What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Al Franken allegations (4 Viewers)

I know this would likely not happen, but Franken should resign immediately - even if he has some semi-plausible story to try and explain it.  Even if he doesn't want to resign, Democrat leadership should make it happen to set an example about how we (as a nation) should handle things like this.  If they do so they could try to claim the moral high ground despite the event and maybe negate some of the whataboutism that has been happening with this stuff.  

Oh, and assuming this happened even remotely like it has been described, Franken is an ###.

Never defended him on these boards?  
I think the Russian collusion angle is WAY overblown and that many get into conspiracy theories due to their hatred of Trump.  But let's not cloud the subject here, doesn't seem like the place for it.

It's not just the pic, it's her allegations as well:

"He repeated that actors really need to rehearse everything and that we must practice the kiss. I said ‘OK’ so he would stop badgering me. We did the line leading up to the kiss and then he came at me, put his hand on the back of my head, mashed his lips against mine and aggressively stuck his tongue in my mouth."
I mentioned in the other two threads discussing this as well - the scene was Al Franken playing Saddam Hussein sexually harassing Leeann Tweeden.  That makes rehearsing grabbing her and kissing her a little murky from the sexual harassment standpoint.  The photo is significantly more of an issue for me, even if (as it appears) he didn't touch her in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brandon Neely‏ @BrandonTXNeely 10m10 minutes ago

I can guarantee that not one person on the left will attempt to use the Bible

to defend Al Franken’s actions unlike the right.
Anyone defending in any way is a hypocrite and a piece of garbage IMO. He needs to go.

I mentioned in the other two threads discussing this as well - the scene was Al Franken playing Saddam Hussein sexually harassing Leeann Tweeden.  That makes rehearsing grabbing her and kissing her a little murky from the sexual harassment standpoint.  The photo is significantly more of an issue for me, even if (as it appears) he didn't touch her.
Franken evidently wrote the scene himself and repeatedly insisted on rehearsing it, evidently in private.

It might make things legally murky, but morally I find it pretty crystal clear what was going on.

I mentioned in the other two threads discussing this as well - the scene was Al Franken playing Saddam Hussein sexually harassing Leeann Tweeden.  That makes rehearsing grabbing her and kissing her a little murky from the sexual harassment standpoint.  The photo is significantly more of an issue for me, even if (as it appears) he didn't touch her in it.
Not that murky if he really shoved his tongue down her throat at rehearsal.  

Anyone defending in any way is a hypocrite and a piece of garbage IMO. He needs to go.
John #CBBUS‏ @J_PopCultureFan 2m2 minutes ago

If I read one more comment asking, "Well, Liberals/Democrats what do you have to say about Al Franken?" ...

I don't see anyone defending him. I'm sure as hell not.

So, please, feel free to denounce Moore AND Trump now, too.

Franken evidently wrote the scene himself and repeatedly insisted on rehearsing it, evidently in private.

It might make things legally murky, but morally I find it pretty crystal clear what was going on.
Ooof, he wrote the sketch? I was open to giving him the benefit of doubt depending what other details emerged, but yeah, if he wrote this sketch it's pretty damn clear what was going on. Time to pack your bags and go. 

Not if he intended to shove his tongue down her throat in the scene.  

As I said, I think that part alone would be murky.  The picture, even alone, isn't.
I don't think that makes it murky.  That just makes it sound like he wrote a sketch for the sole purpose of getting to shove his tongue down the throat of a hot chick.  Which is super creepy, but pretty Hollywood.  

Observation:  A few characters who may act in a similar manner and generally lambast all things to the left of the alt-right are oddly missing from this red meat subject....

Could the reality that Trump is in the same boat as these #######s be coming home to roost in that it will be harder to defend Trump himself as to what should have been indefensible over a year ago? And to be honest they are all the exact same, Moore dated underage girls, Franken assaulted an actress who was also in a a way his "underling" and Trump has admitted to sexual assault, has been named by what, over a dozen women, has been accused of multiple instances of purposefully walking into rooms with underage girls in various stages of undress)

Observation:  A few characters who may act in a similar manner and generally lambast all things to the left of the alt-right are oddly missing from this red meat subject....

Could the reality that Trump is in the same boat as these #######s be coming home to roost in that it will be harder to defend Trump himself as to what should have been indefensible over a year ago? And to be honest they are all the exact same, Moore dated underage girls, Franken assaulted an actress who was also in a a way his "underling" and Trump has admitted to sexual assault, has been named by what, over a dozen women, has been accused of multiple instances of purposefully walking into rooms with underage girls in various stages of undress)
pics or it didn't happen

It would be the most Democrat thing ever to force Al Franken to resign while Trump stays in office.  Damn our moral convictions!
It would be the most Republican thing to get Moore elected and find a moment in time when Franken is kicked out but Moore is not quite kicked out so they have enough votes to push through a couple awful pieces of legislation... all the while not doing anything about those still sitting in Congress who have done at least as much

So, can we talk about whether we agree that the picture is "groping" as claimed by the conservative talk show lady? I mean, to me, groping requires actual physical contact. Is it juvenile and in really poor taste? Yes, of course, and it isn't something I'd ever do. But I can't say I agree with her accusation that she was groped. She indicates that she was asleep and didn't notice it happening at the time and only knew about it via the photo. I'll be honest that her characterizing that photo as being "groped" does make me question the veracity of her version of the kissing (which she did eventually agree to rehearse), especially combined with the political differences between the two (she being a conservative pundit, Al Franken being one of the more liberal Senators).

As others have said, if there are more accusers I'd become more willing to trust this accuser, but given the political moment, the only evidence at hand, and the people involved, I'm skeptical.

I think people make too much of the audio tape of Trump discussing "scenarios" which can be explained away as bragging (like a teenager bragging about his sexual escapades, etc) and not enough of the Summer Zervos stuff.  Aren't there like 16 women that came forward?  I can't recall if that's true.  But the world has changed a lot in the last month regarding this subject.  Someone in the media will likely figure that out soon, round up all the women and use that as a weapon against Trump, as a woman's testimony is far more powerful than idle bragging from Donald Trump.

So, can we talk about whether we agree that the picture is "groping" as claimed by the conservative talk show lady? I mean, to me, groping requires actual physical contact. Is it juvenile and in really poor taste? Yes, of course, and it isn't something I'd ever do. But I can't say I agree with her accusation that she was groped. She indicates that she was asleep and didn't notice it happening at the time and only knew about it via the photo. I'll be honest that her characterizing that photo as being "groped" does make me question the veracity of her version of the kissing (which she did eventually agree to rehearse), especially combined with the political differences between the two (she being a conservative pundit, Al Franken being one of the more liberal Senators).
Definition:

When used in a sexual context, groping is touching or fondling another person in an unwelcome sexual way using the hands

If he didn't touch her, it's not groping.

I don't think that makes it murky.  That just makes it sound like he wrote a sketch for the sole purpose of getting to shove his tongue down the throat of a hot chick.  Which is super creepy, but pretty Hollywood.  
That's a very reasonable (and her very reasonable) interpretation.  I don't think it's the only one, but with the picture it's pretty clear he treated her as solely a sex object worthy of no real consideration at all.

He's the same guy who wrote this sketch.  I didn't think it was so he could get into a diaper, but now I'm wondering.

Definition:

When used in a sexual context, groping is touching or fondling another person in an unwelcome sexual way using the hands

If he didn't touch her, it's not groping.
So I guess my question is more, "does anyone else think he's not actually touching her in that picture?"

Jesus Henry :lol:
It's a rehearsal.  If he's rehearsing what actually would happen, it's tough to say he was sexually harassing someone he's acting with.  The photo is not tough to say anything (other than whether he's actually touching her, which is irrelevant.)

That's a very reasonable (and her very reasonable) interpretation.  I don't think it's the only one, but with the picture it's pretty clear he treated her as solely a sex object worthy of no real consideration at all.

He's the same guy who wrote this sketch.  I didn't think it was so he could get into a diaper, but now I'm wondering.
Jesus...

