What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Al Saunders to WAS as OC (1 Viewer)

Kevin Ashcraft

Footballguy
Obviously no link yet, but will see what I can find.It appears that Al Saunders wont be back in KC, and he wont be going to coach the Faiders either. He is taking a lateral move and going to be the 'Skins OC, which apparently will pay him MORE than Al Davis would have paid him to be th next OAK Head man.Also, Chiefs O-Line coach Mike Solari is expected to be named the Chiefs new OC sometime soon. The thought here is that he will just take over what Saunders started. Most of what I can glean from the media is that Solari will run the same Air-Coryell offense and possibly give more power to Trent Green on playcalling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great get for the skins if true, Wonder if Gibbs will give up the playcalling duties to Saunders. Also, they worked to gether in SD under Coryell

EXCELLENT move by Danny. Gibbs, Saunders and Greg Williams = 3 NFL quality head coaches, and I assume Gibbs has the respect of Saunders - and vice versa.Now if they just had a QB... ;)

I assume Gibbs has the respect of Saunders - and vice versa.
They're from the same school of though, at least. They run very similar offenses. I believe they spent some time together at USC.

Also just reported that the CHiefs just just signed Bills DL coach Tim Krumrie to be on Edwrads' staff. I like that hire for KC. And FWIW CHarlie Joiner is staying as WR coach. Thats 3 former players as coaches...Herm, Joiner and Krumrie.....I like that idea.

wow

the Danny strikes again

really like this move for the skins
this makes washingtons offense much more potent next year and beyond!if it is true, then bump up Portis and Cooley big time in your preseason rankings...

great move..

So basically what is going to happen is Gibbs is going to take a back seat to guys who actually understand the NFL today.

So basically what is going to happen is Gibbs is going to take a back seat to guys who actually understand the NFL today.
If you believe this, you obviously have #### for brains.

Also just reported that the CHiefs just just signed Bills DL coach Tim Krumrie to be on Edwrads' staff. I like that hire for KC. And FWIW CHarlie Joiner is staying as WR coach. Thats 3 former players as coaches...Herm, Joiner and Krumrie.....I like that idea.
Has Mike Solari been offered the Chiefs OC job yet?

:lol: Although I can see Gibbs giving more deferance to these two than many coordinators get.

Has Mike Solari been offered the Chiefs OC job yet?
From what I can tell by listening to 810, 610 and other CHiefs boards, is that yes, he has been offered the job.

Obviously no link yet, but will see what I can find.

It appears that Al Saunders wont be back in KC, and he wont be going to coach the Faiders either. He is taking a lateral move and going to be the 'Skins OC, which apparently will pay him MORE than Al Davis would have paid him to be th next OAK Head man.

Also, Chiefs O-Line coach Mike Solari is expected to be named the Chiefs new OC sometime soon. The thought here is that he will just take over what Saunders started. Most of what I can glean from the media is that Solari will run the same Air-Coryell offense and possibly give more power to Trent Green on playcalling.
:clap: I own Larry Johnson AND Portis :clap:

Also just reported that the CHiefs just just signed Bills DL coach Tim Krumrie to be on Edwrads' staff.
Considering how horrible of an injury he suffered in the Super Bowl, it's good to see Krumrie become a successful coach.As for Saunders possibly in DC, you do have to give Snyder credit. He's paying a lot of coin for his coaching staff, albeit wisely compared with the Spurrier debacle.

Just saying isn't it convienent that he has probably the best assistants at both sides of the ball and his offense did #### this year. With all he has going outside of football I don't see it outside the realm of possibility.

Just saying isn't it convienent that he has probably the best assistants at both sides of the ball and his offense did #### this year. With all he has going outside of football I don't see it outside the realm of possibility.
So, being 13th in points and 11th in yards means the offense did #### this year? A 1400-yard receiver and a 1500-yard rusher is ####? Taking a QB that everyone was ready to throw in the trash and getting 23 TDs and only 10 INTs out of him is ####?

Snyder needs to be shot. He's raising the ante in the non-head-coach pay scale. Owners around the league HAVE to be unhappy about the fact that he and Williams are going to be making so much money.

So, being 13th in points and 11th in yards means the offense did #### this year? A 1400-yard receiver and a 1500-yard rusher is ####? Taking a QB that everyone was ready to throw in the trash and getting 23 TDs and only 10 INTs out of him is ####?
That win against TB was fun wasn't it? How bout that win against Seat.... oh wait nevermind. It was obvious in both that the offense was lacking. It may just be Brunell but Saunders brings a strong system and should be a head coach right now. Limp arm Brunell will not lead this team to a Superbowl and you can quote me or black dot this I don't care. They still need a QB upgrade. As for Saunders, what does Gibbs really have to do now? I guess I would be saying the same thing if Vermiel had this situation and I would be wrong so... we'll see.

this has got bump up portis's FF stock. :popcorn:
I would think some, but they still need to simply block better in short-yardage situations. Remember, Saunders had Roaf and Shields in KC.

<sarcasm on>Right. Since obviously the Redskins' underachieving this year shows that Gibbs doesn't know anything about football nowadays.

</sacrasm off>

I'm actually looking at this move as interesting down the line. If Gibbs coaches for one or two more years, and the defensive minded Williams takes over as HC, this would set things up so he has a great offensive mind in house already...

M

I'm actually looking at this move as interesting down the line. If Gibbs coaches for one or two more years, and the defensive minded Williams takes over as HC, this would set things up so he has a great offensive mind in house already...

M
Or, if Williams has already left by the time Gibbs retires, Saunders could possibly become HC.

That win against TB was fun wasn't it? How bout that win against Seat.... oh wait nevermind. It was obvious in both that the offense was lacking. It may just be Brunell but Saunders brings a strong system and should be a head coach right now. Limp arm Brunell will not lead this team to a Superbowl and you can quote me or black dot this I don't care. They still need a QB upgrade. As for Saunders, what does Gibbs really have to do now? I guess I would be saying the same thing if Vermiel had this situation and I would be wrong so... we'll see.
I'm confused.....granted Moss's numbers dropped big time, but not until Patten went out for the year. Patten didn't do anything while he played, except prevent teams from focusing exclusivly on Moss/Cooley. Do I think Brunell is great?? No but he is definitly serviceble, and can get the job done until Campbell is ready to step in. And yes the game has certainly passed Gibbs by it took him a 2 years to get all the guys he wanted in the system to go 10-6 and miss the Division by a game. We went 5-1 in the division this year, if it wasn't for the blown 2pt conversion call against TB then we would of won the NFC East. But anyway, I'll take Saunders...great hire

Does KC have some offensive FAs that may be willing to follow Saunders to DC?
They can always go after Sylvester Morris and/or Snoop Minnis, either of whom couldn't do any worse than Taylor Jacobs.

Does KC have some offensive FAs that may be willing to follow Saunders to DC?
is Kennison a free agent? I have heard talk of him not returning, but I don't remember (and am too lazy to check) if he's a FA or just in dangered of getting axed. Either way, I would take him as a #2 across from Moss :yes:

Gibbs is the head coach, his job is to oversee operations, not call plays. How is this any different than what New England did with Belichick hovering over Weis and Crennel?

They're from the same school of though, at least. They run very similar offenses. I believe they spent some time together at USC.
Brilliant move! I'm loving this hire! Gibbs and Saunders both come from the power running and downfield passing school of offensive coaching that arose from Gillman, Coryell and (I'm blanking - chain smoking o-coordinator with Dallas in later years). This should complete the offensive scheme's upgrade and playcalling.

Now the fascinating thing will be what they do at the 2nd WR position and at QB.

:lmao: You poor thing. You actually believe this stuff, don't you?

Brilliant move! I'm loving this hire! Gibbs and Saunders both come from the power running and downfield passing school of offensive coaching that arose from Gillman, Coryell and (I'm blanking - chain smoking o-coordinator with Dallas in later years). This should complete the offensive scheme's upgrade and playcalling.

Now the fascinating thing will be what they do at the 2nd WR position and at QB.
DITTO!!! We needed a new & good OC, which looks like they grabbed one of..if not the best out there. Kudos to Danny and his FO for this!!! :thumbup: 2nd WR and DE is my concern. I think Brunell re-works his deal and plays one more year, while Campbell gets primed to take over. Of course, Ramsey will the colors of another next year.

ESPN has it now.
Gibbs hired Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders as assistant head coach and offensive coordinator, convincing him to sign a three-year contract worth more than $2 million a year.
Interesting. I think Bugel's title is/was Assistant HC Offense. And, G. Williams is Assistant HC Defense. So, do they now have three AHC?

Gibbs is President of Football Operations. Everything football related falls under him. By the way, he is also the Head Coach. So he runs and manages the coaching staff. And he does run the offense but gets input from everyone.

ESPN has it now.

Gibbs hired Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders as assistant head coach and offensive coordinator, convincing him to sign a three-year contract worth more than $2 million a year.
Interesting. I think Bugel's title is/was Assistant HC Offense. And, G. Williams is Assistant HC Defense. So, do they now have three AHC?
I was wondering the same thing. Is there a limit to the number of Assistant Head Coaches a team can have?According to Extremeskins.com:

Joe Bugel: Asst HC Offense

Don Breaux: Offensive Coordinator

Gregg Williams Asst HC Defense

Greg Blache: Defensive Coordinator

The site does not say it, but I think Bugel also coaches the OL.

Gibbs is the head coach, his job is to oversee operations, not call plays. How is this any different than what New England did with Belichick hovering over Weis and Crennel?
Gibbs has actually gone over this. Don Breax and Bugel work together and suggest plays to Gibbs. Gibbs then sends it in. Gibbs technically is calling the plays, but rarely changes the play that is given to him.

Users who are viewing this thread