What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All-Request IDP Roundtable (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
Link to the show

By request, we're making this week's show an All-Request Roundtable.

Post your questions here. We'd prefer that the questions be situation, player and strategy based rather than looking for team specific management advice requests.

We'll get to as many of them as we can. Those we don't, I'll work through myself later in the week.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by a moderator:
By request, we're making this week's show an All-Request Roundtable.Post your questions here. We'd prefer that the questions be situation, player and strategy based rather than looking for team specific management advice requests.We'll get to as many of them as we can. Those we don't, I'll work through myself later in the week.Thanks for listening.
:goodposting: Do you think any Raven LB/DE is going to be worth keeping this year outside Lewis? It seems to me that they are going to do a lot of situational substitutions which makes everyone less valuable. Do you still consider Jerrell Freeman the guy to own as Angerer's replacment for the first 4 weeks of the season. I thought he looked pretty good against the Skins (But I am no expert or talent evaluator), seemed to be in on a lot of plays, had a very nice blitz that he destroyed RG3 on and just seemed more active than Conner. Do you think Larry English gets on the field enough to be fantasy relevant? He is a former #1 pick that has had a few injuries, I have read that he has been dominant in camp, and had 2 sacks in game #3 vs #1's for Minnesota.

Do you see any off-the radar Safeties who are goign to make an impact this year?

Will DJ Williams have any relevance this year?

I would love a brief focus on CBs for leagues that distinguish them from the safety position.

Maybe a top 5-8 CB specific players or even better, 5 or so undervalued CB picks for 2012?

Thank you gentlemen, this is the best podcast in existence, not exaggerating, The Audible Live is a close 2nd...

Just coming off of another thread and would like to get your thoughts, as well, on Wolfe of the Broncos. Projections for this guy? Will he be a DT that could start in a league with only a DL designation?

We've seen quite a few top drafted LBers not live up to expectations over the years.

Top ten picks:

2010 the 8th pick - Rolando McClain OAK

2009 4th pick - Aaron Curry SEA

2008 9th pick Keith Rivers CIn

Last year Von Miller DEN lived up to expectations but he brought uber pass rushing skills.

The very last top drafted LBer to live up to expectations that didn't have Von Miller pass rush skills was in 2007 when Patrick Willis SF came up with strong numbers as a rookie and steadily has maintained top LBer production.

This year it 'appears' as though the top drafted LBer Luke Kuechly CAR is the real deal but he isn't starting at the inside spot and doesn't have Von Miller type of pass rush skills.

I've seen him and I like him but what SPECIFIC PROJECTED numbers do you see him having this year and could you compare what you feel he will produce with the numbers Patrick Willis produced with San Francisco because hopefully he will perform as well, or very close to the numbers, that Willis produced.

I feel he would have to post numbers close to Willis in order for him to justify a top-ten rookie selection and that is the price I paid to attain Kuechly in a recent rookie draft.

Just a couple more requests, if you can touch on only 1, that's fine. Thanks guys!

Are there a few guys that we expect to rebound this year and why or why not? It seems like some examples would be LBs: Demeco Ryans, Timmons, McClain, Beason, Ruud, Durant, Rey Maualuga (k, not a bounce back, but any chance he comes closer to expectations going into last year?) DBs: Eric Berry, TJ Ward, Kerry Rhodes, LaRon Landry, Kurt Coleman.

A brief focus on players expected to become increasingly productive over the season due to suspension, injury recovery, acclimation to new surroundings, etc. Such as DJ Williams, when he does finally return, what can we expect out of him? Should we expect some buy-low situations with some of the rookies early on while they are still adjusting to the pro-game and perhaps not playing Nickel, such as Kuechly, Kendricks and L David? In other words, a few good buy-low candidates after week 1 or 2?

Antonio Cromartie worked out at WR yesterday, he's rumored to be in for occasional or rare usage on offense this year. Do you see his IDP production being strong enough to warrant a look as a sleeper when combined with occasional offensive production?

A brief focus on rookie starting CBs that have potential but that will likely be picked on early this year? Maybe a chance of seeing several weeks of high production (INTs, Tckls, PDs) before opposing QBs start taking them seriously? Is there a name or 2 that fall into this category?

How will the Philly DE situation sort itself out? Babin and Cole are studs but their seem to be a couple of young up and comers behind them. I'm curious how the reps get split.

Wimbley has looked pretty darn good since switching to DE. How do you like his chances since seeing him in preseason action?

Mychal Kendricks appears to have outplayed Ryans in preseason PHI, statistically and otherwise. Should he be moved ahead of Ryans in your rankings even though he's is at a situational disadvantage for stats?

Same general question for L.David and M.Foster. Although a little less so since Foster seems to have had a pretty good camp.

Latest thoughts on the IND LB situation and who you like better: Conner or Freeman.

If Bramel and Norton will be hosting the show it would be great to see a "faceoff" style debate on Cameron Wake vs. Elvis Dumervil. Both seem to have similar potential for good numbers and can be drafted relatively cheaply. There is a big discrepancy in the relative rankings for Wake, in particular, where Bramel is very high on him. Not as much difference for Dumervil but in his case Norton has him ranked higher.

Thanks.

Jene, John and Sigmund, who are the pass rushers that you could see getting 10 or more sacks this season for the first time(along with any rookies)?

Should we be worried about Timmons possibly moving to OLB again this year?

Also can you explain why 3 down ILBs are gold but AJ Hawk is someone that nobody seems to want? He's been WW material in my deep league.

Can you guys name some defensive backs that are going to be returning kickoffs and/or punts that are worth owning for there IDP value as well.

Mychal Kendricks appears to have outplayed Ryans in preseason PHI, statistically and otherwise. Should he be moved ahead of Ryans in your rankings even though he's is at a situational disadvantage for stats?Same general question for L.David and M.Foster. Although a little less so since Foster seems to have had a pretty good camp.Latest thoughts on the IND LB situation and who you like better: Conner or Freeman.If Bramel and Norton will be hosting the show it would be great to see a "faceoff" style debate on Cameron Wake vs. Elvis Dumervil. Both seem to have similar potential for good numbers and can be drafted relatively cheaply. There is a big discrepancy in the relative rankings for Wake, in particular, where Bramel is very high on him. Not as much difference for Dumervil but in his case Norton has him ranked higher.Thanks.
I've go the same questions. I went with Dumervil in my draft and hope it was the right move. I also added Conner late due to the opportunity. I would add that I'd like to hear thoughts on whether we should trust Kuechly in week 1.

Just wanted to echo these questions:

'DesmondBishop said:
Do you think any Raven LB/DE is going to be worth keeping this year outside Lewis? It seems to me that they are going to do a lot of situational substitutions which makes everyone less valuable.
What's the latest on D. J. Smith? Is he playng 3 downs? How do you rank him?
Also curious to hear of some rookie LB's who aren't getting much action this year, but could be great dynasty stashes for future years.

Searcy or Wilson in BUF at SS?

Is Freeman more than a couple week play at MLB for IND?

Will T Davis continue to take the 3rd down role from Kuechly that he played last weekend?

Will Robert Quinn be the #1 DL for STL?

Can you discuss and possibly rate in order of preference in tackle heavy leagues? A few of these guys generating buzz lately.

Thanks for the excellent show... and for helping me dominate my IDP leagues!

LBs

Mychal Kendricks

Erin Henderson

Akeem Ayers

Stephen Nicholas

DBs

Alterraun Verner

Erik Coleman

Brent Grimes

Also, can you suggest a FA bid amount for Kendricks, Henderson and Coleman for deep 12 team league w/ $200 cap.

Thanks!!

Is Zach Brown still allergic to contact? Witherspoon is still in the way and at 32 he could last a few more years (but with ten seasons already under the belt could also be breaking down). Is Zach Brown destined to play third fiddle to Ayers and McCarthy anyway?

