What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (2 Viewers)

Tom Browning, Cincinnati Reds pitcher ...

dammit ...got guys leaving us that are well past my core kid baseball years

solid starter

and a fan favorite

Wow, I'm shocked and bummed out. Back in 1988, I was living in Cincinnati, going to college living at my Sister and Brother-in-law's home. It's a big three story Victorian, they rented the bottom out, they lived on the 2nd floor and I lived on the 3rd floor. They had a business they ran back then and they were hardly ever home (they traveled 3-4 days per week.) On one occasion, Friday September 16th 1988 I'm in the car with my brother-in-law, he had a car cell phone (he loves gadgets) and the cell phone rings. He answers it and he said to me "do you want to go catch the Reds tonight, free tickets?" And you have to keep in mind that tickets were really inexpensive back then, the Reds play A LOT of games, if you know more than three people and you live in Cincinnati, at some point, you were going to get offered either face value or free tickets to see the Reds back then. Anyway, I'm 20 years old, generally speaking, back then I never turned down free anything let alone free tickets to see the Reds but I was in college, working as an intern, I had a ton of work that weekend and I turned down free tickets. So I missed Tom Browning's perfect game, I heard Marty and Joe call it on 700 WLW but, yeah, I could have seen that game live. . . for free. . . so don't ever turn down free tickets.

RIP Bulldog

I got to watch Pele play once, live, when I was very very young.

I don't remember him or the game much but I remember asking my dad why there were so many people at the game (there was probably 10 times the amount that normally went back then in the 70's) and he simply said "because the king is here"

This one hurts a lot. My dad played with Pele on the Cosmos in the twilight of his career. I remember being in the locker room in Giants stadium, this clueless 6 year old kid, and my dad kneels down next to me and points to Pele and says with a very serious face that this is the greatest man to ever play the sport. Then he brought me over and introduced me and Pele's grinning and ruffling my hair and we got to kick the ball around, and he's laughing like he's having the greatest time in the world. Got to watch them practice quite a bit and he was the most unassuming superstar, just a terrific all around person, happy to talk to anyone with no attitude. What a loss.

Last edited:
This one hurts a lot. My dad played with Pele on the Cosmos in the twilight of his career. I remember being in the locker room in Giants stadium, this clueless 6 year old kid, and my dad kneels down next to me and points to Pele and says with a very serious face that this is the greatest man to ever play the sport. Then he brought me over and introduced me and Pele's grinning and ruffling my hair and we got to kick the ball around, and he's laughing like he's having the greatest time in the world. Got to watch them practice quite a bit and he was the most unassuming superstar, just a terrific all around person, happy to talk to anyone with no attitude. What a loss.
Awesome story, thanks for sharing.
I was never into soccer growing up because it just wasn't very big in my area, but even me, a kid growing up in podunk USA, knew Pele was the GOAT of soccer. That nugget scored me many a crossword puzzle entries. Today I watched several YouTube videos of his highlights. Dude was amazing, and I can only imagine how many players of today (and past years) that he inspired. May he R.I.P.

Barbara Walters age 93
Reminds me of a hot summer and an old Johnny Carson Carnak the Magician gag that he did 40 years ago when Carnak said.
Carnak the Magician: 93 and sultry.
Ed McMahon chimes in: 93 and sultry.
Carnak shoots him a glare, rips open the envelope and blows it open and reads.
Carnak the Magician: Who is Barbra Walters.

Canadian folksinger Ian Tyson, 89. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ian-tyson-dead-at-89-1.6699778

Probably best known for writing Four Strong Winds, an iconic song in Canada that was covered by Neil Young, among others.
To me, Ian Tyson was best known for being half of the '60s folk duo Ian & Sylvia, who recorded the original version of "You Were On My Mind" in 1963.

Also, they were pioneers of the country-rock genre, releasing the album Nashville in early 1968 (sample: "The Mighty Quinn").

Barbara Walters age 93
Wow... Didn't realize she was that old
I didn't realize she was still alive. That can happen when people drop out of the spotlight, I guess.

The always strange-to-hear fact that Barbara Walters, Martin Luther King, and Anne Frank were all born in the same year. Three people from three completely different eras that were actually contemporaries.

Users who are viewing this thread