What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andre Johnson (1 Viewer)

acefootball

Footballguy
Will this guy finally show the potential we have all been talking about for the last few years? Will Kubiak help him be a top 10 wr next year? Top five even? Is Carr a good enough Qb to lead that offense ? This would be a great time to trade for him in a Dynasty/Keeper league if you think there will be significant improvement in AJ's numbers next year, I would like to hear why........or why not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kubiak won't have anything to do with it. The Left Tackle and a decent No.2 will :) .

Kubiak won't have anything to do with it. The Left Tackle and a decent No.2 will :) .
I completely disagreeHe's a bright offensive mind. He'll find a way to get Andre involved more as he was 2 years ago.

I traded for AJ recently in a 12 team dynasty with the thinking that he will start putting up numbers like he's been expected to. With a little line help and the new coaching regime I think top 15 is highly possible.

I traded for AJ recently in a 12 team dynasty with the thinking that he will start putting up numbers like he's been expected to. With a little line help and the new coaching regime I think top 15 is highly possible.
I'd settle for consistency

I agree with the LT big time- protection is the key here. I don't think they need an upgarde at #2 WR, I think Gaffney will be fine with same protection. These guys can't get downfield before their QB gets killed.

What do you guys think of Mathis playing WR more in 06? (I imagine this will directly/indirectly effect Andre)

I completely disagreeHe's a bright offensive mind. He'll find a way to get Andre involved more as he was 2 years ago.
A great offensive scheme is worthless if the QB doesn't have time to throw the ball.

Kubiak won't have anything to do with it.  The Left Tackle and a decent No.2 will :) .
A great offensive scheme is worthless if the QB doesn't have time to throw the ball.
with most things I'd agree with you (esp W-L)but not for the sake of this thread. If you look at the most sacked QBs, those few don't necessarily throw for puny yardage or not have a decent WR.

On the Houston WR situation

Andre Johnson- clear number 1, the question is do they get him the ball enough or in situation to make the big play. 2005 actually got him enough 63 catches missing 3 entire games and leaving in the 1st quarter of 2 others, but barely 10 yards a catch. 2004 yards per catch excellent, but probably not enough catches at 79. Have not used him effectively in the Red Zone at all.

Jabar Gaffney- UFA

Corey Bradford- UFA

Derrick Armstrong- RFA (tender not announced, but was undrafted) has shown flashes. Catches well, may not get open enough.

Jerome Mathis-runs like the wind, but has actually shown little to no real WR skill (getting open, route running, catching).

WR is actually a high level need just by the fact that the team literally does not have a guy who has even been a regular number 3 on thier roster. I expect to see the Texans sign one or two relatively cheap boring guys in FA.

Ive got a feeling that IF Houston takes Bush and IF he can stay healthy in the pros despite his lack of size and IF they can figure out a way to block for David Carr and give him a little time and IF the defense can keep teams from scoring early and often to the point that the O isnt driven to become predictable again in '06, then Johnson COULD have a little more room to operate with Ds designed to account for Bush first in a more balanced offense. There are alot of IFs and COULDs but the potential is there. But as much as I like Andre Johnson, I wouldnt draft him top 10 next year. If I could get him as a #2 with a solid #1 like Steve Smith or Fitzgerald already secured, Id give him a look. Clearly he has all the potential in the world. He just needs some help. Im not sure drafting Bush is the right thing to do.

Kubiak won't have anything to do with it.  The Left Tackle and a decent No.2 will :) .
with most things I'd agree with you (esp W-L)but not for the sake of this thread. If you look at the most sacked QBs, those few don't necessarily throw for puny yardage or not have a decent WR.
there's a lot of things that go into it. But anyone who thinks David Carr is as bad as Joey Harrington hasn't watched Carr play. He still makes intelligent decisions, and he just hasn't had a chance to succeed.Hopefully Kubiak will bring a winning attitude to this franchise, much like Marvin Lewis did for the Bengals.

Johnson will be the most undervalued receiver next year. A top ten season is likely, and a top 5 is a possibility.

