What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

5 reasons to trade Chris Brown NOW (1 Viewer)

NoCheese

turn or burn
Let me preface this thread by saying that I'm not suggesting trading Chris Brown just to trade him, but if you can get an equal back (Portis, Deuce, Edge, etc) I'd strongly consider it and take my chances with them Now, here are the 5 reasons I believe Chris Brown should be traded while his value is still high.......................................................................................................................1) He's got nerve damage - I know most posters think this is no big deal, and maybe it's not, but after a hit like he took this past Sunday, don't you think he'll be a little apprehensive going forward regarding contact now?2) Upright running style - He makes an awfully nice, big target and is hardly elusive in his running style.3) Struggles in short yardage - 2 things here 1) All of his TD's have come from 20+ yards, and long TD's are difficult to predict. Also, this is just a hunch, but I think Antowain Smith may become more involved in short yardage situations to keep the mileage off of Chris and also because he's a decent short yardage back in his own right (just not an every down back). I understand there is no precedent for Fisher using a short yardage back, but that's because Eddie George was an iron man from 1996-2003, so there was no need for that.4) The team is struggling. Here are their point totals from their 1st 6 games: 17, 17, 12, 17, 48, and 10. With the exception of the Green Bay game, they've been held to 1-2 TD's in each game. Not a good sign for the offense. ALSO, 3 of their 4 losses have been by 10+ points, so they may be playing from behind a lot.5) History of injuries - He's missed parts of 2 games now this year (2 halves or the equivalent of 1 game). He was injured much of last year in his rookie season with a hamstring injury, and was hardly durable in his collegiate career, which was the knock on him coming into the league and hence, the reason he was not selected until very late in the 3rd round of the draft. He's done nothing so far to silence his critics in this area........................................................................................................................Now let me add that the Titans schedule looks very promising in the weeks ahead, and Brown is a very talented running back, but my concerns are more pertaining to his durability, and given the fact that he is ranked HIGHER than Deuce, Clinton, and Dillon (to name a few). IF he is completely healthy the rest of the year, he will be TOP 5, no question, but I just don't see it. My point is that I would rather take my chances with a comprable back if I could get even value for him in trade.

Is this a LHUCKS alias or something?Oddly enough I was just thinking about trade possiblities I may get for Brown though.

You could make 5 reasons to trade any of the top backs. Every RB has question marks surrounding them.
True, but NoCheese makes some excellent points above.Not sure I could make as strong a case for trading away most of the other current top-10 backs.And he acknowledges the other side - the relatively easy upcoming schedule.Biggest knock on Chris Brown is he tends to get dinged up - and now he has been knocked out of two of the Titans firs seven games.

You could make 5 reasons to trade any of the top backs. Every RB has question marks surrounding them.
You're probably right, so I challenge you to do the same with other Top 10 backs. I think you may be a little more hard pressed to find 5 solid reasons, though.

I'm hoping he produces well this week so he can show no lingering effects of injury -- people are leery of him right now.

I just made this comment about D. Davis, and I think it applies to C. Brown as well - he's a guy who seems to be prone to getting nicked up during games and not finishing them. And from a fantasy standpoint, that's frustrating as all hell. Because he is so explosive and has put up such good numbers, you can't bench him for fear that he's not going to finish a game.

an aside - why don't brown owners try trading him for randy moss? i'm a moss owner and the brown owner in my league (who also has a RB surplus) just offered me an interesting trade.

I, for one, compliment you NoCheese on a well-thought post - especially for this being your first day in the deep end.Good job.

1) He's got nerve damage - I know most posters think this is no big deal, and maybe it's not, but after a hit like he took this past Sunday, don't you think he'll be a little apprehensive going forward regarding contact now?2) Upright running style - He makes an awfully nice, big target and is hardly elusive in his running style.
I'm sorry but reason #1 is bogus. This guy will not be apprehensive about contact going forward. Maybe little Johnny from Piedmont High but not a pro RB. The first moment he shows he's scared to hit someone his career is over, that's the worst thing you can do in the NFL.Reason #2 is a myth as well. What injury has he received due to his upright running style. An ankle vs. Miami and now the shoulder from one of the most brutal collisions you'll ever see. I'm surprised he got up to tell you the truth because the Hou DB didn't.

5 reasons to trade Deuce1. Their team is struggling - New Orleans is 2-4 and has THE worst defense in the entire league in yards. New Orleans is not goign to be able to stay in the game and establish the run, they will have to pass from behind always.2. He gets dinged up easily - He has missed 3 games due to an ankle injury this season already.3. Tough run defenses in upcoming schedule - plays Atlanta TWICE, San Diego, Denver.4. He has not been involved in passing game - he only has 5 catches on the whole season.5. He has a sore ankle - Don't you think he will be a little apprehensive when making a cut now after hurting his ankle.TRADE DEUCE NOW!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can find 5 subtle reasons to trade any top RB. You dig deep enough and give lame reasons such as...runs too upright, not a short yardage back and he has nerve damage, and you can find reasons for every RB.EVERY RB has questions and concerns surrounding them, but you are just going to trade for another RB who has questions and concerns as well.

To really accomplish the stated objective of this post (i.e., trade Chris Brown for "fair value" -- based upon his Y-T-D production), I think one has to wait for Week 7 to come and go and hopefully demonstrate that CBrown is healthy and hopefully productive (nice mathup with Minn). Otherwise, the fact that CBrown will be listed on this week's injury report (even though I think most assume that he will play) will dictate somewhat of a discounted value.In one of my leagues in which I have a surplus of QBs, I am thinking of packaging him with either Brady or Bulger in exchange for Priest Holmes (to a team that platoons Brunell. Simms and Griese).

IF he is completely healthy the rest of the year, he will be TOP 5, no question
Even if he is completely healthy, reasons 2, 3, and 4 make this conclusion very specious.A completely healthy Brown still doesn't outperform:PriestLTAlexanderEdgeDeucePortisDroughnsAt 100% he's even money to match guys like Martin, Tiki, Green, Westbrook, Dillon, Lewis from here on out.JMHO.

Let me preface this thread by saying that I'm not suggesting trading Chris Brown just to trade him, but if you can get an equal back (Portis, Deuce, Edge, etc) I'd strongly consider it and take my chances with them Now, here are the 5 reasons I believe Chris Brown should be traded while his value is still high.......................................................................................................................1) He's got nerve damage - I know most posters think this is no big deal, and maybe it's not, but after a hit like he took this past Sunday, don't you think he'll be a little apprehensive going forward regarding contact now?2) Upright running style - He makes an awfully nice, big target and is hardly elusive in his running style.3) Struggles in short yardage - 2 things here 1) All of his TD's have come from 20+ yards, and long TD's are difficult to predict. Also, this is just a hunch, but I think Antowain Smith may become more involved in short yardage situations to keep the mileage off of Chris and also because he's a decent short yardage back in his own right (just not an every down back). I understand there is no precedent for Fisher using a short yardage back, but that's because Eddie George was an iron man from 1996-2003, so there was no need for that.4) The team is struggling. Here are their point totals from their 1st 6 games: 17, 17, 12, 17, 48, and 10. With the exception of the Green Bay game, they've been held to 1-2 TD's in each game. Not a good sign for the offense. ALSO, 3 of their 4 losses have been by 10+ points, so they may be playing from behind a lot.5) History of injuries - He's missed parts of 2 games now this year (2 halves or the equivalent of 1 game). He was injured much of last year in his rookie season with a hamstring injury, and was hardly durable in his collegiate career, which was the knock on him coming into the league and hence, the reason he was not selected until very late in the 3rd round of the draft. He's done nothing so far to silence his critics in this area........................................................................................................................Now let me add that the Titans schedule looks very promising in the weeks ahead, and Brown is a very talented running back, but my concerns are more pertaining to his durability, and given the fact that he is ranked HIGHER than Deuce, Clinton, and Dillon (to name a few). IF he is completely healthy the rest of the year, he will be TOP 5, no question, but I just don't see it. My point is that I would rather take my chances with a comprable back if I could get even value for him in trade.
:goodposting:

:goodposting:
:bs:

In a redraft league, just traded: Chris Brown/Lav Coles FOR Portis and Andre Johnson. He was down on Portis (and high on Brown) and both players I received are on bye. He's 2-4 and can't afford to go 2-5. I thought this may be pertinent to the topic.

IF he is completely healthy the rest of the year, he will be TOP 5, no question
Even if he is completely healthy, reasons 2, 3, and 4 make this conclusion very specious.A completely healthy Brown still doesn't outperform:Droughns
Wow. A little too high on Droughns, no?

In a redraft league, just traded: Chris Brown/Lav Coles FOR Portis and Andre Johnson. He was down on Portis (and high on Brown) and both players I received are on bye. He's 2-4 and can't afford to go 2-5. I thought this may be pertinent to the topic.
Wow I wish people would offer me that. I got the same 2 players and have been offering them to everybody for a #1WR and a good RB and nobody wants to trade their WRs.

Just question to all those saying that you should trade Brown. Have any of you actually looked at his schedule the rest of the way:Oct 24 @Minnesota 1:00pm Oct 31 Cincinnati 1:00pm Week 9 BYE Nov 14 Chicago 1:00pm Nov 21 @Jacksonville 1:00pm Nov 28 @Houston 1:00pm Dec 5 @Indianapolis 1:00pm Dec 13 Kansas City 9:00pm Dec 19 @Oakland 4:15pm Dec 25 Denver 8:30pm Jan 2 Detroit 1:00pm :shock: :excited: :thumbup: even missing a little bit of time here and there with these teams on Tenn's plate I can' tsee any way possible that he does not have a few huge weeks and/or great production till seasons end. Much like Portis last year. He may be dinged up and cause you a few headaches from week to week, but when he's playing he should be GOLDEN!

I, for one, compliment you NoCheese on a well-thought post - especially for this being your first day in the deep end.Good job.
Which is why I say Alias. :unsure:
Actually, not an alias. Been luring on these boards for 2 years. Just decided to join and share my (limited) knowledge ;)

Let me tackle these point by point:

1) He's got nerve damage - I know most posters think this is no big deal, and maybe it's not, but after a hit like he took this past Sunday, don't you think he'll be a little apprehensive going forward regarding contact now?
I don't know if he had nerve damage. It was suspected...don't know if it was ever confirmed but since feeling has come back into the arm...it may have been a temporary occurrence.
2) Upright running style - He makes an awfully nice, big target and is hardly elusive in his running style.
While he is an upright runner, he has shown "wiggle" ability and some shiftiness. That said he will take more of a pounding which could lead to him wearing down toward seasons end.
3) Struggles in short yardage - 2 things here 1) All of his TD's have come from 20+ yards, and long TD's are difficult to predict. Also, this is just a hunch, but I think Antowain Smith may become more involved in short yardage situations to keep the mileage off of Chris and also because he's a decent short yardage back in his own right (just not an every down back). I understand there is no precedent for Fisher using a short yardage back, but that's because Eddie George was an iron man from 1996-2003, so there was no need for that.
When I've seen the Titans play, in most of the short yardage situation I saw Brown not convert on...it didn't seem like he had a chance when you look at the penetration the D-Line got. But I think as he develops and understands what is required of him on short yardage situations...he can be more effective in this area.
4) The team is struggling. Here are their point totals from their 1st 6 games: 17, 17, 12, 17, 48, and 10. With the exception of the Green Bay game, they've been held to 1-2 TD's in each game. Not a good sign for the offense. ALSO, 3 of their 4 losses have been by 10+ points, so they may be playing from behind a lot.
To me, this screams of "buy low" when talking about the Titans offense. Steve McNair is too good of a QB to keep playing as badly and as inconsistently as he has and I would say that if they can re-establish better balance between the run and passing games, that can only bode well for Brown.
5) History of injuries - He's missed parts of 2 games now this year (2 halves or the equivalent of 1 game). He was injured much of last year in his rookie season with a hamstring injury, and was hardly durable in his collegiate career, which was the knock on him coming into the league and hence, the reason he was not selected until very late in the 3rd round of the draft. He's done nothing so far to silence his critics in this area.
You know, Deuce McAllister falls into the frequently injured in college category and he's turned out to be an extremely tough and courageous RB. Brown isn't in that category, but it's very early in his career. He probably has to develop more toughness, but if you can't feel your arm, you can't feel your arm. I don't know if that pre-disposes him to future injury in that area. He logged carries in 11 games in 2003 as far as I can tell...so I think s it's a misnomer to state "he missed a majority of his rookie season".If this post was made last week, I would be more open to it, but he's coming off a subpar performance and one in which he suffered a "gray area" injury. But I like what I've seen of him thus far and if he can come back and play well against MIN, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider this alternative.

