What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Am I going to get scammed on Craigslist? (1 Viewer)

Godsbrother

Footballguy
Back Story:

My elderly mother was on oxygen for the last 12 months of her life so I had purchased a portable oxygen concentrator machine so she could still be able to go to the store, dinner, etc..  About 3-4 months before she passed away in the O2 machine stopped working (it was under warranty).  We returned it to the online store for replacement and unfortunately she passed away before we received it (yes it took them 4 months to get here)

Anyway since she passed away I didn't bother opening it and a few weeks ago listed it online as new for $1,100 (they go for about double that if buying online).  I finally got a bite from someone asking me if I would take $750 and I figure what the hell it isn't doing me any good so I answer yes, $750 cash and it's yours. 

They come back and ask if it is new and I told them the story and that I have not opened it.  I assume that it is new but it could be factory refurbished, I really don't know, but I suggest that since these things are finicky they better test it.

They say okay and want to meet me at noon at a busy gas station right off the expressway at noon today.

I am thinking there is a pretty good chance they are scammers and are going to try to pay me with counterfeit cash.  I don't have one of those magical pens so I'll just need to check the paper watermark and serial numbers to verify there are no duplicates.

What do you think,  am I going to meet a scammer?

Back Story:

My elderly mother was on oxygen for the last 12 months of her life so I had purchased a portable oxygen concentrator machine so she could still be able to go to the store, dinner, etc..  About 3-4 months before she passed away in the O2 machine stopped working (it was under warranty).  We returned it to the online store for replacement and unfortunately she passed away before we received it (yes it took them 4 months to get here)

Anyway since she passed away I didn't bother opening it and a few weeks ago listed it online as new for $1,100 (they go for about double that if buying online).  I finally got a bite from someone asking me if I would take $750 and I figure what the hell it isn't doing me any good so I answer yes, $750 cash and it's yours. 

They come back and ask if it is new and I told them the story and that I have not opened it.  I assume that it is new but it could be factory refurbished, I really don't know, but I suggest that since these things are finicky they better test it.

They say okay and want to meet me at noon at a busy gas station right off the expressway at noon today.

I am thinking there is a pretty good chance they are scammers and are going to try to pay me with counterfeit cash.  I don't have one of those magical pens so I'll just need to check the paper watermark and serial numbers to verify there are no duplicates.

What do you think,  am I going to meet a scammer?
Pivot and have them meet you at a local bank and tell them you just want to have the bank check the bills.

Pivot and have them meet you at a local bank and tell them you just want to have the bank check the bills.
Good call.  There is a bank less than a 1/10th of a mile from the gas station so I may go that route if they decide they want to buy it

Or just have them pay via cashiers check or venmo or paypal.........there are lots of ways to ensure you get the money

The fact they want to meet you at a busy gas station is a good sign.  They're probably skeptical as well.  

Couldn't you ask the gas station cashier to look at the bills?  

Craigslist is a scammers paradise these days.  Facebook marketplace seems a bit more reliable, but all of this sounds okay to me.

Also, sorry about your mom, GB.  :(   

If they say God Bless or claim to be youth ministers it's likely a scam.

I'd meet at bank as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

The guy pulled up in a medical supply van.  I'm guessing he was 35 and aside from having no bottom teeth he didn't look like an axe murderer.  He takes a look at the box, sees it was unopened and hands me an envelope with $750.  I ask if he wants to open it to check it out and he says "no, you look like an honest dude" sonow I am concerned.

I checked the bills, they feel and look legit, have the watermarks and the invisible line stating the denomination.  If they are counterfeit they are really impressive.  I ask him again if he is sure he doesn't want to check it out and he says no.

So we shake hands, I jump in the car, and it's all done in 5 minutes.    

I'm guessing he sells these things as a living and if he can get a $2,400 unit brand new then $750 cost is pretty good.

The only downside is that my address is on the outside of the box so if there really is an issue he can come back and set my house on fire.

Update:

The guy pulled up in a medical supply van.  I'm guessing he was 35 and aside from having no bottom teeth he didn't look like an axe murderer.  He takes a look at the box, sees it was unopened and hands me an envelope with $750.  I ask if he wants to open it to check it out and he says "no, you look like an honest dude" sonow I am concerned.

I checked the bills, they feel and look legit, have the watermarks and the invisible line stating the denomination.  If they are counterfeit they are really impressive.  I ask him again if he is sure he doesn't want to check it out and he says no.

I'm guessing he sells these things as a living and if he can get a $2,400 unit brand new then $750 cost is pretty good.

The only downside is that my address is on the outside of the box so if there really is an issue he can come back and set my house on fire.
Sounds like you got some high quality counterfeits. Now you need to buy something for $750 on Craigslist to pass them on to the next sucker. 

Couldn't you ask the gas station cashier to look at the bills?  

Craigslist is a scammers paradise these days.  Facebook marketplace seems a bit more reliable, but all of this sounds okay to me.

Also, sorry about your mom, GB.  :(   
Yeah I could probably have gone into the gas station or to the bank but the bills look good.   I showed them to the wife and she agrees they seem legit.  If not, well then we'll have another update to the tread.

Thanks for the condolences.    She was 93 and in great health right up until the pandemic.  She never got covid but her body just began shutting down over the past year and a half.  It was tough watching her go through that so her passing was really a blessing.

If he had no bottom teeth, and the bills are counterfeit, he could have just as easily taken said bills and got dental work done. 

Most people are good honest people. The bad apples just stand out. Congrats on the 750 bucks! It’s a nice haul right before the holidays

I checked the bills, they feel and look legit, have the watermarks and the invisible line stating the denomination.  If they are counterfeit they are really impressive.  

I showed them to the wife and she agrees they seem legit.  If not, well then we'll have another update to the tread.

Sneaking one fake bill into a stack is one thing...using all fake bills in a transaction is another.  I've seen several fakes, but none were the new fangled bills with the water marks and enhanced security features, they're harder to fake than you think. Most counterfeit bills are the older style that can be printed at home on a regular printer.

Making good counterfeit bills is extremely hard. They are much more likely to beat you up and just take it.
Maybe not so much any more. Report on the radio this morning that a local area near here was seeing an influx of fake 100s.. that passed the marker test. All had the same serial number.

Update:

Was his name Rick, Hoss or Chumlee?

Maybe not so much any more. Report on the radio this morning that a local area near here was seeing an influx of fake 100s.. that passed the marker test. All had the same serial number.
The pen only tests the paper. That alone doesn’t make it a good counterfeit. (I’m agnostic on whether the counterfeits you mention are good or not without more information.)

Edit to add: They could be washed ones that are missing all the other security features.

Update:

Just a thought, if you use the $750 on hookers and blow the seller won't be able to turn you in for passing counterfeit bills.  :hifive:

i am glad you were dressed like a pirate because even though you left your name and address right on the package aint no one gonna mess with a pirate yarr take that to the bank brohan 

Many police stations have a “SafeTrade” type program, where can use the police station as a meeting place for online sales.

I guess this one went okay, but thought I’d share for future reference as an option.

Users who are viewing this thread