What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (1 Viewer)

Wait, I thought I was up?
 crap, I don't know what I did there. Totally thought it was my turn.   I'm operating off of my phone at the grocery store, so I must have misread what was going on. You can take Pierce as you definitely should be picking before me.

crap, I don't know what I did there. Totally thought it was my turn.   I'm operating off of my phone at the grocery store, so I must have misread what was going on. You can take Pierce as you definitely should be picking before me.
Do you forfeit your pick as a penalty? Cuz I'll take Pierce!  :P

We are good. I would rather piss blood in shark infested waters than draft Paul Pierce when The Human Highlight Reel is available.

Amen. I was SWEATING this one hard. 

4.12 Dominique Wilkins SF 80s (may move to 90s as he straddles perfectly)

I consider this a massive steal. He's as explosive as any athlete to ever play in the league. The rim will never be safe with him on the court. Plus, during the 2nd half of his career he showed he was a pretty solid shooter (NBA record of 23 straight made FTs). If he had played on a better team or if Atlanta had done a better job building around him I think he's a 2nd round caliber player.The no rings is an easy ding against him.  At 6'8" I think if dropped into today's NBA, he would be even more valuable which is hard to make sense of considering:

9x All Star

7x All NBA

Career average of 24.8 points, 6.7 rebounds and 2.5 assists 

2 seasons averaging over 30

14th all time in scoring, one of only 22 players with more than 25,000 points 

Tore his achilles and came back like it was an ankle sprain

Did this all against an elite era, carrying the Hawks against loaded Celtics, Lakers, Pistons and Bulls teams. He was every bit the player Zeke, Jordan, Bird and Magic were. He just never got a Pippen, McHale, Kareem around to help him. 

Then there is also the team building aspect. I needed an athletic wing and iso scorer in the worst way. 'Nique is pretty much a 10/10 in those categories. Defense wasn't his strong suit but I think with Russ and Zeke out there, he would put his length and athleticism to better use on defense. All world potential is there. 
This was my backup plan if I didn't get Mourning.

4.14 Dave Cowens C 70s

Gotsta have a major Celtic. Proud its this one.

My Uncle Jimmy took me to Celtics games every Sunday afternoon they were home from 1962-70. Spring of '69, we were at a game and Bill Russell went down ugly. Sprained ankle but looked worse. I've never felt so much dread in one room. Going into the playoffs without #6 (our coach as well, mind you) was that inconceivable. He made it to the playoffs and won us another title, then promptly walked away. The dread was real now - that was it.

We suffered thru an awful year (i've told my Hank Finkel story already) of Tommy Heinsohn yelling at his players almost as much as the refs, then we drafted a small, slow white guy to replace our big, slow white guy who had replaced the Greatest Winner of All Time. Yeesh - this is gonna be brutal.

Dont wanna pull a Jayrod (how many Jayrods are there to pull now?) but the centers of the 70s were a Murderer's Row - one tall, one thick, one tall & thick etc etc. besides Kareem and Walton and Unseld and Cowens there are at least 3 more that should go in the Top 100. Yet the only team to win two championships in the 70s were the Dave Cowens/John Havlicek Celtics. Still cant believe it and i was there. And of all the great 70s centers, i believe he would have adapted best to the trey game. The battles w the guy in Denver would be epic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was weighing Nique and Paul George at 4.05. Went Paul George to get better defense and 'dirty work' at the expense of highlight-reel offense. Not that George doesn't contribute to the offense very effectively in his own ways.

Was weighing Nique and Paul George at 4.05. Went Paul George to get better defense and 'dirty work' at the expense of highlight-reel offense. Not that George doesn't contribute to the offense very effectively in his own ways.
Makes sense. I feel like Dominique could have done a lot more on defense. He's physically pretty much the ideal NBA wing. Long, strong and explosive. He made perfect sense for my team, needed points since Bill Russell and Zeke weren't high PPG guys. I didn't have that classic pure scorer like a Jordan or Kobe.  

So my pantheon team thus far is extremely athletic so we will be running a lot, so I need another athlete who can keep up. While Lebron and Cousy are excellent defenders, Maravich is somewhat lacking in that area, so I need a defensive anchor. A defensive anchor who can keep up and who can finish in a variety of ways. So I give you:

4.11 C Alonzo Mourning, 90s

career stats: 17.1ppg, 8.5rpg, 2.8bpg. But, his numbers before the kidney issue? 20.3ppg, 9.8rpg, 3.0bpg. 12th all-time in blocks and 6th all-time in blocks per game.

Led the league in blocks twice, won DPOY twice, twice 1st team All Defense, 7 time All-Star. He may very well have won more Defensive awards if it wasn't for somebody I won't name. 

PG Bob Cousy

SG Pete Maravich

SF Lebron James

PF 

C Alonzo Mourning

Me likey

@Ilov80s @iLoveBushCookie
grrr, i hate my draft position of 1,32. totally stole my guy

Makes sense. I feel like Dominique could have done a lot more on defense. He's physically pretty much the ideal NBA wing. Long, strong and explosive.  
Dominique was a product of the league he entered and his team's philosophy. Wilkins -- and a bunch of other guys -- came up during a time of general defensive de-emphasis in the NBA. Pulling his second NBA season (1983-84) as a sample, over half the league teams averaged 110+ ppg, and only three teams allowed less than 105 ppg. If D. Wilkins comes into the league five years later under a coach like Chuck Daly, he might have molded his game in a different direction.

EDIT: It was actually " ... averaged one hundred and ten ppg". Fixed and bolded above.

Dominique was a great scorer and my initial plan was to take him.

Since I really didn't have any choice, it didn't matter, but I'm more at peace with Pierce instead of being upset I got sniped.  I just didn't want two slashers with Kareem and Giannis already working in the paint.  Every posession would have been a traffic jam.

Dominique was a product of the league he entered and his team's philosophy. Wilkins -- and a bunch of other guys -- came up during a time of general defensive de-emphasis in the NBA. Pulling his second NBA season (1983-84) as a sample, over half the league teams averaged 100+ ppg, and only three teams allowed less than 105 ppg. If D. Wilkins comes into the league five years later under a coach like Chuck Daly, he might have molded his game in a different direction.
Great point and while that was maybe a weakness, it was also maybe played into just how incredible he was on the offensive end. From 84-94 he was a 28.0 ppg. 

Dominique was a great scorer and my initial plan was to take him.

Since I really didn't have any choice, it didn't matter, but I'm more at peace with Pierce instead of being upset I got sniped.  I just didn't want two slashers with Kareem and Giannis already working in the paint.  Every posession would have been a traffic jam.
Makes sense. Pierce is a better fit for what you have. Giannis and 'Nique are too similar. 

so when we are judging this, are we thinking what would this team look like through an entire season or for their entire career through that decade?

just wondering how much longevity will weigh in?

so when we are judging this, are we thinking what would this team look like through an entire season or for their entire career through that decade?

That's one of the subjective factors, which is why Yo Mama wants multiple judges for each category, to smooth out the opinions to gain more of a consensus. 

James Worthy SF 
cool. i think i have my 2 so should be right back to you soon. 

First at 3.16 is a guy i can't look away from. My poor 60s and 70s teams might be tough to compete, but as a loyal Sixers fan i am willing to Tank a decade to soar the rest of them:

3.16:  Joel "The Process" Embiid  C, 10's  - prediction if we do this draft in 5-10 years from now, Joel goes in the 1st round.

honestly if you look into this guy and his stats, he rivals the top 3 Centers of all time. often compared to Hakeem, Hakeem has already said he could be better than him. Dr. J has said similar:

random stuff i copied and pasted earlier today:

Embiid has just four NBA seasons (2 missed because of injury) but has an unmatched potential. A three-time All-Star already, Embiid has averaged 24.1 points, 11.5 rebounds, and 1.8 blocks per game. Embiid is also a significant force on the defensive end, making 2 All-Defensive teams in his brief career.

The way he is scoring so efficiently has put him at the top of some elite lists when it comes to centers. He is averaging 11.6 free throws per game and he is knocking them down 85.6% of the time.

Wilt Chamberlain, Walt Bellamy, and Moses Malone are the only centers to average 30+ points and 10+ free throws in a season. If Embiid can keep this type of production up, he will be just the fourth center to accomplish the feat and he would be the only one to shoot over 80% from the line.

Centers with 30+ points and 10+ free-throw attempts per game in a season:

– Wilt Chamberlain (7x)

– Walt Bellamy

– Moses Malone

– Joel Embiid this season

Embiid is the only one shooting 80%+ from the line. pic.twitter.com/p7c9lQkM65

Yesterday was Joel Embiid's 3rd game with 40+ points and 19+ rebounds. Since 1980, the only other players to do that 3+ times are

Charles Barkley

DeMarcus Cousins

Anthony Davis

Kevin Love

Moses Malone

Hakeem Olajuwon

Shaquille O'Neal

SportsCenter] Joel Embiid is on pace to join 2015-16 Stephen Curry as the only players to average 30 points on 50% shooting and 40% on 3-pointers in a season. Steph was the unanimous MVP that season 👀 (h/t @ESPNStatsInfo)

good question, I was looking at a list that adjusted stats to only look at players best 10 years to cancel out longevity and focus on peak performance. It helped some of my guys a lot. 

Thomas went from 9th all time to 4th in assists, Wilkins became the 9th best scorer of all time. 

That's one of the subjective factors, which is why Yo Mama wants multiple judges for each category, to smooth out the opinions to gain more of a consensus. 
I'm curious how my Luka pick will be judged. Yes, he's barely got 150 games under his belt, but flirting with a 30/10/10 average at such a young age is ridiculous. Obviously past performance offers no assurance of future greatness and we've seen greatness curtailed by injuries (and worse), but I think the sample size is large enough here that my "pantheon" roster looks fabulous.  

I'm curious how my Luka pick will be judged. Yes, he's barely got 150 games under his belt, but flirting with a 30/10/10 average at such a young age is ridiculous. Obviously past performance offers no assurance of future greatness and we've seen greatness curtailed by injuries (and worse), but I think the sample size is large enough here that my "pantheon" roster looks fabulous.  
thinking similar with Joel (who i would say is even better than Luka, but that is another conversation).

I think with guys still in the league and not finishing their careers, some of these will be tup in the air. Embiid has shown this year that he can come into a season with conditioning and in shape and minus a 2-handed shove by Lebron in the air, would have been healthy

grr, give me 5 more minutes. love a guy i want to take, but have to roll the dice he will be there next round...

By the way, awesome job weekend drafting gang. Got more than a full round in today (and a bunch last night too). 

Only 27 more rounds to go!

3.16:  Joel "The Process" Embiid  C, 10's  
This year's stats are so bonkers in the NBA. Everything is a bit inflated. Embiid has the 13th best PER of all time this season... He's not even number one at his position this year.

I think it was Kevin Pelton that had the stat (or one of those nerdy stat types, they all blend in my head) that there was something like 46 players going into the All-Star break that had some sort of stat line that had never been achieved by a player that missed the All-Star game.

This year's stats are so bonkers in the NBA. Everything is a bit inflated. Embiid has the 13th best PER of all time this season... He's not even number one at his position this year.

I think it was Kevin Pelton that had the stat (or one of those nerdy stat types, they all blend in my head) that there was something like 46 players going into the All-Star break that had some sort of stat line that had never been achieved by a player that missed the All-Star game.
the other guy is close (won't mention his name caus he likely goes this round), but Embiid's defense is loads above that other guy. Not saying he isn't good because he is, but Embiid's top notch (close to DPOY every year) is certainly worth it

4.1 picking a guy i don't know a ton about, so at least i can check out some youtube on him before progressing. not a long career, but a lot of reason why below:

4.1  Connie Hawkins   PF, (TBD if 60s or 70s)

Career stats: 28.2 PPG, 12.6 RPG, 4.3 APG

Due to his alleged ties to a point-shaving scandal of the early 1960s, post player Connie Hawkins was unable to play in the NBA, as then-commissioner J. Walter Kennedy openly barred Hawkins from earning a contract with the league. Instead, Hawkins had to play in smaller organizations like the ABA, ABL, and even with the Harlem Globetrotters. During his time in Minnesota and Pittsburgh, Hawkins became the 1968 ABA MVP and won a championship in that same year. Eventually, though, Hawkins filed a lawsuit against the NBA, saying that there was no substantial evidence linking him to the gambling scandal that had kept him out of the league. They eventually settled with him, and Hawkins jumped ship to the NBA after the 1968-1969 season.

-----------------

A slender 6-foot-8 forward most remembered for his styling ‘70s facial hair, a glide like Clyde’s and hands big enough to wave the ball around like a grapefruit, Hawkins left us forever wanting more not at the back end of his career but at the front. He arrived late, held off by allegations that proved to be unfounded and a ban from the NBA – first unofficial, then more formal – that kept him knocking around the professional game’s netherworld for eight long years.

Hawkins played seven seasons in the league. He had his best year as a 27-year-old rookie in 1969-70, averaging 24.6 points and 9.1 rebounds as the Phoenix Suns’ first superstar. He was an All-Star in each of his first four seasons, and his court exploits were known widely enough – more word of mouth than video in those days – that he made it into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread