What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A. J. Jenkins (1 Viewer)

Harbaugh wasn't too surprised some rookies reported out of shape."I knew that these guys weren't working out as hard as our guys had been working out," Harbaugh said, "because our guys are just fanatical with the way they work out and the way they approach their cardio."
:shrug:When you're the first round pick, you want to make a good first impression - he didn't. Harbaugh specifically said he was "unimpressed with Jenkins' conditioning". That's all I'm sayin'. I'm not saying he's gonna be a bust - just that it's not a good first step.
Not exactly what I'd like to hear but he did play better later.
Matt Barrows ‏ @mattbarrows#49ers' p.m. practice wasn't as intense as a.m. session. AJ Jenkins bounced back nicely; had a good one-on-one catch vs. Deante Purvis.

Does A.J. Jenkins complete 49ers' passing attack?

By Marc Sessler NFL.com

Writer

253 draft picks transformed the NFL in a matter of days. Around the League will examine the aftershocks by asking one post-draft burning question for all 32 teams.

Does A.J. Jenkins complete 49ers' passing attack?

Last year's San Francisco 49ers came to us from another era. The team's stout run defense gave up an astonishing 77.2 yards per game, 15.4 yards less than the second best run-stoppers in football, the Baltimore Ravens. (We get it, fellas, you Harbaughs are into stuffing the run.)

The 49ers' passing game looked equally old-school at times, generating 183.1 yards per game, fourth worst in the NFL. Among the bottom 10 passing games in the league, only the 49ers and the Tebow-led Broncos made the playoffs, and Alex Smith and Co. couldn't blame their dry attack on the read option.

Jim Harbaugh made it a priority to beef up his receiving corps this offseason, adding Mario Manningham and some guy named Randy Moss to a group that includes Michael Crabtree and tight end Vernon Davis.

That brings us to the draft, where the 49ers used a first-round pick on burner A.J. Jenkins, a receiver destined for the slot in San Francisco, and boasting a 4.31 40-yard time, according to team scouts.

After selecting Jenkins, Harbaugh couldn't stop talking about the speed added to his offense: "It's going to be a highly competitive environment," he said. "It's going to get real real. And it's going to get real real, real fast." (Classic Harbaugh.)

"He's a guy that fits our system very well, from a trait standpoint, from a skills standpoint, and has all the off-the-field intangibles that we're looking for as well," general manager Trent Baalke said. "Feel he's going to be a great fit it in the locker room, a great addition to the offense, and now it's up to him. It's up to him to come in here and compete."

The 49ers fielded criticism from draftniks for reaching for Jenkins at No. 30, but Baalke maintained he was at the top of their board. (Is Harbaugh concerned with the mental state of draftniks? Honey badger don't care.)

Defenses are now forced to approach San Francisco's offense from a different angle. Last year's run-heavy attack has only improved with the drafting of LaMichael James -- the 49ers are stocked at the position -- and the receivers are a wild group. Without knowing how the Moss signing will pan out, Jenkins will help alter the way this team scores points.

Coach Jim Harbaugh refused to acknowledge that Smith has been targeting Moss more, though.

“Alex has really been, in the two days out here, has been spreading the ball very well,” Harbaugh said. “He’s got a lot of options. That’s been evident, too, for two days. Randy’s a great target. He’s not a B.S.er. He’s rock solid. We just couldn’t be happier with him. Couldn’t be any more happy with him. Another guy that’s really standing out is Mario Manningham. His first two days of OTAs, played extremely well. Michael [Crabtree], Kyle [Williams], I’m probably leaving somebody out right there. Oh, A.J. Jenkins is doing a phenomenal job.

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/sports/teams/49ers/2012/05/smith-trying-out-his-new-receiving-targets#ixzz1vthGsP1c

The most positive thing about Jenkins is that the team really wanted him. They had his name in an envelope a week before the draft. They also passed up offers to trade down and weren't going to do it unless Jenkins wasn't there. I believe he's being groomed to be their #1 WR, possibly as soon as next year.

Still not looking good for my Illini..

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/time-start-worrying-j-jenkins-142730312--nfl.html;_ylt=AgS5wsIRVjynSnViIF5XE1FDubYF

"The Niners' first-round pick looked like one of the worst wide receivers on the field most of minicamp. He didn't play with the first- or second-team offense on Tuesday, and he didn't catch a pass in scrimmages on Wednesday. He had trouble staying on his feet all three days, which was odd considering it was a non-contact minicamp.

Overall, undrafted receivers Nathan Palmer and Brian Tyms caught many more passes and made more impressive plays than Jenkins did. There's no rush for Jenkins to produce, though, because there seem to be at least four good wide receivers above him on the depth chart right now — [Michael] Crabtree, [Randy] Moss, [Mario] Manningham and [Kyle] Williams."

'keisersose said:
Still not looking good for my Illini..http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/time-start-worrying-j-jenkins-142730312--nfl.html;_ylt=AgS5wsIRVjynSnViIF5XE1FDubYF"The Niners' first-round pick looked like one of the worst wide receivers on the field most of minicamp. He didn't play with the first- or second-team offense on Tuesday, and he didn't catch a pass in scrimmages on Wednesday. He had trouble staying on his feet all three days, which was odd considering it was a non-contact minicamp.Overall, undrafted receivers Nathan Palmer and Brian Tyms caught many more passes and made more impressive plays than Jenkins did. There's no rush for Jenkins to produce, though, because there seem to be at least four good wide receivers above him on the depth chart right now — [Michael] Crabtree, [Randy] Moss, [Mario] Manningham and [Kyle] Williams."
Take this with a grain of salt given that the writer has a grudge against Jenkins since he wanted them to take Fleener.
Please, never use Grant Cohn's blog as a reference when it comes to factual 49er updates. We've all heard about Jenkins struggling a little, but Cohn's comments on Jenkins have been negative since the 49ers drafted him. If anything Grant Cohn writes controversial stories in his blog to attract attention, not to inform readers. Well said about Cohn! He's known for his 49er fashion analysis, NOT his non-existent football IQ. The guy is considered a joke in the Bay Area, and any article sourcing him loses all credibility. Come on Yahoo, this is what you get when you let random people off the street write articles on your behalf!!!

@ 5Rings and cstu, what part of post #55 is false??? Is the writer in question a liar?

This quote is from Matt Barrow's blog here. Apparently he agrees that Jenkins hasn't looked good so far.

Jim Harbaugh on Thursday was full of praise for first-round pick A.J. Jenkins. "Very gung-ho. Very fast, fast, fast. He's got excellent hands," Harbaugh said. "He's got the ability to get in and out of cuts with his foot speed. And the turnover, he doesn't get stuck in routes. He doesn't get stuck at the top of the routes. He's able to get out of those cuts. And he's right on track. A.J. Jenkins is going to be just fine."

That's vintage Harbaugh, and you would not expect anything but positives and praise from him when it comes to his young players. The truth, however, is that Jenkins had a rough spring. He had a hard time staying on his feet, fighting for position and often - very often -- was on the ground after the play. And this was in non-contact practices.

This quote is from Matt Barrow's blog here. Apparently he agrees that Jenkins hasn't looked good so far.

Jim Harbaugh on Thursday was full of praise for first-round pick A.J. Jenkins. "Very gung-ho. Very fast, fast, fast. He's got excellent hands," Harbaugh said. "He's got the ability to get in and out of cuts with his foot speed. And the turnover, he doesn't get stuck in routes. He doesn't get stuck at the top of the routes. He's able to get out of those cuts. And he's right on track. A.J. Jenkins is going to be just fine."

That's vintage Harbaugh, and you would not expect anything but positives and praise from him when it comes to his young players. The truth, however, is that Jenkins had a rough spring. He had a hard time staying on his feet, fighting for position and often - very often -- was on the ground after the play. And this was in non-contact practices.
There's hasn't been much positive about him so far, but he's just a rookie and it's not even training camp. Not much will be expected of him anyway so he's got an entire year to learn.

There's hasn't been much positive about him so far, but he's just a rookie and it's not even training camp. Not much will be expected of him anyway so he's got an entire year to learn.
It seems like their are a lot of AJ owners in this thread and are desperately trying to find something positive about him. I would be shocked if he went for over 1k yards his first four years in the league.

'RAPTURE said:

It seems like their are a lot of AJ owners in this thread and are desperately trying to find something positive about him. I would be shocked if he went for over 1k yards his first four years in the league.
What?

I'm starting to get this "flavor of the month" vibe from Jim Harbaugh. Aldon Smith and a horrbile NFC West might have single handedly secured this guy's job for 3-4 years. Personally I think it's pretty damn hard to miss in the top 10, so if you take out Smith the only player that caught my eye was Kendall Hunter. Am I missing anyone?

Clearly AJ Jenkins (so far) seems to be the reach many of us thought he was so I'm not sold on the scouting department at all at the moment. I don't want to go overboard. I'll admit I don't follow the 9ers too closely and Jenkins struggles might be a simple adjustment to his new footwear for all we know. Harbaugh did seem to have a positive inflence on Alex Smith's career but bottom line I'm hesitant to invest dynasty picks in this team b/c I wouldn't be surprised if they hit the reset button in a few years. What are everyone's thoughts in terms of this teams stability going forward from ownership to coaching staff to the scouting?

I'm starting to get this "flavor of the month" vibe from Jim Harbaugh. Aldon Smith and a horrbile NFC West might have single handedly secured this guy's job for 3-4 years. Personally I think it's pretty damn hard to miss in the top 10, so if you take out Smith the only player that caught my eye was Kendall Hunter. Am I missing anyone?Clearly AJ Jenkins (so far) seems to be the reach many of us thought he was so I'm not sold on the scouting department at all at the moment. I don't want to go overboard. I'll admit I don't follow the 9ers too closely and Jenkins struggles might be a simple adjustment to his new footwear for all we know. Harbaugh did seem to have a positive inflence on Alex Smith's career but bottom line I'm hesitant to invest dynasty picks in this team b/c I wouldn't be surprised if they hit the reset button in a few years. What are everyone's thoughts in terms of this teams stability going forward from ownership to coaching staff to the scouting?
The team has drafted fairly well for several years. Harbaugh and Baalke are signed long term. They have built up a very strong talent base. Even if they don't hit a home run on a late first round WR, and it is ridiculously early to be writing off Jenkins, I would be very surprised if they had to blow everything up in the near future.

I'm starting to get this "flavor of the month" vibe from Jim Harbaugh. Aldon Smith and a horrbile NFC West might have single handedly secured this guy's job for 3-4 years. Personally I think it's pretty damn hard to miss in the top 10, so if you take out Smith the only player that caught my eye was Kendall Hunter. Am I missing anyone?
From a FF standpoint, Smith and Hunter are the names you'll hear, but Chris Culliver (considered a 3rd round reach last year) played nickel well in his rookie year and has been one of the bright spots of minicamp. They also did well on Bruce Miller, a DE who they converted to FB, and Kilgore, a late 6th rd pick who looked promising last preseason and will operate as the 6th swing OL.

Clearly AJ Jenkins (so far) seems to be the reach many of us thought he was so I'm not sold on the scouting department at all at the moment. I don't want to go overboard. I'll admit I don't follow the 9ers too closely and Jenkins struggles might be a simple adjustment to his new footwear for all we know. Harbaugh did seem to have a positive inflence on Alex Smith's career but bottom line I'm hesitant to invest dynasty picks in this team b/c I wouldn't be surprised if they hit the reset button in a few years. What are everyone's thoughts in terms of this teams stability going forward from ownership to coaching staff to the scouting?
Sorry, but this post is a bit bonkers. We'll go in reverse order -- it is far too early to write off last year's rookies, much less the rookies that were just drafted 2 months ago. If you judge a draft's grade after one season (in a year with no offseason on top of it), you're doing it wrong.

