What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

30 Days - 30 Teams (1 Viewer)

Who do we (I am looking at you Bender and Hook) think is going to close for the CWS this year? Thornton assuming he does not get traded? I hate taking a closer early as it is such a volatile position and you usually can find em' as the season moves along just by paying attention and being a little aggressive on the Waiver Wire. I also like to find closers late in the draft. Just because they pitch for a bad team, does not mean they don't get decent save numbers while not destroying your ratios. I know it is still early but wondering what you guys think.
Early speculation favorite is Addison Reedinfo below from cbs sportsline

Addison Reed is the only pure relief pitcher on this list, but given his potential to contribute in Fantasy this season, the ranking is certainly justified. You know how Craig Kimbrel entered last season as the favorite to close for the Braves and wound up being the best reliever in Fantasy? Well, Reed has the potential to do something similar for the White Sox, provided they give him the opportunity to close now that Sergio Santos is in Toronto. No, you shouldn't expect him to set a rookie record for saves or pile up 127 strikeouts, but Reed's 1.47 ERA and 123 strikeouts in 85 2/3 innings between the majors and minors last year look a lot like Kimbrel's numbers during his rise to the majors in 2010. Reed also has experience closing, having done it for Stephen Strasburg while at San Diego State, so the transition would come naturally for him. The White Sox could go any number of directions with the closer role at this point, which is the only reason Reed ranks as low as he does among relief pitchers in Fantasy, but as the roster currently stands, the rookie looks like the leading candidate for saves. He's worth a late-round flier until that changes. (Updated 1/11/12)

Last edited by a moderator:
Who do we (I am looking at you Bender and Hook) think is going to close for the CWS this year? Thornton assuming he does not get traded? I hate taking a closer early as it is such a volatile position and you usually can find em' as the season moves along just by paying attention and being a little aggressive on the Waiver Wire. I also like to find closers late in the draft. Just because they pitch for a bad team, does not mean they don't get decent save numbers while not destroying your ratios. I know it is still early but wondering what you guys think.

Addison Reed is the only pure relief pitcher on this list, but given his potential to contribute in Fantasy this season, the ranking is certainly justified. You know how Craig Kimbrel entered last season as the favorite to close for the Braves and wound up being the best reliever in Fantasy? Well, Reed has the potential to do something similar for the White Sox, provided they give him the opportunity to close now that Sergio Santos is in Toronto. No, you shouldn't expect him to set a rookie record for saves or pile up 127 strikeouts, but Reed's 1.47 ERA and 123 strikeouts in 85 2/3 innings between the majors and minors last year look a lot like Kimbrel's numbers during his rise to the majors in 2010. Reed also has experience closing, having done it for Stephen Strasburg while at San Diego State, so the transition would come naturally for him. The White Sox could go any number of directions with the closer role at this point, which is the only reason Reed ranks as low as he does among relief pitchers in Fantasy, but as the roster currently stands, the rookie looks like the leading candidate for saves. He's worth a late-round flier until that changes. (Updated 1/11/12)
With the White Sox in rebuild mode, they might wait to bring Reed up to delay his arbitration clock. The new CBA slightly liberalized the Super Two rule so teams will probably have to delay callups longer if they want to play this game.

With the White Sox in rebuild mode, they might wait to bring Reed up to delay his arbitration clock. The new CBA slightly liberalized the Super Two rule so teams will probably have to delay callups longer if they want to play this game.
I don't believe you were asked to weigh in on this, sir. Hook and Bender, please. TIA. :thumbup:

I don't believe you were asked to weigh in on this, sir. Hook and Bender, please. TIA. :thumbup:
Chasing closers by force of habit

Chasing closers by force of habit
On second thought, you may be the most qualified person in this forum to field that question. Carry on.

Reed pitched for the White Sox last year so I really don't think that is an issue - he will be on the major league roster in April even if he isn't closing

Could be Addison Reed. All going to be predicated upon Spring Training really. Probably a no name guy. Depends on the philosophy of the new management as well. They seem to prefer Thornton as a set up guy in the past as a lefty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread