What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

50 Heaviest Songs Before Black Sabbath (1 Viewer)

I don't see any tracks off of Jeff Beck's Truth.
:goodposting:
Beck solo might be one of the biggest slights here, but at least he was represented by the Yardbirds. When you only have a few minor quibbles in a list of 50, you know the authors did a good job.
Yeah, but some tracks off of Tony Williams' Lifetime with John McLaughlin and Larry Young are heavier than any CCR, but that's me nitpicking.
Tony Williams was a bad mofo.

Beck solo might be one of the biggest slights here, but at least he was represented by the Yardbirds. When you only have a few minor quibbles in a list of 50, you know the authors did a good job.
Yeah, but some tracks off of Tony Williams' Lifetime with John McLaughlin and Larry Young are heavier than any CCR, but that's me nitpicking.
Williams and Jimi Hendrix had planned to do some recording together that never came to fruition unfortunately. That would had been something to behold.

I can't find it on YouTube, but "A Famous Blues" off of Emergency or Turn It Over from the late 60's or very early 70's is a track that Williams just rips on. Not guitar laden heavy, but Larry Youngs' Hammond makes the heavy part. Williams' concepts that guys like Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Smith, and Terry Bozzio use today are all over that track, with some nice hand to foot stuff. Really insane drumming that sounds like lightning and thunder (albeit with a cheesy lyric).

drummer said:
Abrantes said:
drummer said:
zamboni said:
Doug B said:
drummer said:
Williams and Jimi Hendrix had planned to do some recording together that never came to fruition unfortunately. That would had been something to behold.

I can't find it on YouTube, but "A Famous Blues" off of Emergency or Turn It Over from the late 60's or very early 70's is a track that Williams just rips on. Not guitar laden heavy, but Larry Youngs' Hammond makes the heavy part. Williams' concepts that guys like Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Smith, and Terry Bozzio use today are all over that track, with some nice hand to foot stuff. Really insane drumming that sounds like lightning and thunder (albeit with a cheesy lyric).
I read the same thing about Hendrix and Miles Davis.

zamboni said:
Leroy Hoard said:
Time Kibitzer said:
Holy #### that High Tide song is badass. Never even heard of those dudes before, definitely gonna have to check out some of their discography.
you have a non-blocked link? I can't find one on youtube. :(
Posted this above: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA33cUJyOGU

Some weird game video, but audio works.
Weird, the very first link when I searched "High Tide - Death Warmed Up" on youtube works just fine for me, the videos must be blocked in the US only I guess. Just to double check, here's one that works for me among others: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY7MZHoGxHY

And after checking some of the other videos, the song used in that video you linked is not the actual song despite the uploaders claims.

Last edited by a moderator:
zamboni said:
Leroy Hoard said:
Time Kibitzer said:
Holy #### that High Tide song is badass. Never even heard of those dudes before, definitely gonna have to check out some of their discography.
you have a non-blocked link? I can't find one on youtube. :(
Posted this above: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA33cUJyOGU

Some weird game video, but audio works.
Weird, the very first link when I searched "High Tide - Death Warmed Up" on youtube works just fine for me, the videos must be blocked in the US only I guess. Just to double check, here's one that works for me among others: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY7MZHoGxHY

And after checking some of the other videos, the song used in that video you linked is not the actual song despite the uploaders claims.
That link of yours is blocked here - I guess you're not in the U.S..

As for my link, I couldn't vouch for it - not surprised it's not the actual song since it sounds more like New Age mellow music.

Since Beatles is what I know, I'm going to say that the Beatles have a pretty heavy one that proceeds both Helter Skelter and She's So Heavy.

How about Rain???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liJbriVSn9o
If you're going to the pre-Pepper days, I'd go with Tomorrow Never Knows. More psychadelic than anything, but definitely has a bit of a heavy edge.
Yeah, that's a good one. Take 1 was even heavier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaF4GGAvf3I

Since Beatles is what I know, I'm going to say that the Beatles have a pretty heavy one that proceeds both Helter Skelter and She's So Heavy.

How about Rain???

If you're going to the pre-Pepper days, I'd go with Tomorrow Never Knows. More psychadelic than anything, but definitely has a bit of a heavy edge.
i always think of that track as having a really rich, full sound. it's kind of psychedelic but it's just a sign of the times more than anything. doing a little digging on the thread, i stumbled on this peruvian act from '65 - los saicos - and it's kind of awesome.

How about Rain???

i always think of that track as having a really rich, full sound. it's kind of psychedelic but it's just a sign of the times more than anything. doing a little digging on the thread, i stumbled on this peruvian act from '65 - los saicos - and it's kind of awesome.
I consider both Rain and Tomorrow Never Knows more psychedelic than heavy. If I were to put one more heavy song from the Beatles I would go with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fevQPZDyxdk

A song from the same time period that probably doesn't qualify here, but still heavy:

American Woman - The Guess Who

How about Rain???

Love hearing all of the surf rock-esque stuff like this

That Coven song is horrible, but a very interesting band history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coven_(band)

Supposedly they rather than Dio started the "sign of the horns" in music.
R.J. Dio – "I doubt very much if I would be the first one who ever did that. That's like saying I invented the wheel..."