It's a rehearsal.  If he's rehearsing what actually would happen, it's tough to say he was sexually harassing someone he's acting with.  The photo is not tough to say anything (other than whether he's actually touching her, which is irrelevant.)
Ok

Imo they could rehearse the skit without the kiss happening at all if she didn't want to kiss him.  It's an SNL skit ...they're adults. I think they could kiss in the skit without rehearsing him jamming his tongue in her month

I think people make too much of the audio tape of Trump discussing "scenarios" which can be explained away as bragging (like a teenager bragging about his sexual escapades, etc) and not enough of the Summer Zervos stuff.  Aren't there like 16 women that came forward?  I can't recall if that's true.  But the world has changed a lot in the last month regarding this subject.  Someone in the media will likely figure that out soon, round up all the women and use that as a weapon against Trump, as a woman's testimony is far more powerful than idle bragging from Donald Trump.
To me it's all linked, just like Franken. Taken in isolation is there some plausible explanation that makes it seem as if there's a possibility it wasn't so bad? Maybe.

But when you take Trumps well known reputation in NY business circles (and elsewhere), the scores of women who have accused him, how he has reacted to them with threats of lawsuits and other behavior thsts both scummy and reeks of guilt, the multiple stories of his behavior at teen beauty pageants AND his bragging about grabbing ##### and jus kissing them without any consent... that's the picture by which we should judge.

I don't think he's touching her, but I'm not sure I'm willing to go to the mat for the distinction between miming groping her for a tasteless joke and groping her.  
That's fair. I guess I am one of the libs that has been slightly concerned with losing due process throughout the current spate of allegations, though. Personally my opinion is heavily influenced by a) volume and b) verifiability in terms of whether I'm willing to convict in the "court of public opinion" on these types of things. I guess I'd say I'm not quite convinced yet, but I could be tipped easily.

As in, politically, it doesn't matter? Or are you saying that your opinion of a person would be the same whether they were making a crude joke or actually doing it? I guess maybe both.
I find the forced kiss far worse.  That's predatory behavior.  You could legitimately explain away him mimicking squeezing her breasts.  That's guy/comedian behavior from that era.  I'm not saying it's right...just saying I can see the "extremely distasteful joke" angle in the photo.  The forced kiss and shoved tongue down her throat is a way bigger deal, to me.

I don't think he's touching her, but I'm not sure I'm willing to go to the mat for the distinction between miming groping her for a tasteless joke and groping her.  
I think there's a big difference between miming and actually touching - doesn't mean either is ok.

much like in full context it doesn't seem that Frankens behavior in this one case (it would seem likely that if this IS how he behaved here then he did so at other times) is AS BAD as some other sexual harassment - but it's still deplorable and inexcusable.

Plus, its Theater - plenty of willing tongues to go just about anywhere... to creep by writing in a kiss, having the actress obviously uncomfortable and then go all tongue? F you again, Franken. 

Ok

Imo they could rehearse the skit without the kiss happening at all if she didn't want to kiss him.  It's an SNL skit ...they're adults. I think they could kiss in the skit without rehearsing him jamming his tongue in her month
She says in her article she didn't want to kiss him,but (and maybe I misread) she didn't say to him she didn't want to kiss him in the scene (just that she didn't want to rehearse it, but finally said "OK" to rehearsing the kiss.  

I'm pretty sure I saw sketches Al Franken wrote where he and Joe Piscopo jammed each other's tongues down their throats.  I have no doubt they rehearsed those full throttle.  SNL was a drug-fueled sex-party insane asylum during his tenure in the 70's and 80's. 

As in, politically, it doesn't matter? Or are you saying that your opinion of a person would be the same whether they were making a crude joke or actually doing it? I guess maybe both.
It's a kevlar vest.  He wasn't touching her actual breast regardless.  The problem of the picture has nothing to do with whether he touched the kevlar, in my opinion, and it's awful either way.

I find the forced kiss far worse.  That's predatory behavior.  You could legitimately explain away him mimicking squeezing her breasts.  That's guy/comedian behavior from that era.  I'm not saying it's right...just saying I can see the "extremely distasteful joke" angle in the photo.  The forced kiss and shoved tongue down her throat is a way bigger deal, to me.
I'd agree, for sure.  The part where I'm hesitant is that the only evidence for that version of the rehearsal/kiss is her. She said she mentioned it to others on the trip, if a journalist can confirm via some of those people (as was done with Roy Moore and others) I'm much more likely to accept her version of events at face value. I'd also be much more willing to accept them if the accuser wasn't a political public figure with clear ideological differences to the accused.

Users who are viewing this thread