What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adding Laughing Emoji Back - Please Be Cool With This (1 Viewer)

It tells me exactly where I stand. That, like before, people can leave multiple laughing emojis on my posts and there is nothing I can do about it. My only hope is that "other people" report it to the mods, which I am skeptical will happen (although I hope I am wrong). 
You are (intentionally?) misunderstanding the quote.  If you ("global you" = anyone) see anyone use the laughing emoji to laugh AT other people (other people = "someone other than the poster who used the emoji"), report it.

:confused:   Where you stand? I'm telling you to report it if someone uses the laughing emoji on your posts to laugh at you. That's as clear as we can make it. 

OK, but your exact wording before was: 

"Please report it if you see people using the emoji to laugh AT other people"

The way I read that was that I could only report it if people were using it to laugh at other people, in other words at anyone but myself. Thanks for the clarification. 

I was glad to see that emoji go as it was not unusual to have 2-3 laughing emojis on seemingly every one of my serious posts in this forum, with the only intent being to ridicule me. I expect to see that again, but as before, there is nothing I will be able to do about it.
Why not just wear these as a badge of honor?

Think of it as "Q.E.D." rather than something to be annoyed over.

You are (intentionally?) misunderstanding the quote.  If you ("global you" = anyone) see anyone use the laughing emoji to laugh AT other people (other people = "someone other than the poster who used the emoji"), report it.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair question.

Because my goal here is simple:

1. Create a good community.

2. Encourage good discussion.

Laughing AT someone hurts both of those goals. It's mocking and bullying and I don't want our forum to be about either of those things. 
Thank you Joe.

Personally, I think it's kind of silly and will likely be a headache to enforce. Some people drop off for a season and then return to discover "new rules" about forbidden phrases and emoji's - sometimes the hard way. Not a big deal for me, I can comply and prefer the old school  :lmao:  when laughing at a response. 

"I never argue comedy. I laughed, you didn't" - Roger Ebert

I'm fine with it being taken away again, immediately. Sometimes folks just can't have nice things. This definitely seems like one of those things. 

I'm fine with it being taken away again, immediately. Sometimes folks just can't have nice things. This definitely seems like one of those things. 
The other FBG forum sections would prefer to just get rid of the PSF instead, can see why.  

Why not just wear these as a badge of honor?

Think of it as "Q.E.D." rather than something to be annoyed over.

Sorry, but I had several people follow me around this forum and seemingly did laughing emojis on just about every post. Maybe if it had happened to you with that frequency, you might have been annoyed too. I do not find being constantly ridiculed in that passive aggressive manner in any way amusing. 

seriously people start blocking people that you are all whining about in every thread , its the seem crap every day 
ruins every thread and discussion 

The other FBG forum sections would prefer to just get rid of the PSF instead, can see why.  
I can understand checking it out, out of curiosity but, if it's not for you there's no need to return. Why have this opinion at all when it's easy enough to avoid? 

Putting it this way: I have really no interest in the assistant coach forum so I haven't been in there for years. A better example is that I have even less interest in the baseball or basketball forums and have never stepped foot in either of them. Hell, this is a dedicated fantasy football site so I don't even understand why those forums exist but, I'm not going to say I prefer they were gotten rid of. I simply don't go in them.

(From a business perspective I do understand why those other sports forums exist but, that's not the point of my post.)

I can understand checking it out, out of curiosity but, if it's not for you there's no need to return. Why have this opinion at all when it's easy enough to avoid? 

Putting it this way: I have really no interest in the assistant coach forum so I haven't been in there for years. A better example is that I have even less interest in the baseball or basketball forums and have never stepped foot in either of them. Hell, this is a dedicated fantasy football site so I don't even understand why those forums exist but, I'm not going to say I prefer they were gotten rid of. I simply don't go in them.

(From a business perspective I do understand why those other sports forums exist but, that's not the point of my post.)
?