Which leads me to my next point -- it's hard to miss in the top 10 of the NFL draft? I'd say it's hard to hit in the NFL draft, no matter what pick we're talking about, from #1 to Mr. Irrelevant. It's too early to really evaluate the last 2 years' drafts, but go back to 2009, 2008, 2007 drafts and you will find PLENTY of busts in the top 10 of the NFL draft. In fact, almost half of the picks in the top 10 over those years could be considered busts by my estimation. Jason Smith, Tyson Jackson, Aaron Curry, Glenn Dorsey, Vernon Gholston, Sedrick Ellis, Derrick Harvey, Keith Rivers, Jamarcus Russell, Gaines Adams, Jamaal Anderson, Ted Ginn Jr., Amobi Okoye? Yuck!

Even guys like Heyward-Bey, Crabtree -- while they're not outright busts, do you think these guys have performed up to the expectations of a top 10 pick? Mark Sanchez is seemingly -thisclose- to getting benched for Tebow.

That said, as an AJ Jenkins owner, I'm certainly not thrilled about the minicamp reports thus far...but I'm also definitely not cutting him based on those reports...

(Rotoworld) 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh staunchly defended first-round pick A.J. Jenkins Sunday following OTA and minicamp reports that claimed he struggled and was out of shape.

Analysis: "They're making themselves look clueless," said Harbaugh of Jenkins' detractors. "... A.J. is going to be outstanding." Jenkins has reportedly shined while filling in for Michael Crabtree (ankle) early in camp. Crabtree needs to get himself healthy, or else Jenkins is going to Pipp him. Jenkins has superior ability to run past coverage than Crabtree, and he wasn't an inherited holdover.
(KFFL) San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh defended the selection of WR A.J. Jenkins in the first round of the NFL Draft, even though Jenkins has struggled early on. "A.J. Jenkins was an outstanding football player when he got here," Harbaugh said. "His progress has been very, very good, and exceeded expectations. For those - the scribes, pundits, so-called experts - who have gone so far as to say that he's going to be a bust, should just stop. I recommend that because they're making themselves look more clueless than they already did."

If Jenkins is as good as Harbaugh advertises, he'll see the field. While deep, the San Fran receiving corps isn't exactly loaded with talent. Cream rises and if Jenkins show's some skill he can have an impact.

More of a wait and see, Moss maybe having a comeback but that'll be for what, a yr? Crabtree and Manningham haven't shown WR1 material so AJ might be red shirted this yr be given an opp 2013

Practice review, Day 3: Jenkins ‘loves criticism;’ Crabtree does not particpate; Posted by Cam Inman on July 29th, 2012 at 5:48 pm | First of all, you’re probably wanting to know how rookie wide receiver A.J. Jenkins did today, hours after coach Jim Harbaugh dubbed Jenkins’ alleged critics as “clueless.”Jenkins didn’t do anything spectacular, nor anything egregious. He caught 1 of 3 passes thrown his way in one-on-one, press-coverage drills, and he caught a pass late in practice. When the 49ers worked on punt returns early in practice, Jenkins was on the coverage teams while Ted Ginn Jr., Kyle Williams and LaMichael James fielded Andy Lee’s wind-aided boomers.Informed after practice about Harbaugh’s impromptu vote of confidence, Jenkins called it “good feedback.” But it’s not as if Jenkins felt he needed such condemnation of any critics.“I love criticism,” Jenkins said. “That’s what drives me. No hard feelings. People are going to say what they say. It doesn’t matter what the outside world says.”While Jenkins said after his first rookie practice in May that he needs to get in shape, he said he’s feeling pretty good through three full-squad practices of training camp.He’s also happy to be learning from veterans such as Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, Michael Crabtree and Ted Ginn Jr. — all of whom he’ll likely start the season behind on the depth chart.“I’m a very patient guy,” Jenkins said. “I learned that in college. I wasn’t a starter right away. Like college, I’ll have to wait my turn.”In the past few months, Jenkins said he’s a lot different in terms of his “maturity level and expectations of myself.”Those self-expectations now: “Sky high.”* * *Wide receiver Michael Crabtree missed practice for a second consecutive day after going down Friday with an apparent lower-leg injury. Crabtree emerged to watch the final 10 minutes of practice. He wasn’t wearing an orthopedic boot that usually accompany ankle sprains but instead donned some supportive tape on his right calf.

