What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alabama 2020 Senate Race - the undercard is the main attraction (1 Viewer)

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Alabama is postponing its March 31 Republican runoff for US Senate until July 14 to slow the spread of coronavirus.

Elaina Plott

@elainaplott

Here’s something we DO know about the AL runoff: turnout all across the state has been abysmal, and one GOP strategist here says you can’t just blame it on Covid. “The story here is that Trump cannot turn out votes in the reddest state in the country. That should worry him.”

NYT HAS CALLED THE RACE: Tommy Tuberville will be the Alabama Senate Republican nominee, and will face Doug Jones in November.

Jones has at least two votes here.

But it will probably be a landslide outside of Madison county and Birmingham.

Jones has at least two votes here.

But it will probably be a landslide outside of Madison county and Birmingham.
It's going to be a runaway.  I voted for Jones last time, my wife plans to vote for him this time.  I don't think he would have a chance anyway, mix that with running on the November ballot of a Presidential cycle and there's no shot.  I will need to see the final breakdown by county, but along with the turnout in D areas and winning the college towns, Jones also kept the Birmingham suburbs much closer than any D had in the past of modern elections in AL.  Keep in mind Strange beat Moore in those areas last time.  Lots of crossover in the general occurred because college educated people didn't like Moore.  My wife and I both voted for Strange in the primary, then voted for Jones in the general.  I think Tuberville is going to win that area tonight, meaning that path will be closed off for Jones to run that tight come November in those areas.  

ETA:  Here's a link to the county map, Tuberville seems to have consolidated support.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/07/14/us/elections/results-sessions-tuberville.html

Last edited by a moderator:
It's going to be a runaway.  
No doubt. 

Which is too bad really, Jones is among the most reasonable people in politics. Which isn't saying much. 

I honestly have no idea about tubby. I'd say I have to look closer, and I will for my own information, but it's not going to matter.

No doubt. 

Which is too bad really, Jones is among the most reasonable people in politics. Which isn't saying much. 

I honestly have no idea about tubby. I'd say I have to look closer, and I will for my own information, but it's not going to matter.
It is, but it's the days we live in.  Jones is no doubt a good guy.  I voted for him over Moore and would have over Strange too.  Tuberville was a good football coach but the nature of Alabama politics is going to have him voting the party line, if possible he will be to the right of what Sessions was.  You can tell from the ads he's running on being a hardliner, which is odd if you know his history as Ole Miss football coach and that he was instrumental in getting the confederate flag out of the stands there.  If this were most any other year I'd vote for Jones again over Tuberville but given the likely outcome of 2020 from the polls I want to keep the Senate as tight as possible.

It is, but it's the days we live in.  Jones is no doubt a good guy.  I voted for him over Moore and would have over Strange too.  Tuberville was a good football coach but the nature of Alabama politics is going to have him voting the party line, if possible he will be to the right of what Sessions was.  You can tell from the ads he's running on being a hardliner, which is odd if you know his history as Ole Miss football coach and that he was instrumental in getting the confederate flag out of the stands there.  If this were most any other year I'd vote for Jones again over Tuberville but given the likely outcome of 2020 from the polls I want to keep the Senate as tight as possible.
I get it. while he'd toe the party line for most things, I'd like as many reasonable Democrats in that majority. 

I don't think it will matter, but Jones gets my vote. He would over most 'bama Republicans. 

I don't think it will matter, but Jones gets my vote. He would over most 'bama Republicans. 
It won't.  

Tommy is a Biden protege - say nothing, do nothing, sit in a basement and just hope that he manages not to screw up.  His (incredibly basic, pure red meat talking points) ads will carry the day.

It won't.  

Tommy is a Biden protege - say nothing, do nothing, sit in a basement and just hope that he manages not to screw up.  His (incredibly basic, pure red meat talking points) ads will carry the day.
Pretty spot on.  He ran out the clock on Sessions, he likely will do the same to Doug Jones.  There won't be any debate I wouldn't think so there is no chance to screw anything up.  He merely needs to sit back and let his massive warchest run the political hardliner ads.  He can keep riding the bus around the state to sign autographs and take pictures with folks for Facebook.  It ingratiates him to them and he's a personable enough guy when you meet him.  Some of the biggest Bama friends I have on Facebook had pictures of them buddying up to him and smiling for the camera.  Doug Jones while a nice guy is our Scott Brown.  He was elected under extraordinary circumstances, which is what it took, and it's not realistic to expect him to hold the seat.