1) He's got nerve damage - I know most posters think this is no big deal, and maybe it's not, but after a hit like he took this past Sunday, don't you think he'll be a little apprehensive going forward regarding contact now?
Don't you think this is kind of a reach. That's like saying I hit my "funny bone" on the corner of my desk today and my arm went numb. Therefore I should shy away from my desk so I never hit my funny bone again. :loco: Overall some valid points. Like to see you take a close look at A. Green, McAllister, Alexander too. Betcha could find more than a couple reasons to move them too.My biggest gripe with Brown is his not finishing games. That's the real killer. :wall: Willie

Of course we should trade him for Portis Duece and Edge. They were all #1 draft picks this year. Brown I got as a #3 pick. I doubt anyone will give you those 3 guys but hell I would jump all over them if I could get them. When did Brown go ahead of those 3 as far as guys you want? He hasnt for me thats for sure so of course Id rather have them than Brown. I woulda got those guys from the beginning if I could have. :loco: :rolleyes: :cry: All the guys you mention in your post were drafted before Brown for good reason. They are more predictable to score more fantasy points the rest of the year. Just as they were at the beginning of the year. Alot of the reasons you stated in your post is why he wasnt ranked as high as those guys to begin the season so I dont think you told us anything we didnt already know. We drafted Brown cuz we couldnt get the best and highest ranked runners so we took a chance on Brown and still are. :X

Of course we should trade him for Portis Duece and Edge. They were all #1 draft picks this year. Brown I got as a #3 pick. I doubt anyone will give you those 3 guys but hell I would jump all over them if I could get them. When did Brown go ahead of those 3 as far as guys you want?
Edge is the only one I'd want ahead of Brown. Deuce would be close. Portis not so much. Brown is the #2 rusher in the NFL, has shown big play ability, and has a reasonably favorable schedule from here on out. Why would YOU want Portis or DM ahead of Brown?COlin

Of course we should trade him for Portis Duece and Edge. They were all #1 draft picks this year. Brown I got as a #3 pick. I doubt anyone will give you those 3 guys but hell I would jump all over them if I could get them. When did Brown go ahead of those 3 as far as guys you want?
Edge is the only one I'd want ahead of Brown. Deuce would be close. Portis not so much. Brown is the #2 rusher in the NFL, has shown big play ability, and has a reasonably favorable schedule from here on out. Why would YOU want Portis or DM ahead of Brown?COlin
I'm aiming for Alexander, personally. I'm packaging Brown + a WR for SA.

Potis and McAllister both still have more talent than that of Brown. If Wash can get any resemblance of a passing attack going and McAllister can stay on the field I would def rather have both of them. Basically Just because these 2 guys have been down thus far taht does not mean they are out yet. The talent and potential is still very much so there.

Of course we should trade him for Portis Duece and Edge. They were all #1 draft picks this year. Brown I got as a #3 pick. I doubt anyone will give you those 3 guys but hell I would jump all over them if I could get them. When did Brown go ahead of those 3 as far as guys you want? He hasnt for me thats for sure so of course Id rather have them than Brown. I woulda got those guys from the beginning if I could have. :loco: :rolleyes: :cry: All the guys you mention in your post were drafted before Brown for good reason. They are more predictable to score more fantasy points the rest of the year. Just as they were at the beginning of the year. Alot of the reasons you stated in your post is why he wasnt ranked as high as those guys to begin the season so I dont think you told us anything we didnt already know. We drafted Brown cuz we couldnt get the best and highest ranked runners so we took a chance on Brown and still are. :X
Mr Skoal-It is irrelevant at this point where someone was drafted. In the Top 200 forward, Brown is ranked ahead of Portis, Dillon, Deuce, etc. That is really the basis for this discussion. Would you be better off trading Brown now if you can get his fair value (which is very high, BTW)?

Ok, not to hijack, but going forward which uncertainty is worse, a guy like Curtis Martin being on the wrong side of 28 with a tough schedule ahead or a young but potentially injury-prone player with an easy schedule? Which kind of player do you want down the stretch?

Mr Skoal-It is irrelevant at this point where someone was drafted. In the Top 200 forward, Brown is ranked ahead of Portis, Dillon, Deuce, etc. That is really the basis for this discussion. Would you be better off trading Brown now if you can get his fair value (which is very high, BTW)?
Well whoever you got your rankings from dont know what thier doing. No one in my league would even consider trading those guys to me for Brown. We all know Brown is a risk and apparently the ranking so called experts should reevaluate those runners because there is no way Brown should be ranked ahead of them. Also when trading it does matter where you drafted the guy because the people your trading with will say well I drafted Portis 1st round and you got Brown 3rd round so they would not be as willing to make that trade. :X

Well whoever you got your rankings from dont know what thier doing. No one in my league would even consider trading those guys to me for Brown. We all know Brown is a risk and apparently the ranking so called experts should reevaluate those runners because there is no way Brown should be ranked ahead of them. Also when trading it does matter where you drafted the guy because the people your trading with will say well I drafted Portis 1st round and you got Brown 3rd round so they would not be as willing to make that trade. :X
:goodposting: They're coming out of the woodworks...surprise, surprise. :ph34r:

:goodposting: They're coming out of the woodworks...surprise, surprise. :ph34r:
People won't trade you Portis or Deuce for Brown. Ha! See how right I was.