Its not so muc the scheme as much as it is the talent. Johnson was double teamed, sometimes triple teamed due to a lack of a threat opposite him.. The TExans had no one to take the heat off of him, their WR/TE group is atrocious. And the Texans couldn't really afford to have him run long developing patterns due to the offensive line/David Carrs poor play.

A blind baboon with no thumbs and a severe case of hemorhoids couldn't misuse and forget about Andre Johnson any worse than Dom Capers did. Any change will be good for him.

A blind baboon with no thumbs and a severe case of hemorhoids couldn't misuse and forget about Andre Johnson any worse than Dom Capers did.  Any change will be good for him.
Aren't you being a little too tough on the baboon?I've been patient with Johnson in a dynasty. Always felt his situation held him back. He finished the season better than some may realize. Not counting the toilet bowl against SanFran to end the season, AJ was on a 100 reception, 1,200 yard, 4 TD pace over the last half of the season. Of course, the low TDs are a concern but you would expect an improvement with so many touches.

November Receiving Rushing Fumbles

GAMEDATE Opp RESULT GS Rec Yds Avg Lg TD

11/06 @JAC L 14-21 Yes 9 91 10.1 18 0

11/13 @IND L 17-31 Yes 4 42 10.5 14 0

11/20 KC L 17-45 Yes 6 50 8.3 13 0

11/27 STL L 27-33 Yes 12 159 13.3 33 1

12/04 @BAL L 15-16 Yes 4 70 17.5 24 0

12/11 @TEN L 10-13 Yes 3 27 9.0 16 0

12/18 ARI W 30-19 Yes 7 51 7.3 11 0

12/24 JAC L 20-38 Yes 7 119 17.0 53 1

I agree that a change (any change) will do him good. And the potential (as always) seems huge. He should be under-valued and a good #2 option. Top 15, maybe even top 10. I don't see him pushing top 5 yet though. To many proven, consistent receivers with less overall team question marks.

:confused:

A great offensive scheme will create time to throw the ball.

I agree with the LT big time- protection is the key here. I don't think they need an upgarde at #2 WR, I think Gaffney will be fine with same protection. These guys can't get downfield before their QB gets killed.
No no no. Pitts was excellent at LT last season. Once moved to LT, in 11 starts he allowed three sacks. He shut down Freeney twice. He shut down Jarred Allen. He dominated in the last three games of the season. He has been one of the NFL's best run blockers for a few years. He's Dom's best run blocker, and we all know they've been pretty good in that department. Orlando Pace praised the guy. Rayfield Wright said he was playing at a pro-bowl level. Carr praised him. Capers praised him. Houston has a very solid LT. He's still y9ung. He's signed cheap for five years. It would be a huge waste to invest a ton in the position with all the other problems on the OL. Pitts > Ferguson next year. D'Brick is going to need a little time, just like any LT not named Ogden or Pace. Pitts has put in the time and is playing great.Just because a line is bad doesn't automatically make LT the problem. Houston also has a decent center in McKinney, and a decent though aging guard in Weigert. Weigert was forced to play RT injured last year, and therein lies the problem. Both guards were awful and Weigert is not a tackle, so he stunk on the edge too.

They need a RT, and they need guards.

Johnson will be the most undervalued receiver next year. A top ten season is likely, and a top 5 is a possibility.

Its not so muc the scheme as much as it is the talent. Johnson was double teamed, sometimes triple teamed due to a lack of a threat opposite him.. The TExans had no one to take the heat off of him, their WR/TE group is atrocious. And the Texans couldn't really afford to have him run long developing patterns due to the offensive line/David Carrs poor play.
I agree that Johnson is extremely talented but I don't think alot will change from last year. There is simply too many holes to fill at other positions (namely LT, DB, LB, DE). The Texans definitely need a #2 WR but it probably not that high of priority for them.

And how is that any different than this coming year? I have heard very little of Houston having any interest in new WRs or TEs, they have many other holes they're looking at filling first..

No no no. Pitts was excellent at LT last season. Once moved to LT, in 11 starts he allowed three sacks. He shut down Freeney twice. He shut down Jarred Allen. He dominated in the last three games of the season. He has been one of the NFL's best run blockers for a few years. He's Dom's best run blocker, and we all know they've been pretty good in that department. Orlando Pace praised the guy. Rayfield Wright said he was playing at a pro-bowl level. Carr praised him. Capers praised him. Houston has a very solid LT. He's still y9ung. He's signed cheap for five years. It would be a huge waste to invest a ton in the position with all the other problems on the OL. Pitts > Ferguson next year. D'Brick is going to need a little time, just like any LT not named Ogden or Pace. Pitts has put in the time and is playing great.Just because a line is bad doesn't automatically make LT the problem. Houston also has a decent center in McKinney, and a decent though aging guard in Weigert. Weigert was forced to play RT injured last year, and therein lies the problem. Both guards were awful and Weigert is not a tackle, so he stunk on the edge too.

excellent post, and anyone who follows the team closely knows that Pitts is a better Tackle than Guard, and while the line has issues...it's certainly not with Chester Pitts.....but I'd add that McKinney played much better at LG than he did at C. The team needs a RG for the aging Weigert, a RT (unless you put Pitts there and draft Ferguson), and most likely a Center since Hodgdon may not be able to move out oversized interior tackles.If Andre is going to improve then David Carr is going to have to be more accurate throwing to his WR's on the run. Ted Marchibroda was doing the color on the game and said that Carr was easy to defend because he has a hard time hitting players on the run in stride. Most of his completions are on stop patterns, come backs, sideline patterns or hitch passes. Andre had to catch everything knowing that he was going to get creamed...he took a ton of hits last year and was beat up due to having to catch the ball standing still so much. Andre's numbers won't improve (for top fantasy consistency) until Carr "gets it" or we replace him.

there's a lot of things that go into it. But anyone who thinks David Carr is as bad as Joey Harrington hasn't watched Carr play.
huh? who mentioned Harrington? left field?

Thanks for good insight there. I had seen that a Houston writer said Pitts had done well in the 2nd half. But that's the first I saw it, and frankly didn't believe it. They moved him out of there the previous season. So now I am sold that Pitts is good at LT, and AJ needs help on other parts of the line to blast off. Carr and those short drop-backs were just awful. No WR can excel that way.

I think a Veteran WR would be ideal in Houston. Someone like Issac Bruce would be a perfect fit for getting this team moving in the right direction.

Draft Bush @ #1 or Trade down if the deal is sweet enough

Draft Offensive Lineman at #33

Sign Issac Bruce, Another Veteran Lineman, and some Defenive players.

My prediction--and it's just a feeling--for AJ is 1000 yards and 8 TDs. I think he rebounds in 2006. I would try to draft him as your #3, with the realistic hopes that he performs like a solid #2.

I have AJ in a dynasty and expect big things from him but not for a couple years. This year, I see im grabbing about 80-85 balls with 1000-1100 yards and 5-7 TDs. His greatest asset in dynasty right now is the fact that he is just entering his 3rd year--he will be a top WR for years to come...just not this year.

I have AJ in a dynasty and expect big things from him but not for a couple years. This year, I see im grabbing about 80-85 balls with 1000-1100 yards and 5-7 TDs. His greatest asset in dynasty right now is the fact that he is just entering his 3rd year--he will be a top WR for years to come...just not this year.
Those numbers would place him as around a Top 15 dynasty WR and be career best. Nothing to sneeze at in my book.

Top 10 season with a top five a possibility?!? I agree he COULD do it, but the offense needs to be revamped, i.e, they have to get good wr's oppoisite him.they STILL need to sign a veteran, maybe an Eric Moulds or someone of that caliber to free up AJ to do his thing on the other side. until then,all bets are off on AJ having a top 5 fantasy WR season...he'll be another also-ran WR if they don't go after a talented WR who can take some of the double/triple team coverage off of AJ..

Users who are viewing this thread