What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A way to honor the memory of Sean Taylor (1 Viewer)

North

Footballguy
Sorry if this has been brought up already.

Considering the season he was having until his injury, he seemed to be a lock for the pro bowl. I think in memory of Sean he should still be voted onto the pro bowl team this year for his efforts on and off the field. it seemed that he was really turning his life around after the birth of his daughter and it showed.

I think this would be a good way to remember him.

Access voting by following this link:

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/ballot

P.S. When is the last time an NFL player was murdered IN SEASON?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if this has been brought up already. Considering the season he was having until his injury, he seemed to be a lock for the pro bowl. I think in memory of Sean he should still be voted onto the pro bowl team this year for his efforts on and off the field. it seemed that he was really turning his life around after the birth of his daughter and it showed.I think this would be a good way to remember him.P.S. When is the last time an NFL player was murdered IN SEASON?
I voted for him already today. :lmao:He's certainly worthy of the vote - teams weren't even challenging his part of the field with passes this season, not even trying.

of all the time TO has spent in the NFC east (phi, dal), he never had a 100yd game against SEAN TAYLOR

Well, lets remember him by voting him in the pro bowl!

It's a little time consuming but worth it!

I voted for him. Like Redman said, he certainly deserved it. He was as good as any free safety in the league this year, easily having his best season as a pro. I'm all for it, I think its a good thing.

I voted for him a couple of weeks ago, but will try again from another email address. Redskin fans, I'm sorry for such a big loss to your team and such a good young kid. RIP

I agree. Voting him into the pro bowl would be a great way to honer him.

I also thought of this: What if at the next Redskins home game they number the field with a 21 in place of the 20yd line. Just a thought.

Not for sure how that works with the NFL.

I agree. Voting him into the pro bowl would be a great way to honer him.I also thought of this: What if at the next Redskins home game they number the field with a 21 in place of the 20yd line. Just a thought.Not for sure how that works with the NFL.
You mean the league that fines you if your socks aren't right?I wouldn't count on it.

Considering the season he was having until his injury, he seemed to be a lock for the pro bowl. I think in memory of Sean he should still be voted onto the pro bowl team this year for his efforts on and off the field. it seemed that he was really turning his life around after the birth of his daughter and it showed.

:thumbup:

die hard cowboy fan here....i named my son dallas...voted for sean...he was still unpolished and on his way to greatness...the NFL lost a great player/man this week...he will be missed

I believe the answer is "Never". Just a brutal two days. RIP Sean.
Darrent Williams was murdered on January 1, 2007, 12 hours after the Broncos last game of the season.
just what I was going to say. The NFL season wasn't over. So the correct answer isn't "Never". The correct answer is almost 11 months ago.RIP Sean, RIP Darrent

I don't want to sound insensitive or harsh, but I say only vote for him if you were going to vote for him BEFORE this happened. Doing it now as a tribute is a slap in the face of NFL competition, the same competition players like him live and die for. Personally, I wouldn't want my votes swayed because I died, I would rather it go along the way it was supposed to happen.

I don't want to sound insensitive or harsh, but I say only vote for him if you were going to vote for him BEFORE this happened. Doing it now as a tribute is a slap in the face of NFL competition, the same competition players like him live and die for. Personally, I wouldn't want my votes swayed because I died, I would rather it go along the way it was supposed to happen.
...and if you weren't going to vote for him BEFORE this happened... then you were a biased fan of another team or just not paying attention. He was pretty much objectively among the 2 most deserving no matter how you slice it (he bobbled a few gimme interceptions, which would have been the different between excellent stats and true STUD stats). Thus everyone vote for him anyway! :goodposting: //voted

Are you arguing that he's going to take the place of an otherwise deserving player? :confused:

...and if you weren't going to vote for him BEFORE this happened... then you were a biased fan of another team or just not paying attention. He was pretty much objectively among the 2 most deserving no matter how you slice it (he bobbled a few gimme interceptions, which would have been the different between excellent stats and true STUD stats). Thus everyone vote for him anyway! :thumbup: //voted
i thoughtGibril Wilson

