What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (1 Viewer)

lol, yeah my 2010 team is really dependent on Embiid. Parts around him will help, and i think Deng should get more credit then he likely will, but Embiid is close to the most dominant center of 2010's (if we ignore injuries, mostly fluke one's like Fultz shouldering Embiid in the face to crack his face).

i think Embiid alone should put the team in the top 2/3 of the ranking. after that it is a little bit of a guess
Seems kind of lofty since there are more than 2 or 3 players I would take over Embiid for that decade. 

lol, yeah my 2010 team is really dependent on Embiid. Parts around him will help, and i think Deng should get more credit then he likely will, but Embiid is close to the most dominant center of 2010's (if we ignore injuries, mostly fluke one's like Fultz shouldering Embiid in the face to crack his face).

i think Embiid alone should put the team in the top 2/3 of the ranking. after that it is a little bit of a guess
Either I live on a far away planet for crazies, or you're going to be very disappointed.

ETA: even if I read the sentence as top two-thirds, and not top 2-3, my statement stands. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the 2010s rankings mostly in, or is it worth it to re-post some writeups? My overall squad is:

PG- Steph Curry

SG - Zach LeVine

SF - Paul George

PF - Domantas Sabonis

C - Nikola Vucevic
I like your team. I already did rankings.

I would say overall the writeups have done very little to influence my rankings. But they have all been very fun to read!

Are the 2010s rankings mostly in, or is it worth it to re-post some writeups? My overall squad is:

PG- Steph Curry

SG - Zach LeVine

SF - Paul George

PF - Domantas Sabonis

C - Nikola Vucevic
this is the team i would least like to oppose, but two of em were little more than promising scrubs when the teens ended

this is the team i would least like to oppose, but two of em were little more than promising scrubs when the teens ended
:confused:

All players on my 2010's squad have multiple All-Star Game appearances except Zach LeVine (one-time AS). LeVine is in his seventh season. D. Sabonis is in his fifth, Vucevic is in his tenth. :shrug:  

EDIT: Should've mentioned, too, that Yo Mama was explicit in the draft format (post #2 of this thread that the final time period is not merely the "2010s", but "2010s (and beyond)". Essentially, a 12-season "decade" -- 2019-20 and 2020-21 definitely count.

:confused:

All players on my 2010's squad have multiple All-Star Game appearances except Zach LeVine (one-time AS). LeVine is in his seventh season. D. Sabonis is in his fifth, Vucevic is in his tenth. :shrug:  

EDIT: Should've mentioned, too, that Yo Mama was explicit in the draft format (post #2 of this thread that the final time period is not merely the "2010s", but "2010s (and beyond)". Essentially, a 12-season "decade" -- 2019-20 and 2020-21 definitely count.
yeah, i never read anyone's posts except in service to my own mighty & brilliant declamations, so i miss things like that.

I'm guessing some people are ranking based on what could be vs what has actually occurred.
When evaluating based on a pickup game it's hard not to take guys based on what they are actually doing (young guys).  There are a few obviously great players that have less than 5 years of service time.  The question becomes when does a player get "full value" and not dinged for longevity issues.  

There is a difference between projecting greatness and giving full greatness for what they have already accomplished. 

Either I live on a far away planet for crazies, or you're going to be very disappointed.

ETA: even if I read the sentence as top two-thirds, and not top 2-3, my statement stands. 
Yeah not top 2 or 3. Would be great if everyone saw Embiid like i did, but i know that is not the case, particularly taking into account the entire decade. I do think many will judge and not take much weight with Ellis or Lee, and will score higher the youth in the league now. the 2010 measurements will be tricky for sure. I do think Ellis and Lee are better than 5-6 guys in those positions across other teams

Yeah not top 2 or 3. Would be great if everyone saw Embiid like i did, but i know that is not the case, particularly taking into account the entire decade. I do think many will judge and not take much weight with Ellis or Lee, and will score higher the youth in the league now. the 2010 measurements will be tricky for sure. I do think Ellis and Lee are better than 5-6 guys in those positions across other teams
I do see Embiid as amazing.

Williams and Ellis are far and away the worst backcourt. There's not even a next closest team in the 10s because the gap is so gigantic. Ellis is my 15th ranked SG ahead of only LaVine and only because this is pretty much the second season LaVine hasn't been very bad. Lou Will is the worst PG by a mile as well. He's a mediocre SG overhyped because he plays against backups and scores a lot. There are undrafted guys at both positions who could have bumped your team up a lot.

Hell you could have had PatBev and Tony Allen back there and it would have jumped you a few spots in my ranking. And I'd be shocked if that was the best combo possible of the undrafteds.

I do see Embiid as amazing.

Williams and Ellis are far and away the worst backcourt. There's not even a next closest team in the 10s because the gap is so gigantic. Ellis is my 15th ranked SG ahead of only LaVine and only because this is pretty much the second season LaVine hasn't been very bad. Lou Will is the worst PG by a mile as well. He's a mediocre SG overhyped because he plays against backups and scores a lot. There are undrafted guys at both positions who could have bumped your team up a lot.
yeah, i regret grabbing Lou because i figured i would be viewed worse. did make the decision to grab him though based on majority of his career in the 10s, and the fact that a lot of other guys out there haven't played a ton of years

it will be interesting. Not suggesting at all, but let's say Trey Young gets a season ending injury in a month and the rest of his career is worse and lowered significantly because of this injury. Look at Demarcus Cousins, etc. we basing that on potential, or we basing on what his overall stats have been. 

judging this round will legit be all over. i think our judging is significantly different with this round, and we will see. sure there are better guys then Lou, but look at his numbers over 10's and he is way more consistent and dependable than 6-7 guys on other teams. Sure he doesn't have higher overall stats, but his body of work should be considered too. 

and really think we need to judge based on whole team too. give me a team with 5 Harden's and i don't think they are superior to all. team needs that balance

sure there are better guys then Lou, but look at his numbers over 10's and he is way more consistent and dependable than 6-7 guys on other teams. Sure he doesn't have higher overall stats, but his body of work should be considered too. 

and really think we need to judge based on whole team too. give me a team with 5 Harden's and i don't think they are superior to all. team needs that balance
No. He isn't.

Dragic, Jeff Teague, Jamal Crawford, J.J. Barea, Devin Harris, Ricky Rubio, Eric Bledsoe, Eric Gordon, Jose Calderon...

#### I'd take Jameer Nelson, Jeremy Lin!!! Ray Felton! Ty lawson too.......

When evaluating based on a pickup game it's hard not to take guys based on what they are actually doing (young guys).  There are a few obviously great players that have less than 5 years of service time.  The question becomes when does a player get "full value" and not dinged for longevity issues.  

There is a difference between projecting greatness and giving full greatness for what they have already accomplished. 
my head is all choosies, has been from the beginning - sports, words, morals, company, pursuits. the best life lies in knowing who you are and that of which you are capable, that the give is the get in life, and making choices based on value.

as i've recounted before, i "played" fantasy sports for the first time in 1968 in a school cafeteria when me, Jimmy Mezger & Larry Litelli "drafted" teams from the SI Season Preview issue and kept score by the stats in the Sunday Globe.

i am of the George Foster school of value, which is the virtual opposite of Hall of Fame school of value. talented is exhibited, value confirmed, place in the hierarchy established, consideration then given to durability & decline in an ancillary fashion. George Foster scared the piss out of pitchers more than anyone but Willie McCovey or Barry Bonds for FIVE YEARS. there are probably a hundred batters in the HOF who NEVER scared a pitcher - that's why you've never seen a comment from me on any Hall of Fame that wasn't 99% spit.

we are dealing with two dead guys - RLewis & DPetrovic - i know of. value established on both - 100 out of 100 b-ball people would have told you Lewis was only getting better and Drazen would only have drawn more deliciously irritating comparisons to Kobe. they were both undervalued by the quantifying HOFheads who make up most of the "letter" gens (that's your value). it's not close to being right.

in the draft a decade ago, i considered injured guys higher as long as they had definitively established their value before they became less available. Waltons, Hills - hell yes. Penny established greatness, perhaps not alltimeness. Same with Amare. McGrady's willingness to play at less than his best influences his alltime value (i put him behind Penny, ahead of Amare). I watched Derrick Rose play last nite and it almost made me cry. but a great. Oden, Bowie, of course not. 

Then there's my guy, all-time Top 5 center, Sabonis. His value as such was never established here. Even if one didnt see him play Euroball (as i did), one could extrapolate that, if he was a leading player on a playoff team when he could qualify for handicapped parking at the arena, but i get it that some cant go there. recent FFA drafts have showed me, tho,  that number of allstar games played more than actual stardom with this set, so.....

Then there's the kids. I count 12 players on 2010 - including one of mine (but he fit my team and kids were flying off the board) - who have not establlshed alltime value. my guess is that all but maybe 2 will, but they shouldnt have been drafted. Embiid could end up the best i ever seen but, one year ago, Aron frikkin Baynes types could lean on him and get him to stop playing. no value yet. Doncic, 3rd season but he's been the Magic/Bird/Westbrook/Harden from day one. yes value

there. wanted to lay that down before the next phase. nufced

Dragic, Jeff Teague, Jamal Crawford, J.J. Barea, Devin Harris, Ricky Rubio, Eric Bledsoe, Eric Gordon, Jose Calderon...

#### I'd take Jameer Nelson, Jeremy Lin!!! Ray Felton! Ty lawson too.......
yeah, looking back Jameer and Lawson were considered, but Jameer was heavier in the 2000s then 10s so i decided to skip. Calderon is a good call, same with Lin and Felton. would have been nice if i could have grabbed a free agent afterward.

but if you looks at Lou per minute from 10-20, he would be over 20 ppg

yeah, looking back Jameer and Lawson were considered, but Jameer was heavier in the 2000s then 10s so i decided to skip. Calderon is a good call, same with Lin and Felton. would have been nice if i could have grabbed a free agent afterward.

but if you looks at Lou per minute from 10-20, he would be over 20 ppg
Yeah his per minute stats are all against garbage. He doesn't hold up against starters, doesn't close games. He's like a middle relief pitcher with a league average ERA on a 70 win team.

And even against all that trash his defense is still atrocious. I could score on nobody in the NBA. But in a game of 1 on 1 I could fake a pass and LouWIll would still go for it and I could at least attempt a shot as a result.

He is the least deserving but still drafted player in the entire exercise. 

Yeah his per minute stats are all against garbage. He doesn't hold up against starters, doesn't close games. He's like a middle relief pitcher with a league average ERA on a 70 win team.

And even against all that trash his defense is still atrocious. I could score on nobody in the NBA. But in a game of 1 on 1 I could fake a pass and LouWIll would still go for it and I could at least attempt a shot as a result.

He is the least deserving but still drafted player in the entire exercise. 
:kicksrock:   no benefit then of getting him because of his career in each year throughout the 10's? i thought that would hold a lot more weight 

:kicksrock:   no benefit then of getting him because of his career in each year throughout the 10's? i thought that would hold a lot more weight 
It holds a lot of weight that he was bad for ten years. I'd rather have a guy who was bad for 3 and then good for 3 than a guy who played all 10 and was bad.

Of course I'm just one ranker of many and I've been against the consensus throughout the draft in some way or another it feels.

my head is all choosies, has been from the beginning - sports, words, morals, company, pursuits. the best life lies in knowing who you are and that of which you are capable, that the give is the get in life, and making choices based on value.

as i've recounted before, i "played" fantasy sports for the first time in 1968 in a school cafeteria when me, Jimmy Mezger & Larry Litelli "drafted" teams from the SI Season Preview issue and kept score by the stats in the Sunday Globe.

i am of the George Foster school of value, which is the virtual opposite of Hall of Fame school of value. talented is exhibited, value confirmed, place in the hierarchy established, consideration then given to durability & decline in an ancillary fashion. George Foster scared the piss out of pitchers more than anyone but Willie McCovey or Barry Bonds for FIVE YEARS. there are probably a hundred batters in the HOF who NEVER scared a pitcher - that's why you've never seen a comment from me on any Hall of Fame that wasn't 99% spit.

we are dealing with two dead guys - RLewis & DPetrovic - i know of. value established on both - 100 out of 100 b-ball people would have told you Lewis was only getting better and Drazen would only have drawn more deliciously irritating comparisons to Kobe. they were both undervalued by the quantifying HOFheads who make up most of the "letter" gens (that's your value). it's not close to being right.

in the draft a decade ago, i considered injured guys higher as long as they had definitively established their value before they became less available. Waltons, Hills - hell yes. Penny established greatness, perhaps not alltimeness. Same with Amare. McGrady's willingness to play at less than his best influences his alltime value (i put him behind Penny, ahead of Amare). I watched Derrick Rose play last nite and it almost made me cry. but a great. Oden, Bowie, of course not. 

Then there's my guy, all-time Top 5 center, Sabonis. His value as such was never established here. Even if one didnt see him play Euroball (as i did), one could extrapolate that, if he was a leading player on a playoff team when he could qualify for handicapped parking at the arena, but i get it that some cant go there. recent FFA drafts have showed me, tho,  that number of allstar games played more than actual stardom with this set, so.....

Then there's the kids. I count 12 players on 2010 - including one of mine (but he fit my team and kids were flying off the board) - who have not establlshed alltime value. my guess is that all but maybe 2 will, but they shouldnt have been drafted. Embiid could end up the best i ever seen but, one year ago, Aron frikkin Baynes types could lean on him and get him to stop laying. no value yet. Doncic, 3rd season but he's been the Magic/Bird/Westbrook/Harden from day one. yes value

there. wanted to lay that down before the next phase. nufced
I agree with a lot of this regarding knowing g a guy is great.  I think there are a handful under 5 years I. The league right now that have shown that.  Doncic for sure....I think Mitchell is another.  He has improved every season and is the best player on the team with the best record right now.  Guys like Booker are close and I wouldn't ding too much.  Trey Young is a stats guy on a bad team so not sure if that qualifies as proving it yet.

It's what makes this decade the hardest to rank across the board.

Last call for 2010s rankings!  I’ll release the results earlier if we’re done (haven’t gotten any for a while now). 

2010s Rankings

Judging

I took all the rankings provided to me (9 total judges) and averaged all the scores for an overall ranking.  Ties will be broken based on which team had the most judges ranking it higher (we had no ties this time).  

We had some stacked teams at the top, some not-so-stacked teams at the bottom, and a big group in the middle of our standings with some really wide ranges of judging.

On to the rankings. . .

2010s Rankings, continued

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES DIVISION

Kaaaaahhnnnn!!!!!  The first of our meme teams for the decade.  The T-wolves never recovered from the Kevin Garnett trade in 2007.   In 2009, the franchise hired David Kahn as president of basketball ops and followed that up by signing Kurt Rambis to a four year deal to be their head coach – ouch!  Also that year, they famously picked not one, but two PGs ahead of Steph Curry (and one of those was Jonny Flynn) – double ouch!  The 2010 draft brought Wesley Johnson ahead of guys like DeMarcus Cousins, Gordon Hayward, and Paul George.  I’d go on, but Frosty is about to reach through my phone screen Ring-style and choke me out.  Minnesota has had an amazing .348 winning % since 2010 and only made the playoffs one year in that span.

The teams in this tier shouldn’t have had Kahn in charge of their drafting in this decade either.

16th place - 1 point

Modogg  - Lou Williams, Monta Ellis, Luol Deng, David Lee, Joel Embiid

Average Score: 2.00   Best: 5   Worst: 1

15th place - 2 points

Higgins  - Russell Westbrook, Buddy Hield, Kyle Korver, Serge Ibaka, Hassan Whiteside

Average Score: 4.33   Best: 12   Worst: 2

14th place - 3 points

Ilov80s  - John Wall, Devin Booker, Jimmy Butler, Lauri Markkanen, Brook Lopez

Average Score: 4.44   Best: 11   Worst: 1

SACRAMENTO KINGS DIVISION

Kangz!!!  Another great meme team!  The Kings likewise made questionable draft picks, trade decisions, coaching hires, and front office moves the entire decade.  And when they did have some top talent on the roster, they couldn’t keep them happy or build around them.  The Kings have had a winning % of just .367 since 2010 and have not made the playoffs since 2006.

The teams in this tier also Kangz’ed their draft.

13th place - 4 points

Gally - Chris Paul, Donovan Mitchell, Josh Smith, Al Jefferson, Andre Drummond

Average Score: 6.11   Best: 13   Worst: 2

12th place - 5 points

Trader Jake - Trae Young, CJ McCollum, Jayson Tatum, Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan

Average Score: 6.22   Best: 10   Worst: 4

11th place - 6 points

EYLive  - Kyrie Irving, Victor Oladipo, Rudy Gay, Kristaps Porzingis, Demarcus Cousins

Average Score: 6.56   Best: 14   Worst: 2

10th place - 7 points

Timschochet  - Kemba Walker, James Harden, Brandon Ingram, Paschal Siakim, Bam Adebayo

Average Score: 7.00   Best: 10   Worst: 5

PHILADELPHIA 76ERS DIVISION

Out third meme team!  Trust the Process!!! The Process was to blatantly tank for better draft position, trade anything of value for any kind of draft pick, select injured players in the draft who could redshirt and watch further tanking, and if any of their lower round players looked like they had any value trade them off for more picks.  It got so bad the league forced the Colangelo’s to come in and wipe out any chance of that tanking project to succeed.  I guess the process worked because it landed them Embiid and Simmons and the team has made the playoffs the past three years, but those consecutive 19-63, 18-64, and 10-72 years were a marvel to behold.  The 76ers ended up with a winning % of .423 for the since 2010 which was only buoyed by a solid start and end to the period.

Just like there was some large differences in opinion of The Process and how successful it ended up being, there were some major differences in opinion in our judges for this group of teams (except for Doug, everyone pretty much agreed on his ranking as flat in the middle).

9th place - 8 points

Kev4029  - Mike Conley, JJ Redick, Danilo Galinari, Draymond Green, Nikola Jokic

Average Score: 8.00   Best: 13   Worst: 1

8th place - 9 points

Wikkidpissah  - Isaiah Thomas, Bradley Beal, Gordon Hayward, Ben Simmons, Karl-Anthony Towns

Average Score: 8.89   Best: 13   Worst: 6

7th place - 10 points

Doug B  - Steph Curry, Zach Lavine, Paul George, Domantas Sabonis, NIkola Vucevic

Average Score: 9.00   Best: 10   Worst: 8

6th place - 11 points

Mister CIA  - Luka Dončić, DeMar DeRozan, Kevin Durant, Julius Randle, Nenê

Average Score: 9.11   Best: 14   Worst: 3

5th place - 12 points

Scoobus  - Kyle Lowry, Danny Green, Carmelo Anthony, Paul Millsap, Rudy Gobert

Average Score: 9.28   Best: 14.5   Worst: 2

MIAMI HEAT DIVISION

Can we call the Heatles a meme team?  The Heat pulled off one of the greatest free agency hauls when they added LeBron and Bosh to Wade in 2010.  They became instant villains across most of the NBA, but had an amazing run for most of the decade.  The Heat have had a winning % of  .593 for the decade, have made the playoffs 8 times, the finals 5 times, and won the championship 2 times in that span.

Apparently there were a couple haters out there that didn’t like my team so it gets its own tier.

4th place - 13 points

Yo Mama  - Derrick Rose, Klay Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Anthony Davis, Marc Gasol

Average Score: 11.44   Best: 15   Worst: 6

Poor @Kev4029 and @scoobus somehow got a 1 and a 2. LOL. 
I’m guessing with mine whoever just hates Melo, he can be a polarizing player. With Kev, no idea. Would love to hear explanations, or anonymous explanations if people feel better doing it that way. Those 2 don’t make much sense to me, but it’s all subjective.

I’m guessing with mine whoever just hates Melo, he can be a polarizing player. With Kev, no idea. Would love to hear explanations, or anonymous explanations if people feel better doing it that way. Those 2 don’t make much sense to me, but it’s all subjective.
LOL - it was the same judge for both. 

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIVISION

The Warriors lucked into the best shooting backcourt of all time due to the horrible choices made by some of the other teams noted earlier in this decade.  They also lucked into a glitch in the salary cap that allowed them to add another max contract and front-runner as Kevin Durant joined an already stacked team to create a dynasty for the second half of the decade.  The Warriors had a winning % of .591 since 2010, broke the single season wins record in 2016, made the playoffs 7 times, the finals 5 straight times, and won the title 3 times in that span.

These teams all had depth, balance, and superstars to raise them above the others.  My team should be in this tier.

3rd place - 14 points

Instinctive  - Jrue Holiday, Khris Middleton, Kawhi Leonard, Dirk Nowitzki, Joakim Noah

Average Score: 14.33   Best: 16   Worst: 11

2nd place - 15 points

Frosty  - Rajon Rondo, Joe Johnson, LeBron James, Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge

Average Score: 14.39   Best: 16   Worst: 12

1st place - 16 points

Jayrod  - Damian Lillard, Dwyane Wade, Andre Iguadola, G Antetokounmpo, Al Horford

Average Score: 14.89   Best: 16   Worst: 13

#### I'm a Melo hater and I gave you a tie for 2nd best squad. 

Users who are viewing this thread