It did become en Vogue after Sabbath's H&H tour
I'm not sure why George Clinton co-opted it, but this was a big thing among P Funk fans in the 70s - who numbered in the millions. If you saw someone flash the sign, you knew they were into the band(s).

This is a pretty good list and it's nice to see some lost bands get some play. Can you imagine what this list would look like if Rolling Stone had done it?

Both the Sonics & the Wailers are unjustly forgotten.

That Coven song is horrible, but a very interesting band history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coven_(band)

Supposedly they rather than Dio started the "sign of the horns" in music.
R.J. Dio – "I doubt very much if I would be the first one who ever did that. That's like saying I invented the wheel..."

It did become en Vogue after Sabbath's H&H tour
I'm not sure why George Clinton co-opted it, but this was a big thing among P Funk fans in the 70s - who numbered in the millions. If you saw someone flash the sign, you knew they were into the band(s).

This is a pretty good list and it's nice to see some lost bands get some play. Can you imagine what this list would look like if Rolling Stone had done it?

Both the Sonics & the Wailers are unjustly forgotten.
Rolling stone would have put in all the songs on LZ I and II, a dozen Beatles songs and a dozen Clapton songs

If "Whipping Post" came out before Sabbath's 1st, then the discussion is over (since we seem to only be discussing white, post-Presley music). THAT is a song sung/played by grown men, not guys playing around with fake fairy tale ####. I love Sabbath, but the difference between the two at this point is like the difference between your father and you pretending to be him when you were 13.

And I'd posit that the heaviest, darkest, scariest record ever is Muddy's "Mannish Boy".

If "Whipping Post" came out before Sabbath's 1st, then the discussion is over (since we seem to only be discussing white, post-Presley music). THAT is a song sung/played by grown men, not guys playing around with fake fairy tale ####. I love Sabbath, but the difference between the two at this point is like the difference between your father and you pretending to be him when you were 13.

And I'd posit that the heaviest, darkest, scariest record ever is Muddy's "Mannish Boy".
Whipping Post was '69, and Black Sabbath's debut album was '70. I like Mannish Boy, but there is a lot heavier and darker blues that came before that.

Whipping Post was '69, and Black Sabbath's debut album was '70. I like Mannish Boy, but there is a lot heavier and darker blues that came before that.
Yeah? Ask the background singers, who sound terrified every time Muddy sings "I'm A MAAAIIIN". Muddy ain't kidding, those ladies are scared to death, and the record makes guys like Robert Plant, Jay Z, and Ozzie sound like the little kids they are. I'm not even talking subject matter; it's the performance that makes it the most frightening thing ever put on vinyl.

Yeah? Ask the background singers, who sound terrified every time Muddy sings "I'm A MAAAIIIN". Muddy ain't kidding, those ladies are scared to death, and the record makes guys like Robert Plant, Jay Z, and Ozzie sound like the little kids they are. I'm not even talking subject matter; it's the performance that makes it the most frightening thing ever put on vinyl.
Yeah. I think the background singers sound like they are having a good time, and are into it. I don't think it sounds scary at all.

Pretty damn good list. Surprising that no Stones songs are in there though...
Given the others on the list, I could see "Satisfaction", "19th Nervous Breakdown" or maybe "Street Fighting Man" getting in there, but maybe the writers didn't view them as "heavy" enough. I don't fault the Stones exclusion though - at least on this type of list.
It would be hard to list a song that's main track is an acoustic guitar and a toy drum kit as heavy. The only electric instrument on the song is the bass. Although the tone of street fighting man does seem "heavy", yes.

Where in the hell is the tune that started it all....

Link Wray - Rumble
:thumbup:

In the documentary It Might Get Loud, guitarist Jimmy Page (of Led Zeppelin) pulls out a 45 RPM single of Rumble, plays it, and describes it as a turning point in his own love of the guitar.

In an interview with Stephen Colbert on April 29, 2013, Iggy Pop stated that he "left school emotionally at that moment" when he first heard "Rumble" at the student union, leading him to pursue music as a career.

Rolling Stone review of Black Sabbath's first album:

Over across the tracks in the industrial side of Cream country lie unskilled laborers like Black Sabbath, which was hyped as a rockin' ritual celebration of the Satanic mass or some such claptrap, something like England's answer to Coven. Well, they're not that bad, but that's about all the credit you can give them.

The whole album is a shuck — despite the murky songtitles and some inane lyrics that sound like Vanilla Fudge paying doggerel tribute to Aleister Crowley, the album has nothing to do with spiritualism, the occult, or anything much except stiff recitations of Cream clichés that sound like the musicians learned them out of a book, grinding on and on with dogged persistence.

Vocals are sparse, most of the album being filled with plodding bass lines over which the lead guitar dribbles wooden Claptonisms from the master's tiredest Cream days. They even have discordant jams with bass and guitar reeling like velocitized speedfreaks all over each other's musical perimeters yet never quite finding synch — just like Cream! But worse.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/black-sabbath-19700917#ixzz3ImuAdSGf

Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread