What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (2 Viewers)

Buck Williams would like a word with you, sir.
They overlapped for Ralph's first 2 years, so yes, there was Buck.  After that it was Charles Pittman, Herman Veal, Mark Fothergill, Taylor Baldwin and a young, still raw Len Bias.  So in what should have been Ralph's stronger years, he had to contend with a bunch of stiffs and a budding star that gave away 8 inches to him.

I lived and died with those Terps teams, so it doesn't really make me happy to slight them, but it is what it is.

They overlapped for Ralph's first 2 years, so yes, there was Buck.  After that it was Charles Pittman, Herman Veal, Mark Fothergill, Taylor Baldwin and a young, still raw Len Bias.  So in what should have been Ralph's stronger years, he had to contend with a bunch of stiffs and a budding star that gave away 8 inches to him.

I lived and died with those Terps teams, so it doesn't really make me happy to slight them, but it is what it is.
God, I forgot about Fothergill. 😝

I had thought I was reaching a bit on Camby, too.
First, you might have. I am a Denver homer. BUT, second going back to my posts earlier about how the NBA didn't really figure out the center position in the 00s, still playing big stiffs when there was no reason, Camby was one of the players that brought in the new NBA centers. He could get up on the pick and roll and chase smaller guys around a bit, and protected the rim with the best of them (although he did chase blocks and rebounds in spite of the team, sometimes). In the five years after the Nuggets draft Melo, Camby had 24 defensive win shares and had a 3.5 DBPM. For comparison, Gobert's last five years have been 22 and 4.2. The Nuggets were consistently a top half defense through his entire Nuggets career with a lot of relatively bad (save one PF yet to be drafted) defensive talent around him.

11.15 Paul Westphal PG 

Write up coming...
I'm actually kind of amazed he is still around. Probably more of a combo guard than true PG, but that fits fine with Walton and Thompson. He made 5 straight all-star games and 4 of 5 All-NBA teams (3 first team) to close out the decade averaging 22 ppg, 5.5 apg, and 1.5 spg while shooting 52%. During his peak, he was in consideration for best guard in the league with guys like George Gervin, David Thompson, and Pete Maravich. 

A bit surprised he’s still available - not many mvp’s yet to be chosen. Yo Mama selects:

11.16 - Derrick Rose, 10s PG

I need some scoring and shot creation out of my 10s PG, and Rose is perfect here. Injuries derailed his incredible start, but he still put up 8 excellent years at nearly 20/4/6 and a steal (not even counting his recent resurgence). Career averages of 18.6/3.4/5.5 and 0.8 steals.  He was also a stud in the playoffs with averages of 22.7/4.5/6.6/1.0

1x mvp

1x all nba

3x all star

rookie of the year

10s squad:

PG - D Rose

SG - K Thompson

PF - A Davis

C - M Gasol

A bit surprised he’s still available - not many mvp’s yet to be chosen. Yo Mama selects:

I need some scoring and shot creation out of my 10s PG, and Rose is perfect here. Injuries derailed his incredible start, but he still put up 8 excellent years at nearly 20/4/6 and a steal (not even counting his recent resurgence). Career averages of 18.6/3.4/5.5 and 0.8 steals.  He was also a stud in the playoffs with averages of 22.7/4.5/6.6/1.0

1x mvp

1x all nba

3x all star

rookie of the year

10s squad:

PG - D Rose

SG - K Thompson

PF - A Davis

C - M Gasol
Kept looking at him but already had a 10's PG

Kept looking at him but already had a 10's PG
same here. Leaned Deron Williams since i already had AI and thought Deron would fit better, but Rose is certainly up there. 

ETA: i also had Rose marked in the 00s instead of 10s  :sadbanana:

Last edited by a moderator:
God, I forgot about Fothergill. 😝
I think he spent a total of 6 years there. He redshirted AND sat out another season, both with foot injuries IIRC. By the end, he could barely get his feet off the ground.

I lived within walking distance of Cole Field House as a kid and we had season tickets for the 82-83 and 83-84 seasons. Until I got out of college, Maryland hoops was the only team in any sport I really cared about, and don't get me started on Keith Gatlin; he should be one of the players being considered for this draft.

11.13 Kyle Lowry, PG, 10s

6x All-Star, pita scrappy defender, knockdown shooter, Olympic gold medalist, nba champion, Philly guy.
I think there are a handful of PGs that might be objectively better players still out there, even in the 10s, but his skill set makes him so easy to fit into a super team. He's not going to create a good defense on his own (that's pretty well impossible as a PG) and you certainly don't want him to be your #1 option offensively in this setting, but he takes absolutely nothing off the table which is almost impossible to find at this point of the draft. 

1x mvp

1x all nba

3x all star

rookie of the year

10s squad:

PG - D Rose

SG - K Thompson

PF - A Davis

C - M Gasol
This was the one PG who I think is a better player in the 10s than Lowry, but his shooting and defense leave something to be desired. Makes a lot of sense for a team that really needs a lead ball handler with a strong defense around him, like you have.

My 90s coach is going to love this, but I’ve got to break the seal on this decade sometime. Yo Mama selects:

12.01 - Latrell Sprewell, 90s SG

An incredibly high-energy, durable, top-level two way player.  I loved watching this guy play and work on every possession both sides of the court.  Career averages of 18.3 / 4.1 / 4.0 with 1.4 steals and 0.4 block (averaged more in his GS days). 

1x all nba

4x all star

1x all defense

I blame PJ, he’s a #####. 

Definitely looked at him when taking Lowry, went with the better outside shooting and defense with how my team is coming together. Really sucks what happened to his leg, took out an insane player and what could’ve been a special career.

12.02 Gilbert Arenas G 00s

Another guy that had a ridiculous peak but a relatively short career of productive basketball. Three straight All-NBA selections (and AS games). Finished 12th and 8th in MVP voting in 05 and 07, respectively. 

Had a three year peak of 27.7 points, 4.3 rebs, 5.7 assists, 1.9 steals. He shot 9.2 FT a game and 7.2 3s. Had 36.0 WS, 23.0 PER, .570 TS%, and 4.8 BPM. 

Arenas was basically James Harden before James Harden. Lots of threes and drives to the hoop. 

He's going to play SG along side Steve Nash, but I don't think that's much of an issue. Arenas was a really big PG, and both Nash and Arenas played plenty off ball. 

My 90s coach is going to love this, but I’ve got to break the seal on this decade sometime. Yo Mama selects:

12.01 - Latrell Sprewell, 90s SG

An incredibly high-energy, durable, top-level two way player.  I loved watching this guy play and work on every possession both sides of the court.  Career averages of 18.3 / 4.1 / 4.0 with 1.4 steals and 0.4 block (averaged more in his GS days). 

1x all nba

4x all star

1x all defense

I blame PJ, he’s a #####. 
nice pick, but you should have done your own choke joke and saved me the 7 seconds of crippling blockness before coming up with this override

Your team is lacking in guards.  It must have been really hard for you to pass on him...hahaha
I am becoming concerned with my team and leaving MJ out to hang to not remain the #1 in NBA rankings and drafts. A few rounds ago i decided to ease off of the 00s and 10s thinking i have a much larger pool to get players from. 

It is becoming tricky figuring out how the pieces will fit too. It will be funny when some of us draft worse indiv. players going forward because they may be a better fit on that decade team, but they aren't as good as multiple indivs still out there. I worry i made that mistake with my Bosh pick. if we could have one draft pick we could pull back from, i think Bosh might be close to the top of my list. Sure he is now a Half of Famer, but his fit with Embiid on the team makes my coach's staff a little more complicated, and will influence who i pick for the other 3 i draft for that decade team. 

I think on one hand that makes this draft more fun. I could make a technically "bad" pick, but the end game with how the pieces fit could ultimately make for a better team then those with the individual picks. I think that may make the judging of this draft a lot of pages to discuss some of these aspects. 

could be a fun option with my post above about judging from the team view instead of 5 individual approach, if each team is allowed to look into one trade post draft to improve their teams.

i know this won't go because we could start to see teams drafting based on individuals to have higher valuable assets to trade with, but could be a fun option to think about.

I would love to give up a valuable player to think about taking a few guys i missed on for my pantheon and potential decade team

12.05: SF Detlef Schrempf, 1990s

In the 1990s, I get both the Indiana Pacers' Schrempf who played a more traditional power forward role AND the Seattle Schrempf who developed a 3-ball and turned into a huge matchup problem at small forward. At both stops he was a fantastic passer and an all-around heady player. A great guy to have in roto, he was typically good for 4-6 assists and a steal every night. Weirdly, for a 6'10" guy, he had over double the number of steals over his career than blocks.

@Mister CIA

Last edited by a moderator:

In the 1990s, I get both the Indiana Pacers' Schrempf who played a more traditional power forward role AND the Seattle Schrempf who developed a 3-ball turned into a huge matchup problem at small forward. At both stops he was a fantastic passer and an all-around heady player. A great guy to have in roto, he was typically good for 4-6 assists and a steal every night. Weirdly, for a 6'10" guy, he had over double the number of steals over his career than blocks.

@Mister CIA
hmm, sneaky good move there. those centers in the 90s will have some tough trudging with the one's already picked. thankfully Shaq came on in the 90s to not make it almost impossible.

fun thinking about which positions were potentially the strongest each decade. That is one reason i grabbed Embiid so high (and Jokic was the other one high on my list), he dominated almost all of those guys a few times (exception is Marc Gasul, where if we take him in his prime it will be a spot where Embiid will need to be the later Embiid who has really picked up his ability to handle double/triple teams) 

In the 1990s, I get both the Indiana Pacers' Schrempf who played a more traditional power forward role AND the Seattle Schrempf who developed a 3-ball and turned into a huge matchup problem at small forward. At both stops he was a fantastic passer and an all-around heady player. A great guy to have in roto, he was typically good for 4-6 assists and a steal every night. Weirdly, for a 6'10" guy, he had over double the number of steals over his career than blocks.

@Mister CIA
my partial slips out every time i say this name

It is becoming tricky figuring out how the pieces will fit too. It will be funny when some of us draft worse indiv. players going forward because they may be a better fit on that decade team, but they aren't as good as multiple indivs still out there.
I just that for my 2000's team. I knew I was building around Kobe and I had a great day yesterday picking the exact 4 guys I wanted around him. I was debating between Marbury and Arenas, but decided to take the better assist guy over volume buckets.

12.07 - Peja Stojaković - SF/2000's

I need some 3pt spread the floor to go along with Howard, Duncan, and Parker.  Peja fits the bill.  He won the NBA Three-Point Contest two times, and was the first European-born player to win one of the All-Star Weekend competitions. Stojaković made 1,760 three-point field goals in his career which ranked 10th all-time at the point of his retirement. Stojaković currently ranks 20th in this category.

After starting in Crvena zvezda and while playing for PAOK, Stojaković was drafted fourteenth overall by the Sacramento Kings in the 1996 NBA draft. In the NBA, he had a breakthrough season in 2000–01 following two seasons on the bench, averaging 20.4 points and 5.8 rebounds while shooting .400 from three-point range in his first season as a starter. He finished second in voting for the 2001 Most Improved Player Award. A three-time All-star and a member of the 2004 All-NBA Second Team, Stojaković enjoyed success with the Kings reaching the 2002 Western Conference Finals. He also played for the Indiana Pacers, New Orleans Hornets and Toronto Raptors. Stojaković won an NBA Championship in 2011 as a member of the Dallas Mavericks.

Stojaković helped to lead the senior FR Yugoslavian national team to gold medals in the 2001 FIBA EuroBasket and the 2002 FIBA World Championship. Often considered to be one of the greatest European basketball players ever, Stojaković was named the Euroscar Basketball Player of the Year by the Italian sports newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport and the Mister Europa Player of the Year twice by the Italian sports magazine Superbasket.

Career highlights and awards

• NBA champion (2011)
  • 3× NBA All-Star (2002–2004)
  • All-NBA Second Team (2004)
  • 2× NBA Three-Point Contest champion (2002, 2003)
  • No. 16 retired by Sacramento Kings
  • FIBA EuroBasket MVP (2001)
  • FIBA EuroLeague Top Scorer (1998)
  • Greek Cup winner (1995)
  • Greek League MVP (1998)
  • 2× Greek All Star Game MVP (1996 II, 1997)
  • 2× Mister Europa Player of the Year (2001, 2002)
  • Euroscar Player of the Year (2001)
  • FR Yugoslavian League Most Valuable Young Player (1993)

@trader jakeTime to pick

12.08 Michael Cooper – SG 1980s

COOOOOOP! was the shooting guard for the 1980s Lakers “Showtime” Dynasty.  While other teammates got all the glory, Cooper did the dirty work and matched up against the opponent’s most dangerous offensive weapon.  His defensive prowess contributed to the Lakers five championships (he, Magic, and Kareem were the players on all five) and he took home 8 All-Defensive Team Honors and the Defensive Player of the Year award in 1987.

Of note, Larry Bird said Michael Cooper was the single toughest defender he ever faced.  They had some legendary battles, with neither giving an inch, but they’ll now be teammates on a 1980s squad.  If you can’t beat em’, join em’.

• Earned the NBA’s J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award in 1986
  • Head coach for two WNBA Championship teams (2001, 2002)

12.08 Michael Cooper – SG 1980s

COOOOOOP! was the shooting guard for the 1980s Lakers “Showtime” Dynasty.  While other teammates got all the glory, Cooper did the dirty work and matched up against the opponent’s most dangerous offensive weapon.  His defensive prowess contributed to the Lakers five championships (he, Magic, and Kareem were the players on all five) and he took home 8 All-Defensive Team Honors and the Defensive Player of the Year award in 1987.

Of note, Larry Bird said Michael Cooper was the single toughest defender he ever faced.  They had some legendary battles, with neither giving an inch, but they’ll now be teammates on a 1980s squad.  If you can’t beat em’, join em’.

• Earned the NBA’s J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award in 1986
  • Head coach for two WNBA Championship teams (2001, 2002)

double dang!! never been a more intense fan of anything as an adult like i was of the Norm Ellenberger NM Lobos of the late 70s. Coop, scoring machine Marvin Johnson & dime-inator supreme Russell Saunders - (backed up by my ol' wingman, Mark Felix - i remember helping him spend his commission after Hakeem (amateur athlete) spent like $2k at his shoestore during Final Four week) filled me w sports ecstacy like i never known, especially when BYU would come to town & Coop would create a 94-ft hostile work environment for Danny Ainge. Suh-WEET!!

I'm weirdly glad Cooper is off the board, because I've been looking at him for 3 rounds and thinking "could I slide Johnson to the 4 and have Cooper and Robertson on the wings or do I lose too much size?" Now I don't have to ask. Instead, I'll go with:

12.09 Bill Laimbeer, C 80s

I'll pair him up with Sampson to complete my 80s all decade squad. Kind of ridiculous in some ways that he never made an all-NBA team...until you realize that the entire roster of All-NBA centers in the 80s was Kareem, Moses, Hakeem, Parish. For like the first 7 years it was basically Moses and Kareem back and forth.

Laimbeer gives me some nasty next to the Sampson touch. He also would project pretty well in today's game, as an unexpectedly good 3-point shooter for the area, albeit on only 1-2 looks a game. At his peak he was 17-12, a good defender, and a 4x all-star. 

@Yo Mama. Would you be able to take a short draft list for me? There's a very real chance I'm going to need to be on the basketball court about the time my pick comes up.

Almost took this guy last round, but his flaw is such a major flaw that you have to have the right team around him to make him work. After snagging Joe Johnson last time around, I believe I have that team. 

12.11 PG Rajon Rondo, 10s

Career stats: 10.1ppg, 8.2apg, 4.7rpg, 1.6spg

Peak: 11.7ppg, 10.4apg, 5.1rpg, 1.9spg

Playoffs: 13.3ppg, 9.0apg, 5.9rpg, 1.8spg 

4x  All-Star

1x All-NBA

4x All-Defense

2x NBA Champ

3x NBA Assist Leader

1x NBA Steals Leader

15th all-time in assists

12th all-time in triple doubles

4th all-time in playoff triple doubles

8th all time in steals %

The accolades are there. We all know his flaw, but on a team with Lebron and the shooting of Aldridge, Love, and Johnson he'll have room to operate and do Rondo things. 

2010s:

PG Rajon Rondo

SG Joe Johnson

SF Lebron

PF Kevin Love

C Lamarcus Aldridge

@Ilov80s @iloverachel

Almost took this guy last round, but his flaw is such a major flaw that you have to have the right team around him to make him work. After snagging Joe Johnson last time around, I believe I have that team. 

12.11 PG Rajon Rondo, 10s
the dirty little secret of the Celtics last title is that the Big Three could have rammed & jammed at their best all day, every day and not even have come close without their new young starting point guard.

Users who are viewing this thread