Can only interpret this as "since I don't go into the other forums, I don't care if they want the laughing emoji back or not".  Well ok then.  Again, can see why others would prefer to get rid of a subsect then lose features because said subsect can never handle itself.  

The same people who abuse it really struggle without it. It's their way of convincing themselves they got the last "laugh" after they've been thoroughly disproven or start to get in over their head on what they're talking about. 
If they combined it with a response that stuck to the subject matter they would probably be taken more seriously. But as you said it's basically admitting defeat without losing rolling face.

If they combined it with a response that stuck to the subject matter they would probably be taken more seriously. But as you said it's basically admitting defeat without losing rolling face.
Oh yeah...when I get a laugh at a real post...it typically lets me know I was probably pretty spot on with what I had to say.

Sorry, but I had several people follow me around this forum and seemingly did laughing emojis on just about every post. Maybe if it had happened to you with that frequency, you might have been annoyed too. I do not find being constantly ridiculed in that passive aggressive manner in any way amusing. 
To state poorly some Buddhist wisdom - just because these posters shot the first arrow at you it is the second arrow of your reaction that hits you.  And in this case begs them to continue.

But enough of this.  These types of posts usually backfire on me and end up counterproductive after a reply or two.  I can live with  just trying and hope to not have annoyed or been condescending to anyone.

To state poorly some Buddhist wisdom - just because these posters shot the first arrow at you it is the second arrow of your reaction that hits you.  And in this case begs them to continue.

But enough of this.  These types of posts usually backfire on me and end up counterproductive after a reply or two.  I can live with  just trying and hope to not have annoyed or been condescending to anyone.

:mellow:

So, I am to blame for the people who seemingly posted laughing emojis on my every post? Interesting take that I completely disagree with. 

?

Can only interpret this as "since I don't go into the other forums, I don't care if they want the laughing emoji back or not".  Well ok then.  Again, can see why others would prefer to get rid of a subsect then lose features because said subsect can never handle itself.  
My apologies, I didn't catch the full gist of your first post and was only responding to the notion of getting rid of a forum that I thought you didn't like, which was a misinterpretation on my part. Yes, I can see your original point now. I do use other forums here often and understand your point of view. I still don't care if this particular emoji is back or not as I've never used it. I'm fine either way, stay or go.

Oh yeah...when I get a laugh at a real post...it typically lets me know I was probably pretty spot on with what I had to say.

Lol from both of you. Jeez, it’s like you guys are begging for them because you need the attention. And you guys hand them out as much as you receive which makes this stuff more hilarious.  

Imagine taking your dog to the park and striking up a conversation with a fellow dog owner about current events. After you express your opinion on something, the other owner looks at you and laughs right in your face as if to say, 'How could you be so dumb to think that?'

That's the level of discourse some of you think isn't a big deal around here. 

Imagine taking your dog to the park and striking up a conversation with a fellow dog owner about current events. After you express your opinion on something, the other owner looks at you and laughs right in your face as if to say, 'How could you be so dumb to think that?'

What did you say?

the only one i've seen on this board to post the laughing emoji with no content, like literally has no posts is @Mr Clutch

oddly enough his profile says he last visited in 2004.   very strange.

Some things are so trollish that they are hilarious.  Technically, Joe would probably say I'm laughing AT that person when I'm really just laughing at how ridiculous the post is.  That said, I'm serious and not trying to be an ### here when I say are you, or anyone, really that triggered by an emoji?  I totally understood when replies to posts were emojis only because it makes the board a PITA to read.  But hitting a like, a cry, or a laugh emoji on the post - who really cares?  It doesn't change the way I read the board at all.  

The level of discourse on this board is no different with or without the emojis.  

Hi Folks,

We're going to give it another try with the laughing emoji as one of the response choices. 

The big thing here is we want to use it for laughing WITH people.

Never to laugh AT people. 

It had been abused enough we finally removed it a while back.

I'm willing to give it a try again and see if people can be more cool this time.

Please let's try to make this work. 

