What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andrew Walter (1 Viewer)

caesarcrespo

Footballguy
I was surprised the Raiders passed over Leinart & Cutler, but this has to be quite the uptick to his value as the future QB in a solid passing offense with Moss,Porter,Jordan,Curry/Gabriel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had him in my late dynasty 30's as far as QB's went, but I definitely bump him into the late 20's with this move. :yes:

As you mentioned, a lot to like with that offense.

I think by acquiring Brooks Oakland was in no hurry to draft a highly touted QB. Brooks could be great in Oakland for the next 5-7 years and Walters could be a descent back up and step in later. I think they want to see how this 2 some makes out before looking to something else for the future. I think Brooks is underrated. Also, Oakland had much larger holes to fill.

I've been holding onto this guy like a freakin lottery ticket. :unsure:
I've said it before, but Nancy Gay (SF Chronicle writer) and my Raiders connnection says that Walter is a big Al Davis guy. And if Al likes you then you will get a shot.

I've said it before, but Nancy Gay (SF Chronicle writer) and my Raiders connnection says that Walter is a big Al Davis guy. And if Al likes you then you will get a shot.
Not much more important than getting that shot, but I don't think Walter has what it takes. I doubt he starts more than 10 games in the NFL (barring injury).

Not much more important than getting that shot, but I don't think Walter has what it takes. I doubt he starts more than 10 games in the NFL (barring injury).
I'm sorry to say I agree. I wrote a whole big thing about how he never showed me any heart while playing at ASU, but I cannot find the thread anymore. Basically, he threw for 1000 yards & 10 TDs against EastWestNorth Dakota State, and he would absolutely wilt and disappear, throwing INT after INT when playing against the big boys of the Pac-10.

I think Al Davis blew it BIG time by not selecting Matt Leinart at 1.07. :banned:

I was surprised the Raiders passed over Leinart & Cutler
I wasn't. It made no sense for Oakland to draft a QB.I had them passing on both in the draft prediction thread. Got Oakland right with Huff.I got Cutler right at the 11 spot. Didn't guess the Broncos would be the team though.I did get the draft spot wrong for Leinart though. I had him taken at the 8 spot. I thought Baltimore would have traded up to Buffalo's spot while still allowing Buffalo a shot at a defensive lineman at 13.Back to Walter though... still think he can sling the rock, makes all the NFL throws, and gets to learn the offense for two years. Exactly what was expected of him at his draft position.

I have no idea why people kept mocking the Raiders taking a QB. No way it was going to happen. I love what they've done in the draft so far.

All of the analyst love taking shots at Al Davis...yet his Raiders were in the Superbowl not too long ago. If you're going to hate on someone, hate on an organization that hasn't advanced in the playoffs or even made the playoffs this decade.

Way too much haterade going on.

First, I happen to believe that Walter can be a very good QB. I like his size, I like his arm, and I especially like his escapability in the pocket. He rolls off of hits and makes throws on the run. Granted, I haven't seen him play all that much in college, but I do like what I saw. Plus, being a Davis guy, he will most certainly get his shot to suceed, and perhaps as early as this year if Brooks falters.

Now about Brooks, I think he has a real chance to shine this year. Everybody is down on Oakland's offense after last year, and rightfully so. However, just remember that Oakland had a lot of major injuries last year, the biggest of which was Moss early in the year. From what I understand, his groin injury was very, very painful and bothered him the entire season. Porter's injury clearly slowed him down the whole season as well.

That being said, if (and it is a very bif if) Moss and Porter can stay healthy, with a solid Jordan running the ball, I think Brooks is being set up to succeed. He is absolutely going to make the bone head INT from time to time and fumble more often than you would like, but in the end, I like how Oakland's offense is setting up for 2006. If the defense can just improve to the point of not getting steamrolled, I think Oakland will surprise a lot of people this year.

What have you guys gotten from seeing Walter in pre-season last year? I live in freakin' N.Cali and we didn't get a single pre-season Raider game last year!

I think Al Davis blew it BIG time by not selecting Matt Leinart at 1.07. :banned:
As much as I like Leinart and think he'll have a good career, he wasn't a good fit in Oakland. Cutler may have been. I really like the Huff selection for Oakland. Schweigert and Huff make for a good duo in a division where it's needed.

All of the analyst love taking shots at Al Davis...yet his Raiders were in the Superbowl not too long ago. If you're going to hate on someone, hate on an organization that hasn't advanced in the playoffs or even made the playoffs this decade.

