What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

About Adrian Peterson's record (3 Viewers)

Eric Dickerson rookie year....390 carries, 1,808 yards, 18 Tds. All-Pro, Pro Bowl, Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year honors.I love ADP but think we need not to forget what backs before him have done. Some people saying he is greatest RB ever never saw Dickerson play his rookie year. ADP reminds me alot of Dickerson actually but he still has a long way to go before we consider him in the class of some of the best RBs ever.
I saw Dickerson take every snap his rookie year, and believe me - ADP is better. I never saw Jim Brown play, but I've seen all the great ones since. Not one of them had the gears and moves ADP does when he sees daylight. Could he and will he get better as a more complete back? Yep. But right now he is the best pure runner that this league has ever seen.
Don't get me wrong, I think ADP is great but I do not see him as better than Dickerson right now. I too watched E. Dickerson and he was simply amazing. He hit holes so quick and once he got past them, he was gone. The guy was sick. No way I can call ADP the "best pure runner the league has ever seen" after 8 games.

There's no question the O-Line is creating OPPORTUNITIES for him. But this guy sees that opportunity and "runs with it". Or should I say explodes with it.

Another thing is that the O-line definitely is making the difference for some of his runs. But, go back and look at AP's run to set up his 1st TD yesterday. He went to the outside and there were 3-4 SD defenders that thought they had an angle to take him down or push him OOB. What happened? AP revved it up to some 6th or 7th gear and just blew right by them. I'm not sure there are more than 1-2 RB's in the league that could have turned that corner that fast and I don't think there are any, save LT, that can do it on a consistent basis like AP is. That run had nothing to do with the O-line. And it's not the only one.

Yes, the O-line deserves credit, but to state that's the only reason for success is overboard. We're witnessing one of the best 1st half season performances of a RB EVER. There have been better O-lines on other teams. And this guy has no other support from the passing game. And let's not forget he's a ROOKIE. It's scary to think he may not have even hit his prime yet, let alone adjusted to the NFL yet.

Ahhhhh, what am I thinking? He's adjusted just fine :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had great seats for this amazing game in which AD made history. But one thing strikes me as I look back: The guy could easily have had 400 yards. He nearly broke away 4 or 5 other runs, and everything he did simply looked too easy, despite the fact that the defense was keying on him. Had the game been any closer, he could have gotten a few more carries, and more passes thrown his way as well (not that that impacts rushing yards, but still).Just my 2 cents.
his last big run before the 3yd record breaker, looked like it could have gone the distance. he high stepped and then got horse collared, could have been 350 easy. :bs: for being at that game. i was either going to this game, the oakland game in two weeks or the giant game in three weeks. we decided to do an AC/NY trip (from DC) and go see the giants game. hopefully he can have something special saved for that game too.
Not to rub that in... but I'll be at Lambeau field next Sunday for Packers v. Vikings II. And yes, I'm fully aware that two weeks in a row of watching All Day slash defenses to shreds will render me an addict with a man crush. :shrug:

Eric Dickerson rookie year....390 carries, 1,808 yards, 18 Tds. All-Pro, Pro Bowl, Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year honors.I love ADP but think we need not to forget what backs before him have done. Some people saying he is greatest RB ever never saw Dickerson play his rookie year. ADP reminds me alot of Dickerson actually but he still has a long way to go before we consider him in the class of some of the best RBs ever.
I saw Dickerson take every snap his rookie year, and believe me - ADP is better. I never saw Jim Brown play, but I've seen all the great ones since. Not one of them had the gears and moves ADP does when he sees daylight. Could he and will he get better as a more complete back? Yep. But right now he is the best pure runner that this league has ever seen.
Don't get me wrong, I think ADP is great but I do not see him as better than Dickerson right now. I too watched E. Dickerson and he was simply amazing. He hit holes so quick and once he got past them, he was gone. The guy was sick. No way I can call ADP the "best pure runner the league has ever seen" after 8 games.
I've seen a lot of power backs with good speed and some fast backs with okay power, but nothing like the speed/power combination this kid has. The only guys I can come up with are Dickerson and Bo Jackson. As far as physical tools are concerned, nobody matches up with AP better than Bo. Dickerson was a beast with near world-class speed, but he was not nearly as powerful as runner as AP is. Once he clears the line and gets to the 2nd level, there aren't too many DB's out there who want any parts of him.