Thanks.
@Dickies   🤣🤣

It was irresistible wasn't it?

As someone who values your contributions to this board, I’m telling you: you just gotta let that #### go. It has nothing to do with what’s fair or whether other posters are annoying. It ultimately comes down to this: Any time you spend being angry about anything that happens in this forum is time in your life you’ll  never get back

As someone who values your contributions to this board, I’m telling you: you just gotta let that #### go. It has nothing to do with what’s fair or whether other posters are annoying. It ultimately comes down to this: Any time you spend being angry about anything that happens in this forum is time in your life you’ll  never get back
Yep. Don't pet the sweaty stuff...err sweat the petty stuff.

@Joe Bryanthas done something many have asked for and still we have some people picking nits and airing grievances. For the love of all that is holy, can you just let it rest and take the win?! In the immortal word of Frank Drebin, “nothing to see here, please disperse!”
No matter how much sense it makes no policy will ever bat 1.000. Doesn't mean anyone needs to listen to its dissenters though 

Exactly.  @squistion is a part of this family, however ####ed up and dysfunctional it is.  Like my old boss used to say, “Don’t let the bastards get you down.”

Exactly.  @squistion is a part of this family, however ####ed up and dysfunctional it is.  Like my old boss used to say, “Don’t let the bastards get you down.”
It can be hard though.  Just look at how dedicated some posters are to ridiculous topics like the election was stolen, Biden is responsible for inflation, Putin wouldn't have invaded if Trump were in office, etc.

It's astounding and frustrating how uninformed and or deliberately misleading some folks are. 

It can be hard though.  Just look at how dedicated some posters are to ridiculous topics like the election was stolen, Biden is responsible for inflation, Putin wouldn't have invaded if Trump were in office, etc.

It's astounding and frustrating how uninformed and or deliberately misleading some folks are. 
Could you please dial it back for how terrible the posters are here? You’re doing the exact opposite of what we’re trying to do here with asking people to be cool to each other. 

You did this a couple of weeks ago with your post insulting others of 

“Just the level of intelligence we're dealing with here.”
Please drop it. 

I tend to agree but there's no right answer to correct the misinformation.  I've been suspended multiple times for what I don't consider egregious.  It's just not worth interacting in the Political Forum because of the vitriol.  

I get all that, but ultimately, getting mad at things that don’t matter and/or you can’t control is a recipe for making yourself miserable. And people saying dumb things in the Politics Forum is definitely a case where both criteria apply

I tend to agree but there's no right answer to correct the misinformation.  I've been suspended multiple times for what I don't consider egregious.  It's just not worth interacting in the Political Forum because of the vitriol.  

On these boards?  Sure there is - use the ingore function like requested, and stop quoting those people.   Along with the bolded we have others who bog down threads with arguments about definitions of words and what people really said,  etc.      I would guess if asked to put a list of people together who do this stuff, we would probably overlap on 75% of the answers.  Everybody, well besides RW I guess, knows who is being talked about but over and over people still engage them and quote them.   As though THIS is the time you are going to get them to contribute anything to the conversation after how many years of trying! 

I get it, I have and do engage in the above but my ignore list is growing and now unfortunately it's starting to include people I don't mind, but constantly quote all the others.   Makes a much more relaxing and thought provoking visit to the PSF.  

On these boards?  Sure there is - use the ingore function like requested, and stop quoting those people.   Along with the bolded we have others who bog down threads with arguments about definitions of words and what people really said,  etc.      I would guess if asked to put a list of people together who do this stuff, we would probably overlap on 75% of the answers.  Everybody, well besides RW I guess, knows who is being talked about but over and over people still engage them and quote them.   As though THIS is the time you are going to get them to contribute anything to the conversation after how many years of trying! 

I get it, I have and do engage in the above but my ignore list is growing and now unfortunately it's starting to include people I don't mind, but constantly quote all the others.   Makes a much more relaxing and thought provoking visit to the PSF.  
This is an ironic post

Users who are viewing this thread