I'm aiming for Alexander, personally. I'm packaging Brown + a WR for SA.
So you would rather have Brown over those other guys? I wish you were in my league geesh. :loco:

Is this a LHUCKS alias or something?
:lol: It's probably someone's.Not many people that sign up in the middle of the season come in and make a well thought out post as soon as their log-in gets approved.Where's Maxwell to do an "Alias Hangman".

Of course we should trade him for Portis Duece and Edge. They were all #1 draft picks this year. Brown I got as a #3 pick. I doubt anyone will give you those 3 guys but hell I would jump all over them if I could get them. When did Brown go ahead of those 3 as far as guys you want? He hasnt for me thats for sure so of course Id rather have them than Brown. I woulda got those guys from the beginning if I could have.  :loco:   :rolleyes:   :cry: All the guys you mention in your post were drafted before Brown for good reason. They are more predictable to score more fantasy points the rest of the year. Just as they were at the beginning of the year. Alot of the reasons you stated in your post is why he wasnt ranked as high as those guys to begin the season so I dont think you told us anything we didnt already know. We drafted Brown cuz we couldnt get the best and highest ranked runners so we took a chance on Brown and still are.  :X
I'm in the same situation, no one in my league would give up those guys for Brown. While they have seen Brown put up monster numbers for my team, they've also seen him sitting on the sidelines in my team's 2 losses this year due to his leaving the game early with injuries. I offered up Brown/R Smith for J Lewis/Burress and I'm pretty sure the owner will take it. Brown does have a nice schedule down the stretch but he needs to be on the field in order to benefit from it.

Umm.....I got the rankings from this site. Most fantasy players I know look at current and future value, not where someone was drafted. Using that logic, I should easily be able to get Andre Johnson for Travis Henry, because Henry was taken 2 rounds earlier than AJ. That doesn't make much sense. Maybe there's a psychological barrier to trading an early round pick, but I would supsect people who use the logic you mention aren't very good owners.

FWIW, I have been offered some very interesting trades for C.Brown thus far. The most notable of which included the likes of Alexander and Taylor. Now before you get all worked up, the Alex deal also included me giving up Holt ( :( ). I think there are plenty of people out there who would be willing to give up a RB in line with McAllister, Portis, Alexander, ect. Brown has a very favorable sched heading into the 2nd half of the season and if Tenn gets things rolling he could become HUGE. There are very few players in my squad that are pretty much untouchable right now and Brown is one of them (Portis and Lefty are the others).

an aside - why don't brown owners try trading him for randy moss? i'm a moss owner and the brown owner in my league (who also has a RB surplus) just offered me an interesting trade.
After week 5 I did trade Brown straight up for Randy Moss. Now it's Moss that's dinged up and looking at missing a game. :rant:

Well whoever you got your rankings from dont know what thier doing. No one in my league would even consider trading those guys to me for Brown. We all know Brown is a risk and apparently the ranking so called experts should reevaluate those runners because there is no way Brown should be ranked ahead of them. Also when trading it does matter where you drafted the guy because the people your trading with will say well I drafted Portis 1st round and you got Brown 3rd round so they would not be as willing to make that trade.  :X
Umm.....I got the rankings from this site. Most fantasy players I know look at current and future value, not where someone was drafted. Using that logic, I should easily be able to get Andre Johnson for Travis Henry, because Henry was taken 2 rounds earlier than AJ. That doesn't make much sense. Maybe there's a psychological barrier to trading an early round pick, but I would supsect people who use the logic you mention aren't very good owners.
Well maybe you should try watching the games and make up your own mind in who is better and more valuable instead of relying on someone else to tell you who to pick and trade for. If they told you to trade Holmes for Brian westbrook would you do that too? Some of us have minds of our own and know that Brown isnt as valuable as Edge or Portis but if they tell you to trade then go ahead and make the trade. I just hope they dont tell you to jump off a bridge. :yucky:

Users who are viewing this thread