this thread