Micheal Lewis

Roy Williams

Jermaine Phillips

Bigby

Landry

etc.

were playing in the NFC

;)

...and if you weren't going to vote for him BEFORE this happened... then you were a biased fan of another team or just not paying attention. He was pretty much objectively among the 2 most deserving no matter how you slice it (he bobbled a few gimme interceptions, which would have been the different between excellent stats and true STUD stats). Thus everyone vote for him anyway! :thumbup: //voted
i thoughtGibril Wilson

Micheal Lewis

Roy Williams

Jermaine Phillips

Bigby

Landry

etc.

were playing in the NFC

;)
I would say as a 'Skins fan (and Landry IDP owner) that Landry is doing very well as a rookie but is not playing at a Pro Bowl level. I wouldn't vote for him this year. Roy Williams is a shell of his former self and I'm seeing Cowboys fans for the first time en masse criticizing his (lack of) pass coverage skills; it was always a weakness but he's actually declined further this season IMHO. Lewis is good but not great IMHO. The others I'm less familiar with, but I'd rely upon Taylor's sheer dominance in picking him. As I said before, teams weren't even testing him in the passing game, and when they were he was inevitably getting his hands on the ball. This was his best year as a pro. He's definitely worthy in every respect save for the fact that he couldn't finish the season.

i thought

Gibril Wilson

Micheal Lewis

Roy Williams

Jermaine Phillips

Bigby

Landry

etc.

were playing in the NFC

:)
Don't even get me started on Roy Williams, who can be just plain awful, but Bigby and Adrian Wilson (not finishing the year though) are pretty deserving. I don't think you watched too many Redskins games if you dont think Taylor belongs on that list, if not at the top. Clearly showing growth from the past few years, he was just straight nasty to WRs who were unlucky to touch the ball in his general vicinity, and his 5 INTs really should have been 7 or so, based on balls going in and out of his hands Madden-style. Remember The Boom King: http://misterirrelevant.com/index.php/2007...owers-the-boom/ (see pic for Pro Bowl vote evidence)

i thoughtGibril WilsonMicheal LewisRoy WilliamsJermaine PhillipsBigbyLandryetc.were playing in the NFC ;)
They are, but only Gibril Wilson is on the Pro Bowl ballot as a FS. All the others are SS (you can vote for one FS and one SS).I may be an emotional Redskin homer, but even before the events of this week, there is no way I would have wanted any other safety in the league in place of Taylor in the 'Skins secondary, Bob Sanders included.

Posted this in the Portis changing his number thread, but it applies here too:

I think you have to wait until the full story comes out before any valid opinion on "retireability" or "honorability" of his number or person can/should be made.

_4_ said:

I think you have to wait until the full story comes out before any valid opinion on "retireability" or "honorability" of his number or person can/should be made.
I created the post to honor him and what he has done on the field THIS YEAR. There's always going to be a bunch of haters who say he deserves it because he was a thug, but in my opinion no one deserves to be gun down in their home while they sleep.I heard Coward this morning going off about what kind of person he was, saying he was surrounded by trouble. I want to set a few things straight that these media types refused to report. They report the bad things because it gets more attention and I'm really not surprised because that's what gets coverage but the incidents that they have talked about concerning his credability have been misconstrued. 1. His DUI arrest was thrown out because he WAS under the legal limit. And anyway, even if he had gotten a DUI does that make him a thug? I know people who have DUI's, they aren't thugs!2. The gun charge stemmed from him having his property stolen, he went to recover his property and was confronted by people who had guns, not him. The people who stole his ATV's were the ones who had guns and in a suit against Taylor they tried to turn it around on him and claim he was the one with the fire arms. The truth came out and the charge was dropped, he took probation because he gave someone the beat down for stealing his stuff. The individuals who were charged then came back and tried to send him a message by shooting up the family car.None of this has been reported, only he got a DUI and was arrested for gun possession. They won't report what really happened because it doesn't sell and isn't controversial. Fact is he did what many others would do. Should he have called the cops instead of going after his ATV's by himself? Probably, but he was also a young man who thought he was invincible.No one knows for sure why he was shot and it may come out that he was involved in something but I find it dispicable that writers would stoop to this level in the wake of his death. Last night on ESPN they had a 5 minute segment on Taylor, 4:45 of which were about the bad things he was accused of doing and 15 seconds were on the good. Lets face facts, bad news sells.I just want to honor him for his accomplishments on the field, he deserves it.

