What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

4 game suspension for M. Bryant (1 Viewer)

Dr. Octopus

Footballguy
NFL suspended Steelers WR Martavis Bryant four games for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.
Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, Bryant is appealing, but this explains why the Steelers have gone to great lengths to talk up Markus Wheaton this summer. It's a massive blow to an offense already missing Le'Veon Bell for Weeks 1 and 2, and severely curbs Bryant's upside appeal after his promising rookie season. Bryant was inactive for Weeks 1-6 last season, but scored eight touchdowns in just 306 snaps upon joining the fray. He played 62-of-76 snaps in the Steelers' Wild Card loss. Bryant's absence puts Wheaton on the WR3 fringes, and forces thus far unimpressive third-rounder Sammie Coates into a role on offense.

with Pouncey and now Bryant the Steelers offense suddenly doesn't seem quite as potent.
Bryant is a much bigger loss than Pouncey IMO.
One is a receiver 2 or 3 who is only missing four games. The other is an all-pro center who may miss the entire season. Pouncey's situation is ten times worse for the Steelers than Bryant's. Only in fantasy football is Bryant's bigger.

So where do you guys think his adp will fall to? In 12 team PPR, 8th round? Maybe 7th round? Wheaton getting to play the first 4 games could hurt Bryant attempt to become the #2 option. Bryant might be left as the #3 the whole season and be an inconsistent producer.

So where do you guys think his adp will fall to? In 12 team PPR, 8th round? Maybe 7th round? Wheaton getting to play the first 4 games could hurt Bryant attempt to become the #2 option. Bryant might be left as the #3 the whole season and be an inconsistent producer.
With WR being so deep, with Wheaton supposedly ahead of him, and with what may have been an unsustainable TD rate anyway, I 'd probably just be happy to let some one else "waste" a roster spot on him in redraft. If we're talking 7th or 8th round, especially, no thanks.

In dynasty maybe he's a good buy low now, but I'm sure none of his owners will be looking sell low.

So right now on opening night we're looking at no Bell,Bryant,Blount and Brady.

Seems like The NFL is sending a lesson to any player who's last name starts with "B".

Antonio better be REAL careful the next two weeks. :yes:

So right now on opening night we're looking at no Bell,Bryant,Blount and Brady.

Seems like The NFL is sending a lesson to any player who's last name starts with "B".

Antonio better be REAL careful the next two weeks. :yes:
Was just going to post something like this (not the "B" reference though). It's crazy that the spotlight kickoff game will be missing so much firepower and big names. What a shame.

With WR being so deep, with Wheaton supposedly ahead of him, and with what may have been an unsustainable TD rate anyway, I 'd probably just be happy to let some one else "waste" a roster spot on him in redraft. If we're talking 7th or 8th round, especially, no thanks.

In dynasty maybe he's a good buy low now, but I'm sure none of his owners will be looking sell low.
You got that right. I still believe in the talent and it's put a bit of damper on my early season outlook, but long term there's a night and day talent gap between Bryant and Wheaton. The cream will rise eventually.

with Pouncey and now Bryant the Steelers offense suddenly doesn't seem quite as potent.
One is a receiver 2 or 3 who is only missing four games. The other is an all-pro center who may miss the entire season. Pouncey's situation is ten times worse for the Steelers than Bryant's. Only in fantasy football is Bryant's bigger.
Disagree. The Steelers have managed to find decent fill-ins for Pouncey before. Bryant was primed for a big year -- I don't think Sammy Coates or DHB are up to it. Hopefully I am wrong.

Marcheatius Bryant out 4 games just like Brady. Everyone cheats in this league.

I traded mike Evans for Alshon Jeffery and m. Bryant in my dynasty league. Still would do that trade even with today's news.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disagree. The Steelers have managed to find decent fill-ins for Pouncey before. Bryant was primed for a big year -- I don't think Sammy Coates or DHB are up to it. Hopefully I am wrong.
Agree. I posted it in another thread. The Steelers went 2013 without Pouncey and they seemed fine. I think their jump in 2014 was a lot more related to Bell no longer being a rookie, Bryant/Wheaton stepping up and Ben gelling more with Haley than Pouncey. That said, the impact of Bryant just missing four games is likely not huge. I just think the loss of Pouncey is way overstated. It is a loss, but he is nowhere near a loss of one of their key skilled folks which would hurt the offense. Bryant isn't on the key level and he's only gone 4 weeks. The passing SOS in weeks 1-4 is average to slightly above average, so it shouldn't be a big hit for the passing offense.

I traded mike Evans for Alshon Jeffery and m. Bryant in my dynasty league. Still would do that trade even with today's news.
Substance abuse policy.
Yes that's a form of cheating. I guess kind of like a little air out of the football.

You got that right. I still believe in the talent and it's put a bit of damper on my early season outlook, but long term there's a night and day talent gap between Bryant and Wheaton. The cream will rise eventually.
Unfortunately, so will the smoke. Josh Gordon has a TON of "cream" in the talent department, yet he is sitting at home.

Owners of Bryant need to factor that in when they decide to hold or sell because in today's NFL, all the talent in the world means nothing when you get that 2nd violation.

Reading that under the new policy, this 4 game suspension indicates that Bryant has tested positive 4 times in 16 months. Dude has problems. Hate to say it, because I traded for him this offseason...but after watching Josh Gordon and Justin Blackmon basically destroy their careers, 4 pops in 16 months becomes a huge red flag. Some of these guys just do not realize what they are risking. He may very well be one of those guys. How dumb can you possibly be?