It's more fun to hate on the Raiders.I think most people have grown tired and are starting to be sympathetic towards Detroit. :bag:

The Raiders got a lot of static for passing on a QB, and I wonder if Leinart was SUCH a good fit, or if it just fit everyone's mocks.

Are the Raiders also fools for not moving up to #2 for Leinart?? If they had done that move, they would've been applauded by some for getting their guy, and we now know that it would've been a waste of resources.

I'm not sure what "hate" you're referring to... I think most people are objectively looking at {perceived} team needs this time of year.Personally, I think the QB position is holding the Raiders back. Moss was actually hurt last year due to an inaccurate Collins toss. I see Brooks as a little under-rated and an above average stop gap measure, a nice fit while you groom a franchise QB. I'm not impressed by Tui and, granted I haven't seen Walter play, but I'm not optimistic given what I've read about his college play.

Very nice WR core. I take Cutler or Leinart at #7.

Now about Brooks, I think he has a real chance to shine this year.
I just can't shake the image of him in a game last year when the Saints were inside their own 20, and Brooks was under a tremendous pass rush. Without knowing who was around him, he inexplicably and nonchalantly flicked the ball over his shoulder into the waiting arms of a defender who strolled into the end zone for the easiest TD of his life.It was the most sickening thing you've ever seen. You learn not to do things like that in Pop Warner football. That crap, combined with his stupid smiling after he comes off the field after throwing a pick..... I just can't stand the guy. I can't think of many more people I wish to get hit by a Mack truck. As much as I don't think Walter is a great prospect, I'd rather see him on the field than the guy who's been stealing money from the Saints for the past several years.

Now about Brooks, I think he has a real chance to shine this year.
I just can't shake the image of him in a game last year when the Saints were inside their own 20, and Brooks was under a tremendous pass rush. Without knowing who was around him, he inexplicably and nonchalantly flicked the ball over his shoulder into the waiting arms of a defender who strolled into the end zone for the easiest TD of his life.It was the most sickening thing you've ever seen. You learn not to do things like that in Pop Warner football. That crap, combined with his stupid smiling after he comes off the field after throwing a pick..... I just can't stand the guy. I can't think of many more people I wish to get hit by a Mack truck. As much as I don't think Walter is a great prospect, I'd rather see him on the field than the guy who's been stealing money from the Saints for the past several years.
Remember it quite vividly (and it's not the first time that's happened). I agree 100% with everything you said, including the Mack truck. The "he's just many young mistakes" excuses have run out for this clown. Aaron Brooks will still make the same mistakes you'd see if you threw Walter in there right now.

Who knows if Walter is the long term answer, but Brooks is merely a stopgap. I think the passing of Leinart & Cutler is all what they think of Walter & has nothing to do with Aaron Brooks.

First, I happen to believe that Walter can be a very good QB. I like his size, I like his arm, and I especially like his escapability in the pocket. He rolls off of hits and makes throws on the run. Granted, I haven't seen him play all that much in college, but I do like what I saw. Plus, being a Davis guy, he will most certainly get his shot to suceed, and perhaps as early as this year if Brooks falters.

Now about Brooks, I think he has a real chance to shine this year. Everybody is down on Oakland's offense after last year, and rightfully so. However, just remember that Oakland had a lot of major injuries last year, the biggest of which was Moss early in the year. From what I understand, his groin injury was very, very painful and bothered him the entire season. Porter's injury clearly slowed him down the whole season as well.

That being said, if (and it is a very bif if) Moss and Porter can stay healthy, with a solid Jordan running the ball, I think Brooks is being set up to succeed. He is absolutely going to make the bone head INT from time to time and fumble more often than you would like, but in the end, I like how Oakland's offense is setting up for 2006. If the defense can just improve to the point of not getting steamrolled, I think Oakland will surprise a lot of people this year.
Brooks will take his boneheaded decision making to the Raiders and will play himself out of a job before the end of the season (if not before). He will be on a shorter leash than he was in New Orleans.As an ASU alum, I saw every one of Walter's games in college. He did strugggle in some big games for the Sun Devils, but he didn't have a great supporting cast either. Even then, he broke all of the ASU records held by Plummer and PAC-10 records held by Elway. Dude has a great accurate long ball, which Al Davis covets and he will be a great fit for Randy Moss. Overall, I think passing on a QB in the first few rounds of the draft says alot about what the organization thinks of Walter. Even if they were high on Brooks, they know that a young, promising QB is needed on the roster and it is clear that Walter is that guy.

As an ASU alum, I saw every one of Walter's games in college. He did strugggle in some big games for the Sun Devils, but he didn't have a great supporting cast either. Even then, he broke all of the ASU records held by Plummer and PAC-10 records held by Elway. Dude has a great accurate long ball, which Al Davis covets and he will be a great fit for Randy Moss.
I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in the pros even though I called him The Tin Man. Sure, his O-line looked overwhelmed against the better teams in the PAC-10, but he threw some HORRID picks even when he had time to sit in the pocket. One of Oakland's strengths will be their offensive line, so Walter might just have some success.

I have no idea why people kept mocking the Raiders taking a QB. No way it was going to happen. I love what they've done in the draft so far.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Radballs and I have been singing pretty much the same tune. Al Davis doesn't show a tendency of drafting high-profile qb's. For better or for worse.

First, I happen to believe that Walter can be a very good QB.  I like his size, I like his arm, and I especially like his escapability in the pocket.  He rolls off of hits and makes throws on the run.  Granted, I haven't seen him play all that much in college, but I do like what I saw.  Plus, being a Davis guy, he will most certainly get his shot to suceed, and perhaps as early as this year if Brooks falters.

Now about Brooks, I think he has a real chance to shine this year.  Everybody is down on Oakland's offense after last year, and rightfully so.  However, just remember that Oakland had a lot of major injuries last year, the biggest of which was Moss early in the year.  From what I understand, his groin injury was very, very painful and bothered him the entire season.  Porter's injury clearly slowed him down the whole season as well.

That being said, if (and it is a very bif if) Moss and Porter can stay healthy, with a solid Jordan running the ball, I think Brooks is being set up to succeed.  He is absolutely going to make the bone head INT from time to time and fumble more often than you would like, but in the end, I like how Oakland's offense is setting up for 2006.  If the defense can just improve to the point of not getting steamrolled, I think Oakland will surprise a lot of people this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brooks will take his boneheaded decision making to the Raiders and will play himself out of a job before the end of the season (if not before). He will be on a shorter leash than he was in New Orleans.As an ASU alum, I saw every one of Walter's games in college. He did strugggle in some big games for the Sun Devils, but he didn't have a great supporting cast either. Even then, he broke all of the ASU records held by Plummer and PAC-10 records held by Elway. Dude has a great accurate long ball, which Al Davis covets and he will be a great fit for Randy Moss. Overall, I think passing on a QB in the first few rounds of the draft says alot about what the organization thinks of Walter. Even if they were high on Brooks, they know that a young, promising QB is needed on the roster and it is clear that Walter is that guy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brooks is a very good fantasy QB. Just a couple years ago he tossed 27 TDs. Last year with the horrible New Orleans situation, no home games, moral at a all-time low, Brooks and the Saints sucked. Oakland is a new beginning and having Randy Moss and Joey Porter to throw too has give Brooks a big boost. He'll make the mistate here and there, but for fantasy purposes he'll probably end up between 5-7 overall for QBs (if not higher). With Oakland not having a good defense, the formula is there for him to throw for lots of yards and TDs.IMHO

First, I happen to believe that Walter can be a very good QB.  I like his size, I like his arm, and I especially like his escapability in the pocket.  He rolls off of hits and makes throws on the run.  Granted, I haven't seen him play all that much in college, but I do like what I saw.  Plus, being a Davis guy, he will most certainly get his shot to suceed, and perhaps as early as this year if Brooks falters.

Now about Brooks, I think he has a real chance to shine this year.  Everybody is down on Oakland's offense after last year, and rightfully so.  However, just remember that Oakland had a lot of major injuries last year, the biggest of which was Moss early in the year.  From what I understand, his groin injury was very, very painful and bothered him the entire season.  Porter's injury clearly slowed him down the whole season as well.

