What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon Fire Stick $19 for Prime (Alt. to Chromecast/Roku) (1 Viewer)

Will the remote work his thing if it's plugged in the back of my tv?

I ordered it without even looking at the details bc you guys told me to.

I have an Apple TV that I've used for a few years. A chromcast that I tried for an hour. And now the fire stick. Going to be nice to use with my amazon prime. Plus I really like that is has a remote. Remote app on phone is ok but a physical remote is where its at.

I ordered mine pretty close to the end of the sale and originally had a December ship date that was just changed to next Tuesday in the last few hours. I would think they are moving everyone up and the original date was a really conservative estimate.

Is this a cut the cable concept with an eye to saving money or does all programming need to be purchased?

Just hooked it up. Been messing with it for the last half hour. Tried amazon video amazon music Netflix amazon cloud photos and games.

This thing is awesome. So much more then ATV and so much quicker. This is coming from an Apple Fanboy I have Apple everything else. This stick kicks ###. Glad I got 2.

Ted Mullins said:
I ordered mine pretty close to the end of the sale and originally had a December ship date that was just changed to next Tuesday in the last few hours. I would think they are moving everyone up and the original date was a really conservative estimate.
Mine still says it isn't shipping until January and I ordered mine I believe the 2nd day of the presale.

Hawks64 said:
RUSF18 said:
SHIZNITTTT said:
I don't get it? I can stream online already with my laptop, or using an XBOX one, or PS4. What am I missing?
I bought it so I could keep it in a bag and plug into a hotel TV when traveling.
The only issue with this is that most hotels I am at don't have decent enough bandwidth to stream much of anything.
I can see that. I've had pretty good luck streaming when I'm traveling for work, but either way...I'll take some poorer quality and some possible buffering over having to watch commercials during whatever ####ty re-run I've found which seems to be all I watch besides sports in hotels.

Mine was here when I came back yesterday. Very happy with it - nice features of showing all the cloud photos I uploaded and free music through Prime.

Unless you have iOS devices or need HBO Go through it the Fire looks like the best of the streaming sticks.

If you already have Amazon Prime and a Roku what are the additional benefits of this device?
I don't have a Roku but they are very similar in what they do. Amazon is the Prime's main interface so you have immediate access to all of your Amazon products. The music and photo layouts are nice if you can pick it up for $19 again.

My date was dec 24th. Getting it today. Excited. I'm a prime member. Don't even mind the increase in prime price. Figure between time and gas saved on a few trips to the mall it pays for itself

Just hooked it up. Been messing with it for the last half hour. Tried amazon video amazon music Netflix amazon cloud photos and games.

This thing is awesome. So much more then ATV and so much quicker. This is coming from an Apple Fanboy I have Apple everything else. This stick kicks ###. Glad I got 2.
So what exactly does it do?

My date was dec 24th. Getting it today. Excited. I'm a prime member. Don't even mind the increase in prime price. Figure between time and gas saved on a few trips to the mall it pays for itself
A couple week ago mine was like mid-Jan. Now it's saying Dec 24th. Hoping it gets here sooner. I preordered on the 2nd day.

Highly recommend. I've been happily using Chromecast for the last year and a half and Fire Stick feels like a pretty big step forward.

Wheel of fortune game is awesome. Kinda the only good Chromecast game I've found so far.

Monopoly is meh... More of a guessing game.

never used any of the other sticks/tv stuff but am liking this a lot. Tons of good stuff to watch with Prime subscription.

if they could get deals with the major sports there would be no more need for cable.

So ours came in over the weekend.

I like the UI and it's nice having a remote. But hole hell is the video quality poor. We had a Chromecast hooked up to the same TV and never had any issues with video quality or buffering issues. But the Fire Stick looks terrible and takes for ever to buffer. Anyone else having similar issues?

I have the Amazon app on my tv.

what is the benefit of having the stick?
Easier to navigate, better performance. My Samsung TV has Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, Hulu, etc. I've also used Chromecast on the same TV to access Netflix and Hulu. I notice a clear difference in performance with the Fire TV stick.

I like the UI and it's nice having a remote. But hole hell is the video quality poor. We had a Chromecast hooked up to the same TV and never had any issues with video quality or buffering issues. But the Fire Stick looks terrible and takes for ever to buffer. Anyone else having similar issues?
That's not good, considering the main reason I ordered this (haven't gotten it yet) was the hope that it would have a stronger wifi signal than my Roku, which constantly buffers when streaming through Plex.

That's not good, considering the main reason I ordered this (haven't gotten it yet) was the hope that it would have a stronger wifi signal than my Roku, which constantly buffers when streaming through Plex.
I had problems with buffering when I was trying to watch something from Prime Video and image quality issues when watching a YouTube video. Had a Chromecast connected in the same spot and never had any issues.

Bought one, have tried it out for multiple nights watching Netflix. Much better than the minicomputer I was using for the same thing - no buffering issues whatsoever.

I had problems with buffering when I was trying to watch something from Prime Video and image quality issues when watching a YouTube video. Had a Chromecast connected in the same spot and never had any issues.
Have not had any of these issues. :shrug:
Weird. I don't know what is causing it. I mean I had my Chromecast plugged into the same TV in the same spot and never had an issue with buffering or video quality, so I don't think it's my router. I may try moving it to a different TV and see what happens.

Otis said:
I have AppleTV and Chromecast and for some reason I'm considering this thing too.....
I also have ATV and Chromcast haven't used either since I got the fire stick.

MattFancy said:
WhatDoIKnow said:
MattFancy said:
FreeBaGeL said:

Have not had any of these issues. :shrug:
Weird. I don't know what is causing it. I mean I had my Chromecast plugged into the same TV in the same spot and never had an issue with buffering or video quality, so I don't think it's my router. I may try moving it to a different TV and see what happens.
I haven't had this problem and the TV is in the farthest room from wifi. I have problems sometimes with my ipad in this room.

I love the fire stick. As others have said it's ui is great and the controller is awsome. Totally worth 39 and a steal if you got it for 19.

I did read a review saying it was mostly geared towards Amazon content. I completely disagree, Netflix is quick and easy to access. I great product.

Just got mine. I had no idea that I was going to have to plug this thing into the wall to power it. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of this ultra portable small form factor stick that plugs right into the TV?

Users who are viewing this thread