Thought he looked good tonight. Only caught one pass (32 yards) but was overthrown on another. Was going against backups but wasn't getting pushed off the line and was able to get open easily. All in all I'm happy with tonight's performance.

Does Jenkins finally get a target now that Manningham tore his ACL. It's only him, Crabtree and Moss at WR.

I wonder if his work habits improved -

not much of this thread was written in season (for obvious reasons) . . . maybe he is a factor in the playoffs.

He got dumped after I traded him and a 2nd to an owner this season for Reggie Wayne. I figured I'd count on fantasy football karma to bite that owner in the ### as it had all season. I scooped him off the wire late in the season. I won't have a draft pick until the 4th round next year so I figured he'd serve as my redshirt pick. I figured if Harbaugh drafted a receiver, any receiver, in the first two rounds next year, he'd at least have the value of a Reuben Randle or Stephen Hill, who were mid-2's in most leagues this season.

Does Jenkins finally get a target now that Manningham tore his ACL. It's only him, Crabtree and Moss at WR.
As a disenchanted Jenkins owner, I hope you're right.But Manningham was injured & missed the week 14 & 15 games, and Jenkins wasn't targeted a single time...Perhaps the past 3 weeks he's turned the corner, but I'm not holding my breath...

(Rotoworld)49ers offensive coaches remain confident in 2012 first-rounder A.J. Jenkins' future despite what was essentially a "redshirt" rookie year.Analysis: Jenkins played just 42 regular season snaps and none in the NFC title game. "He has a great foundation underneath him," said OC Greg Roman. "So when he has to become a major player in what we do, he can jump right in." Added WRs coach John Morton, "It can be hard to just go in and be thrown in the fire and you're not ready. This is going to be really good for A.J. The sky is the limit for him."