ETA Link - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/27/four-game-suspension-suggests-multiple-violations-for-martavis-bryant-in-a-year/

nfl confidentiality proves meaningless again

no wonder brady didn't give up his cel phone
Careful "B" deep or the NFL will suspend you next :)
I'll swallow my cel phone before i give it to them!

seriously though, from wonderlic scores to drug suspensions to brady appeal findings information pours out of the NFL offices at an alarming rate

I've normally been a pro-league kind of guy, but if i were a player i would not agree to give them anything more than required. I absolutely see why the union would and should fight blood tests.

Agree. I posted it in another thread. The Steelers went 2013 without Pouncey and they seemed fine. I think their jump in 2014 was a lot more related to Bell no longer being a rookie, Bryant/Wheaton stepping up and Ben gelling more with Haley than Pouncey. That said, the impact of Bryant just missing four games is likely not huge. I just think the loss of Pouncey is way overstated. It is a loss, but he is nowhere near a loss of one of their key skilled folks which would hurt the offense. Bryant isn't on the key level and he's only gone 4 weeks. The passing SOS in weeks 1-4 is average to slightly above average, so it shouldn't be a big hit for the passing offense.
You guys will say that until the absence of that all-pro center gets your QB knocked out for a few weeks. No Ben=tears in the terrible towels.

We're all terribly thrilled to hear the news.

I'll swallow my cel phone before i give it to them!

seriously though, from wonderlic scores to drug suspensions to brady appeal findings information pours out of the NFL offices at an alarming rate

I've normally been a pro-league kind of guy, but if i were a player i would not agree to give them anything more than required. I absolutely see why the union would and should fight blood tests.
Absolutely. They can't be trusted with any confidential info. I know the media is somehow exempt to that type of reporting to the public but don't ya think the employees that hold this info are violating some policies when they leak the info?

I'll swallow my cel phone before i give it to them!seriously though, from wonderlic scores to drug suspensions to brady appeal findings information pours out of the NFL offices at an alarming rate

Or, how bout these knuckleheads obey the substance abuse policy?

You guys will say that until the absence of that all-pro center gets your QB knocked out for a few weeks. No Ben=tears in the terrible towels.
That could happen but where Pouncey really shines is in the running game and his ability to pull. That is where Pouncey will be missed -- most likely not as a pass blocker. At least that has been the case in the past.

yeah, that steelers O lost its luster pretty fast this last week. this is definitely having a big impact on ben for me, although i'm not sure it should. it's only 4 games and if they don't score a TD with a 70 yard bomb to bryant, they just might score it with 3 or 4 passes to bryant and wheaton.

Substance abuse policy.
Yes that's a form of cheating. I guess kind of like a little air out of the football.
The substance abuse policy covers things like cocaine, PCP, marijuana, opioids, amphetamines, and alcohol.

Performance enhancing drugs are covered under a different policy.

That could happen but where Pouncey really shines is in the running game and his ability to pull. That is where Pouncey will be missed -- most likely not as a pass blocker. At least that has been the case in the past.
Understood and agree. I'm just speaking from the general premise of how O-lines work together and losing your center can disrupt the communication, etc. Ben is a big boy and has been healthy for two years now (relatively speaking) but nobody wants to see him getting blown up on bad miscommunication. To me,. that is the worst case scenario for the Steelers.

Substance abuse policy.
The substance abuse policy covers things like cocaine, PCP, marijuana, opioids, amphetamines, and alcohol.Performance enhancing drugs are covered under a different policy.
Oh my bad I thought the article said PED. Early reports in camp was he put in 10 lbs of muscle. Thanks for clarification.

I'm so confused with this story. Did the Steelers know that he had failed a drug test? Is this information not discoverable? How come none of the reporters knew this ahead of time? Why only now is this information becoming public knowledge?

I'm so confused with this story. Did the Steelers know that he had failed a drug test? Is this information not discoverable? How come none of the reporters knew this ahead of time? Why only now is this information becoming public knowledge?
If it is true that he had to fail 4 times in 16 months then I got to think the Steelers have known this was coming.

If it is true that he had to fail 4 times in 16 months then I got to think the Steelers have known this was coming.
If he had a problem coming out of college, that could conceivably skip the first step.

If he had a problem coming out of college, that could conceivably skip the first step.
So drug testing information is kept private by the teams until there is official action by the NFL? There is no weekly report from the NFL office about who has failed a drug test? Serious question. I just can't see why nobody knew this was coming and the Steelers were able to play things very close to the vest. I guess I don't understand the NFL drug policy and how transparent or not the process is.

Yet another reason to draft the weekend before the season starts. A suspension is essentially an injury in terms of fantasy football. Sucks for the people who drafted his as a WR2 and now have to go scouring the waiver wire for the Kenny Britts and Andre Holmes of the league.

But Wheaton is a nice young receiver too. And it's only four games. If Pouncey were only missing four games, I would agree with you.

only now?

legally it cannot be public knowledge until his appeal is done

i am not sure when the team knows, but we should not know

the NFL has leaked confidential information about a players urine tests, par for the course

the NFL has leaked confidential information about a players urine tests, par for the course
I haven't seen anything to indicate that the source is the league, or anywhere else. This just as easily could have come out of the Stillers house. If there's an active appeal, the team has been informed of the failed test.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that the source is the league, or anywhere else. This just as easily could have come out of the Stillers house. If there's an active appeal, the team has been informed of the failed test.
so the NFL office may not have leaked it maybe one of their franchises did

That makes me feel much better..

I noted in my preseason week 1 summary that I thought it was odd Coates was getting so many targets...now it makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread