What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

4 game suspension for M. Bryant (1 Viewer)

with Pouncey and now Bryant the Steelers offense suddenly doesn't seem quite as potent.
Bryant is a much bigger loss than Pouncey IMO.
One is a receiver 2 or 3 who is only missing four games. The other is an all-pro center who may miss the entire season. Pouncey's situation is ten times worse for the Steelers than Bryant's. Only in fantasy football is Bryant's bigger.
Disagree. The Steelers have managed to find decent fill-ins for Pouncey before. Bryant was primed for a big year -- I don't think Sammy Coates or DHB are up to it. Hopefully I am wrong.
But Wheaton is a nice young receiver too. And it's only four games. If Pouncey were only missing four games, I would agree with you.
I know said this before, but Wheaton was 1a and Cooks 1b when both were at Oregon St......for whatever reason Big Ben and Wheaton have not been able to be on the same page consistently. This is his chance to shine.

Major blow to Big Ben's prospects of entering the elite QB tier. He's back to bottom-end QB1 status, at best IMO, if Martavis goes the Josh Gordon route. Even worse if Wheaton isn't a serviceable WR2.

I really had high hopes for him, and of course he can still be a great WR in the league. The knucklehead factor is hard to predict though. These four games could just be a blip on the radar, or this could be the beginning of him flipping burgers for a living.

dansav said:
Marcheatius Bryant out 4 games just like Brady. Everyone cheats in this league.
The major difference here is that nobody invested in the team seems to be crying about how unfair life is, and how everybody is out to get them because they got caught cheating.They mostly seem pissed at and disappointed in their guy for ####### up.

If Pats fans took that tack, they wouldn't be coming off as such tools. Take notes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Major blow to Big Ben's prospects of entering the elite QB tier. He's back to bottom-end QB1 status, at best IMO, if Martavis goes the Josh Gordon route. Even worse if Wheaton isn't a serviceable WR2.
His stats from last year were 26/549/8.

I don't think anybody except Rodgers and Luck can be considered elite, but that's a matter of opinion.

Ben threw for 4952 yards and 32 TDs. Bryant's TDs will go elsewhere. I think he's still a high end QB1 and I'd put him in the same tier as Brees and Manning.

And what's with all the Steelers smoking weed? Bell, Blount, and now Martavis Bryant? I hope Big Ben and Antonio Bryant keep their noses clean.

karmarooster said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Ilov80s said:
Was it weed?
usually 4 game first offense suspension is for PEDs
Wasn't gordon's first suspension for 4 games? Before the year suspension and the other year suspension.
The NFL implemented a new Substance Abuse Policy late last year, which is more lenient than the one that Gordon violated multiple times.

From what I can tell, under the current policy, Bryant was in Stage II and tested positive. A player gets into Stage II through some combination of two failed tests or incidents of behavior (think arrests) involving substance abuse within a certain period of time, usually 90 days, but up to 180+ days. A four game suspension suggests this is Bryant's first violation within Stage II. Stage II lasts up to two years. A second violation in Stage II results in a suspension of six games and moves the player into Stage III. A player remains in Stage III for the rest of his career, unless he gets an exception from the NFL medical director after being in Stage III for at least two years (no idea what that entails). Violations in Stage III lead to an indefinite banishment from the NFL which must last at least one year, except for a first violation due to ganja in Stage III, which will result in a 10 game suspension.

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Active%20Players/Drug_SOA_Policy_9-29-14.pdf

In short, Bryant is one strike away from a six game suspension and a move into Stage III.

I am heavily invested in this guy and can't decide which is more ludicrous.

1. Getting penalized this bad for smoking weed (which I adore)

Or...

2. Risking losing millions and millions of dollars because I couldn't quit smoking weed for 10 years.

NFL policy aside, many people clearly lack the ability to predict the consequences of their actions.

I am heavily invested in this guy and can't decide which is more ludicrous.

1. Getting penalized this bad for smoking weed (which I adore)

Or...

2. Risking losing millions and millions of dollars because I couldn't quit smoking weed for 10 years.

NFL policy aside, many people clearly lack the ability to predict the consequences of their actions.
Both are stupid but I think risking millions of dollars trumps the NFL policy.

I'm not sure on what he is basing his appeal on. I'm thinking that being a knucklehead is not going to fly as a valid excuse.