A year of learning for former Parker star, now a 49ers receiverPosted: February 2, 2013 - 12:56amRyan O’Halloran/The Times-UnionNEW ORLEANS — When he first looked at the San Francisco 49ers’ receiver depth, A.J. Jenkins figured he would be in for a redshirt year.Before the 49ers drafted Jenkins with the 30th overall pick last spring, they had already signed Randy Moss and Mario Manningham to join incumbents Michael Crabtree, Kyle Williams and Ted Ginn Jr.Jenkins, a former Parker High School star, would start training camp facing long odds.But no catches?Just four appearances?Only 42 snaps played?Despite the fact that San Francisco is in Sunday’s Super Bowl against Baltimore, Jenkins has to be discouraged, right?“It’s been fine, just going through the typical rookie things, the ups and downs,” he said. “But I’ve had a great time this year.”The 49ers being one win from a sixth championship and Jenkins’ opportunity to learn from the likes of Moss have taken some of the sting out of an otherwise forgettable year.Since 1990, 82 receivers had been selected in the first round and Jenkins is the first to have no catches in his rookie year. The previous low producers were two-catch rookie years by Ike Hilliard (the Giants in 1997) and Santana Moss (Jets in 2001). But they were injured.On the plus side for Jenkins is that Moss is still playing and Hilliard had a productive career before becoming an NFL assistant.A year ago, Jenkins was preparing for the draft after making 90 catches at Illinois.“This is something I’ve never gone through before, just sitting a whole year and watching from the sideline,” he said. “Mentally, you always have to stay focused and realize the team is bigger than me and even if they don’t need me now, I have to stay ready.”Heady and mature stuff for a 23-year old, for sure, but not a surprise to his position coach and offensive coordinator.The 49ers have supported Jenkins since training camp when coach Jim Harbaugh called an impromptu news conference to single out the rookie for making progress.The theme continued this week.“He’s coming along,” receivers coach John Morton said. “It takes time coming from college depending on the type of offense you play in. It’s a whole new ballgame and there’s a lot of stuff you have to learn. But A.J. works his butt off and he gets better at something every day. The whole thing with him is being consistent in what he does so he has confidence.”Said offensive coordinator Greg Roman: “This has been an incredible opportunity for him to get his feet on the ground. He has a great foundation underneath him so when he has to become a major player in what we do, he can jump right in.”The 49ers and Jenkins point to the influence of Moss as a positive.In college, Jenkins’ diet was simple: Fried foods in general and fast, fried food in particular.“All that stuff is gone,” he said.In the bay area, Moss stressed the importance of a proper diet.“He said it’s like putting gas in a car — you can’t put cheap gas in the car and expect it to drive right,” Jenkins said. “I needed to start putting fruits and vegetables in me. … Moss has taught me so much to where, next year, I should be a better player.”Before he played in college, Jenkins was a high school star, rooted for the Jaguars and his favorite player was receiver Jimmy Smith.The Jaguars made their move at receiver with the fifth pick (Justin Blackmon) and Jenkins was watching the draft at his parents’ home when the 49ers surprised some observers by selecting him.Upon signing his contract, which included $3.5 million guaranteed, Jenkins purchased one car apiece for his mother and father. His parents will be at the Super Bowl along with his sister, agent, girlfriend and family friend.Jenkins played seven offensive snaps against Green Bay and none against Atlanta. Even though he is expected to be active and in uniform Sunday because Manningham and Williams were lost to injuries late in the year, he can’t help taking a look ahead.“Honestly, everything,” Jenkins said when asked what has to improve. “The way I study film, the way I approach practice — everything has to get better. I can’t pick out one specific thing.”Morton believes the redshirt-type year will benefit Jenkins.“Sometimes that’s a good thing, especially when you get to watch and learn from guys like Crabtree, Moss, Manningham,” Morton said. “It can be hard to just go in and be thrown in the fire and you’re not ready. This is going to be really good for A.J. The sky is the limit for him. When it’s all said and done, he’s going to be a helluva football player.”Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2013-02-02/story/year-learning-former-parker-star-now-49ers-receiver#ixzz2JwnmZBGU

The added depth at WR made it difficult for Jenkins to earn any sort of substantial role in 2012. I think things are lining up for him to be much more involved in 2013. He'll have more of a shot at least... what he does with it is up in the air, imo. And even if he does see a lot more time on the field, he could struggle to get much of a slice of the SF receiving yardage pie with Crabtree and Davis both established as legit playmakers. -Jenkins dynasty owners will probably need to continue to be patient.

I'm surprised he didn't get on the field more. It's not a good sign.On the other hand, the team that drafted Aldon Smith and Colin Kaepernick with its first two picks last year probably deserves the benefit of the doubt. And if they thought Jenkins was worth a first round pick then I'm inclined to be patient.

I'm surprised he didn't get on the field more. It's not a good sign.On the other hand, the team that drafted Aldon Smith and Colin Kaepernick with its first two picks last year probably deserves the benefit of the doubt. And if they thought Jenkins was worth a first round pick then I'm inclined to be patient.
I don't think we Jenkins owners have a choice but to be patient...personally, I'm tempering enthusiasm. In my opinion, a WR corps that includes the likes of Kyle Williams and Ted Ginn (even Mario Manningham and an aging Randy Moss) isn't so outstanding that it should keep a Round 1 talent on the inactive list most of the year... The articles that imply that Jenkins' "red shirt" season was somehow expected, or even beneficial for him? It rings misleading/deceptive to me...

The added depth at WR made it difficult for Jenkins to earn any sort of substantial role in 2012. I think things are lining up for him to be much more involved in 2013. He'll have more of a shot at least... what he does with it is up in the air, imo. And even if he does see a lot more time on the field, he could struggle to get much of a slice of the SF receiving yardage pie with Crabtree and Davis both established as legit playmakers. -Jenkins dynasty owners will probably need to continue to be patient.
He most likely has to wait until 2014 to get major playing time (assuming Mario Manningham recovers fully) and VD will be two years older (30) by then. It's disappointing that he didn't get to play more this year, but as the youngest receiver on the team it's hard not to be excited about him being paired up with Kaepernick.

I don't think we Jenkins owners have a choice but to be patient...personally, I'm tempering enthusiasm. In my opinion, a WR corps that includes the likes of Kyle Williams and Ted Ginn (even Mario Manningham and an aging Randy Moss) isn't so outstanding that it should keep a Round 1 talent on the inactive list most of the year... The articles that imply that Jenkins' "red shirt" season was somehow expected, or even beneficial for him? It rings misleading/deceptive to me...
Yeah, I'm with you there. On the other hand, Kaep didn't play much at all last season and LaMichael James only got games this year because of Hunter's injury. I think it's pretty clear that Harbaugh doesn't rush his rookies into action. I'm not bullish on Jenkins, but it will be hard to know what you have in him until he gets some games. Maybe he comes out next year and goes Cecil Shorts on everyone. I wouldn't bet on it, but if you spent the resources to acquire him in your FF league then you have to give him a chance.

He most likely has to wait until 2014 to get major playing time (assuming Mario Manningham recovers fully) and VD will be two years older (30) by then. It's disappointing that he didn't get to play more this year, but as the youngest receiver on the team it's hard not to be excited about him being paired up with Kaepernick.
Yeah, even being the team's WR3 would be a big deal for Jenkins in 2013 and keep him significantly involved. Barring major injuries to the SF receiving corps, that may be the best case scenario for the youngster in the near term (despite Manningham not being a world beater it seems unlikely that Jenkins would leapfrog him).

I don't think people expected him to make an impact right away, but they didn't expect him to be an unready as he was either. One thing to consider is that this was SB-bound team and the last thing they needed was a rookie making mistakes (remember Kyle Williams last year?). They got within a yard of winning the SB without him so I think it's a combination of him not being ready and them not needing him, at least not enough to risk mistakes.

I'm surprised he didn't get on the field more. It's not a good sign.

On the other hand, the team that drafted Aldon Smith and Colin Kaepernick with its first two picks last year probably deserves the benefit of the doubt.

And if they thought Jenkins was worth a first round pick then I'm inclined to be patient.
Yeah, I'm with you there. On the other hand, Kaep didn't play much at all last season and LaMichael James only got games this year because of Hunter's injury.

I think it's pretty clear that Harbaugh doesn't rush his rookies into action.

I'm not bullish on Jenkins, but it will be hard to know what you have in him until he gets some games. Maybe he comes out next year and goes Cecil Shorts on everyone. I wouldn't bet on it, but if you spent the resources to acquire him in your FF league then you have to give him a chance.
I wouldn't bet on it next year either, but if he works hard I think he could be the Cecil Shorts of 2014. The biggest thing for him, which was known going into the draft, is that he needs to get stronger. Putting on 10 lbs. would help him tremendously in beating the press and breaking tackles.

I'm surprised he didn't get on the field more. It's not a good sign.

On the other hand, the team that drafted Aldon Smith and Colin Kaepernick with its first two picks last year probably deserves the benefit of the doubt.

And if they thought Jenkins was worth a first round pick then I'm inclined to be patient.
Yeah, I'm with you there. On the other hand, Kaep didn't play much at all last season and LaMichael James only got games this year because of Hunter's injury.

I think it's pretty clear that Harbaugh doesn't rush his rookies into action.

