What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alfred Morris vs David Wilson (1 Viewer)

Kuz

Footballguy
Is this entire David Wilson stuff more about his bad pass protection then his actual fumbles.. He only fumbled once last year.

Alfred Morris fumbled once last night & blew a pitch that resulted in a safety yet nothing on him. Seems odd that most people aren't talking about Morris at all today & Wilson is close to working as a bag boy at the grocery store in a few weeks.

He must be absolutely brutal in pass protection but why wasn't this discussed more coming in to the season. He was consistently ranked in the top 15 RB's on most sites but now is possibly losing his job to Brandon Jacobs/McGahee or this Scott guy..

really weird if you ask me.. I'm holding out hope he figures it out but geez..

Wilson fumbled, yes.

That pitch, maybe. RGIII could have taken a bit off the fastball, I am sure a lot of people think.

If you are wondering the difference between Morris and Wilson, I might direct you to their fantasy stats.

Morris rushed for the third highest yardage total as a rookie in NFL history I believe. So there's your difference. One is a proven stud, one is not.

Wilson fumbled, yes.

That pitch, maybe. RGIII could have taken a bit off the fastball, I am sure a lot of people think.

If you are wondering the difference between Morris and Wilson, I might direct you to their fantasy stats.
hard to get stats if you don't play.. I'm merely saying I feel his benching is more for his pass blocking skills but could be completely incorrect.. Just thought it's odd how the guy can go down in one half of football.. Just hoping it may change...

His benching both seasons to this point are a result that IF he fumbles his pass blocking is no where near good enough to compensate.

He's an explosive RB but continues to struggle in pass blocking. Case in point is the missed block he had when the Giants were near the goal line early in the game.

If he's able to hold onto the ball and remain productive the Giants can deal with his pass blocking.

Overall, I think he'll get carries this week but probably won't start as a punishment. Depending on how those carries go will dictate how much more he gets through the game.

The team is also not bringing in Jacobs/McGahee or Scott as a means to replace him long term, yet. The team is only hoping that a veteran presence will help take up the slack losing Brown created. Wilson is still the best RB on the team.

His benching both seasons to this point are a result that IF he fumbles his pass blocking is no where near good enough to compensate.

He's an explosive RB but continues to struggle in pass blocking. Case in point is the missed block he had when the Giants were near the goal line early in the game.

If he's able to hold onto the ball and remain productive the Giants can deal with his pass blocking.

Overall, I think he'll get carries this week but probably won't start as a punishment. Depending on how those carries go will dictate how much more he gets through the game.

The team is also not bringing in Jacobs/McGahee or Scott as a means to replace him long term, yet. The team is only hoping that a veteran presence will help take up the slack losing Brown created. Wilson is still the best RB on the team.
The amount of people saying he won't 'get the start' this week are baffling me. Being that every single report from NY beat writers and knowledgable sources are saying that the whole wanting to sign a veteran thing is because the Giants have zero faith in Michael Cox and Da'Rel Scott as Wilson's backup and less that they have no faith in Wilson himself. I honestly can remember the last time I've seen this big of an over-reaction in Week 1. I wish there was a vegas line to bet on whether or not David Wilson gets the start this week that was comparable to the Shark Pool's feelings on the situation. I'd be rich come Sunday.

What is the career fumble rate for both players?
Alfred Morris averages about 71.8 touches of the ball per fumble.

David Wilson averages about 46.3 touches of the ball per fumble.

While we're on the topic... Adrian Peterson averaged 49.9 touches of the ball per fumble in his first 3 seasons in the NFL.

The amount of people saying he won't 'get the start' this week are baffling me. Being that every single report from NY beat writers and knowledgable sources are saying that the whole wanting to sign a veteran thing is because the Giants have zero faith in Michael Cox and Da'Rel Scott as Wilson's backup and less that they have no faith in Wilson himself. I honestly can remember the last time I've seen this big of an over-reaction in Week 1. I wish there was a vegas line to bet on whether or not David Wilson gets the start this week that was comparable to the Shark Pool's feelings on the situation. I'd be rich come Sunday.
I completely agree. I've been throwing out lowball offers in all of my leagues in hopes of somebody biting.

The 2 fumbles was't the only thing that got Wilson benched, he blew a 1st and GL (however the Defense did break though the OL) and the every next play he blew a pass pro pretty much causing a FG. The 2nd fumble was the final straw for TC. But I admit, it was surprising that Morris didn't get anytype of punishment for his goofs, shanny getting soft.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2 fumbles was't the only thing that got Wilson benched, he blew a 1st and GL (however the Defense did break though the OL) and the every next play he blew a pass pro pretty much causing a FG. The 2nd fumble was the final straw for TC. But I admit, it was surprising that Morris didn't get anytype of punishment for his goofs, shanny getting soft.
Agree with all your points. I was surprised about Morris as well considering how well Helu played in the preseason. Thought he'd be worth at least 4-5 carries to see what he does. Makes Helu the first guy to drop off my rosters.

Khy said:
rascal said:

While we're on the topic... Adrian Peterson averaged 49.9 touches of the ball per fumble in his first 3 seasons in the NFL.
If David Wilson starts averaging 1,500 rushing yards and 13 TD's, I'm sure the Giants will give him a pass

Is anyone really blaming Morris for RG3's bad toss? It was an inaccurate pitch (missed by a mile) and twice as hard as it should have been. RG3 doesn't have much experience with a two handed shovel.

Coughlin factor. Fumble twice in a game for ol' red-face and he'll bench you for the rest of the day. You'll be lucky to be back in the next week. Fumble again, and you're done for 6 weeks. That's just how Tom does it. He's benched guys for showing up "late" to the 10AM meeting because they walked in the door at 9:57.

The reaction to Wilson is that his coach will be much harder on him than Morris's will be.

Another thought is that you have to draft Wilson with the Caughlin factor in mind. Caughlin has a history of playing the hot hand, benching players for errors, and favoring vets over young guys.

drake_ovo said:
wilson is better than morris. wilson was drafted in first round and morris was sixth round.
aren't you the guy that said you dropped wilson in a 14 league.... troll shut your mouth and go listen to some drake a@@ clown.

Tom Brady made some dangerous, inaccurate throws into coverage on Sunday, just like Blaine Gabbert did. Not sure why everyone is giving Brady a pass on this. Must be something about people here thinking 6th-round picks are inherently better than 1st-rounders as there are no other metrics available to us.

Tom Brady made some dangerous, inaccurate throws into coverage on Sunday, just like Blaine Gabbert did. Not sure why everyone is giving Brady a pass on this. Must be something about people here thinking 6th-round picks are inherently better than 1st-rounders as there are no other metrics available to us.
great analogy

great analogy
Obviously I'm mocking your OP, not making an actual analogy. Morris had roughly 5x as many carries and yards than Wilson in their rookie years. It's a relatively safe assumption that Morris' leash is going to be quite a bit longer. These guys aren't in comparable situations.

Khy said:
rascal said:

If David Wilson starts averaging 1,500 rushing yards and 13 TD's, I'm sure the Giants will give him a pass
Sure obviously, just saying... Peterson had a lot of fumbling issues early in his career too well before he was a "proven stud" and was simply a rookie with a lot of potential. The Giants will start Wilson this week and hopefully he's past the week 1 jitters and can get his head together and focus on the game of football and not the media fenzy. All he needs is one or two good games with no fumbles until he really starts to build that confidence to put this all behind him. If it happens people are going to be pissed who sold him this week and who didn't buy him low as the talent is there so long as the opportunity is there.

ESPN New York says the Giants are going to give David Wilson "an opportunity to prove that the fumbling was a one-game issue."

The Giants were looking to sign a veteran to replace Andre Brown (leg) before Wilson's nightmarish Week 1. Brandon Jacobs -- who is 31 years old and basically been out of football since 2011 -- is not a real threat unless the fumbles keep happening. Remember that after a Week 1 fumble in 2012, Wilson went 15 straight games (127 touches) without coughing up the rock. We expect him to start and get the lion's share of the early-down work against the Broncos Sunday. The explosive second-year man is an obvious buy low.
Related: Da'Rel Scott

Source: ESPN New York
Sep 11 - 8:24 AM

Users who are viewing this thread