Shutout said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
Dr. Octopus said:
Fantasysports1 said:
So where do you guys think his adp will fall to? In 12 team PPR, 8th round? Maybe 7th round? Wheaton getting to play the first 4 games could hurt Bryant attempt to become the #2 option. Bryant might be left as the #3 the whole season and be an inconsistent producer.
With WR being so deep, with Wheaton supposedly ahead of him, and with what may have been an unsustainable TD rate anyway, I 'd probably just be happy to let some one else "waste" a roster spot on him in redraft. If we're talking 7th or 8th round, especially, no thanks.

In dynasty maybe he's a good buy low now, but I'm sure none of his owners will be looking sell low.
You got that right. I still believe in the talent and it's put a bit of damper on my early season outlook, but long term there's a night and day talent gap between Bryant and Wheaton. The cream will rise eventually.
Unfortunately, so will the smoke. Josh Gordon has a TON of "cream" in the talent department, yet he is sitting at home.

Owners of Bryant need to factor that in when they decide to hold or sell because in today's NFL, all the talent in the world means nothing when you get that 2nd violation.
This. More than likely he won't put down the WEED.He's a guy I won't be looking to trade for.

Shutout said:
stbugs said:
Godsbrother said:
JuniorNB said:
Godsbrother said:
Banger said:
with Pouncey and now Bryant the Steelers offense suddenly doesn't seem quite as potent.
Bryant is a much bigger loss than Pouncey IMO.
One is a receiver 2 or 3 who is only missing four games. The other is an all-pro center who may miss the entire season. Pouncey's situation is ten times worse for the Steelers than Bryant's. Only in fantasy football is Bryant's bigger.
Disagree. The Steelers have managed to find decent fill-ins for Pouncey before. Bryant was primed for a big year -- I don't think Sammy Coates or DHB are up to it. Hopefully I am wrong.
Agree. I posted it in another thread. The Steelers went 2013 without Pouncey and they seemed fine. I think their jump in 2014 was a lot more related to Bell no longer being a rookie, Bryant/Wheaton stepping up and Ben gelling more with Haley than Pouncey. That said, the impact of Bryant just missing four games is likely not huge. I just think the loss of Pouncey is way overstated. It is a loss, but he is nowhere near a loss of one of their key skilled folks which would hurt the offense. Bryant isn't on the key level and he's only gone 4 weeks. The passing SOS in weeks 1-4 is average to slightly above average, so it shouldn't be a big hit for the passing offense.
You guys will say that until the absence of that all-pro center gets your QB knocked out for a few weeks. No Ben=tears in the terrible towels.
I'm a Panthers fan, just went and did a little research since Pouncey was out for the entire year in 2013. I looked at 2012-2014 (Haley years) and it seemed to me that the progression of Ben learning the O and Brown, Bryant, Wheaton and Bell's progressions appear to me to be more important to the O than Pouncey. I am not saying they are better off without him, but in the other thread I didn't feel the doom and gloom for Pouncey being out was warranted. They made the same improvement in 2012 to 2013 with Pouncey out for the whole year and no Bryant, a rookie Bell and a rookie Wheaton.

The only guy I honestly think this hurts is Miller. He took a decent dip in 2013 compared to 2012. Maybe he was asked to block more or maybe Ben got really comfortable with Brown, not sure. Either way, I don't think the loss of Pouncey is as big as you think.

Obviously if you already drafted Bryant, you are pissed, but if your draft is coming up, lower him a couple rounds and enjoy him for 12 games. Last year he didnt play in about 6 games, and had a pretty strong rookie season. Its 4 games, might come down to 3 in appeal, IDK. But saying its more Pouncey than X or Y, or Ben isnt elite, or Brown's numbers go up....calm down.

Bryant was ALWAYS WR3, Wheaton is WR2, Heath Miller is still going to get 3-6 catches/game. Sammie Coates might play the deep role the first couple games. Draft him then dump him after 4 weeks.

So did PA legalize cannabis or something? L.Bell didn't know you couldn't drive stoned. Blount was busted. Now M.Bryant. I think I'm going to become a caregiver for the Steelers :) .

Obviously if you already drafted Bryant, you are pissed, but if your draft is coming up, lower him a couple rounds and enjoy him for 12 games. Last year he didnt play in about 6 games, and had a pretty strong rookie season. Its 4 games, might come down to 3 in appeal, IDK. But saying its more Pouncey than X or Y, or Ben isnt elite, or Brown's numbers go up....calm down.

Bryant was ALWAYS WR3, Wheaton is WR2, Heath Miller is still going to get 3-6 catches/game. Sammie Coates might play the deep role the first couple games. Draft him then dump him after 4 weeks.
Yeah - that is what I thought about Josh Gordon not too long ago.

Users who are viewing this thread