I'm not bullish on Jenkins, but it will be hard to know what you have in him until he gets some games. Maybe he comes out next year and goes Cecil Shorts on everyone. I wouldn't bet on it, but if you spent the resources to acquire him in your FF league then you have to give him a chance.
I wouldn't bet on it next year either, but if he works hard I think he could be the Cecil Shorts of 2014. The biggest thing for him, which was known going into the draft, is that he needs to get stronger. Putting on 10 lbs. would help him tremendously in beating the press and breaking tackles.
cstu, you're making me think that Jenkins could be a nice dynasty buy-low candidate for late in the 2013 season (assumiing his current owner grows tired of him). I think I'll put this down in my MFL "scratchpad." :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest thing for him, which was known going into the draft, is that he needs to get stronger. Putting on 10 lbs. would help him tremendously in beating the press and breaking tackles.
Yea, that his biggest problem without a doubt. Considering that he weighs 190, he looks incredibly skinny out there. He has no weight in his lower body and is easy to push around as a result. The word out of training camp was that he was getting bullied by the DBs and spent way too much time on the ground. I'm not sure it's something that he can fix in the weight room, as he might just be a naturally slender person who struggles to add weight. If he can improve that aspect of his game, he has good potential though. He's fast and he has special qualities as a route runner. As Harbaugh noted in an interview, he's really efficient and fast at the top of his routes, meaning he gets in and out his breaks really quickly. I've got him on the end of my bench in a couple of my leagues. I'm not exactly banking on him being successful, but we'll see what happens.

A.J. Jenkins planning to train with Colin Kaepernick

By Kevin Patra NFL.com

Published: Feb. 6, 2013 at 06:22 a.m.

Updated: Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:29 p.m.

The San Francisco 49ers aren't planning commiseration sessions after their Super Bowl XLVII loss. In fact, Colin Kaepernick already has volunteers to start training in Atlanta for next season.

"Obviously, I want to contribute a lot more than I have been," wide receiver A.J. Jenkins said Monday, via the Sacramento Bee. "So I'm going to make that happen and come back bigger, faster, stronger."

A first-round selection in the 2012 draft, Jenkins had zero catches and was active for only the final three regular-season games. He played just three snaps in the Super Bowl, according to the Bee.

The 49ers might need a lot more out of the 6-foot receiver next season. Aside from Michael Crabtree, the Niners' wide receiver corps is full of question marks.

Randy Moss is a free agent and said he doesn't know if he will be back in San Francisco. Ted Ginn Jr. also is a free agent. Mario Manningham and Kyle Williams both suffered season-ending ACL injuries, and while they both hope to return for the start of the season, that's still up in the air.

The 49ers liked Jenkins' route-running and soft hands enough while he was at Illinois to make him a first-round pick. Now they need him to work on getting stronger against press coverage and building a rapport with Kaepernick.

Just grabbed the guy off waivers. Didn't see any highlights that made me think he could become something special but worth the risk. He at least appears to have the right mindset going into the offseason.

Just grabbed the guy off waivers. Didn't see any highlights that made me think he could become something special but worth the risk. He at least appears to have the right mindset going into the offseason.
I've been going after him as a "throw-in" in dynasty leagues where I have room. He's not expensive and IMO he will get a legit shot next season, who knows what will happen, but I like taking chances on guys who went relatively early in the draft and had disappointing first seasons, as they usually get at least one more chance.

'finito said:
'King of the Jungle said:
I've been going after him as a "throw-in" in dynasty leagues where I have room. He's not expensive and IMO he will get a legit shot next season, who knows what will happen, but I like taking chances on guys who went relatively early in the draft and had disappointing first seasons, as they usually get at least one more chance.
Plus this offense looks really good with Kaep, and Crabtree and Davis the focus of defenses.

The 49ers wr core was too good to crack? Wow. Sounds like those guys who said Meachem couldn't play in NO because there was too much competition. The 49ers wrs were horrible outside of Crabtree. Moss played about as well as my mom and looked older and he was still on the field.

The 49ers wr core was too good to crack? Wow. Sounds like those guys who said Meachem couldn't play in NO because there was too much competition. The 49ers wrs were horrible outside of Crabtree. Moss played about as well as my mom and looked older and he was still on the field.
I hear that he's just too small, he needs to bulk up a bit so DBs dont push him around.

Users who are viewing this thread