I've seen a lot of power backs with good speed and some fast backs with okay power, but nothing like the speed/power combination this kid has. The only guys I can come up with are Dickerson and Bo Jackson. As far as physical tools are concerned, nobody matches up with AP better than Bo. Dickerson was a beast with near world-class speed, but he was not nearly as powerful as runner as AP is. Once he clears the line and gets to the 2nd level, there aren't too many DB's out there who want any parts of him.
:confused: Fantasy football aside, let's hope this kid's career isn't cut short like Bo's was due to injury and we can enjoy watching what he does for years to come. That's what I hope for most of all as an NFL fan.

Thanks for the Dickerson rookie stats. AD is avg 2 yards a carry more than Dickerson did his rookie year. AD is on pace for about 70 less carries and 200 more yrds than Dickerson's rookie year. This is going to be fun to watch play out for the next 8 games.

Not to play Devil's avocate, but has anyone thought that when you have 8 or 9 in the box to stop ADP, that there are only 2 or 3 three guys left to beat after he blows by the line?
:hot:
Isn't the point of having 8 or 9 in the box to not let the back get past the line of scrimmage?
In theory, sure. But this kid jukes the first man (or three) like no other, so it actually backfires.
I guess I'm missing the point then. :rolleyes:

Not to play Devil's avocate, but has anyone thought that when you have 8 or 9 in the box to stop ADP, that there are only 2 or 3 three guys left to beat after he blows by the line?
:thumbup:
Isn't the point of having 8 or 9 in the box to not let the back get past the line of scrimmage?
In theory, sure. But this kid jukes the first man (or three) like no other, so it actually backfires.
I guess I'm missing the point then. :sadbanana:
You're not the only one. It's all about coming up with irrational justification for why Peterson is tearing up the league. How about leaving it at "he's as talented of a running back as there is in the NFL?"

Isn't it silly to think that some teams may have to put in a nickel defense to stop this guy from busting these huge runs? May actually be true, though.

Isn't it silly to think that some teams may have to put in a nickel defense to stop this guy from busting these huge runs? May actually be true, though.
That is the point, Andy. What are you missing? :thumbup:
If that was the point, why did you quote another post?And playing nickel isn't going to help either. It may get your d-back's killed.

I'd run something unconventional like a 4-4 and not stack the line against the Vikings. With the lack of passing game, I'd think your d-backs could play man on the Vikes WRs. But I'm not much for the defensive side of the ball, so I'm just guessing here.

YOU CAN'T STOP HIM. YOU CAN ONLY HOPE TO CONTAIN HIM!!! :pickle: :headbang:

This is starting to have shades of "Why don't teams jam Randy Moss at the line of scrimmage? That would stop him."

This is starting to have shades of "Why don't teams jam Randy Moss at the line of scrimmage? That would stop him."
Just imagine if Moss were still in MN. Probably the 2 best offensive weapons in the game in AD and Moss. Just sign an average QB and it's Superbowl homeboy. Instead we have Troy Williamson, thanks ownership :confused:

dickey moe said:
Sopranos said:
He is the best RB i have ever seen play.
Ok, the kid is great, but c'mon...
Is this the thread where we say: "If the defense just would have stopped tackling him, he would have probably had 600+ yards rushing." ? :) I love ADP, but lets calm down for a minute here.

The one person who can stop Peterson is me (and sometimes Childress). He was on my bench vs. the Bears D (42 points and 3 TDs in that game), and rode the pine yesterday against the Chargers D (49 points and 3 TDs). I was clever enough to convince myself to play Kevin Jones (71 yds) instead. :excited: :shrug: :hifive:

Anyway, I'm not sure why the Eagles and Cowboys' games were so different than the Bears and Chargers. The Eagles game was a close game (within a TD at the start of Q4), and so was the Dallas game (DAL had a 7 point lead at the end of 3Q). Is it just the highly unpredictable big play difference, or is it about the quality of the second tier of defenders to prevent the long play? Longest run vs Eagles was 17 yards. Longest vs. Dallas was 20 yards (TD). Against the Bears, he had 67, 73, 35 yd TD runs. We all know the Chargers story on giving up the big play, but they had only allowed 2 rushing TDs all year until yesterday's game: Sammy Morris scored with 3 mins left in the Pats blowout game, and Brandon Jackson scored with less than a minute left in the GB game. Does anyone have insight to the Chargers seeming implosing vs. Peterson?

