What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aaron Brooks (1 Viewer)

Sweetness_34

Footballguy
Except for last year, Brooks has mostly been a top 10 QB in all normal league scoring formats.

And he did that with Joe Horn as his #1 and a bunch of #2s who were not really that good

If Randy Moss stays healthy next year, and given the Raiders D will stink again, Brooks has a legit quadruplet of WRs (Moss, Porter, Curry, Gabriel) and has a horse as a RB who can catch passes too. While the Oak OL was given some criticism last year, they have some real talent there led by Gallery, and considering how much of a statue Kerry was, Brooks' mobility should be huge too.

Is he going to rebound back to top 10 provided he is allowed to start all year? I am really intrigued to grab 2 QBs like Bledsoe & Brooks or Trent Green and Brooks or Drew Brees & Brooks in rounds 5 & 6 this year in redrafts, and play match ups throughout the year.

Oakland's schedule next year is:

Broncos, Chiefs, Chargers twice = Games where Brooks will have to pass 2nd half to win

AFC Central (Browns, Bengals, Steelers, Ravens) = Mixed bag

NFC West (Sea, SF, Rams, AZ) = Lots of scoring required here from QB and bad defenses too

Jets and Texans = bad defenses

I will be targetting him as buy low next year.....

Thoughts? :popcorn:

I've always liked Brooks as a great value. Not sure he's ever been ranked appropriately. I suppose I'll just wait and see.

The one downside obviously is if they do draft a Vince Young or Jay Cutler, then the 2nd half of the season could be when Brooks gets benched for the new QB to start his baptism to the NFL dogs

The one downside obviously is if they do draft a Vince Young or Jay Cutler, then the 2nd half of the season could be when Brooks gets benched for the new QB to start his baptism to the NFL dogs
Raiders don't start rookie QBs

Brooks = top 5 fantasy QB, just like Collins last year.

Moss and Porter are just that good.

How can he fail?

Signed...

a Charger fan.

:sarcasm:

Seriously,

Roughly #15 to 20. Middle of the pack for #2 fantasy QBs.

LOL at riffraff. Yes, I am one of them that was on Collins bandwagon last year. He was not a complete bust but didn't quite live up to the hype of top 5. I will not hype up Brooks to top 5. But expect him around the top 10 just like Kerry was last year. I will take a step back but I haven't seen schedules yet. Regardless Brooks makes too many stupid mistakes to be top 5.

Kerry ended up 11th and 10th best QB scorer the two leagues I owned him which is top 10 considering he was benched late. lol I expect about a repeat of Kerrys performance from Brooks includeing the late season drama of who will start!

One thing I will bet you riffraff. 100 to 1 odds Brooks out performs Rivers! haha

disclosure: I am not a fan of SD or Oakland!

I've got Bledsoe, Warner, and Brooks all in the top ten. The lines are shakey but those are the 3 best groups of receivers in the NFL.

I think Brooks will be a supersleeper this year at QB with Oakland. He's got the targets, the bad D, the decent running game, the decent mobility. He's put up #s before for bad teams without the likes of Moss and Porter. Considering how many points are put up in the West with those solid Os, Brooks will be in passing mode alot. I honestly think top 5 potential is here for him if he can get on the same page with Moss. because as we all know, as Moss goes, so goes everyone around him. Collins out and Brooks in should be a good thing for Moss owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I will bet you riffraff. 100 to 1 odds Brooks out performs Rivers! haha
As much as I'd love the potential of raking in $2000 on a $20 bet. It is a suckers bet since Brooks has always been underrated for fantasy.Even in Brooks' first season as starter, he had 3800 yards and 26 TDs. He's been slightly less than that since, but not too much. Add in his rushing totals and it would be a slam dunk. Rivers would be hard pressed to match that type of production. Only way Rivers wins the bet is if Brooks is benched or gets hurt.But you got me convinced, move him up from #15ish to #9ish.In the Delhomme, Brady, Plummer, and Bledsoe tier.

I've always liked Brooks as a great value. Not sure he's ever been ranked appropriately. I suppose I'll just wait and see.
I rank him as a top 10 QB possibly, because I think Shell will work with his talents, instead of what Haslett did in N.O. ..IMO, his low value and poor season last year was more a result of bad coaching than anything else..the hurricane didn't help either, even Joe Horn shut it down for the year..

its a fresh start for Brooks..he has a good o-line to work behind, great up-n-coming RB in Jordan, and a dynamic pair of WR's with height and speed in Moss and Porter..

let's say VY is off the board at #7 when they pick..does Oakland then take Vernon Davis?!?! if so, how can Brooks fail with those weapons around him?

Davis has been talked about as a potential pick for Oakland if VY is off the board..

:popcorn:

I rank him as a top 10 QB possibly, because I think Shell will work with his talents, instead of what Haslett did in N.O. ..IMO, his low value and poor season last year was more a result of bad coaching than anything else..the hurricane didn't help either, even Joe Horn shut it down for the year..

its a fresh start for Brooks..he has a good o-line to work behind, great up-n-coming RB in Jordan, and a dynamic pair of WR's with height and speed in Moss and Porter..

let's say VY is off the board at #7 when they pick..does Oakland then take Vernon Davis?!?! if so, how can Brooks fail with those weapons around him?

Davis has been talked about as a potential pick for Oakland if VY is off the board..

:popcorn:
I'm blowing off last year for the Saints in my rankings.Brooks has been pretty good thus far in his NFL career. I don't know how you can blame Haslett for a good thing.

Young Brooks used to focus on one WR. If that's a nervous habit then there's a possibility he struggles at first in Oakland. Moss can win most but not every dog fight for the ball.

As a Saints fan, with Brooks it all comes down to the play of the o-line. If the Raiders o-line gives Brooks time, he could deliver a top 5 season with the weapons he has. But, if he has constant pressure, he's going to make the same horrible mistakes he made in NO. Now, how good is the Raider o-line?

People look down on Brooks, but he's the best QB in Saints history. I know he had his share of bonehead plays, but I put more of the blame on the coaches and GM for not having/drafting a defense that he could depend on. How can I fault my QB for his mistakes if he feels he has to make EVERY play? He knew that if he didn't score or didn't try to make a play, his team would fall further behind. That's what Brooks was dealing with in NO, b/c the defense could stop anyone from scoring when it counted.

And what about the laughing after a bad play? Different people handle different things in different ways. For instance, when I'm stressed or upset, I whistle. Just because I'm whistling does that make me less stressed or upset?

I'm a firm believer that QBs really come into their own at the age of 30. Sort of like the 3 year rule for WRs. Brooks turns 30 this year. If anything he should be hitting his stride, not faltering.

I've got Bledsoe, Warner, and Brooks all in the top ten. The lines are shakey but those are the 3 best groups of receivers in the NFL.
Depending on the upcoming preseason hype wagon, this could be a very solid QBBC approach and to be had at basement prices.

Raiders don't start rookie QBs
Raiders don't draft first round QBs. In fact, I was listening to 1140 AM in Sacto last night and they had Artie Gigantino on. Granted a lot of what's being said can be pure smokescreen at this time of year, but he said the Raiders are very happy with what they see in Walter. Brooks will be the stop gap for a year or two and then they plan on getting Walter in there. Artie said that the Raiders are looking for a player with their first round pick who can contribute immediately. They're not looking for a project. He said if Hawk was available they would STRONGLY consider him. Problem is he'll be gone before their pick most likely. I'm thinking they go with Ngata, Vernon Davis, or Huff.

I like the upside that Brooks has. But, given all of his other risk characteristics I can't rank him any higher than QB15 right now even though I could easily see him crack the top 10.

Depending on the upcoming preseason hype wagon, this could be a very solid QBBC approach and to be had at basement prices.
All of them will not be available at basement prices though......I can bet everyone in my leagues is looking at these guys too just like I am.....they all have heard of Moss, Fitz, Boldin, Porter, TO, Glenn, Witten etc :nerd:

Look out for David Carr in that category too. Someone who can become top ten from no where and can be had at bargain priceLook at this set of weapons (assuming Moulds gets traded to Texans which has not yet happened) that can potentially be part of these teams

Warner - Fitz, Boldin, Bryant, Edge

Bledsoe - TO, Glenn, Crayton, Witten, JJ, MBIII

Brooks - Moss, Porter, Curry, Gabriel, Courtney Anderson, Lamont Jordan

David Carr - Andre Johnson, Eric Moulds (?), Jeb Putzier, Reggie Bush, Domanick Davis

What is very interesting is that all of these 4 QBs above NOT only have stud WRs and/or TEs, they ALSO have RBs who have all been great catching the ball out of the backfield and all of whom can score in the passing game too in the redzone

Now add to that the fact that Vernon Davis could easily land up with Warner or Brooks based on their draft position, and how can you not look at these guys as being a great quartet to target for QBBC this upcoming year?

I am sure 1 or maybe eve 2 out of these 4 will not live up the hype because of injuries (Warner/Bledsoe?) or OL (Carr, Warner?) or being benched (Brooks) for a rookie QB at some point issues

Something worth monitoring though definitely.

I like the upside that Brooks has. But, given all of his other risk characteristics I can't rank him any higher than QB15 right now even though I could easily see him crack the top 10.
Please give me your top 14 ...... let's see it. Who do you have in there? Mcnabb? :lmao: Favre (assuming not retiring)? :lmao: Brad Johnson? :lmao: Mark Brunell? :lmao: Phillip Rivers? :lmao: Drew Brees? :lmao: Culpepper? :lmao:

what's the prob with someone having HOFer Favre, McNabb or Cpep in their top 14?

I understand age and injury but geesh you're mocking an opinion before it's given

Brooks is a guy whose fantasy value exceeds his NFL value, so I think he tends to be underestimated in fantasy. He's the opposite of what happened with Troy Aikman.

Please give me your top 14 ...... let's see it. Who do you have in there? Mcnabb? :lmao: Favre (assuming not retiring)? :lmao: Brad Johnson? :lmao: Mark Brunell? :lmao: Phillip Rivers? :lmao: Drew Brees? :lmao: Culpepper? :lmao:
Here's 15 in no particular order that I'd have over Brooks as of right now.1. Peyton Manning

2. Tom Brady

3. Carson Palmer

4. Matt Hasselbeck

5. Donovan McNabb

6. Eli Manning

7. Drew Bledsoe

8. Marc Bulger

9. Drew Brees

10. Jake Delhomme

11. Ben Roethlisberger

12. Jake Plummer

13. Michael Vick

14. Kurt Warner

15. Trent Green

Add Favre and Culpepper to that list if they are both back and healthy.

Cincy? I agree that they are all very strong though. Of course.

As far as Brooks goes, I'm really confused. I really have no idea what he'll do as I could see him put up anywhere between top5-20 #s. I definitely think he has the arm strength, but other areas aren't so special. Maybe near 8-10 tops is what I'm leaning towards right now.

Not going to happen, unless your leaguemates are really bad. Everyone on here will have these guys in their top 15. What does make them (and all other midrange QBs likable) is the fact that I see the #5 to #15 QBs lasting until rounds 6 to 9 of a 12 team draft. With last year's failure of the top QBs (Manning, Cpep, and McNabb) to deliver, people will be even more inclined to wait on QBs. Combine the 3 listed with Plummer, Delhomme, T. Green, etc. and you'll have a big pack of midrange QBs going fairly late in drafts.

Users who are viewing this thread