I'd like to know if Kurt Coleman in Philly might be that sleeper safety we're all looking for off the waiver wire. I recall Jene hasn't been a fan, partly because of his deficiencies and lack of consistency, but also because of the presence of Jarrett. Now that Jarret seems to have fallen out of favour and was even on the roster bubble apparently, is it worth taking a closer look at Coleman?

Can you shed any light on the Minn lb situation? Have they figured out who is starting and who is playing 3 downs yet?

Heard about a judge possibly stopping or delaying the Saints player suspensions. Would this make Vilma fantasy relevant?

Thanks

What are your expectations for JAX DE Mincey and Branch this year? Do you see opponents gamplanning for Mincey after his breakout last year?

Id kinda like to know which team's defense just looks like they will have the best yr (compared to last Season) Obviously this could mean smaller snap counts (less points) But, Id just like to know what the Defensive guru's believe could be shocking (similiar to predicting most improved team, but thats usually from an offensive perspective)

Personally Im impressed w/ changes, or potentail changes in NE. But other then shocking us w stopping the run, or limiting being scored on (not sure theres too much shocking to say NE could be good)

Id much rather see/hear>> I wouldnt be too shocked to see "fill in the blank" disappoint to some degree on the IDP side of Fantasy. (Def Cor has quite a lineup this Season) which may lead to the Defense, not spending much time on the field (less opportunity for tackles etc.)

p.s. I imagine you could calculate in variables like how much improved a teams running game could be (espcially w their schedule taken into consideration) But Im thinkin more like Bucs (teams w a history of strong defense in past decades) TB could have better offence (dunno), Defense look impressive? This could effect Foster's 2nd yr performance/value etc.

I also know Quality star IDP players usually make their points (Question revolves more towards) "Hey you like/enjoy Bama's Defense, keep an eye on this NFL team; they look to shut down some teams" (if thats even possiblle in the NFL anymore)

Safeties that may rise this year-

Zach Brown LB

and Willie Young and McClellin prospects this year and next.

How about something on long term IDP players that are not being given as much attention (because they are not expected to be on the field, at least not in a prime position, until later in the season--or next season? A. Cole, D. Davis, JMJ, and Martez Wilson are a few that come to mind.

How long will it take for Curtis Lofton to get back to form and jump into the fray again? Is it smart to back him up with DJ Williams or DeMeco Ryan's for a few weeks to start the season?

'bengalboy said:
How long will it take for Curtis Lofton to get back to form and jump into the fray again? Is it smart to back him up with DJ Williams or DeMeco Ryan's for a few weeks to start the season?
No brainer, DJ Williams

No brainer, DJ Williams
:confused: Huh?!? You're aware Williams is suspended the first 6 games of the season, right?
:sarcasm: if someone plays IDP and doesn't know about williams suspension then YES i hope they play them. if there was a emoticon for "have you been living under a rock" i would have left it

1. Mays vs Woodyard, 1st 6 wks. and beyond. 3 downers? What teir?

2. Erin Henderson expectations for wk.1

3. Briggs upside w/o Urlacher

4. Rolando McClain suspension? How long? When?

5. Amari Speivey starter?

6. Latest on Derrick Morgan?

7. Derek Wolfe, how much dynasty upside?

Thx guys. Really enjoy your show! Keep up the good work.

Do you still consider Jerrell Freeman the guy to own as Angerer's replacment for the first 4 weeks of the season. I thought he looked pretty good against the Skins (But I am no expert or talent evaluator), seemed to be in on a lot of plays, had a very nice blitz that he destroyed RG3 on and just seemed more active than Conner.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that Freeman is in danger of losing the job as Angerer's replacement. He's been inconsistent during the preseason and is playing SILB, which means he'll likely have lots of variance in an every-down role. I think Conner is more likely to hold every-week LB3 value for now.

Do you think Larry English gets on the field enough to be fantasy relevant? He is a former #1 pick that has had a few injuries, I have read that he has been dominant in camp, and had 2 sacks in game #3 vs #1's for Minnesota.

Perhaps in a big play scoring system with deep lineups. Have to think he's fourth on the depth chart behind Phillips, Johnson and Ingram regardless of how well he may have showed in camp. There were pre-camp suggestions that he was on the roster bubble. That may have woken him up a bit, but I doubt it's enough to get him on the field for more than a handful of snaps a game.

Are there a few guys that we expect to rebound this year and why or why not?

I had Matt Shaughnessy, Lawrence Timmons and TJ Ward as potentials had we gotten to this question. I'm stubborn on Shaughnessy, but he's looked as dominant as ever at times during the preseason. Maybe the new coaching staff and slightly different scheme and return to health will finally help him reach his statistical potential. Timmons has already proven he can be a stud when he's not forced to play multiple positions and his defensive line is healthy. Ward is more of a hunch. I think he's talented enough to be productive in any scheme and there's no real competition for tackles elsewhere in the back seven.

A brief focus on players expected to become increasingly productive over the season due to suspension, injury recovery, acclimation to new surroundings, etc.

These players will become readily apparent once we begin seeing snap counts and a regular season look at how defensive schemes are changing. Defensive line rotations will be key, especially in Cincinnati, Tennessee and Philadelphia but in many other places, too. Keep an eye on talented linebackers with the potential to pass starters (Demario Davis) or assume every-down roles (Mychal Kendricks). The mess at the safety positions will also sort itself out pretty quickly.

A brief focus on rookie starting CBs that have potential but that will likely be picked on early this year? Maybe a chance of seeing several weeks of high production (INTs, Tckls, PDs) before opposing QBs start taking them seriously? Is there a name or 2 that fall into this category?

I'm not high on any current rookie starter. Stephon Gilmore has the right profile, but I think Aaron Williams will be the better fantasy play. Janoris Jenkins fits the profile, but his run support capability is suspect, which makes me question his tackle upside. I like Dre Kirkpatrick, but his injury has put him well behind the curve. Morris Claiborne has some of the same issues Jenkins has. We may not see a rookie corner stud establish himself until a player deep on a depth chart moves up in midseason.

Mychal Kendricks appears to have outplayed Ryans in preseason PHI, statistically and otherwise. Should he be moved ahead of Ryans in your rankings even though he's is at a situational disadvantage for stats? Same general question for L.David and M.Foster. Although a little less so since Foster seems to have had a pretty good camp.

Ryans moves down, Kendricks moves up. But I'm not ready to anoint Kendricks as the next super-stud every-down SLB. I moved Foster ahead of David, but we'll have to watch how Foster recovers from injury. By year's end, I'd handicap them as: Ryans (LB3+), Kendricks (LB4), Foster (LB2), David (LB3+).

Who are the pass rushers that you could see getting 10 or more sacks this season for the first time(along with any rookies)?

Lots of potentials, but I'd bet on Quinn, Clayborn and Houston. Chandler Jones has an outside shot, too.

Should we be worried about Timmons possibly moving to OLB again this year?

No. The ILB depth is weaker than the OLB depth this year, especially with the latest injury to Spence. Even before the injuries, the Steelers said they'd strongly prefer to keep Timmons inside this year.

Also can you explain why 3 down ILBs are gold but AJ Hawk is someone that nobody seems to want? He's been WW material in my deep league.

An every-down role is important, but a player needs to be in a favorable position in the scheme and talented enough to take advantage. Hawk doesn't get any bump in statistical value from his play in subpackages and he's not good enough to force himself into plays at SILB on base downs. There was a small bump while Bishop was out last season, but I don't see Hawk turning into an above replacement level LB3.

What's the latest on D. J. Smith? Is he playng 3 downs? How do you rank him?

I expect him to play every down. I have him in my LB3 tier, but he'll surely have a few LB2+ weeks.

Curious to hear of some rookie LB's who aren't getting much action this year, but could be great dynasty stashes for future years.

Zach Brown has to be considered, but Demario Davis and Vontaze Burfict are currently at the top of my list here.

Searcy or Wilson in BUF at SS?

Unless I've fallen asleep badly on something, I've seen nothing that suggests Searcy is closing on Wilson for snaps with the first team defense. Searcy would be a fantasy stud for a lot of other teams, but he's buried for now in Buffalo.

Will T Davis continue to take the 3rd down role from Kuechly that he played last weekend?

Davis is going to see lots of subpackage time. I think those snaps come at the expense of both Kuechly and Beason (when he returns). We'll get more information this week, but it feels like a similar situation to what we saw in Detroit at the beginning of 2011.

Will Robert Quinn be the #1 DL for STL?

This is a more interesting question than it looks. Chris Long really ought to be a better run defender than he is. And he really isn't the edge rushing talent he appeared to be last year. I think Quinn is clearly the higher upside pass rusher and he's got a chance to be a decent run defender on the back side. I think the stock answer would be that Long is the better all-around DE and Quinn the better pure pass rusher, but I'm not so sure that's accurate.

Clarity to Dahl/Stewart would be great

Yes, it would. :)

It feels like they want to start Dahl and use Stewart as a nickel backer again, but it's really hard to say for certain.

Heard about a judge possibly stopping or delaying the Saints player suspensions. Would this make Vilma fantasy relevant?

I think the Saints wanted to move on from Vilma anyway. His knees aren't healthy enough to defend the run effectively over a full season. He has never been fantasy relevant when playing a role in which he has to take on blocks regularly. LB3 at best if he somehow ends up playing MLB for New Orleans this year.

Is it finally time to start "buying on the bear" that is Bruce Carter?

Only if the price is right. Carter was intriguing as a flow-and-chase WILB with coverage and blitz capability. Now, next to a player whose already shown those elite skills, playing SILB and doing it tentatively, with a previously capable Dan Connor that is a better fit in the SILB spot looming behind him, he's a tough sell as more than a LB4+.

What do you think of Billy Winn DT Cle this year?

I had high hopes for Winn after watching him early during the week at the Senior Bowl. But he didn't finish the week well, had a so-so pre-draft season and then slid all the way to the 6th round. But Cleveland is a good spot for him -- nice rotation on early downs, could be a strong 3-tech in passing situations -- and the reports sound like the guy scouts thought was a potential late first - second round pick in January.

Definitely worth watching.

Are there a few guys that we expect to rebound this year and why or why not?

I had Matt Shaughnessy, Lawrence Timmons and TJ Ward as potentials had we gotten to this question. I'm stubborn on Shaughnessy, but he's looked as dominant as ever at times during the preseason. Maybe the new coaching staff and slightly different scheme and return to health will finally help him reach his statistical potential. Timmons has already proven he can be a stud when he's not forced to play multiple positions and his defensive line is healthy. Ward is more of a hunch. I think he's talented enough to be productive in any scheme and there's no real competition for tackles elsewhere in the back seven.

A brief focus on players expected to become increasingly productive over the season due to suspension, injury recovery, acclimation to new surroundings, etc.

These players will become readily apparent once we begin seeing snap counts and a regular season look at how defensive schemes are changing. Defensive line rotations will be key, especially in Cincinnati, Tennessee and Philadelphia but in many other places, too. Keep an eye on talented linebackers with the potential to pass starters (Demario Davis) or assume every-down roles (Mychal Kendricks). The mess at the safety positions will also sort itself out pretty quickly.

I'm not high on any current rookie starter. Stephon Gilmore has the right profile, but I think Aaron Williams will be the better fantasy play. Janoris Jenkins fits the profile, but his run support capability is suspect, which makes me question his tackle upside. I like Dre Kirkpatrick, but his injury has put him well behind the curve. Morris Claiborne has some of the same issues Jenkins has. We may not see a rookie corner stud establish himself until a player deep on a depth chart moves up in midseason.
Awesome, thanks for taking the time Jene...

Users who are viewing this thread