Andy Dufresne said:
RAIDERNATION said:
Andy Dufresne said:
RAIDERNATION said:
pigskin pimp said:
:rolleyes:
I guess I'm missing the point then. :rolleyes:
You're not missing the point-they are. He'd still be racking up huge numbers if teams played their base Ds. If you can, go look at some of his runs at OU. Teams were forced to defend that pass rather than stacking the line and AD still had huge runs where he was just weaving through the secondary making people miss 10, 20 and 30 yards down the field.

I love watching the kid play and think he is a phenom. I just want to give some credit to the WRs on the Vikings, they were blocking as well as I have ever seen WRs block. I think good blocking and good running go hand in hand. If you were on the field playing for the vikings yesterday wouldn't you think you would be more inclined to block harder, play tougher for this kid? And if you are AD don't you think you want to run that much harder for the guys doing a lot of work to spring you? You rarely set records on your own in sports. That was a whole team effort, with a great RB able to achive it.

The one person who can stop Peterson is me (and sometimes Childress). He was on my bench vs. the Bears D (42 points and 3 TDs in that game), and rode the pine yesterday against the Chargers D (49 points and 3 TDs). I was clever enough to convince myself to play Kevin Jones (71 yds) instead. :thumbup: :rolleyes: :angry: Anyway, I'm not sure why the Eagles and Cowboys' games were so different than the Bears and Chargers. The Eagles game was a close game (within a TD at the start of Q4), and so was the Dallas game (DAL had a 7 point lead at the end of 3Q). Is it just the highly unpredictable big play difference, or is it about the quality of the second tier of defenders to prevent the long play? Longest run vs Eagles was 17 yards. Longest vs. Dallas was 20 yards (TD). Against the Bears, he had 67, 73, 35 yd TD runs. We all know the Chargers story on giving up the big play, but they had only allowed 2 rushing TDs all year until yesterday's game: Sammy Morris scored with 3 mins left in the Pats blowout game, and Brandon Jackson scored with less than a minute left in the GB game. Does anyone have insight to the Chargers seeming implosing vs. Peterson?
I know his father attended the Dallas game. Apparently, he doesn't perform well in front of Pop's.

The one person who can stop Peterson is me (and sometimes Childress). He was on my bench vs. the Bears D (42 points and 3 TDs in that game), and rode the pine yesterday against the Chargers D (49 points and 3 TDs). I was clever enough to convince myself to play Kevin Jones (71 yds) instead. :kicksrock: :thumbdown: :bag: Anyway, I'm not sure why the Eagles and Cowboys' games were so different than the Bears and Chargers. The Eagles game was a close game (within a TD at the start of Q4), and so was the Dallas game (DAL had a 7 point lead at the end of 3Q). Is it just the highly unpredictable big play difference, or is it about the quality of the second tier of defenders to prevent the long play? Longest run vs Eagles was 17 yards. Longest vs. Dallas was 20 yards (TD). Against the Bears, he had 67, 73, 35 yd TD runs. We all know the Chargers story on giving up the big play, but they had only allowed 2 rushing TDs all year until yesterday's game: Sammy Morris scored with 3 mins left in the Pats blowout game, and Brandon Jackson scored with less than a minute left in the GB game. Does anyone have insight to the Chargers seeming implosing vs. Peterson?
I know his father attended the Dallas game. Apparently, he doesn't perform well in front of Pop's.
12 carries for 63 yrds and a TD not really a poor performance, more lack of opportunity...

He is absolutely amazing, and he could not be in a better place, frankly. This team is built entirely around running the ball and stopping the run. Everybody moans about Childress, but AP is EXTREMELY fortunate to be on a team with a steam-rolling, powerhouse offensive line with somebody like Hutch pulverizing holes in the d-line. AP is possibly the most explosive RB there is, and he has possibly the best o-line there is, which is why you're seeing these ridiculous yardage totals happen. Don't forget that Taylor had 60 yards and a score, too. This offensive line is monstrous.
Great point I watched the majority of the game and that offensive line is ridiculous I mean they were creating huge holes and with Peterson's ability he hits the holes and with an amazing speed and just pulls away from defenders. Can you imagine if a defense had to worry at all about them passing?
:pokey: His explosion when he hits the hole is simply amazing, followed by the quick hip-juke on the first defender. If Cedric Benson ever bothered to watch a tape of this kid, he'd be so ashamed of how he plays the same position in the same sport, he'd retire immediately.The big question: will there be any big ticket QBs/WRs available in the free agent market?
Derek Anderson will be a RFA this offseason...I mean, if the Vikes are willing to start the ex-Brown Holcomb, then they'd love DA.
I don't think Anderson would be a good fit. He does well in Cleveland because he trusts his receivers to make plays and they do. I don't think Sydney Rice or Troy Williamson would be able to make these plays.

Alot of people told us OU fans that he would not put up numbers like he did in college because the competition is so much more even. I was ecstatic when he was still on the board for Minnesota's pick. Am I disappointed in the Vikings season, you bet, but I am ecstatic to see Peterson do the same thing in the NFL that he did in college. If he can stay healthy, it is going to be a very fun career to watch.
:hifive: Just think what he could be doing with a decent head coach and a qb to free up the run. Thats the thing that just amazes me is he did this with the vikes not even having a very good passing game. Even with the Chargers trying to shut him down he was still breaking off huge runs.
You're knocking Childress after 1 1/2 years?? :wub: Come on man, give the guy at least three years to bring in players he wants and not ones that Tice left over.

Eric Dickerson rookie year....

390 carries, 1,808 yards, 18 Tds. All-Pro, Pro Bowl, Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year honors.

I love ADP but think we need not to forget what backs before him have done. Some people saying he is greatest RB ever never saw Dickerson play his rookie year. ADP reminds me alot of Dickerson actually but he still has a long way to go before we consider him in the class of some of the best RBs ever.
And AP is on pace for 2072 rushing 16 rushing TDs on 316 carries. That's how amazing this kid is.

The one person who can stop Peterson is me (and sometimes Childress). He was on my bench vs. the Bears D (42 points and 3 TDs in that game), and rode the pine yesterday against the Chargers D (49 points and 3 TDs). I was clever enough to convince myself to play Kevin Jones (71 yds) instead. :bag: :blackdot: :bag: Anyway, I'm not sure why the Eagles and Cowboys' games were so different than the Bears and Chargers. The Eagles game was a close game (within a TD at the start of Q4), and so was the Dallas game (DAL had a 7 point lead at the end of 3Q). Is it just the highly unpredictable big play difference, or is it about the quality of the second tier of defenders to prevent the long play? Longest run vs Eagles was 17 yards. Longest vs. Dallas was 20 yards (TD). Against the Bears, he had 67, 73, 35 yd TD runs. We all know the Chargers story on giving up the big play, but they had only allowed 2 rushing TDs all year until yesterday's game: Sammy Morris scored with 3 mins left in the Pats blowout game, and Brandon Jackson scored with less than a minute left in the GB game. Does anyone have insight to the Chargers seeming implosing vs. Peterson?
Inca I did the same thing! :bag: :wub:

The one person who can stop Peterson is me (and sometimes Childress). He was on my bench vs. the Bears D (42 points and 3 TDs in that game), and rode the pine yesterday against the Chargers D (49 points and 3 TDs). I was clever enough to convince myself to play Kevin Jones (71 yds) instead. :lmao: :P :bag: Anyway, I'm not sure why the Eagles and Cowboys' games were so different than the Bears and Chargers. The Eagles game was a close game (within a TD at the start of Q4), and so was the Dallas game (DAL had a 7 point lead at the end of 3Q). Is it just the highly unpredictable big play difference, or is it about the quality of the second tier of defenders to prevent the long play? Longest run vs Eagles was 17 yards. Longest vs. Dallas was 20 yards (TD). Against the Bears, he had 67, 73, 35 yd TD runs. We all know the Chargers story on giving up the big play, but they had only allowed 2 rushing TDs all year until yesterday's game: Sammy Morris scored with 3 mins left in the Pats blowout game, and Brandon Jackson scored with less than a minute left in the GB game. Does anyone have insight to the Chargers seeming implosing vs. Peterson?
Inca I did the same thing! :bag: :lmao:
The Chargers lost DE Luis Castillo at (I think) the start of the second half, and that's when the fun started. ADP had "only" around 40 yards in the first half.In a 2-RB, 12-team, 0.5-PPR league, I started Addai and Kevin Jones instead of Addai and ADP. Incredibly, I still managed to win by 0.15 points (kid you not), thanks to Addai, TO, and Big Ben. I have learned my lesson...Addai and ADP from here on out!

Users who are viewing this thread