Pretty spot on.  He ran out the clock on Sessions, he likely will do the same to Doug Jones.  There won't be any debate I wouldn't think so there is no chance to screw anything up.  He merely needs to sit back and let his massive warchest run the political hardliner ads.  He can keep riding the bus around the state to sign autographs and take pictures with folks for Facebook.  It ingratiates him to them and he's a personable enough guy when you meet him.  Some of the biggest Bama friends I have on Facebook had pictures of them buddying up to him and smiling for the camera.  Doug Jones while a nice guy is our Scott Brown.  He was elected under extraordinary circumstances, which is what it took, and it's not realistic to expect him to hold the seat.
Doesn’t matter does it? Doug Jones’ victory was a win for decency. He’ll always be remembered for that. Tuberville’s no Moore. He seems like a decent fellow himself so this is not the same kind of race. I’m not rooting for any Trump supporter but it’s hard to get worked up over Tuberville. 

As for Jefferson Beauregard the Third, time for him to retire on  the veranda of his plantation and dream of the good old days when the cotton was ripe...

Doesn’t matter does it? Doug Jones’ victory was a win for decency. He’ll always be remembered for that. Tuberville’s no Moore. He seems like a decent fellow himself so this is not the same kind of race. I’m not rooting for any Trump supporter but it’s hard to get worked up over Tuberville. 

As for Jefferson Beauregard the Third, time for him to retire on  the veranda of his plantation and dream of the good old days when the cotton was ripe...
To me it does kind of matter.  It's kind of sad we find ourselves in a political place where there aren't really homes for the Jones and Brown types to have a shot for more than a miraculous one-off.  But the people of Massachusetts no more wanted Mitch McConnell in charge than the people of Alabama want Chuck Schumer in charge, so I get it on both fronts.  There's not many left that kind of fit that mold.

I do find it an interesting take any time someone anti-Trump takes pleasure in Sessions losing given that he was the one who actually stood up to him.  I've met Tuberville a couple times, he's no dummy.  He's going to learn from what happened to Sessions, even if Trump is gone in 2020 you're not gonna like Tommy too much pretty soon.  You may not know much about him, but he has a way of getting under your skin and pretty much delights in doing so.  It's fun when he's your guy, not so much when he isn't.  I was actually surprised he was polling so well at first, Alabama folks truly hated him 15 or so years ago.  He was Auburn's coach when Alabama was in a down period and delighted in rubbing their nose in it.  Nick Saban and having a Democrat represent them in the Senate seem to have healed those wounds.

To me it does kind of matter.  It's kind of sad we find ourselves in a political place where there aren't really homes for the Jones and Brown types to have a shot for more than a miraculous one-off.  But the people of Massachusetts no more wanted Mitch McConnell in charge than the people of Alabama want Chuck Schumer in charge, so I get it on both fronts.  There's not many left that kind of fit that mold.

I do find it an interesting take any time someone anti-Trump takes pleasure in Sessions losing given that he was the one who actually stood up to him.  I've met Tuberville a couple times, he's no dummy.  He's going to learn from what happened to Sessions, even if Trump is gone in 2020 you're not gonna like Tommy too much pretty soon.  You may not know much about him, but he has a way of getting under your skin and pretty much delights in doing so.  It's fun when he's your guy, not so much when he isn't.  I was actually surprised he won, Alabama folks truly hated him 15 or so years ago.  He was Auburn's coach when Alabama was in a down period and delighted in rubbing their nose in it.  Nick Saban and having a Democrat represent them in the Senate seem to have healed those wounds.
Yeah Sessions did stand up to Trump, once, but he also helped Trump win the nomination and he’s a white supremacist and nativist from way back. And he’s responsible for Stephen Miller. I won’t miss him. 

If Tuberville is honest and a good dude I’ll like him no matter how much I might disagree with him. If he isn’t I won’t. 

“This is it. I’ve taken four puffs to make sure there’s no chance of survival. It should only be a matter of minutes now. Oh, what a wretched, ignominious ending. Goodbye, cruel world, I’m sorry I’ve failed you so.” At press time, Sessions reportedly realized he had died after being overcome by a euphoric, floating feeling. 

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:  

* @The Gator would have died approximately 6,382,836,845 times if this were true

Users who are viewing this thread