That being said, if (and it is a very bif if) Moss and Porter can stay healthy, with a solid Jordan running the ball, I think Brooks is being set up to succeed.  He is absolutely going to make the bone head INT from time to time and fumble more often than you would like, but in the end, I like how Oakland's offense is setting up for 2006.  If the defense can just improve to the point of not getting steamrolled, I think Oakland will surprise a lot of people this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brooks is a very good fantasy QB. Just a couple years ago he tossed 27 TDs. Last year with the horrible New Orleans situation, no home games, moral at a all-time low, Brooks and the Saints sucked. Oakland is a new beginning and having Randy Moss and Joey Porter to throw too has give Brooks a big boost. He'll make the mistate here and there, but for fantasy purposes he'll probably end up between 5-7 overall for QBs (if not higher). With Oakland not having a good defense, the formula is there for him to throw for lots of yards and TDs.IMHO

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brooks is an above average fantasy QB, but that doesn't mean he'll keep his day job. He tends to make poor decisions at key times, which drives his coaches crazy. That doesn't always show up in the stat sheet. Brooks is one of those guys. And Art Shell doesn't strike me as someone with a high tolerance. His hook will be a short one. IMHO

I don't think I agree about Brooks being on a short hook this year.

Remember when Collins got hurt last year, it was Tui that got the nod. While I happen to like Walter, I don't think Oakland didn't go QB at #7 this year because they love him. IMO, I think Oakland is happy with the offense as it looks right now. Brooks, Jordan, Moss and Porter and an O-line that will hopefully play closer to expectations this year. That being said, I think the Raiders finally thought a draft through and focussed on need....that being the defense. With the potential of this offense, the defense doesn't need to be great, it just can't suck.

To me, I think Oakland feels Brooks is better and cheaper than Collins. He has a real chance to succeed this year and the change of scenery can be just what the doctor ordered for him. Stranger things have happened. And if he fails, they can give Walter a shot. If he falters, they can look to go QB in next year's draft or via free agency.

I think Brooks will be the guy in 2006, unless he really stinks up the joint and single handedly loses games for the Raiders. He may not be a stud, fantasy or otherwise, but he should be able to get the job done with what he has to work with.

Remember when Collins got hurt last year, it was Tui that got the nod.  While I happen to like Walter, I don't think Oakland didn't go QB at #7 this year because they love him.  IMO, I think Oakland is happy with the offense as it looks right now.  Brooks, Jordan, Moss and Porter and an O-line that will hopefully play closer to expectations this year.  That being said, I think the Raiders finally thought a draft through and focussed on need....that being the defense.  With the potential of this offense, the defense doesn't need to be great, it just can't suck.

To me, I think Oakland feels Brooks is better and cheaper than Collins.  He has a real chance to succeed this year and the change of scenery can be just what the doctor ordered for him.  Stranger things have happened.  And if he fails, they can give Walter a shot.  If he falters, they can look to go QB in next year's draft or via free agency. 

I think Brooks will be the guy in 2006, unless he really stinks up the joint and single handedly loses games for the Raiders.  He may not be a stud, fantasy or otherwise, but he should be able to get the job done with what he has to work with.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:goodposting: exactly. I posted this in another Brooks thread sometime back.

Brooks is underrated in my books.

Has he made some ridiculously dumb QB decisions in the NFL? Yes. But he is capable of being a good starting QB in the NFL and at this point in his career he is by far just as good if not better than the average NFL QB.

Ok, I know stats are not everything but from 2001-2004 before this past season Brooks was well above the average NFL QB and here are some stats to defend him; remember this is a 4 year average........

-14, 760 passing yards which works out to 3690 passing yards a season for those 4 years.

* this year only 7 QB's threw for more then 3690 yards. P. Manning had 3747 yards this season being the 7th guy. Remember 3690 was the 4 year average for Brooks. *

-threw for 98 TD's: works out to 24.5 TD's a season in those 4 years.

*only 3 QB's threw for more then 24 TD's this season: Manning, Palmer and Brady and Brooks averaged over 24 a game for those 4 years and it was not because he had one big year his highest output was 27 and his low was 21, therefore showing consistency*

-he had 1210 completions for an average of 302.5 completions per year in those 4 years

* only 6 Qb's this year had over 302 completions and remember this was a 4 year average for Brooks.*

-he ran for 959 yards for an average of 239.75 yards per season and had

9 rushing TD's in those years which is just over 2 per season.

*only 2 QB's ran for over 200 yards this season with Vick being one of them.

In 2001 through to 2004 Brooks did not miss a start. He was part of a good offensive team. He lead his team to a 32 and 32 record over those 4 years. That is not great but that definitely shows productivity. It's not as if NO had an ubeliveable amount of talent in those 4 years. Brooks is so underrated. Although inconsisitent at times I can't think of a player more hated. He has been the scape goat for far a sub par team and may flourish in another situation. He has a big arm and is mobile. For someone who just left his 20's this past month as he turned 30 I can't think of someone more hated for actually not being that bad. Many teams would love a QB with the numbers Brook put up over that 4 year span to go along with a .500 record as the teams starting qb.

Now, remember this is a new start with Oakland and he is surrounded with more talent than he had in in NO. I think Brooks may end up shocking a lot of people this year. Will he make some stupid mistakes? yes, but Favre who also makes some stupid mistakes has one an NFL MVP and a SB. Brooks was a scape goat in NO's and Oak will be just fine with him at the helm.

Remember when Collins got hurt last year, it was Tui that got the nod.  While I happen to like Walter, I don't think Oakland didn't go QB at #7 this year because they love him.  IMO, I think Oakland is happy with the offense as it looks right now.  Brooks, Jordan, Moss and Porter and an O-line that will hopefully play closer to expectations this year.  That being said, I think the Raiders finally thought a draft through and focussed on need....that being the defense.  With the potential of this offense, the defense doesn't need to be great, it just can't suck.

To me, I think Oakland feels Brooks is better and cheaper than Collins.  He has a real chance to succeed this year and the change of scenery can be just what the doctor ordered for him.  Stranger things have happened.  And if he fails, they can give Walter a shot.  If he falters, they can look to go QB in next year's draft or via free agency. 

I think Brooks will be the guy in 2006, unless he really stinks up the joint and single handedly loses games for the Raiders.  He may not be a stud, fantasy or otherwise, but he should be able to get the job done with what he has to work with.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:goodposting: exactly. I posted this in another Brooks thread sometime back.

Has he made some ridiculously dumb QB decisions in the NFL? Yes. But he is capable of being a good starting QB in the NFL and at this point in his career he is by far just as good if not better than the average NFL QB.

Ok, I know stats are not everything but from 2001-2004 before this past season Brooks was well above the average NFL QB and here are some stats to defend him; remember this is a 4 year average........

-14, 760 passing yards which works out to 3690 passing yards a season for those 4 years.

* this year only 7 QB's threw for more then 3690 yards. P. Manning had 3747 yards this season being the 7th guy. Remember 3690 was the 4 year average for Brooks. *

*only 3 QB's threw for more then 24 TD's this season: Manning, Palmer and Brady and Brooks averaged over 24 a game for those 4 years and it was not because he had one big year his highest output was 27 and his low was 21, therefore showing consistency*

-he had 1210 completions for an average of 302.5 completions per year in those 4 years

* only 6 Qb's this year had over 302 completions and remember this was a 4 year average for Brooks.*

In 2001 through to 2004 Brooks did not miss a start. He was part of a good offensive team. He lead his team to a 32 and 32 record over those 4 years. That is not great but that definitely shows productivity. It's not as if NO had an ubeliveable amount of talent in those 4 years. Brooks is so underrated. Although inconsisitent at times I can't think of a player more hated. He has been the scape goat for far a sub par team and may flourish in another situation. He has a big arm and is mobile. For someone who just left his 20's this past month as he turned 30 I can't think of someone more hated for actually not being that bad. Many teams would love a QB with the numbers Brook put up over that 4 year span to go along with a .500 record as the teams starting qb.

Now, remember this is a new start with Oakland and he is surrounded with more talent than he had in in NO. I think Brooks may end up shocking a lot of people this year. Will he make some stupid mistakes? yes, but Favre who also makes some stupid mistakes has one an NFL MVP and a SB. Brooks was a scape goat in NO's and Oak will be just fine with him at the helm.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We can always use another scapegoat here in Oakland. Deserved or not.

I think Brooks is extremely under rated. I dont know much about Walters except that he is a pac ten QB, which means he will be a huge bust.

Take a lood at Brooks' numbers, not to many guys can rival his numbers over the same span, especially when he has played on some bad Saints teams with arguably the worst coach in NFL history.

1563/2771 19156 Yards 56.4 Comp % 120 Touchdowns 84 Int

4 Season with 3500+ yards 2 with 3800+ yards

With the exception of last year he also had 4 straight seasons with 20+ TD

I dont know much about Walters except that he is a pac ten QB, which means he will be a huge bust.
Carson Palmer, what a pac ten bust.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, youre right, one guy, man, you OVVned me on that one....man, one guy....oh man you got me...... :rolleyes:

Dont worry about these guys though.....

Ryan Leaf

Cade McClown

Akili Smith

Todd Marinovich

Kyle Boller

Chris Redmon

AAron Rodgers (Once he plays, he will be a bust)

Steve Bono

Jay Schroeder

Hugh Millen

Rich Campbell

Chris Miller

Tommy Maddox

raiders will be drafting in the top 10 again next year, so they will have a chance to draft a QB....

I dont know much about Walters except that he is a pac ten QB, which means he will be a huge bust.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, youre right, one guy, man, you OVVned me on that one....man, one guy....oh man you got me...... :rolleyes:

Ryan Leaf

Cade McClown

Akili Smith

Todd Marinovich

Kyle Boller

Chris Redmon

Steve Bono

Jay Schroeder

Hugh Millen

Rich Campbell

Chris Miller

Tommy Maddox

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my point is that to assume someone will be a bust only by looking at the conference they play in is, at best, ludicrous. If you'd come out and said he'd fail because of something more concrete, then your statement would carry more weight.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ryan Leaf

Cade McClown

Akili Smith

Todd Marinovich

Kyle Boller

Chris Redmon

Steve Bono

Jay Schroeder

Hugh Millen

Rich Campbell

Chris Miller

Tommy Maddox

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my point is that to assume someone will be a bust only by looking at the conference they play in is, at best, ludicrous. If you'd come out and said he'd fail because of something more concrete, then your statement would carry more weight.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PS - Troy Aikman, Drew Bledsoe, Mark Brunell weren't exactly busts either.

Now, remember this is a new start with Oakland and he is surrounded with more talent than he had in in NO.  I think Brooks may end up shocking a lot of people this year.  Will he make some stupid mistakes? yes, but Favre who also makes some stupid mistakes has one an NFL MVP and a SB.  Brooks was a scape goat in NO's and Oak will be just fine with him at the helm.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Passing stats are, or at least can be, as deceptive as any out there in masking problems if you are willing to look at them in a vacuum. Here are stats from last year from one team: 419/670 (62.5%) 4723 yds 7.05 ypa 21 TD's. Strong number, right? No, these came from the Arizona Cardinals who were 5-11 and had one of the most inept offensive lines and running games I've ever seen, which means that the numbers came from having to pass and putting up a lot of garbage stats in games.

I will give Brooks credit - for a guy with supposedly horrible judgment, he has a remarkably good TD/INT ratio. That being said, he's played almost his entire career for one of the worst coaching staffs in football. The Haslett-coached Saints

were one of the biggest underachieving teams in the league given the talent they had. The question for me is whether he's willing to take coaching, especially this far into his career. I must say, however, that I don't sense the passion in him to improve that I see in others.

Raiders | All three quarterbacks take snaps with No. 1 unitFri, 5 May 2006 19:10:24 -0700Janie McCauley, of the Associated Press, reports Oakland Raiders QBs Aaron Brooks, Marques Tuiasosopo and Andrew Walter all took snaps with the No. 1 unit Friday, May 5. Brooks said, "I come in thinking I'm going to have to compete anyway. Nothing is given."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ryan Leaf

Cade McClown

Akili Smith

Todd Marinovich

Kyle Boller

Chris Redmon

Steve Bono

Jay Schroeder

Hugh Millen

Rich Campbell

Chris Miller

Tommy Maddox

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PS - Troy Aikman, Drew Bledsoe, Mark Brunell weren't exactly busts either.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Elway, Fouts, Moon.... hell, even Jake Plummer to a lesser extent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ryan Leaf

Cade McClown

Akili Smith

Todd Marinovich

Kyle Boller

Chris Redmon

Steve Bono

Jay Schroeder

Hugh Millen

Rich Campbell

Chris Miller

Tommy Maddox

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How could you forget Joey Harrington?

I think projecting what any player does in the NFL based on what college conference they are from is assinine.

I believe in Walter and think he is going to be a good player when given the opportunity.

Brooks is a above average talented Qb. When/If Walters takes the job for him I think he will be one as well. I see Walters starting for the Raiders eventualy. But he may still be a couple years or an injury to Brooks from doing that. Will just have to see.

Both of these guys have the potential to be top 10 Qbs given the weapons they have at thier disposal. I think they are better than Collins (who is still looking for a job) and Collins was the 11th best Qb in my league last year. And that was with all of the Raiders Wrs missing time due to injuries and not playing as well as they will when healthy.

I think by acquiring Brooks Oakland was in no hurry to draft a highly touted QB.  Brooks could be great in Oakland for the next 5-7 years and Walters could be a descent back up and step in later.  I think they want to see how this 2 some makes out before looking to something else for the future.  I think Brooks is underrated.  Also, Oakland had much larger holes to fill.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brooks can be great for 5-7 years ?We are talking about Quarterbacking in the NFL, right ?

:tfp:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ryan Leaf

Cade McClown

Akili Smith

Todd Marinovich

Kyle Boller

Chris Redmon

Steve Bono

Jay Schroeder

Hugh Millen

Rich Campbell

Chris Miller

Tommy Maddox

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When did Louisville join the PAC-10?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ryan Leaf

Cade McClown

Akili Smith

Todd Marinovich

Kyle Boller

Chris Redmon

Steve Bono

Jay Schroeder

Hugh Millen

Rich Campbell

Chris Miller

Tommy Maddox

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When did Louisville join the PAC-10?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not to mention Steve Bono was a 6th round draft pick (and he made a pro bowl).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ryan Leaf

Cade McClown

Akili Smith

Todd Marinovich

Kyle Boller

Chris Redmon

Steve Bono

Jay Schroeder

Hugh Millen

Rich Campbell

Chris Miller

Tommy Maddox

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
be sure to add troy aikman to that list. :thumbup:

Now, remember this is a new start with Oakland and he is surrounded with more talent than he had in in NO.  I think Brooks may end up shocking a lot of people this year.  Will he make some stupid mistakes? yes, but Favre who also makes some stupid mistakes has one an NFL MVP and a SB.  Brooks was a scape goat in NO's and Oak will be just fine with him at the helm.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Passing stats are, or at least can be, as deceptive as any out there in masking problems if you are willing to look at them in a vacuum. Here are stats from last year from one team: 419/670 (62.5%) 4723 yds 7.05 ypa 21 TD's. Strong number, right? No, these came from the Arizona Cardinals who were 5-11 and had one of the most inept offensive lines and running games I've ever seen, which means that the numbers came from having to pass and putting up a lot of garbage stats in games.

I will give Brooks credit - for a guy with supposedly horrible judgment, he has a remarkably good TD/INT ratio. That being said, he's played almost his entire career for one of the worst coaching staffs in football. The Haslett-coached Saints

were one of the biggest underachieving teams in the league given the talent they had. The question for me is whether he's willing to take coaching, especially this far into his career. I must say, however, that I don't sense the passion in him to improve that I see in others.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also would like to add to this that he is extremely inconsistent from week to week as well. As someone who's burned a pick on him in the past I've seen him do his routine of passing for 300 yds and 5 TD's one week and 140 and 0 TD's the next. He'll be mediocre just long enough for you to decide to bench him and then he'll blow up on your bench and pad his final stats. The biggest thing people can't stand about him is his lack of competitiveness as evidenced by the laughing and joking around on the sidelines after a major screw-up. You don't see the league's best QB's out joking around after a pick, they are upset about it and trying to figure out what went wrong. This guy just doesn't have the competitive fire and football smarts to go along with his physical talent. As for Walter, I'm hopeful as I have him stashed on my taxi squad in a dynasty league, but I'm keeping my expectations realistic and hoping he just gets a shot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ryan Leaf

Cade McClown

Akili Smith

Todd Marinovich

Kyle Boller

Chris Redmon

Steve Bono

Jay Schroeder

Hugh Millen

Rich Campbell

Chris Miller

Tommy Maddox

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Couldn't we take pretty much any conference and produce a list of chitty QBs?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ryan Leaf

Cade McClown

Akili Smith

Todd Marinovich

Kyle Boller

Chris Redmon

Steve Bono

Jay Schroeder

Hugh Millen

Rich Campbell

Chris Miller

Tommy Maddox

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Couldn't we take pretty much any conference and produce a list of chitty QBs?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Probably, but I'm sure others like producing this Pac 10 list (and I enjoy reading it), given every damn thread involving a Pac 10 player we have to see that idiot post Pac 10 = Conference of Champions.I'm sure everyone could bump the countless JJ Arrington threads too, but what's the point?

--------------

I think Brooks is no more than a stop gap. Is Walter the answer? Who knows. But we'll find out. Why go through a 30-year old QB making rookie mistakes when you can take a look at a guy 6-7 years younger doing the same thing?

Users who are viewing this thread