_4_ said:

I created the post to honor him and what he has done on the field THIS YEAR. There's always going to be a bunch of haters who say he deserves it because he was a thug, but in my opinion no one deserves to be gun down in their home while they sleep.I heard Coward this morning going off about what kind of person he was, saying he was surrounded by trouble. I want to set a few things straight that these media types refused to report. They report the bad things because it gets more attention and I'm really not surprised because that's what gets coverage but the incidents that they have talked about concerning his credability have been misconstrued. 1. His DUI arrest was thrown out because he WAS under the legal limit. And anyway, even if he had gotten a DUI does that make him a thug? I know people who have DUI's, they aren't thugs!2. The gun charge stemmed from him having his property stolen, he went to recover his property and was confronted by people who had guns, not him. The people who stole his ATV's were the ones who had guns and in a suit against Taylor they tried to turn it around on him and claim he was the one with the fire arms. The truth came out and the charge was dropped, he took probation because he gave someone the beat down for stealing his stuff. The individuals who were charged then came back and tried to send him a message by shooting up the family car.None of this has been reported, only he got a DUI and was arrested for gun possession. They won't report what really happened because it doesn't sell and isn't controversial. Fact is he did what many others would do. Should he have called the cops instead of going after his ATV's by himself? Probably, but he was also a young man who thought he was invincible.No one knows for sure why he was shot and it may come out that he was involved in something but I find it dispicable that writers would stoop to this level in the wake of his death. Last night on ESPN they had a 5 minute segment on Taylor, 4:45 of which were about the bad things he was accused of doing and 15 seconds were on the good. Lets face facts, bad news sells.I just want to honor him for his accomplishments on the field, he deserves it.
If the police determine that he was an innocent victim of a random/violent/fatal attack, I am all for the NFL honoring him. If it comes out otherwise, I have a problem with the NFL glorifying him.

His death is certainly a loss for those who knew and loved him. Apparently also a loss for some fans. I support your right to honor him if you wish. Me, I don't yet have all the facts. I have heard that like many, myself included, his life was an inconsistent example. Given that, and that I admit I am generally uninformed about the young man I will wait on joining the beatification process for a while as further facts develope. Perhaps in the future your suggestion will interest me.

Young 8 said:
rowediggy said:
Milwalkeysbeast said:
...and if you weren't going to vote for him BEFORE this happened... then you were a biased fan of another team or just not paying attention. He was pretty much objectively among the 2 most deserving no matter how you slice it (he bobbled a few gimme interceptions, which would have been the different between excellent stats and true STUD stats). Thus everyone vote for him anyway! :lmao: //voted
i thoughtGibril Wilson

Micheal Lewis

Roy Williams

Jermaine Phillips

Bigby

Landry

etc.

were playing in the NFC

:excited:
Roy Williams sucks. As a Redskins fan I love him, he can't cover anyone. Most overrated player in the NFL.

Honest question to any and all not wanting or willing to place a Pro Bowl vote for Sean Taylor:

Which NFC free safeties have played better than he did this year? Based on their play on the field (which is what a Pro Bowl selection is rewarding) who has outperformed Taylor?

Personally, I don't think anyone was close. Everyone raves about how great Deion Sanders was as a cover corner because "he took away half the field". Depending on field position Taylor was taking much more than half the field away from opposing offenses. Anything more than 15-20 yards away from the LOS was off limits when he was in the secondary. Even if Taylor were alive today, and simply missing the rest of the season due to injury, he would get my vote without hesitation.

A little off-topic, but has anyone added ST to their fantasy team? Did anyone add Kevin Everitt? Very minor way to honor somebody, but still, what is more important than FF?

I haven't, I'm still in playoff running (not that that is a good enough excuse, just the truth), but if I were out of the playoff run, I certainly would add him.

Thoughts?

Only two incidents I can think of in recent memory other than Darent Williams:Korey Stringer wasn't murdered, but he died of heat exhaustion in the Vikings traning camp six years ago.Fred Lane was murdered by his wife in the offseason seven years ago.

dude, what did Sean Taylor do in life, that I need to honor?! why do you feel that we should all honor this guy?do you go out of your way like this, to make sure people in your hometown honor you boys who've been injured or killed in Iraq?! do you support your local VFW or AFL ? do you donate time to the Knights of Columbus , Lions club, Elks, etc, or any club that donates time and money and resources to charity , mostly to help the poor?

do you give to the united way, salvation army, red cross? Did you help the Katrina Victims, or the Tsunami survivors?!

U probably answered NO to each of those questions, am I right?

why, then , do you feel it necessary to tell me that I should honor someone who I don't know, who I've never met, who has a criminal background including illegal gun possession and alleged assaults , and who has done nothing in his life other than

being a good football player?

sorry, I can think of many other people I *SHOULD* honor..people like those who fought in WW2, Korean War, Vietnam, etc.

women who served in the USO, people who volunteered to help Katrina Victims, etc..

voting for a football player to `honor his memory`, isn't my thing.sorry. Where were you two weeks ago, were you suggesting we vote for ST back then, or did you only get caught up in the media hype once this tragedy happened? its not like John the Baptist was shot and killed here...sure, its a sad story for his family..but, people die every day..4 kids were shot execution style in Newark not too long ago..did you do anything to honor them? they were straight-A students..

I can see honoring someone like Len Bias, who was a straight-laced as you can be, or Pistol Pete, or Pat Tillman; someone like that..

but not a guy who who has a criminal record, runs with the wrong crowd, embraced the criminal lifestyle , and who's been a thug for most of his life.

you need to put things into perspective..

dude, what did Sean Taylor do in life, that I need to honor?! why do you feel that we should all honor this guy?do you go out of your way like this, to make sure people in your hometown honor you boys who've been injured or killed in Iraq?! do you support your local VFW or AFL ? do you donate time to the Knights of Columbus , Lions club, Elks, etc, or any club that donates time and money and resources to charity , mostly to help the poor?

do you give to the united way, salvation army, red cross? Did you help the Katrina Victims, or the Tsunami survivors?!

why, then , do you feel it necessary to tell me that I should honor someone who I don't know, who I've never met, who has a criminal background including illegal gun possession and alleged assaults , and who has done nothing in his life other than

sorry, I can think of many other people I *SHOULD* honor..people like those who fought in WW2, Korean War, Vietnam, etc.

women who served in the USO, people who volunteered to help Katrina Victims, etc..

voting for a football player to `honor his memory`, isn't my thing.sorry. Where were you two weeks ago, were you suggesting we vote for ST back then, or did you only get caught up in the media hype once this tragedy happened? its not like John the Baptist was shot and killed here..I'm not honoring the memory of a guy who had a shady past and ran with the wrong crowd...sure, its a sad story for his family..but, people die every day..4 kids were shot execution style in Newark not too long ago..did you do anything to honor them? they were straight-A students, who never had criminal backgrounds..

I can see honoring someone like Len Bias, who was a straight-laced as you can be, or Pistol Pete, or Pat Tillman; someone like that..

but not a guy who who has a criminal record, runs with the wrong crowd, embraced the criminal lifestyle , and who's been a thug for most of his life.

You sure do know your stuff. :goodposting: Please, tell us more!

voting for a football player to `honor his memory`, isn't my thing.sorry. Where were you two weeks ago, were you suggesting we vote for ST back then, or did you only get caught up in the media hype once this tragedy happened? its not like John the Baptist was shot and killed here..I'm not honoring the memory of a guy who had a shady past and ran with the wrong crowd...sure, its a sad story for his family..but, people die every day..4 kids were shot execution style in Newark not too long ago..did you do anything to honor them? they were straight-A students, who never had criminal backgrounds..

You sure do know your stuff. :rolleyes: Please, tell us more!
This is in no way intended to be rude or degrading, but I agree with Tanner's overall premise. I feel bad for Taylor's family and teammates. Just like I would feel bad if one of my coworkers lost their life and left a young child and wife behind. However, the degree of greiving some (includng the OP) have taken this to is absurd. Sean Taylor was a young man who played pro-football for a living, and earned plenty of money doing it; doesn't seem overly noble to me. There are a lot of good people out there who die everyday from tragic circumstances (car accidents, cancer, heart attacks...). I think it's great when the people they are close to and whose live's they impacted go out of their way to pay respects or the like. If you are a Redskins fan and you were a fan of Taylor, I'm sorry, and understand if you feel putting in a pro-bowl vote for him or changing your screen saver to his picture is a tribute for you. But for someone to come on and tell us we all need to vote for him, or Joe and David need to create a Sean Taylor fund is laughable in my opnion.

but not a guy who who has a criminal record, runs with the wrong crowd, embraced the criminal lifestyle , and who's been a thug for most of his life. you need to put things into perspective..
The most striking part of your post is not the wisdom you thought you were imparting but the ignorance you displayed about Taylor. It makes me sad for you.

This is in no way intended to be rude or degrading, but I agree with Tanner's overall premise. I feel bad for Taylor's family and teammates. Just like I would feel bad if one of my coworkers lost their life and left a young child and wife behind. However, the degree of greiving some (includng the OP) have taken this to is absurd. Sean Taylor was a young man who played pro-football for a living, and earned plenty of money doing it; doesn't seem overly noble to me. There are a lot of good people out there who die everyday from tragic circumstances (car accidents, cancer, heart attacks...). I think it's great when the people they are close to and whose live's they impacted go out of their way to pay respects or the like. If you are a Redskins fan and you were a fan of Taylor, I'm sorry, and understand if you feel putting in a pro-bowl vote for him or changing your screen saver to his picture is a tribute for you. But for someone to come on and tell us we all need to vote for him, or Joe and David need to create a Sean Taylor fund is laughable in my opnion.
If you don't like the emotional aspect of the OP then take that out and answer these questions from a purely "on the field" standpoint.
Honest question to any and all not wanting or willing to place a Pro Bowl vote for Sean Taylor:

Which NFC free safeties have played better than he did this year? Based on their play on the field (which is what a Pro Bowl selection is rewarding) who has outperformed Taylor?

His death is certainly a loss for those who knew and loved him. Apparently also a loss for some fans. I support your right to honor him if you wish. Me, I don't yet have all the facts. I have heard that like many, myself included, his life was an inconsistent example. Given that, and that I admit I am generally uninformed about the young man I will wait on joining the beatification process for a while as further facts develope. Perhaps in the future your suggestion will interest me.
:goodposting:

If you don't like the emotional aspect of the OP then take that out and answer these questions from a purely "on the field" standpoint.

To this point none. IMO the two closest selectable NFC FSs are Ken Hamlin and Gibril Wilson. Hamlin has played very well this season and through week 12, isn't leaps and bounds behind where Taylor was.The fact that Taylor won't play again is an unfortunate, but undeniable factor. It definitely does play a part in who I would select from an on-the-field perspective.

It would be like if I only had one selection at NFC RB, and knew Adrian Peterson wouldn't return again this year. IMO Peterson has outperformed Brian Westbrook, Edgerrin James and Marion Barber to date, but I would have to choose Westbrook based on the expectation that at his current pace, he will outperform Peterson by year's end.

I know, I know... Westbrook could get hurt the first play of week 13 and be out for the season too. Unfortunately, what-ifs can't be factored in, but known facts can.

:waitingfortheberating:

voting for a football player to `honor his memory`, isn't my thing.sorry. Where were you two weeks ago, were you suggesting we vote for ST back then, or did you only get caught up in the media hype once this tragedy happened? its not like John the Baptist was shot and killed here...sure, its a sad story for his family..but, people die every day..4 kids were shot execution style in Newark not too long ago..did you do anything to honor them? they were straight-A students..

As a matter of fact I do being that I am a memebr of the armed forces and have been for over 10 years. I donate my time to local charities and am a member of clubs in my community so before you jump to conclusions about me as a person you need to take a reality check. I am honoring a human being who lost his life who was in the public spotlight. It's individuals like you who jump to conclusions and give this guy the raw end of the deal, just like you jumped to conclusions about me. In case you didn't know, there are good people in this world who do care about other people and don't put down others just to make themselves look good. I bet you really thought your response was justified but before you make assumptions about individuals you get your facts straight. How do you know he "ran with the wrong crowd" or "embraced the criminal lifestyle"? Only by what has been reported and I'm telling you they are not giving you all the facts. You need to check your sources and stop making assumptions.YOU CAN SEE HONORING SOMEONE LIKE LEN BAIS?????????????????

You obviously are off your rocker. You question me for wanting to honor someone who was killed in his hom by an intruder and you want to honor someone who died of a drug overdose? You just shot down any ounce of credability you had, which was very little.

BTW- I did vote ST into the probowl a week ago, for his performance on the field.

Get a life!

P.S. Not once did I tell you you SHOULD honor him. I made a suggestion to people who care who want to do something. You obviously don't fit into either one of those categories.

Your facts are remarkably inaccurate. North was merely making a suggestion to vote for Taylor.

2. The gun charge stemmed from him having his property stolen, he went to recover his property and was confronted by people who had guns, not him. The people who stole his ATV's were the ones who had guns and in a suit against Taylor they tried to turn it around on him and claim he was the one with the fire arms. The truth came out and the charge was dropped, he took probation because he gave someone the beat down for stealing his stuff. The individuals who were charged then came back and tried to send him a message by shooting up the family car.
So they had the guns yet he beat them up? Or are these separate incidents you're speaking of? If so, then at the time when he beat them up did he have a gun?

To this point none. IMO the two closest selectable NFC FSs are Ken Hamlin and Gibril Wilson. Hamlin has played very well this season and through week 12, isn't leaps and bounds behind where Taylor was.The fact that Taylor won't play again is an unfortunate, but undeniable factor. It definitely does play a part in who I would select from an on-the-field perspective.

It would be like if I only had one selection at NFC RB, and knew Adrian Peterson wouldn't return again this year. IMO Peterson has outperformed Brian Westbrook, Edgerrin James and Marion Barber to date, but I would have to choose Westbrook based on the expectation that at his current pace, he will outperform Peterson by year's end.

I know, I know... Westbrook could get hurt the first play of week 13 and be out for the season too. Unfortunately, what-ifs can't be factored in, but known facts can.

:waitingfortheberating:
I don't think any berating is necessary. You've made a fair and valid point. Just one I don't agree with. :goodposting: Personally, I think Taylor was playing far enough ahead of guys like Wilson and Hamlin that his play on the field this year deserves recognition over them. If Adrian Peterson, or Randy Moss, or Antonio Gates or Tom Brady would be missing the rest of the season for some reason or another, I'd still be voting them in at their respective positions. I think Taylor's play, and the way his presence on the field influenced opposing offenses, was Pro Bowl worthy enough, even in an abbreviated season, to still merit a selection.

It's hard to compare Taylor's situation, though, with other positions, because the Pro Bowl ballot only allows one vote/player for free safety. With QBs you get 3, RBs get 3 and WRs get 4 selections. When you're limited to only picking one I understand the decision and the debate changes somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread