What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (1 Viewer)

Singer Jake Black of Alabama 3.  He's probably best known for Woke Up This Morning from The Sopranos.

His bandmates posted this:

Early this afternoon, on a beautiful summer's day, our friend, comrade and spiritual teacher, Jake Black AKA The Very Reverend D.Wayne Love, passed over to the higher ground. After a magnificent performance at the Highpoint Festival in Lancashire, D.Wayne in his supreme wisdom, decided it was the appropriate moment for his ascencion into the next level.

The transition was painless and peaceful. He was surrounded by brothers Larry Love, L.B. Dope, The Spirit, Jonny Jamm and Sister Therese Mullan.

We are heartbroken.

All that remains for us, at this moment, is to carry out his precise instructions regarding the continuation of his teachings as a First Minister of The Presleyterian Church of Elvis The Divine, and continue The Great Work.

His last words, which we have yet to decipher, were "Tweet Tweet, Possil Fleet".
I assume it's on the level but it's also weird enough that I can't rule out the possibility of another Dwarves/He Who Cannot Be Named hoax.

By all accounts a true gentleman. Lombardi/Starr ranks with Belichick/Brady as probably the two best marriages of coach and QB. We look at the pedestrian passing numbers and think meh, but he was highly efficient for his era. When he retired he had the highest lifetime completion percentage (57.4%) and his Passer Rating (80.6) was second only to Otto Graham, made all the more impressive when you consider he was playing in the harshest weather in the NFL. Called all his own plays, something Graham and Staubach never did. Most considered Unitas the better QB of the era but the offense of the Colts was centered around him. Berry/Moore/Mackey were bigger stars than Dowler, McGee, et al, and Hornig & Taylor were an awesome backfield duo.

Anyway, while it may just be a function of the media era he prospered in, Starr seemed to be a good guy family man whose athletic accomplishments were co-equaled by his character off the field. 

damn.  The only football jersey I ever had was a Bart Starr one from Sears.  It was one of the better ones - with the heavy jersey material and looked real.  He and Fran Tarkenton were my first favorites.  
Sears & Roebuck was my favorite Christmas catalog, along with Montgomery Ward. Both would be dog eared, corner edges curled up, and cover worn off from looking at it every day during the 6-8 week runup to the Holidays.

On the other side of the State of Alabama it is a sad sad day as the great voice of Auburn sports Rod Bramblett and his wife were killed in a car accident in Auburn.

Here is his fantastic call of the Kick Six  - https://youtu.be/Y8oH8QcYIm8

He took over for the great Jim Fyffe and had giant shoes to fill and he did it like no other. He called all the sports - he had a blast doing his job - especially during the Final 4 run this season.

Honestly - I am so sad to hear this news. My game days were his voice - pre-game in front of the stadium - post game heading home. It is a sad day in the Auburn family - 53 and 2 kids.

This truly sucks.

Bart Starr was my boyhood idol.  The local team's QB is a natural choice for a kid to idolize, especially during the Lombardi era but as I grew older (and after he stopped coaching), I realized Starr was truly deserving of respect. 
:thumbup:

Bart Starr was the first autograph I ever got as a kid - albeit we were visiting family in Green Bay when he was coaching.   Several years ago I had a chance to sit down and chat with him at one of the tailgate houses outside Lambeau. A true down to earth icon.  The fact that he was even at the tailgate, let alone willing to talk with an idiot like me...

Bart Starr was my boyhood idol.  The local team's QB is a natural choice for a kid to idolize, especially during the Lombardi era but as I grew older (and after he stopped coaching), I realized Starr was truly deserving of respect. 
Not sure if the show was in your wheelhouse but Don Geronimo of the old Don and Mike radio show named his son “Bart” after Bart Starr.  IIRC When Geronimo was a kid he was hospitalized with a serious issue.  Starr visited him.  Geronimo said he would name his future son after Starr.

OrtonToOlsen said:
Not sure if the show was in your wheelhouse but Don Geronimo of the old Don and Mike radio show named his son “Bart” after Bart Starr.  IIRC When Geronimo was a kid he was hospitalized with a serious issue.  Starr visited him.  Geronimo said he would name his future son after Starr.
I forgot all about that show.  I used to listen to it every day back in '96-97. 

Game was tied when that ball went through his legs. Sox had already blown the game. Mets had nobody on, two outs. 3 singles and a then Stanley wild pitch tied it. Buckner got scapegoated but never should have gotten to that point. Guy was out there playing hurt giving it everything he had
Not to mention the Sox had a 3-0 lead in Game 7 after all that and blew it. Had nothing to do with Buckner.

Game was tied when that ball went through his legs. Sox had already blown the game. Mets had nobody on, two outs. 3 singles and a then Stanley wild pitch tied it. Buckner got scapegoated but never should have gotten to that point. Guy was out there playing hurt giving it everything he had
I forgot the game was already tied. I bet the Mets would’ve won anyway.

Sinn Fein said:
:thumbup:

Bart Starr was the first autograph I ever got as a kid - albeit we were visiting family in Green Bay when he was coaching.   Several years ago I had a chance to sit down and chat with him at one of the tailgate houses outside Lambeau. A true down to earth icon.  The fact that he was even at the tailgate, let alone willing to talk with an idiot like me...
Was my first autograph as well. I was about 6 or 7 and attended a Father/Son banquet at my cousin's church (Peace Lutheran Church in Kunesh, WI). That was almost 50 years ago and still have the mini-football, although the signature is pretty much worn out by now. As Eephus said, the local teams QB is a natural idol, but Green Bay fans of that era were extremely lucky to have somebody like Starr that lived up to every meaning of the word "idol". I think Aaron Rodgers' statemnet sums up Bart Starr's life almost perfectly. “Here’s a guy who has won more championships than anybody and people talk about the kind of person he is." Here's a guy that won 5 NFL championships in 7 years and still holds the highest QB rating in playoff games and reading comments on-line all you read is how he was such a classy and generous person.

Was my first autograph as well. I was about 6 or 7 and attended a Father/Son banquet at my cousin's church (Peace Lutheran Church in Kunesh, WI). That was almost 50 years ago and still have the mini-football, although the signature is pretty much worn out by now. As Eephus said, the local teams QB is a natural idol, but Green Bay fans of that era were extremely lucky to have somebody like Starr that lived up to every meaning of the word "idol". I think Aaron Rodgers' statemnet sums up Bart Starr's life almost perfectly. “Here’s a guy who has won more championships than anybody and people talk about the kind of person he is." Here's a guy that won 5 NFL championships in 7 years and still holds the highest QB rating in playoff games and reading comments on-line all you read is how he was such a classy and generous person.
I got Starr's autograph at a sports night at St. Gregory the Great Catholic church in Milwaukee circa 1967.  I found the autographed program years later and was surprised to see Bob Uecker's name among the other speakers. 

i was always under the impression that Mookie would've legged that one out even if Buckner secured it ... he was pretty deep behind the bag, and Stanley was no exactly the fleetest afoot - check it here - i'd say at least 90% chance Wilson beats that out for an infield single - now, Knight chugging home from second is a different story ... that was the big payoff of Buckner's miscue - no way Ray scores the winning run had it not rolled thru the legs - so, yeah, in that sense Billy Bucks coughed up the game  :shrug:

loved that he came on "Curb" all those years later and poked fun at himself - seemed like a good natured guy who never let the moment define him - sorry to hear of his passing - R.I.P.

May have been posted already, but nice moment back in 2008 when the Red Sox welcomed Buckner back with open arms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8LGeZhR6c0

What bothers me though is that it took two World Series championships (at the time) to forgive him. If the Red Sox were still waiting for that elusive World Series title, I imagine that day would still not have happened. Not unlike Steve Bartman, which required a WS title to forgive him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
On Golic and Wingo they were saying how great a player he was, mentioning numerous stats, one of them being that he NEVER struck out more than 2 times in a game. That is very  impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread