What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alstot likely to retire (1 Viewer)

gbill2004

Footballguy
Bucs RB Mike Alstott may retire this off-season.

He hasn't made a decision yet, but sounded ready to leave. "The decision will be made. I don't know when, but it's been fun," Alstott said. Jan. 8 - 11:38 am et

Does this increase Cadillac's value in 2006 as he will likely get more goal line carries = more TD opportunities?

Last edited by a moderator:
Marginal increase......I still see Gruden bringing someone else in to replace Alstott's GL role to take opportunities from Caddy. I think that's just Gruden's mentality

All the neck issues last year........he even said he would probably be playing his last year before 2005 season started......mentioned his kids, etc.I thought this was already common knowledge.....

He hasn't made a decision yet, but sounded ready to leave. "The decision will be made. I don't know when, but it's been fun," Alstott said. Jan. 8 - 11:38 am et

Does this increase Cadillac's value in 2006 as he will likely get more goal line carries = more TD opportunities?
His value only increases if Alstott takes Pittman with him........

All the neck issues last year........he even said he would probably be playing his last year before 2005 season started......mentioned his kids, etc.

I thought this was already common knowledge.....
It was. :cry:

Marginal increase......I still see Gruden bringing someone else in to replace Alstott's GL role to take opportunities from Caddy. I think that's just Gruden's mentality
I don't know if it's Gruden's mentality. When Alstott wasn't there last year, Pittman was the every down back and there was no one used (or brought in) to be the short-yardage guy.Perhaps with Alstott and Crockett, Gruden was just fortunate to have two of the better short-yardage/goal line backs in recent memory.

What brought this on??? Lack of playing time? He hasn't been in the league that long...
He's been in the league for pretty long time. He was playing for the Bucs the last year they wore orange.

I wish Mike would already decide and not keep us all waiting. The media hype that surrounds Alstott is amazing. He had some good years but he is a shell of his oldself. He could have gone out on top after the Superbowl. Mike stayed around a couple years to long.

of course this potentially increases cadillac's role. we'll see who is brought in at rb this off-season

He played 10 years. Not that long, but not particularly short for a RB. He made 6 Pro Bowls, 3 All NFL teams, scored 75 TDs (including postseason), and played for a Super Bowl winner. Nice career.I agree with those who suggest that Gruden prefers to use situational backs. It just depends on whether or not he feels Caddy is his best short yardage/goal line back or not. We won't know until we know what backs are on the roster next year.

a running fullback will not be brought in. Gruden's offense likes to use a traditional blocking fullback who can sometimes catch a ball. Jameel Cook is a very good receiver who is a decent blocker. At the worst, Gruden will bring in another punishing leadblocker through the draft.

I can't help thinking that Alstott could have been better if he would have been utilized more as a half back. I think the guy would have been a Jerome Bettis type of runner if given the opportunity. What a waste. :thumbdown:

May go up, but TB likely to acquire a power back or use Pittman in this role. Pittman's value does go up.

May go up, but TB likely to acquire a power back or use Pittman in this role. Pittman's value does go up.
Someone else may take the role, but I doubt it's Pittman. He hasn't been all that effective at the stripe, and Caddy may be better equipped at that role.

Cadillac has a nose for the end zone. Alstott takes those reps because he is just so incredibly good at it. If he leaves, I see Cadillac getting those touches inside the 5.

Alstott needed a Dallas Cowboys type line for him to be a Bettis type. He was too slow off the ball for the trap blocking line that Tampa had back in his prime.........

Users who are viewing this thread