What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Al Franken allegations (1 Viewer)

I'd agree, for sure.  The part where I'm hesitant is that the only evidence for that version of the rehearsal/kiss is her. She said she mentioned it to others on the trip, if a journalist can confirm via some of those people (as was done with Roy Moore and others) I'm much more likely to accept her version of events at face value. I'd also be much more willing to accept them if the accuser wasn't a political public figure with clear ideological differences to the accused.
When you get down to one woman's word vs a man's word, it's always murky. 

I think there's a big difference between miming and actually touching - doesn't mean either is ok.

much like in full context it doesn't seem that Frankens behavior in this one case (it would seem likely that if this IS how he behaved here then he did so at other times) is AS BAD as some other sexual harassment - but it's still deplorable and inexcusable.

Plus, its Theater - plenty of willing tongues to go just about anywhere... to creep by writing in a kiss, having the actress obviously uncomfortable and then go all tongue? F you again, Franken. 
Franken is a 5-6 trollish looking man. Writing a kiss into the script is the only way he would even get near Tweeden.

Agreed, which is why I hope (and expect) others to follow up for more confirmation/evidence. Either way, this does make me think less of Franken for being willing to make the "joke" in the picture. 

Observation:  A few characters who may act in a similar manner and generally lambast all things to the left of the alt-right are oddly missing from this red meat subject....

Could the reality that Trump is in the same boat as these #######s be coming home to roost in that it will be harder to defend Trump himself as to what should have been indefensible over a year ago? And to be honest they are all the exact same, Moore dated underage girls, Franken assaulted an actress who was also in a a way his "underling" and Trump has admitted to sexual assault, has been named by what, over a dozen women, has been accused of multiple instances of purposefully walking into rooms with underage girls in various stages of undress)
I hope so.  I'm still amazed that he survived the Access Hollywood tape.

Which is, unfortunately, why it's so important for more women to come out.  I have no doubt there will be more in Franken's case, if this wasn't (as he seems to be suggesting with his statement on the sketch) a "misunderstanding."

Mr. Weeks‏ @MrDane1982 16m16 minutes ago

If you have been defending a pedophile all week and defendeding a sexual predator

for the last 2 years, spare me your outrage about Al Franken...... You can't have it both ways....

Agreed.  He should resign if it went down as Tweeden says.  Sucks to lose a guy who has such a biting wit and has done good work, but there's no place for predatory sexual behavior like what has he's been accused of.  
If it went down as Tweeden says, I'm trying to figure out what statute would be involved for sexual assault on a military base in a foreign country.  If he's triable under military code, she may still be able to get charges drawn up.

All of my wishy-washy-ness aside, it'd actually be kind of exciting to get to elect a new Senator. Franken has been politically useful on some things (pressing Sessions during testimony, acknowledging that Net Neutrality is a fight that needs to happen), and seems to have been moving left to match the political leanings of younger people in this state, but he's still always been a bit too corporate friendly for my personal tastes.

What in the actual hell.

Hey we decided to elect people from the entertainment industry, even a president, who could have possibly seen this coming.

Also who does the GOP oppo research in Minnesota? Because apparently they stink at it.
This was years ago.  Maybe he was a Republican then.

I think people make too much of the audio tape of Trump discussing "scenarios" which can be explained away as bragging (like a teenager bragging about his sexual escapades, etc) 
terrible. 

he wasn't talking about sexual escapades.  he was talking about sexually assaulting women, bragging about it even. 

I don't see how anyone can rationalize calling for Franken to resign, while at the same time not calling for Trump to resign

terrible. 

he wasn't talking about sexual escapades.  he was talking about sexually assaulting women, bragging about it even. 

I don't see how anyone can rationalize calling for Franken to resign, while at the same time not calling for Trump to resign
Well, there's your problem, Sir.

Assumed he was gay. 

He recalled writing a skit called "Seamen on Broadway" that was rejected from the Hasty Pudding show "by some preppie so they could take some other preppie's skit." Franken started to smile again, but his tone was serious, too serious. "It's not preppies, cause I'm a preppie myself. I just don't like homosexuals. If you ask me, they're all homosexuals in the Pudding. Hey, I was glad when that Pudding homosexual got killed in Philadelphia." The smile became so broad it pushed his eyes shut. He couldn't stand it any longer. "Put that in, put that in," Franken laughed, leaning over the desk. "I'd love to see that in The Crimson."

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1976/4/16/live-from-new-york-its-al/

I'm less concerned about the rehearsal kiss than by the photo.  The photo sucks.  It's demeaning.  If someone did that to me (I don't know, teabagging while I slept) I'd be livid.  Such an incredibly poor taste thing to do.

The kiss thing.  I dunno.  Who knows what was in his head.  Kind of creepy, but doesn't disqualify him, in my view.  The photo. . . . maybe it does disqualify him to be an elected official.  Some mistakes you don't get to take back.

I'm less concerned about the rehearsal kiss than by the photo.  The photo sucks.  It's demeaning.  If someone did that to me (I don't know, teabagging while I slept) I'd be livid.  Such an incredibly poor taste thing to do.

The kiss thing.  I dunno.  Who knows what was in his head.  Kind of creepy, but doesn't disqualify him, in my view.  The photo. . . . maybe it does disqualify him to be an elected official.  Some mistakes you don't get to take back.
I'm leaning the exact opposite.  franken was a comedian and the pic can be explained as a bad joke.  he's not actually touching her.  the rehearsal seems more shady to me

I may have mischaracterized exactly what she does, I don't think she's political on her radio work, but she has appeared on Hannity and another conservative show on Fox as an outspoken conservative.
I had no idea.  She fits the FoxNews profile, that's for sure. 

Just came to post this:

The first thing I want to do is apologize: to Leeann, to everyone else who was part of that tour, to everyone who has worked for me, to everyone I represent, and to everyone who counts on me to be an ally and supporter and champion of women. There's more I want to say, but the first and most important thing—and if it's the only thing you care to hear, that's fine—is: I'm sorry.

I respect women. I don't respect men who don't. And the fact that my own actions have given people a good reason to doubt that makes me feel ashamed.

But I want to say something else, too. Over the last few months, all of us—including and especially men who respect women—have been forced to take a good, hard look at our own actions and think (perhaps, shamefully, for the first time) about how those actions have affected women.

For instance, that picture. I don't know what was in my head when I took that picture, and it doesn't matter. There's no excuse. I look at it now and I feel disgusted with myself. It isn't funny. It's completely inappropriate. It's obvious how Leeann would feel violated by that picture. And, what's more, I can see how millions of other women would feel violated by it—women who have had similar experiences in their own lives, women who fear having those experiences, women who look up to me, women who have counted on me.

Coming from the world of comedy, I've told and written a lot of jokes that I once thought were funny but later came to realize were just plain offensive. But the intentions behind my actions aren't the point at all. It's the impact these jokes had on others that matters. And I'm sorry it's taken me so long to come to terms with that.

While I don't remember the rehearsal for the skit as Leeann does, I understand why we need to listen to and believe women’s experiences.

I am asking that an ethics investigation be undertaken, and I will gladly cooperate.

And the truth is, what people think of me in light of this is far less important than what people think of women who continue to come forward to tell their stories. They deserve to be heard, and believed. And they deserve to know that I am their ally and supporter. I have let them down and am committed to making it up to them.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM

Users who are viewing this thread