What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

American Jobs Plan (2 Viewers)

This is the only place Amtrak makes sense.  As far as thinking rail is going to displace vehicles to any significant extent...  Well, hopefully recreational drugs are legal in your state (not in mine!).   :P
Our self driving cars will zip around locally.  When going any further it will head to the ramps to drive onto the train where it can complete the bulk of the trip with a bit of comfort.   Freight will work pretty much the same way. 

Any way you cut it, the economy is going to sizzle for the next 4 years because of this and the Country is finally going to get some modern infrastructure out of it

Infrastructure, simply put, is not sexy.  You don't get a shiny new plane out of it...its not something people like spending money on despite that it needs to be done.

Look at our own lives.  How many would be better off spending stimulus money updating windows in our homes, or HVAC, or so many other things?  Rather than say, a bigger TV or other luxury.  How often do people update their own infrastructure other than when something fails or falls apart?

Infrastructure, simply put, is not sexy.  You don't get a shiny new plane out of it...its not something people like spending money on despite that it needs to be done.

Look at our own lives.  How many would be better off spending stimulus money updating windows in our homes, or HVAC, or so many other things?  Rather than say, a bigger TV or other luxury.  How often do people update their own infrastructure other than when something fails or falls apart?
Hardened power lines and new piping certainly isn't.  But, when it comes to bridges the gauntlet has been thrown.  We should be able to match these.

I'm also hoping with the trend in this country toward outdoor recreation that there will be monies put toward creating nature infrastructure - i.e. rails to trails, etc.

The building I’m working on has some conduit we ran for electric vehicle charging stations, with extra conduit for extra stations if needed.

I think he might be better off making the current corporate rate a flat tax with no deductions over raising the tax rate.  I think more on the right could get behind that.

We have so many total horse#### airports. Newark I'm looking at you.

Throw many dollars at these please.
Along with sticks of dynamite.  Newark is awful.  As is LaGuardia.  As is about 1/2 of LAX.  And DCA - can't wait until the train to Dulles is finished.

Yes, please put the most, first money into finishing the train into Dulles, por favor!

GOP and conservative media want you to cry about raising taxes

in 2018 91 fortune 500 companies paid zero federal tax - they paid more tax to foreign governments - but getting them to pay their share is a bad thing.
I'll say it - we should have a 0% corporate tax rate.

(BTW, corporate tax rates get flowed through.  Studies have shown a sliver goes to shareholders, 25% of the increase goes to cost increases to consumers, and 75% comes from pay and benefits of employees.  The thought that companies bear this cost is a terrible lie foisted on us by politicians.)

(BTW, corporate tax rates get flowed through.  Studies have shown a sliver goes to shareholders, 25% of the increase goes to cost increases to consumers, and 75% comes from pay and benefits of employees.  The thought that companies bear this cost is a terrible lie foisted on us by politicians.)
You may have a point.  But what's the alternative to bring that tax money in to fund government?  Is 0% done anywhere in the world?

You may have a point.  But what's the alternative to bring that tax money in to fund government?  Is 0% done anywhere in the world?
No, and there's details regarding goods for internal use, exports, imports, etc. that would have to be worked.  These corporate taxes are essentially a hidden tax on consumers, so the tax money would be made up with a consumption tax or an increase in income taxes.  All of which should be offset by the cost decreases in goods and services.

But politically this is a very hard sell, as the hidden taxes become explicit (ZOMG, you're raising my taxes!).  It would lead to a huge renaissance in American companies though.  The US would be the world's corporate tax haven, instead of Ireland.

No, and there's details regarding goods for internal use, exports, imports, etc. that would have to be worked.  These corporate taxes are essentially a hidden tax on consumers, so the tax money would be made up with a consumption tax or an increase in income taxes.  All of which should be offset by the cost decreases in goods and services.

But politically this is a very hard sell, as the hidden taxes become explicit (ZOMG, you're raising my taxes!).  It would lead to a huge renaissance in American companies though.  The US would be the world's corporate tax haven, instead of Ireland.
But it doesn’t address how to fund us improvements.  Like roads, airports, bridges, etc.  we need more money not less.

But it doesn’t address how to fund us improvements.  Like roads, airports, bridges, etc.  we need more money not less.
Increased job activity, increased velocity of money means increased tax receipts if income/consumption taxes are increased a bit to compensate for the loss of corporate taxes.

Increased job activity, increased velocity of money means increased tax receipts if income/consumption taxes are increased a bit to compensate for the loss of corporate taxes.
We just had a real life case of this - and it failed miserably

I agree it should be zero. In 2015 when the corp rate was 35%, we collected around 280 billion from corps. It's enough to fund the government for a few weeks. 

IMO, taxes should be funding a discretionary infrastructure annually.  Then the president along with congress gets to decide on the improvements to be made on that money.  

so it could be the wall or infrastructure or something else - but it shouldn’t rely on money being taxed under other presidents - which is where the wall would have failed and the current infrastructure plan.

but if you set it in motion, we will be rolling in progress

Wouldn't the companies just pass their "consumption tax" on to the customer?  :confused:  
The most popular variation of a "consumption tax" around here is the FairTax.  The FairTax only, in theory taxes end users of products and services and not intermediate steps such as a "value added" tax might.  At least in theory there is little tax to pass on, but again the FairTax people believe that all taxes are passed on to consumers which means that you don't pay income taxes either, your employer's (which could be you) customers do (or their customers' customers' ... customers).

The most popular variation of a "consumption tax" around here is the FairTax.  The FairTax only, in theory taxes end users of products and services and not intermediate steps such as a "value added" tax might.  At least in theory there is little tax to pass on, but again the FairTax people believe that all taxes are passed on to consumers which means that you don't pay income taxes either, your employer's (which could be you) customers do (or their customers' customers' ... customers).
So there is no tax on the purchase of raw materials by these companies?

I think maybe 10-20 trillion would be better

it's all funny money at this point anyway - why hold back at 2 trillion ?

I'm serious - if 2 trillion can do good, 20 trillion can do great

For the FairTax, at least in theory it is "retail" only.  And only for new items.   So raw materials are not taxes, only the finished retail goods (or services). 
Thanks....are "parts" to make the larger product "retail" or "raw material"?

Pretty much, I think you hit my issue on the head with this comment:  "all taxes are passed on to consumers" and why I'm good with a consumption tax and a dismantling of income and sales tax...if there is any avenue for a company to pass on the taxes they have to pay to the customer, they will.  

Pretty much, I think you hit my issue on the head with this comment:  "all taxes are passed on to consumers" and why I'm good with a consumption tax and a dismantling of income and sales tax...if there is any avenue for a company to pass on the taxes they have to pay to the customer, they will. 
Right at least in concept it just changes our current "consumption tax" model to spread across products more evenly as opposed to  skewing the tax to punish "American Made" (via the income).   My problem with the FairTax isn't the concept, but the dishonesty (whether it is actual lies or just ignorance) in selling the ideas.   That and the hostile way those lies are defended.  Especially since the movement was taken over a few years ago (though to be fair it has been a while since I revisited so maybe they have cleaned up their act).

Wouldn't the companies just pass their "consumption tax" on to the customer?  :confused:  
I don't see the point in charging companies a consumption or sales tax. They would indeed just pass that on, just like they pass on their corporate taxes.

As noted we only take in 250B or so in corporate tax receipts.  Just get rid of all that overhead and go to zero.

This is the exact opposite of what I would want.
I guess you'll have to unpack this.  I don't see the downside.  We become instantly a manufacturing powerhouse, a place to locate corporate headquarters with all those salaries, etc.

Which, it needs to be said, is a bogus assumption. Much like the idea that corporations pass on their tax directly to customers too. The world doesn't have fixed supply/demand curves for goods and services such that price doesn't matter. :lol:   

I don't see the point in charging companies a consumption or sales tax. They would indeed just pass that on, just like they pass on their corporate taxes.

As noted we only take in 250B or so in corporate tax receipts.  Just get rid of all that overhead and go to zero.
Right...trickle down doesn't work...we know this...it all ends up in the hands of the consumer.  However, as I pointed out before, the current choice is to take the tax revenues from the corps and the tax revenues from the consumers OR tax revenues from consumers only.  Let's be honest...we all know that if we removed the corp tax rate, the price of goods isn't going down, so why not take the corp tax revenue?

Right...trickle down doesn't work...we know this...it all ends up in the hands of the consumer.  However, as I pointed out before, the current choice is to take the tax revenues from the corps and the tax revenues from the consumers OR tax revenues from consumers only.  Let's be honest...we all know that if we removed the corp tax rate, the price of goods isn't going down, so why not take the corp tax revenue?
Even if that's true (and I'd believe public pressure would result in a step change like this being reflected in price drops), the increase in employment, velocity of money, etc. would be worth it.

Even if that's true (and I'd believe public pressure would result in a step change like this being reflected in price drops), the increase in employment, velocity of money, etc. would be worth it.
What historical evidence do you have to base this vote of confidence?  Either for the price drops or increase of employment....

Which, it needs to be said, is a bogus assumption. Much like the idea that corporations pass on their tax directly to customers too. The world doesn't have fixed supply/demand curves for goods and services such that price doesn't matter. :lol:   
I understand what you are saying in that a 10% increase in cost (whether taxes or something else) has nothing to do with whether or not the price of the finished goods can simply get increased by 10% (or more) to cover that increase.  Maximizing revenue and minimizing costs are closer to being independent variables or functions  than dependent or even interdependent.  (But not completely independent such a paying for higher costing but higher quality components.)

But I don't think this negates the idea.  I (or more accurately the FairTax people) didn't say that the cost of taxation was completely passed on to consumers, but that the consumers paid the taxes.  It is built into (embedded into) the price that employees charge employers for their time and efforts.   That is still true if taxes go up while that overall price (wages and/or salaries) remain static.  If this is me I take home less pay as I take on the burden of the tax hike, but conceptually the tax is still being paid for by consumer of the consumption of my labor.   

Just don't ask the average person to believe that they don't pay their own income and payroll taxes.  Some will even be savvy enough to argue they pay their employer's share of the payroll tax even if the paperwork doesn't show it.  This is just a different perspective on everything.   The common FairTax lie is that they allow you to believe that you pay these income and payroll taxes of yours  and then you pay everyone else's income and payroll taxes in the embedded cost of everything you buy.  They leave out unless pushed that these are the same taxes and are only being paid once so the perspective of who is paying needs to be an either or choice.  Both are correct choices independently (though which one is best is context specific), both as a choice  at the same time however is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
What historical evidence do you have to base this vote of confidence?  Either for the price drops or increase of employment....
We certainly have evidence of increased corporate activity in places like Ireland due to the relatively low corporate tax rates.  As far as price drops, I don't have any there.  I don't know of a precedent for eliminating a category of taxes like that.

But I don't think this negates the idea.  I (or more accurately the FairTax people) didn't say that the cost of taxation was completely passed on to consumers, but that the consumers paid the taxes.  It is built into (embedded into) the price that employees charge employers for their time and efforts.   That is still true if taxes go up while that overall price (wages and/or salaries) remain static.  If this is me I take home less pay as I take on the burden of the tax hike, but conceptually the tax is still being paid for by consumer of the consumption of my labor.   
This is undoubtedly true, and one of the advantages of eliminating corporate taxes is eliminating the compliance costs.  Those are substantial.

I think maybe 10-20 trillion would be better

it's all funny money at this point anyway - why hold back at 2 trillion ?

I'm serious - if 2 trillion can do good, 20 trillion can do great
You're certainly not alone.  And if there was ever an expense that came even close to paying for itself, it's infrastructure.

This is the exact opposite of what I would want.
I guess you'll have to unpack this.  I don't see the downside.  We become instantly a manufacturing powerhouse, a place to locate corporate headquarters with all those salaries, etc.
It's the difference between exploiting a flaw in the system and trying to fix the flaw.  I would prefer that the United States be a good actor in the world that helps to fix international problems rather than a greedy actor attempting to exploit international problems. 

In my view being a country where corporations go so they don't need to pay taxes in other countries isn't that different from being a country that harbors terrorists. That's just us letting corporations take advantage of other countries by trying to win the race to the bottom.

Biden's worldwide minimum corporate tax is an attempt to end the race to the bottom altogether.  It can be a benefit to the United States and also benefit other countries. 

We certainly have evidence of increased corporate activity in places like Ireland due to the relatively low corporate tax rates.  As far as price drops, I don't have any there.  I don't know of a precedent for eliminating a category of taxes like that.
Yeah, I meant here in this country.  Every piece of evidence I can point to (including the tax breaks as recent as 2018) is that those activities are not nearly as beneficial as companies will claim when they happen and benefit is rarely ever passed on to consumers.  

Yeah, I meant here in this country.  Every piece of evidence I can point to (including the tax breaks as recent as 2018) is that those activities are not nearly as beneficial as companies will claim when they happen and benefit is rarely ever passed on to consumers.  
Historical evidence is that the majority of the benefits go to employees, not consumers, so you're right there.

You're certainly not alone.  And if there was ever an expense that came even close to paying for itself, it's infrastructure.
except ... the Fed Govt doesn't have any money to spend, they're 25-30 Trillion in debt

why? because of gross overspending and no accountability 

but nobody really wants to talk about that ..... and the many of the ones accountable for all that spending people elect over and over

its a fascinating thing to look at and watch

except ... the Fed Govt doesn't have any money to spend, they're 25-30 Trillion in debt

why? because of gross overspending and no accountability 

but nobody really wants to talk about that ..... and the many of the ones accountable for all that spending people elect over and over

its a fascinating thing to look at and watch
There are plenty that want to talk about it...just not in DC and certainly not when their "side" is in control...rinse, repeat.  I mean we are adding billions to our deficits/debt yearly from the 2018 tax cuts and could be trillions if we don't reach 3-4% GDP (which we won't...so it will).  It's not fascinating at all.  It's pathetic.  That said, this proposal is paid for in the plan (if they stick to the plan of course).  That's a baby step up from "hey, they'll pay for themselves!!"

There are plenty that want to talk about it...just not in DC and certainly not when their "side" is in control...rinse, repeat.  I mean we are adding billions to our deficits/debt yearly from the 2018 tax cuts and could be trillions if we don't reach 3-4% GDP (which we won't...so it will).  It's not fascinating at all.  It's pathetic.  That said, this proposal is paid for in the plan (if they stick to the plan of course).  That's a baby step up from "hey, they'll pay for themselves!!"
yes and no

I don't remember the massive fed debt being anything debated on during the Presidential Debates - because they're all guilty and its NEVER about incoming money, its about how that money is spent and outgoing money

period

not a single poster here runs their finances like the Fed Govt does - accountability is non-existent 

tax cutting a half billion is chump change - this administration has spent what, 5 trillion already in 6 months? this Fed Govt doesn't bring in but 3.5 trillion every year

U.S. Tax Revenue by Year

Fiscal YearRevenue

FY 2019$3.46 trillion (actual)

FY 2018$3.33 trillion

FY 2017$3.32 trillion

FY 2016$3.27 trillion

yes and no

I don't remember the massive fed debt being anything debated on during the Presidential Debates - because they're all guilty and its NEVER about incoming money, its about how that money is spent and outgoing money

period

not a single poster here runs their finances like the Fed Govt does - accountability is non-existent 

tax cutting a half billion is chump change - this administration has spent what, 5 trillion already in 6 months? this Fed Govt doesn't bring in but 3.5 trillion every year

U.S. Tax Revenue by Year

Fiscal YearRevenue

FY 2019$3.46 trillion (actual)

FY 2018$3.33 trillion

FY 2017$3.32 trillion

FY 2016$3.27 trillion
The COVID extension was 1.8T I believe.  The one with the $1400 payments.  

The COVID extension was 1.8T I believe.  The one with the $1400 payments.  
spending is spending - and its hard to justify spending Trillions when you're already 25 TRILLION in debt 

its like a guy bringing in $35,000 who is already $2,000,000 in debt spending an extra $200,000 and nobody saying much about the sanity of it 🙄

spending is spending - and its hard to justify spending Trillions when you're already 25 TRILLION in debt 

its like a guy bringing in $35,000 who is already $2,000,000 in debt spending an extra $200,000 and nobody saying much about the sanity of it 🙄
Don't disagree....just not sure where the $5T number came from....by the way, glad you're back to caring about spending now, even if it's only when the other "side" is doing it...I got you at least half the time :thumbup:  

Comparing an individual's budget behavior to a country's doesn't seem to make much sense. The priorities are different and the ramifications of being in debt are far different.

Don't disagree....just not sure where the $5T number came from....by the way, glad you're back to caring about spending now, even if it's only when the other "side" is doing it...I got you at least half the time :thumbup:  
I ad hope Trump would bring something to the table on spending - he couldn't, and while he didn't spend more per year than Obama he certainly didn't stop and this Biden train ... good gawd ahmighty

3 trillion "infrastructure" and 2 trillion "covid relief" in first 6 months

5 trillion

might as well give everyone in the USA $100,000 and go 100 trillion in debt - its funny money now

Users who are viewing this thread