What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (1 Viewer)

That was quite the roller coaster reading through the thread this morning. 

Also, Magic is my all-time favorite too, and who I would have taken at #3 if I had stayed and LBJ had gone #2.

1.03 Earvin "Magic" Johnson PG 1980s.

This game's beauty is and always will be about the getting of the shot and nobody has achieved same as definitively as Magic. Though i'm a Boston boy and he's caused me a lot of pain, Johnson's been my #1 choosies guy since i first saw him and i doubt that will ever change.

@Jayrod (bet he wakes up surprised)
My favorite player.  Thought there was an outside chance he lasted until #9.  Dammit......but enjoy!

Those are my easy top six, although I think I’d rank them:

Jordan

Wilt

Kareem

LeBron

Magic

Russell

And if you asked me tomorrow I’d probably swap 2/3 and 4/5. 

I am totally winging it here, zero thought being given until it’s my pick 
I think the first 3-5 rounds will be no problem with this method.  After that, comparing PF's from the 1970's vs SG's from the 2000's gets difficult.  Filling out the back end of rosters in rounds 20+ will get goofy.

Frostillicus said:
1.06 PG/SF/PF Lebron James, 10s

I completely get all the arguments for the players taken before Lebron, it's part of the reason I wanted no part of pick #3 when I thought he'd go second. I actually dropped to 6 with the hopes of getting Magic. Obviously I'm thrilled to get who I consider the best player of all-time. He has the versatility to play multiple positions, slot into multiple eras, and fit in with just about anybody on the court. Yay me!
wow, this is hilarious. i thought mr timmy might take Kareem, which is why i swapped up with you, thinking you had underrated your chance to get LBJ and we could make your head explode. but not #6. no way.

can't stand the guy, wont watch him, but this is just wrong. if tim had taken Magic @ 1.02, i would have taken James over the centers, with Russ the only possible consideration as the center who won for reasons other than size and because winning is still the point. as a basketball purist, that the biggest guy was the best guy was always a flaw in the NBA game. Wilt, Kareem didnt play basketball better than any of the top dozen. they were not as great as they were dominant. not their fault, but neither their credit

I think the first 3-5 rounds will be no problem with this method.  After that, comparing PF's from the 1970's vs SG's from the 2000's gets difficult.  Filling out the back end of rosters in rounds 20+ will get goofy.
Yeah I don’t expect to win, just looking for a fun diversion. 

1.07 - Kobe Bryant, SG, 2000's
You are making it hard for me.  I had three players I was debating between for my pick at 1.09 and Kobe wasn't one of them.  Now I will have to choose.  

PS - Kobe is my least favorite player of all time and I am a Laker fan.  I actually stopped rooting for the Lakers until he retired.  Great talent but I couldn't stand his selfishness and throwing teammates under the bus.  

Frostillicus said:
1.06 PG/SF/PF Lebron James, 10s

I completely get all the arguments for the players taken before Lebron, it's part of the reason I wanted no part of pick #3 when I thought he'd go second. I actually dropped to 6 with the hopes of getting Magic. Obviously I'm thrilled to get who I consider the best player of all-time. He has the versatility to play multiple positions, slot into multiple eras, and fit in with just about anybody on the court. Yay me!
Steal

You are making it hard for me.  I had three players I was debating between for my pick at 1.09 and Kobe wasn't one of them.  Now I will have to choose.  

PS - Kobe is my least favorite player of all time and I am a Laker fan.  I actually stopped rooting for the Lakers until he retired.  Great talent but I couldn't stand his selfishness and throwing teammates under the bus.  
I had the same thing and it's making this hard. Wonder if the same 3 LOL. Pick coming soon. 

Through 7 whole picks:

Best value: LeBron James @ 1.06 - crazy he fell that far in an all-time draft.  Felt Jordan was the pick @ 1.01 and I had LBJ #2 overall myself.

Biggest debate: Wilt Chamberlain @ 1.02 - his selection this high can only be justified strictly by on-court numbers (which is reasonable) or by his off-court numbers (20,000 partners?).

wow, this is hilarious. i thought mr timmy might take Kareem, which is why i swapped up with you, thinking you had underrated your chance to get LBJ and we could make your head explode. but not #6. no way.

can't stand the guy, wont watch him, but this is just wrong. if tim had taken Magic @ 1.02, i would have taken James over the centers, with Russ the only possible consideration as the center who won for reasons other than size and because winning is still the point. as a basketball purist, that the biggest guy was the best guy was always a flaw in the NBA game. Wilt, Kareem didnt play basketball better than any of the top dozen. they were not as great as they were dominant. not their fault, but neither their credit
LBJ was my #3.  I didn't really want him because I personally don't like him, so some subjectivity went into Kareem over him.  In the pursuit of dominance in objective basketball history, LeBron is #2.  I felt like the top 3 in this draft were clear cut, but they went 1, 4, 6.

I love basketball for several reasons, but the main one is that there are so many ways to be great that it truly is an art form.  I am fascinated by the current game that exists where the truly best players all seem to be great at different things or at least in different ways.  How LeBron is great vs xxxxxxxxx.  None of those guys do what the others do in the way they do them, yet they are all taking turns as the best player on a given night along with several others. But then that is also simply a part of the team and how players compliment (or don't) each other throughout the season is another whole layer of conversation and fascination.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man. I came down to 3 choices here that I really love. I'll have to explain my logic later when the others go. Suffice to say I've been agonizing since I realized LeBron would go at 6 (wtf?!?!?!) and I'd get one of these three for sure.

1.08 Oscar Robertson, 1960s G

I've gone back and forth on this like three times, narrowing down to the other two, then adding him back in, then narrowing to him and one other...at the end of the day, I just don't think there are that many early decades guys who also belong on a pantheon squad. Early decade scarcity played a big role in my choice here, and it pains me greatly to leave two others on the board. I imagine they'll go back to back, but perhaps not. I also put some faith into judging that isn't going to drastically overweight recent players, because we seem to have a lot of NBA knowledge here.

I'll do a write up after a few picks on reasons if appropriate. 

@trader jakedecided to help me out so I shouldn't have to make a decision on my three choices.  We are going to flip flop draft slots where Trader Jake moves to #9 and I drop to #10.  Now @Instinctive and @trader jakejust need to take two of my three so I have no decision to make...haha

@Yo Mama is it an authorized deal?

Man. I came down to 3 choices here that I really love. I'll have to explain my logic later when the others go. Suffice to say I've been agonizing since I realized LeBron would go at 6 (wtf?!?!?!) and I'd get one of these three for sure.

I've gone back and forth on this like three times, narrowing down to the other two, then adding him back in, then narrowing to him and one other...at the end of the day, I just don't think there are that many early decades guys who also belong on a pantheon squad. Early decade scarcity played a big role in my choice here, and it pains me greatly to leave two others on the board. I imagine they'll go back to back, but perhaps not. I also put some faith into judging that isn't going to drastically overweight recent players, because we seem to have a lot of NBA knowledge here.

Was on my very short list.  Career 25/9/7, or something like that.  Amazing.

I make a trade so I don't have a decision to make and now you go and screw it up and don't take one of the three....hahahaha.

I was hoping Oscar was going to make it back for my 2nd pick.  

LBJ was my #3.  I didn't really want him because I personally don't like him, so some subjectivity went into Kareem over him.  In the pursuit of dominance in objective basketball history, LeBron is #2.  I felt like the top 3 in this draft were clear cut, but they went 1, 4, 6.

I love basketball for several reasons, but the main one is that there are so many ways to be great that it truly is an art form.  I am fascinated by the current game that exists where the truly best players all seem to be great at different things or at least in different ways.  How LeBron is great vsxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.  None of those guys do what the others do in the way they do them, yet they are all taking turns as the best player on a given night along with several others. But then that is also simply a part of the team and how players compliment (or don't) each other throughout the season is another whole layer of conversation and fascination.
spotlights, my friend. looked down upon here, much as it hinders discussion

I make a trade so I don't have a decision to make and now you go and screw it up and don't take one of the three....hahahaha.

I was hoping Oscar was going to make it back for my 2nd pick.  
Definitely wouldn’t have made it back to you

1.09 Larry Bird - SF 1980's

Swapped draft slots to land The Hick from French Lick.  When you think of Larry Legend what comes to mind?  The steal and pass against the Pistons, his proclamation that everyone was playing for 2nd in the 3pt contest with him winning, finger aloft not even bothering to take off his warm up jacket, or one of his numerous highlight reel passes or shots?

Larry Bird was cold blooded when it mattered most on the biggest stages against other all-time players.  He put up ridiculous numbers on winning teams when defenses got away with all kinds of nonsense.  His passing skills would inject life into any offense, in any era, with any group of teammates and he's a matchup nightmare.  Plus he's the single best trash talker of all-time. #33

I love basketball for several reasons, but the main one is that there are so many ways to be great that it truly is an art form.  I am fascinated by the current game that exists where the truly best players all seem to be great at different things or at least in different ways.  How LeBron is great vs xxxxxxxxx.  None of those guys do what the others do in the way they do them, yet they are all taking turns as the best player on a given night along with several others. But then that is also simply a part of the team and how players compliment (or don't) each other throughout the season is another whole layer of conversation and fascination.
Yeah if it is was just pick the best players ever, no way I pass on LBJ for Russell. However there are lots of categories that I tried to consider. Not sure that was the right move though. 

Well I had a tier of three as it approached my pick and finally one of them was taken.  Being a Laker fan it would have pained me to take Bird but that is what I was leaning until Trader Jake approached about a deal to move back.  I can sleep easy now that I don't have a hated Celtic as my first pick.  Now I have to make a decision and I will go with:

1.10 - Tim Duncan - PF/2000's

A wonderful anchor to a team that just wants to win.  "The Big Fundamental" is a very apt description for the epitome of a true professional.  He is a five-time NBA champion, a two-time NBA MVP, a three-time NBA Finals MVP, a 15-time NBA All-Star, and the only player to be selected to both the All-NBA and All-Defensive Teams for 13 consecutive seasons.

Career highlights and awards

• 5× NBA champion (1999, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2014)
  • 3× NBA Finals MVP (1999, 2003, 2005)
  • 2× NBA Most Valuable Player (2002, 2003)
  • 15× NBA All-Star (1998, 2000–2011, 2013, 2015)
  • NBA All-Star Game MVP (2000)
  • 10× All-NBA First Team (1998–2005, 2007, 2013)
  • 3× All-NBA Second Team (2006, 2008, 2009)
  • 2× All-NBA Third Team (2010, 2015)
  • 8× NBA All-Defensive First Team (1999–2003, 2005, 2007, 2008)
  • 7× NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1998, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2015)
  • NBA Rookie of the Year (1998)
  • NBA All-Rookie First Team (1998)
  • NBA Teammate of the Year (2015)
  • No. 21 retired by San Antonio Spurs
  • USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year (2003)
  • Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year (2003)
  • Consensus National College Player of the Year (1997)
  • 2× Consensus first-team All-American (1996, 1997)
  • Chip Hilton Player of the Year (1997)
  • NCAA rebounding leader (1997)
  • 3× NABC Defensive Player of the Year (1995–1997)
  • 2× ACC Player of the Year (1996, 1997)
  • 3× First-team All-ACC (1995–1997)
  • No. 21 retired by Wake Forest Demon Deacons

Well I had a tier of three as it approached my pick and finally one of them was taken.  Being a Laker fan it would have pained me to take Bird but that is what I was leaning until Trader Jake approached about a deal to move back.  I can sleep easy now that I don't have a hated Celtic as my first pick.  Now I have to make a decision and I will go with:

A wonderful anchor to a team that just wants to win.  "The Big Fundamental" is a very apt description for the epitome of a true professional.  He is a five-time NBA champion, a two-time NBA MVP, a three-time NBA Finals MVP, a 15-time NBA All-Star, and the only player to be selected to both the All-NBA and All-Defensive Teams for 13 consecutive seasons.

Career highlights and awards

• 5× NBA champion (1999, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2014)
  • 3× NBA Finals MVP (1999, 2003, 2005)
  • 2× NBA Most Valuable Player (2002, 2003)
  • 15× NBA All-Star (1998, 2000–2011, 2013, 2015)
  • NBA All-Star Game MVP (2000)
  • 10× All-NBA First Team (1998–2005, 2007, 2013)
  • 3× All-NBA Second Team (2006, 2008, 2009)
  • 2× All-NBA Third Team (2010, 2015)
  • 8× NBA All-Defensive First Team (1999–2003, 2005, 2007, 2008)
  • 7× NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1998, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2015)
  • NBA Rookie of the Year (1998)
  • NBA All-Rookie First Team (1998)
  • NBA Teammate of the Year (2015)
  • No. 21 retired by San Antonio Spurs
  • USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year (2003)
  • Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year (2003)
  • Consensus National College Player of the Year (1997)
  • 2× Consensus first-team All-American (1996, 1997)
  • Chip Hilton Player of the Year (1997)
  • NCAA rebounding leader (1997)
  • 3× NABC Defensive Player of the Year (1995–1997)
  • 2× ACC Player of the Year (1996, 1997)
  • 3× First-team All-ACC (1995–1997)
  • No. 21 retired by Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Well ####.

Swapped draft slots to land The Hick from French Lick.  When you think of Larry Legend what comes to mind?  The steal and pass against the Pistons, his proclamation that everyone was playing for 2nd in the 3pt contest with him winning, finger aloft not even bothering to take off his warm up jacket, or one of his numerous highlight reel passes or shots?

Larry Bird was cold blooded when it mattered most on the biggest stages against other all-time players.  He put up ridiculous numbers on winning teams when defenses got away with all kinds of nonsense.  His passing skills would inject life into any offense, in any era, with any group of teammates and he's a matchup nightmare.  Plus he's the single best trash talker of all-time. #33
For three straight years, a slow, goofy looking white boy was the baddest MF'er on the court in the world.

I had him ranked over three of the players we've drafted before him and to my grave will consider him a better basketball player than Magic (though I would have drafted Magic over him in this draft).

most with the least. not close -

#1 PF. suck C. hi, timsportsdraft! (can someone link me to that? - i forget who i'm offending)

Yeah I was hoping to land Duncan.  

1.11 - Hakeem Olajuawan 

He broke my heart many times.  
in pure basketball terms, played the center position best i've ever seen it played

1.12: C David Robinson, 1990s

Stat I did not know:

David Robinson and Michael Jordan have virtually identical Win Shares per 48 minutes over their careers -- MJ at .2505 and The Admiral at .2502.

@higgins
WS/48 is an odd stat.   After those two, it seems to be dominated by 2 eras.... the 2010's and the 1960s.  :loco:

Users who are viewing this thread